Rugby League World Cup - Oct/Nov 2022

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Kicked off about 25 minutes ago with England v Samoa in Newcastle. Currently live on BBC1 - England leading 8-0.

Tonight's match is Australia v Fiji at Headingly - 7:45 kickoff.

It's the Men's RLWC group stage that starts this week. The Women's WC and the Wheelchair team WC tournaments get going in November. The finals of all three tournaments are going to be played on the 18/19 November.

All the matches are apparently going to be broadcast live on BBC iPlayer and a bunch of games are going to be on the main BBC broadcast channels as well.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63061246

Thanks for the reminder :)

I used to love going to watch league games, miles better than union and what everybody will be playing in a few years when they ban rucks, scrums etc.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
England leading 18-6 at halftime. It might sound like it's an obvious result but Samoa are serious challengers, so it's a nice start for England.

The England player I don't recall seeing play before is Dom Young - he's got two of England's tries. He's only just turned 21 - talk about star quality.

Ollie Derbyshire

England leading 18-6 at halftime. It might sound like it's an obvious result but Samoa are serious challengers, so it's a nice start for England.

The England player I don't recall seeing play before is Dom Young - he's got two of England's tries. He's only just turned 21 - talk about star quality.
Plays in the NRL, looks some player though

Northstand

Don’t understand this at all . Samoa were bookies favs for this
Yeah, difficult to comprehend on the evidence of today’s game. England were good but the Samoans couldn’t keep hold of the ball and were shocking in defence for the most part.

MUW4Eva

Good to have both of the World Cups going at somewhat the same time, even if both codes variants are on the it her side of the world from each other!

England here played very well indeed, as did the Aussies after coming from a shocking start!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The opening weekend:
England 60-6 Samoa
Australia 42-8 Fiji
Scotland 4-28 Italy
Ireland 48-2 Jamaica
New Zealand 34-12 Lebanon

Fair to say, Samoa and Fiji have been the disappointments in terms of performances so far. Italy's win over Scotland surprised me, but that's probably just me not knowing enough.

For anyone wondering, most of the players we're seeing in the tournament actually play club RL in either the Australian or the English pro and semi-pro leagues - but there are some coming from semipro and amateur RL clubs in other countries including France, Scotland and the Lebanon. Some teams like Jamaica are using family links going back a generation or two to recruit their players.

Ollie Derbyshire

The opening weekend:
England 60-6 Samoa
Australia 42-8 Fiji
Scotland 4-28 Italy
Ireland 48-2 Jamaica
New Zealand 34-12 Lebanon

Fair to say, Samoa and Fiji have been the disappointments in terms of performances so far. Italy's win over Scotland surprised me, but that's probably just me not knowing enough.

For anyone wondering, most of the players we're seeing in the tournament actually play club RL in either the Australian or the English pro and semi-pro leagues - but there are some coming from semipro and amateur RL clubs in other countries including France, Scotland and the Lebanon. Some teams like Jamaica are using family links going back a generation or two to recruit their players.
Hopefully Samoan team builds confidence as the tournament goes on and also Tonga steps up and puts in some displays. Needs one of those to challenge in the semis really.

MUW4Eva

The Jamaican team makeup I thought aaa a bit dodgy, not too many sermed to be actual Jamaican...

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The Jamaican team was (mostly) assembled for the WC from UK born players with Jamaican heritage. Part of the motivation was to improve the geographical spread of the tournament and (admittedly) to have 16 teams in it.

The other aspects are important though. There actually are a handful of RL teams in Jamaica and they'd like to encourage more local participation there. Within the UK they hope it will act as a positive statement on diversity and encourage wider grassroots and youth participation.

I don't know how much success they'll have on either front, but I like the attempt.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Matchday 2.

Not holding out a lot of hope for Scotland tonight :smirk:

Friday, 21 October
Australia v Scotland (19:30 BST, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Coventry Arena, Coventry

Saturday, 22 October
Fiji v Italy (14:30 BST, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Kingston Park, Newcastle

England v France (17:00 BST, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - University of Bolton Stadium, Bolton

New Zealand v Jamaica (19:30 BST, BBC Three) - MKM Stadium, Hull

Sunday, 23 October
Lebanon v Ireland (14:30 BST, BBC Two) - Leigh Sports Village, Leigh

Samoa v Greece (17:00 BST, Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Eco-Power Stadium, Doncaster

Monday, 24 October
Tonga v Wales (19:30 BST, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens

Tuesday, 25 October
Papua New Guinea v Cook Islands (19:30 BST, BBC Three) - Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Thanks for the reminder :)

I used to love going to watch league games, miles better than union and what everybody will be playing in a few years when they ban rucks, scrums etc.
I generally enjoy reading your posts, but it is my duty to inform you that this is your worst post, ever. No, make that….eva.

