Rugby League | 2020

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The season has begun so I thought I'd get a thread up, even if I may end up mostly talking to myself :lol:

We (Wigan) opened the season yesterday night with 16-10 win against Warrington. However I thought they were the better side for much of the match and were greatly stymied by Chris Hill's red card midway through the first half for almost decapitating Sam Powell in trying (unsuccessfully) to prevent our second try. They also had Mike Cooper sin binned with 16 minutes to go and we scored the final try of the match in a period when we had a two man advantage.

Despite the win I was concerned by our lack of application throughout the game. We had only Bevan French's individual brilliance near the try line to show as an attacking threat, the rest was very pedestrian despite busyness from Hastings (constantly cajoling those around him which I liked) and decent displays by SOL and Farrell. They may have only managed one try in their defeat but Warrington's fans will probably be the happier of the two sets based on performance, but hopefully we can use the two points earned in a poor display as a springboard to better things in the coming games.

I must mention George Burgess's debut as probably the worst I have ever seen in my years of watching rugby, or possibly professional sport. He lasted barely fifteen first half minutes in which he produced three missed tackles, one meek drive and was annihilated by Ben Murdoch-Masila for their first try. He looked overweight, positionally all at sea and absolutely gassed five minutes into the contest, so I hope he's ready to smarten up his act quickly or be dropped.

Yep. George Burgess looked like someone who either wasn’t properly prepared through pre-season or someone who thought Super League would be a lot easier than NRL

Agree. Warrington looked a better side, and the cards killed them - both correct decisions.

Wasn’t super impressed with Hastings. Wigan always tended to create space by passing out the back behind dummy runners and seemed he missed a few opportunities to do this

Very early days for both sides, and would still expect Saints to win it

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yep. George Burgess looked like someone who either wasn’t properly prepared through pre-season or someone who thought Super League would be a lot easier than NRL

Agree. Warrington looked a better side, and the cards killed them - both correct decisions.

Wasn’t super impressed with Hastings. Wigan always tended to create space by passing out the back behind dummy runners and seemed he missed a few opportunities to do this

Very early days for both sides, and would still expect Saints to win it
Aye, I'm hearing reports of his hip injury still niggling and ruining his preparations, but if he's not fit and conditioned he shouldn't start. We discussed darkly whether Lam's been told a big transfer from the NRL has to start, which we've heard happen in various cases in all kinds of sports. We'll see how he goes but it was a dreadful start for Burgess last night.

Agree on all other points, Hastings can certainly do better but he did at least look keen to get on the ball and it was his solid 80 minutes of chatter along the line that impressed me. We need leaders in this side and if he's already acting like a senior player it hopefully won't be long before he's playing like one.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Last year wasn't the best for Widnes but I went to Wembley to see them play so the end of the season wasn't too bad (though the way we played against the Eagles was atrocious).

We've lost a few players, brought in a few and Tim Sheens so I'm hopeful we can do well in the Championship this season, but I've not seen them play since the managerial/staff changes so got no idea how we are shaping up.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Last year wasn't the best for Widnes but I went to Wembley to see them play so the end of the season wasn't too bad (though the way we played against the Eagles was atrocious).

We've lost a few players, brought in a few and Tim Sheens so I'm hopeful we can do well in the Championship this season, but I've not seen them play since the managerial/staff changes so got no idea how we are shaping up.
I only heard you'd got Sheens and Logan Tomkins yesterday, the mate I go to rugby with lives in Widnes now and his mrs's company has office space in the stadium. I wish nothing but the best to the club, hopefully they've got their house in order and are ready to start the climb.

Northstand

The season has begun so I thought I'd get a thread up, even if I may end up mostly talking to myself :lol:

We (Wigan) opened the season yesterday night with 16-10 win against Warrington. However I thought they were the better side for much of the match and were greatly stymied by Chris Hill's red card midway through the first half for almost decapitating Sam Powell in trying (unsuccessfully) to prevent our second try. They also had Mike Cooper sin binned with 16 minutes to go and we scored the final try of the match in a period when we had a two man advantage.

