Rugby League | 2019 | St Helens v Salford in the final

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Apologies if there's a current RL thread and I've missed it, but I've just got to say: Salford are in the Superleague Grand Final :eek:

From dancing with relegation in recent seasons to third place in the League and now in the Grand Final at Old Trafford - how unlikely is that.

Anyone going to the Final?

Meanwhile, in other (geographically) unlikely news, Toronto Wolfpack play Featherstone tonight for a promotion to the top division. Toronto have home advantage (they were top of the Championship table) so Featherstone have flown out to Canada for the event.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Glad there's finally a Rugby League thread. Congrats to Salford.

My team are in the Championship and Toronto stomped the league. Can't see past them for promotion.

Been a mixed bag of a season for my side. Went into administration, flirted with relegation but made it to the 1895 Cup Final. I went to Wembley, was a good experience despite playing dismally. Now it is the off season and again it has been a mixed bag so far. Us going part-time, important players leaving, some signing new contracts and yesterday our head coach resigned to join a Hull's backroom staff despite only signing a new contract with the club less than two months ago so that has derailed things a fair bit.

Big Andy

Bloke
Warrington fell away badly at the end of the season. Cup win was nice though

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm in utter disbelief. Toronto are finally in the Super League! Next season's going to be tough, but we will all be in for a wild ride!

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
My team was trash as usual, we signed Gale as we've desperately missed an organiser but hes coming off a serious knee injury and barely played recently. If we can get anywhere near his man of steel form then itll be fantastic but it's a huge risk as his knee could blow out at anytime.

I'm not happy about Agar being given the coach job either hes rubbish. Its just a cheap option. It's time GH put his hand in his pockets for a change and brought in 4 or 5 new players too. Need a couple of forwards and a couple of backs minimum.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We were beaten by Salford the other day, after turning in one of the worst semi final performances I've ever seen. Fair play to them though, they played very well and deserve to be in the final. It'll be tough, but I hope they can sneak past Saints.

The one thing I don't like when you're at a Salford game, particularly when you're getting stuffed, is that their crowd have an entire repertoire of bastardised United songs which are annoying as feck to listen to when you like the United versions. "...we'll keep the red flag flying high, 'cause Salford rugby will never die"?! How very dare they.

Are they going to do the same next season where you play away for half a season then home for the other half of the season?
I read two home then two away then two home then two away etc

will continue having to play challenge cup games away from home. Imagine they’ll want to schedule challenge cups games either end of a two match run of home or away games or in the middle of two aways

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Are they going to do the same next season where you play away for half a season then home for the other half of the season?
Not necessarily. We will have several "home" games away from home at the start. Our first Toronto home game will be in April. That's all I know for now, though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The one thing I don't like when you're at a Salford game, particularly when you're getting stuffed, is that their crowd have an entire repertoire of bastardised United songs which are annoying as feck to listen to when you like the United versions. "...we'll keep the red flag flying high, 'cause Salford rugby will never die"?! How very dare they.
Lot of overlap between the fanbase though, so it's fair game, a bit like the overlap with the FCUoM chants. I must admit the first time I heard the, "I see the Salford reds are rising," thing it took me a while to try and pick out exactly what they were singing. It's quite nice to know the chants as soon as you arrive though.:smirk:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Lot of overlap between the fanbase though, so it's fair game, a bit like the overlap with the FCUoM chants. I must admit the first time I heard the, "I see the Salford reds are rising," thing it took me a while to try and pick out exactly what they were singing. It's quite nice to know the chants as soon as you arrive though.:smirk:
Speak for yourself, when you're sat sucking lemons in the other stand knowing the songs is far less of a treat :mad:

Although I did laugh at the versatility of their Glad All Over, it went from 'Jaaaack-son Hastings, we've got...' to 'Giiiiiiiiiil, Dudson, we've got...' by the end.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Looking forward to the grand final. I hope Salford twat them. For no particular reason.

I support Castleford, shame about Gale leaving but I think we got his best years, and unsure he'll return to his best. Got a good fee for him, and reportedly we're getting Danny Richardson for half the price and a lower salary. If that happens then it's a good deal for us.

Tribec

Getting ready to head out for some drinks before the game, this will be the second time I've seen Salford play at Old Trafford... That may show my age, but we won that day hopefully I'll be a lucky omen again.

Still can't quite get over that we are in the final, people are talking a lot over the fight the club has to survive not only on the field but off the field for the last few years, but it's been hand to fist since the late 70's. Yet, even then there was always something special about the club starting a run towards something, be it promotion up to the top flight or to Lancashire Cup finals etc. The excitement today, is as it was back in those days.

As for the song book, it's not an issue I mean lets be fair United did steal the nickname the Red Devils off Salford, so if they can share that, then the songs can be shared for sure.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I think every neutral fan is wanting Salford to win they’ll have the majority support inside Old Trafford no doubt.