Ollie Derbyshire

Matchday 2.

Not holding out a lot of hope for Scotland tonight :smirk:

Friday, 21 October
Australia v Scotland (19:30 BST, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Coventry Arena, Coventry

Saturday, 22 October
Fiji v Italy (14:30 BST, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Kingston Park, Newcastle

England v France (17:00 BST, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - University of Bolton Stadium, Bolton

New Zealand v Jamaica (19:30 BST, BBC Three) - MKM Stadium, Hull

Sunday, 23 October
Lebanon v Ireland (14:30 BST, BBC Two) - Leigh Sports Village, Leigh

Samoa v Greece (17:00 BST, Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Eco-Power Stadium, Doncaster

Monday, 24 October
Tonga v Wales (19:30 BST, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens

Tuesday, 25 October
Men's: Papua New Guinea v Cook Islands (19:30 BST, BBC Three) - Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington
I see Fiji v Italy, Tonga v Wales and PNB v CI being competitive, the rest not so much haha.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Final matches of the group stage in the men's competition:
Friday, 28 October
New Zealand v Ireland (19:30 BST, BBC Three & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Headingley Stadium, Leeds

Saturday, 29 October
England v Greece (14:30 BST, BBC One & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Bramall Lane, Sheffield

Fiji v Scotland (17:00 BST, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Kingston Park, Newcastle

Australia v Italy (19:30 BST, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens

Sunday, 30 October
Lebanon v Jamaica (12:00 GMT, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Leigh Sports Village, Leigh

Tonga v Cook Islands (14:30 GMT, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough

Samoa v France (17:00 GMT, BBC Two) - Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington

Monday, 31 October
Papua New Guinea v Wales (19:30 GMT, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Eco-Power Stadium, Doncaster

Some interesting looking matches on the list, including France v Samoa which is worth a QF place for the winner. Good chance of Lebanon going through to the QF, unless Ireland (or Jamaica) pull off a surprise.

----------

The women's tournament starts it's group stage on Tuesday:
Tuesday, 1 November
women

England v Brazil (14:30 GMT, BBC Two & BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra) - Headingley Stadium, Leeds

Papua New Guinea v Canada (17:00 GMT, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Headingley Stadium, Leeds

Wednesday, 2 November
women

New Zealand v France (17:00 GMT, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Community Stadium, York

Australia v Cook Islands (19:30 GMT, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Community Stadium, York

---------

The Wheelchair tournament starts on Thursday:
Thursday, 3 November
[/SIZE]
Wheelchair
Spain v Ireland (17:00 GMT, BBC Red Button & BBC Sport Online) - Copper Box Arena, London

England v Australia (19:30, BBC Two) - Copper Box Arena, London

From that point on we'll be seeing matches from all three strands of the tournament through to the finals.

Northstand

Some good stuff from England today, but far too one-sided for a quarter final.

PoTMS

I was thinking are the only good teams in this Australia, New Zealand and England?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I mean even NZ aren’t really that good. Australia are 1.2 to make the final as per bookies

Northstand

Awesome game tonight, between two outstanding teams. The question is whether Samoa, or hopefully England, can live with that level of intensity in the final?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Very much a casual RL fan but that was superb tonight. A great watch. Hope the final can match it.

Northstand

Another amazing semi final. England not at their best today but immense from both sides in terms of intensity and power.

Northstand

Really enjoyed both semi finals.

Such a shame for England. Real shame. Disaster of an extra time there.
It really was…the pressure really got to them there. I think the real turning point was the interception try though. At that point Samoa were on the ropes and I could only see anEngland win.

DanielofLeyland

Poor showing from England today. Samoa did well and probably deserved it. I suspect the final will be a very one-sided event unfortunately.

Northstand

Very unlikely to make a difference to the final outcome but how can a touch judge not see a foot in touch (the 40 20 kick)?

And for the love of God ref, stop them flopping on players and staying there, and make them stick to the 10. Ping them a couple of times, it stops.
Yes, agree on both points. As expected, the Aussies proving just too good though.

On a side note, what an achievement by Kevin Sinfield and his team, raising well over a million by running forty miles a day this last week.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yes, agree on both points. As expected, the Aussies proving just too good though.

On a side note, what an achievement by Kevin Sinfield and his team, raising well over a million by running forty miles a day this last week.
Yeah, fantastic effort (one must be tough… seven?!) and a ton of money for a great cause.