Despite the win I was concerned by our lack of application throughout the game. We had only Bevan French's individual brilliance near the try line to show as an attacking threat, the rest was very pedestrian despite busyness from Hastings (constantly cajoling those around him which I liked) and decent displays by SOL and Farrell. They may have only managed one try in their defeat but Warrington's fans will probably be the happier of the two sets based on performance, but hopefully we can use the two points earned in a poor display as a springboard to better things in the coming games.

I must mention George Burgess's debut as probably the worst I have ever seen in my years of watching rugby, or possibly professional sport. He lasted barely fifteen first half minutes in which he produced three missed tackles, one meek drive and was annihilated by Ben Murdoch-Masila for their first try. He looked overweight, positionally all at sea and absolutely gassed five minutes into the contest, so I hope he's ready to smarten up his act quickly or be dropped.
Well done for starting a RL thread, mate. Strangely, the level of interest in the sport on this board seems pitifully low, so let's hope we can maintain a decent level of activity on here. I missed the opener last night, but from what my brother tells me, your assessment of the game seems fair. He did say Chris Hill's red card for the near-decapitation of Powell was harsh, but that's no doubt an indication of his bias. :lol: St Helens next up for Warrington, so it's a pretty brutal start to the season.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Well done for starting a RL thread, mate. Strangely, the level of interest in the sport on this board seems pitifully low, so let's hope we can maintain a decent level of activity on here. I missed the opener last night, but from what my brother tells me, your assessment of the game seems fair. He did say Chris Hill's red card for the near-decapitation of Powell was harsh, but that's no doubt an indication of his bias. :lol: St Helens next up for Warrington, so it's a pretty brutal start to the season.
No problem, we've had threads in some years but they rarely get much attention. It pains me to see Union threads so busy when that code is absolute fecking garbage in my humble opinion not the most interesting of viewing but each to their own :)

Yeah it doesn't get easier for Warrington but if they find themselves with no points from two there'll be no need for panic, you look a good team to me and Austin has as much talent and know how as any playmaker in the league.

As for Hill I think while Powell's falling for the line and there's no malice in the challenge Hill has endangered an opponent with a forceful high shot and had to go. The big decision Wire fans should be aggrieved with was the joke 'charge down' Joe Burgess got when he'd clearly knocked on. Everyone in the ground knew it and we were pissing ourselves to have got away with it.

Best of luck for the season and I look forward to getting petty and personal with you in here once the season hots up.

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
I only heard you'd got Sheens and Logan Tomkins yesterday, the mate I go to rugby with lives in Widnes now and his mrs's company has office space in the stadium. I wish nothing but the best to the club, hopefully they've got their house in order and are ready to start the climb.
Cheers. We've just announced a dual-reg partnership with Warrington

Thought it might have been Toronto as there have been links and they trained with us not long ago but eh. With the reserve league now in play I'm not sure exactly how the partnership will go, as Wolves'll probably want to play their players there instead.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Cheers. We've just announced a dual-reg partnership with Warrington

Thought it might have been Toronto as there have been links and they trained with us not long ago but eh. With the reserve league now in play I'm not sure exactly how the partnership will go, as Wolves'll probably want to play their players there instead.
It definitely makes sense but I feel for the diehard Chemics who have grown up as staunch rivals to Warrington now finding themselves supporting their junior partner. However reserve grade is considered by many to be of no proper standard to prepare players for Championship rugby let alone Super League and lower teams get the chance to have decent prospects training with them and helping them in the league, so dual-reg is often beneficial for both parties.

Last edited:
As for Hill I think while Powell's falling for the line and there's no malice in the challenge Hill has endangered an opponent with a forceful high shot and had to go
I love league, will watch one or two club games a week compared to zero for union

International a different story mind

But the fact there was doubt about that as a red card (amongst the sky sports commentators and pundits) and anyone still disputes it (Warrington fan or not) shows how far behind league is compared to union on player safety for head shots.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I love league, will watch one or two club games a week compared to zero for union

International a different story mind

But the fact there was doubt about that as a red card (amongst the sky sports commentators and pundits) and anyone still disputes it (Warrington fan or not) shows how far behind league is compared to union on player safety for head shots.
Yes, influential voices in the game need to get with the programme that that kind of contact between a swinging arm and the head isn't acceptable, accidental or not.

My remarks on Union are a little tongue in cheek. I do find it boring and am envious of their global appeal while we're struggling to grow our game outside of the M62 corridor, and the whole Vichy France business does rankle a bit, but obviously people love it so I"m not going to bitch to their faces about a sport they like. Also their international shits on ours from a huge height, I can't muster any enthusiasm for league internationals at all to be honest.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Salford got knocked senseless by St Helens in their opening match. Normal service returns.
Saints are the team to beat once again, hopefully we'll at least be closer to challenging them. Last year's derby games were dogshit from our perspective, they reminded me of the mid 2000s when we were all over the place and they were the undisputed best.

Northstand

Saints are the team to beat once again, hopefully we'll at least be closer to challenging them. Last year's derby games were dogshit from our perspective, they reminded me of the mid 2000s when we were all over the place and they were the undisputed best.
Big statement from Warrington tonight, albeit Saints were missing a few players. Apparently it’s the first time Saints have failed to score in a game since 2016.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Big statement from Warrington tonight, albeit Saints were missing a few players. Apparently it’s the first time Saints have failed to score in a game since 2016.
It is, I've just heard it's only the fifth time ever in SL they've been nilled. Great performance from you lot, Wigan need to start stepping up their performances or they'll find themselves behind this year by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Didn’t expect that result

And may be the case Warrington are now the second best team. But the season is so long and gruelling a key injury can change all that

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A poor performance from us after a not particularly impressive win first up, given the circumstances. Cas were depleted and still did the business, beating our pack with relative ease as we have no impact props. 'Marquee' man Burgess nowhere to be seen, Clark not ready, Partington and Smithies who I like are better defensively than with ball in hand, Clubb not fit/young enough unfortunately. Hastings and French were quiet and Zak for me is out of position and unable to affect the game for us, but I don't want to be too harsh on creative guys playing behind a beaten pack. Also penalty after penalty given away is infuriating.

Lam coming out with: "We got a little bit ahead of ourselves after last week. It's an opportunity to re-think and move forward again," is baffling to me as everyone in the ground last week knew we'd got away with it, why the team are getting ahead of themselves in light of two fortunate points is a bloody mystery. Work to do.

Tribec

Be interesting to see which Salford turn up against Huddersfield tomorrow night. I think it may take a while for this side to gel, they'll not do as good as last year, but I can see them finishing in the top 5. Watson is a good coach and has an eye for the right player for the team, which is needed considering how many players they lose at the end of each season. However, I can't see Kevin Brown doing the damage that Hastings did last year for us.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Be interesting to see which Salford turn up against Huddersfield tomorrow night. I think it may take a while for this side to gel, they'll not do as good as last year, but I can see them finishing in the top 5. Watson is a good coach and has an eye for the right player for the team, which is needed considering how many players they lose at the end of each season. However, I can't see Kevin Brown doing the damage that Hastings did last year for us.
No chance to be honest, Brown was a very good player and is still a top pro but age has caught up with him. On paper it definitely looks like you've less quality than last year but you're right to bring up Watson who did really well last year to make your team better than the sum of its parts, so hopefully he can do the same this time.

Last night Wigan ran out healthy 32-10 winners against Toronto, but based on our play over the 80 you have to say the scoreline flattered us. We were flat as a pancake for the first 25 minutes and had to be sparked into life by going behind. Early in the second half at 10-4 Hastings was pulled up for a marginal forward pass to send Farrell away, then Toronto levelled from a pass that was as marginal if not more so. That stirred the crowd, which had been funereal up to that point without any away fans nor decent play to work off, and the players who remonstrated at length with Chris Kendall. I was wary of us losing our heads but we channelled our anger into better, more ruthless play and piled on a few points against a weary-looking Wolfpack towards the end. We still looked one-dimensional in attack for long periods but French was dangerous again, with an awesome 20 metre restart that sent Joe Burgess over via Hastings, who is also developing a great understanding with Farrell. We were much better in the forwards with Mitch Clark and Joe Bullock coming in to add some power and mobility up front, so there are definite positives to cling to but I worry that a better team would have punished us for our pathetically slow start. We've got Hull FC at home next.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We beat Hull FC yesterday 26-12, and I'd call it our most complete performance of the season having been pretty good in attack and defence for 65 minutes of the game. French again looked good with ball in hand, barring a poor pass that allowed them to go the length of the field in the first half, Hastings looked much more influential and Manfredi returned with a try. A special mention also to our pack, which was much better today with youngsters Partington and Byrne in particular catching my eye. I understand Hull were missing a couple of players and didn't look great, but we did well to put them away and if anything we could have won by a greater margin, having gifted them both of their tries.

MUM

This will be interesting.

MUM

Saints fan here, my Son got me tickets for the Roosters game, the wife was not happy as it was our Wedding Anniversary, but we all went along and enjoyed the game. The Roosters did what I expected, the machine kept going and Saints were their own downfall, mistakes and a belief, especially in that second half, that we attack their left, to no avail.
Better than last time though, under Millward, when they nilled us.

COYS

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This will be interesting.
Saints fan here, my Son got me tickets for the Roosters game, the wife was not happy as it was our Wedding Anniversary, but we all went along and enjoyed the game. The Roosters did what I expected, the machine kept going and Saints were their own downfall, mistakes and a belief, especially in that second half, that we attack their left, to no avail.
Better than last time though, under Millward, when they nilled us.

COYS
Welcome mate, hopefully any trips you have to Old Trafford this year will be purely for United :D

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Hahaha, I appreciate your welcome but hope your wrong;).
Great to see RL get a spot on this site.
:p

George Burgess is back in our 21 to travel to Huddersfield this Sunday. They're in form this year so I'm expecting a tough game and if G Burgess makes the 19 I hope he's ready for it, as he looked short of fitness and conditioning during his disastrous debut vs Warrington.

Northstand

Warrington getting absolutely pasted at Leeds tonight. I think Steve Price could come under severe pressure if he doesn't turn things round pretty quickly. Last season's challenge cup win definitely papered over the cracks, as Wire have been on a dreadful run in the league.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Warrington getting absolutely pasted at Leeds tonight. I think Steve Price could come under severe pressure if he doesn't turn things round pretty quickly. Last season's challenge cup win definitely papered over the cracks, as Wire have been on a dreadful run in the league.
Yeah they’re falling apart tonight, absolutely leaked tries

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't know much about the intricacies but having read around a bit there's talk of a rotten culture at the club, where the senior players do their own thing away from what Price is coaching. Kev Brown gave an interview on Sky where he alluded to Price's methods not going down well. They looked a handful on the opening day and then nilled Saints, who were missing a few players but still, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

As for Wigan we played earlier today (love these Sunday clashes with United, thanks RFL) and came out handsome winners against Huddersfield. Having benefitted from Sezer going in the bin it sounded like a very good effort from us in attack, with a few things clicking. Forwards good, including a fine second half from G Burgess who seems to have got his fitness back, Hastings, Powell, French and young Harry Smith creative and the tries of the day from Partington and particularly Marshall, who when virtually the length of field from a kick return by virtue of his own kick over the top.

Next up is Hull KR at home on Sunday (same time as the derby, thanks again RFCunts!) and I'm hoping for more understanding growing in attack.

Northstand

I don't know much about the intricacies but having read around a bit there's talk of a rotten culture at the club, where the senior players do their own thing away from what Price is coaching. Kev Brown gave an interview on Sky where he alluded to Price's methods not going down well. They looked a handful on the opening day and then nilled Saints, who were missing a few players but still, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
This is all news to me mate, I must admit, but there does appear to be a problem when performances can fluctuate so much from game to game. Warrington have never in my memory been able to achieve the sort of consistency that Wigan and Saints have frequently managed.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This is all news to me mate, I must admit, but there does appear to be a problem when performances can fluctuate so much from game to game. Warrington have never in my memory been able to achieve the sort of consistency that Wigan and Saints have frequently managed.
Yeah I could be guilty of turning the RL rumour mill here, in my experience the most virulent there is given the closer proximity between the players and their local communities, but as you say the complete lack of consistency (no back-to-back league wins since June 8th I just read) suggests there's something up. When you're up you're up though, you were the better side against us and Saints so maybe a new coach and a few of the old heads moving on could help unlock the potential in that squad.

MUM

Early days in the season, much will change in the teams going forward.
Saints and Wigoon are again looking strong, but I was surprised in how easy Leeds brought down the Wire? Early days, lots to look forward to this season. Enjoy.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Just had a proper kick in the teeth from Salford. The first half was scruffy from both sides but we had the quality with ball in hand to get ahead. The second half was very disappointing from our point of view, when Salford upped the ante we had no answers. Woeful defence; missing tackles, leaving gaps for the likes of Williams and Evalds and pisspoor line defence to let Brown scoot over for the winning try. Also inviting the opposition to go the length of the field via interceptions or grounded balls is starting to kill us. You could argue it's an unfortunate side effect of a team trying to push the envelope in attack but it's not good enough handing teams six points from nothing (today's was particularly poor, a nothing kick from Powell that Evalds snapped up and ran with).

Reality checks at this time of the season do no harm in the scheme of things but that was poxy from our point of view. Salford played well and deserved it for sure, but when a team is turning around a 12 point advantage on you you know you've let yourselves down. Time to knuckle down.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
With 99%* of all known sport cancelled/postponed the RL season hobbles along through another weekend.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, but does care this means that Sky Sports has a live event to air.
Castleford v St Helens at 3:30
The show is underway now.

* Not a verifiable stat, not fact checked.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Caf, you need to get behind rugby league. It’s a decent sport, very watchable even for casual fans because of the intensity and fast-paced action.
Plus it’s the only sport actually on

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Caf, you need to get behind rugby league. It’s a decent sport, very watchable even for casual fans because of the intensity and fast-paced action.
Plus it’s the only sport actually on
Plus Kris Kamara was on Sky's coverage of Cas - Saints today, so Soccer Saturday fans wouldn't have found the surroundings too unfamiliar.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Plus Kris Kamara was on Sky's coverage of Cas - Saints today, so Soccer Saturday fans wouldn't have found the surroundings too unfamiliar.
Yeah I saw him at half time! Didn’t know he had anything to do with league.
Thought Cas were brilliant today, offloads at the point on contact were spot on

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

St Helens v Wigan from Good Friday 2004 live on Wigan's FB.

Absolutely amazing game, and I'm sure one of the last times we competed in a big game for quite a few dire years.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
RL has just restarted in Australia. Brisbane v Parramatta is live on Sky now. It's being played behind closed doors, but it doesn't sound nearly as hollow/empty as the football matches I've seen. I don't know if they've got a few hundred fans in there or if they're playing some kind of soundtrack. Whatever it is, it's not a bad background to the match.

Damien

Staff

Wolfpack withdraw from the league for the remainder of the season. They were bottom of the league with 0 points from 6 games. Does sound like they will be able to compete in the Super League in 2021 which brings up a whole lot of legal issues.