Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I like how New Zealand tend to poach the coaches from their club teams that are doing well and we are weirdly in a position to start doing that. Connacht's coaching staff, for example, are excellent.
Stay away from my Andy Friend :mad:

On that note, it's a transition year for Connacht. We've lost two senior coaches, but brought in one last week.

kidbob

Stay away from my Andy Friend :mad:

On that note, it's a transition year for Connacht. We've lost two senior coaches, but brought in one last week.
Ah yeah he was my favoured option for the Irish job but you guys definitely suffer enough. What is your opinion on what I suggested by the way? Say if instead of Farrell we had struck a deal (I mean they are on IRFU contracts already aren't they?) for Cullen and his staff to take over from Schmidt? I think its a cool idea, bring in staff to work with the provinces with the view to them possibly taking the top job. As I said I reckon Cullen and co know much more about all the players in the country than Farrell does. As does the coaching staff for the other 3 provinces for me.

Offsideagain

Not long before the Lions squad is announced. It will be heavy with Welsh players I guess and not that many English players this time and quite rightly l so. I guess he may consider Man Utd Tuilagi in the centre to partner North even though Man Utd has been out for months. You could agree that he is fresh and is not far from fitness. The Boks will be very physical as always so Garland will be looking for a team to stand toe to toe. Should be interesting come Thursday.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Ah yeah he was my favoured option for the Irish job but you guys definitely suffer enough. What is your opinion on what I suggested by the way? Say if instead of Farrell we had struck a deal (I mean they are on IRFU contracts already aren't they?) for Cullen and his staff to take over from Schmidt? I think its a cool idea, bring in staff to work with the provinces with the view to them possibly taking the top job. As I said I reckon Cullen and co know much more about all the players in the country than Farrell does. As does the coaching staff for the other 3 provinces for me.
It could have been brilliant. Farrell has been an underwhelming appointment from the very start. That's not really his fault. It's just how it is :D

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Not long before the Lions squad is announced. It will be heavy with Welsh players I guess and not that many English players this time and quite rightly l so. I guess he may consider Man Utd Tuilagi in the centre to partner North even though Man Utd has been out for months. You could agree that he is fresh and is not far from fitness. The Boks will be very physical as always so Garland will be looking for a team to stand toe to toe. Should be interesting come Thursday.
It always does this to me too :D

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Tuilagi on the right wing? It just might work!

Zoo

George North has done his ACL. Robbie Henshaw is nailed on to start, who partners him though is up for debate.

Reiver

George North has done his ACL. Robbie Henshaw is nailed on to start, who partners him though is up for debate.
Agree about Henshaw. I think it may well have been George North that partnered him, but think Ringrose is most likely to now.

I'm just hoping for a decent Scottish contingent, that doesn't include the coaching and medical staff.

Charlie Foley

Man Utd :lol:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Fitness permitting there won't be many shocks on the South African side of things. Who plays #10 if Pollard isn't fit will concern Jacques Nienaber and co. No Pollard means a choice of Elton Jantjies (Elton Pogba as I call him), a blast from the past in the form of Morne Steyn or a leap of faith in the form of Curwin Bosch.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I found this a fascinating article.
https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/...tion-rugby-referees-preventative-instruction/

At first, I thought, I thought "Yeah, sure, that's what they do, nothing special".

But then I thought - refs don't need to tell props to mind their bind, or players chasing kicks to wait because they started ahead of the kicker.

It's a huge sport-defining choice when you think about it. Imagine if football refs were constantly shouting things like "Onside, Marcus, stay onside!" :lol:

Reiver

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/...tion-rugby-referees-preventative-instruction/

At first, I thought, I thought "Yeah, sure, that's what they do, nothing special".

But then I thought - refs don't need to tell props to mind their bind, or players chasing kicks to wait because they started ahead of the kicker.

It's a huge sport-defining choice when you think about it. Imagine if football refs were constantly shouting things like "Onside, Marcus, stay onside!" :lol:
"Take the ball with you Marcus" is what I'd like the refs to tell him.

I think in rugby it comes from a couple of things. Firstly, the amateur roots of the game, where players almost always treated the ref with respect and this was again, almost always, reciprocated. One of the aspects of professionalism that I hate is the increasing number of players constantly on at the ref.
The other thing I think is that the rules of rugby can be widely interpreted - what one referee will ping a player for, another won't. (I know this is the case in any sport but it can be quite an extreme in rugby). So the referee giving that kind of communication is helping the players understand what they feel is acceptable or an infringement.

diarm

What does everyone's Lions squad predictions look like?

Wyn Jones, Marler, (Vunipola or Healy)
Owens, Cowan-Dickie, George
Furlong, Sinckler,
(Porter or Francis)
Itoje, Henderson
Jones,
(Ryan, Gray or Lawes)
Beirne, Curry, (Underhill or Navidi)
Watson, Tipuric
Faletau, Stander
Murray, Davies,
(T.Williams or Care)
Sexton, Biggar, Russell
Adams, May
Henshaw, Farrell
Ringrose, Davies,
(Tuilagi, Harris or Slade)
Rees-Zammit, Watson
Hogg, L.Williams

I reckon anyone in bold is pretty nailed on at this stage and then it's just who Gatland picks of the lads in brackets. Van de Merwe might get in over one of those wings or he might look at Kelleher or Simmonds as a bolter at 2 or 8.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
it’s a weird lions bunch for me, ranging from an embarrassment of riches in some positions, to a lack of real quality at others. i think the tour is a year too late/a year too soon. the older guard seem a bit past their best, the next generation not quite there.

saying that, i can see the likes of sexton not making the cut. i think there will be more than a few surprises to freshen things up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The difference is that referees in Rugby try to maintain the flow of the game. Also Rugby rules are sometimes complicated and subtle, players need instructions and to be reminded about rules.

diarm

it’s a weird lions bunch for me, ranging from an embarrassment of riches in some positions, to a lack of real quality at others. i think the tour is a year too late/a year too soon. the older guard seem a bit past their best, the next generation not quite there.

saying that, i can see the likes of sexton not making the cut. i think there will be more than a few surprises to freshen things up.
This is very true.

I'm not sure how many surprises he'll go with. Kelleher and Simmonds are two that I'd like to see included but I think it's far more likely he goes with older, experienced but out of form or legs options like the Vunipolas, Sexton and Tuilagi. Lot of rumours that Danny Care is getting the call which would be a big surprise but I read he's been playing very well.

I'm sickened George North is out. A Henshaw/North partnership was one of the things I was really looking forward to.

diarm

It sounds like Simmonds is in.

Gatland has said he's bringing 20 forwards so you'd imagine 6 props, 3 hookers, 4.5 locks and 6.5 backrowers. If you assume Beirne will go as the lock/backrow option (Lawes the other possible option) and accept that Tipuric, Watson, Curry and Faletau are nailed on along with Simmonds.

That leaves one backrow spot to be filled by either Navidi, Underhill or Stander (possibly Lawes/Beirne). That's maybe the tightest call in the entire squad.

diarm

I am fecking stunned at that squad. But I'm going to make a fortune betting on red and yellow cards with Aki, Hill, Itoje, Lawes and Fagerson all playing in South Africa.

Rooney1987

No Sexton, no James Ryan, no Kyle Sinckler. Going off Twitter, there is some surprise at the inclusion of both Bundee Aki and Jonny Hill.
From an England perspective this for me is the most shocking, he can be a pain but no way is Zander Fagerson better than Kyle Sinkler. The starting Furlong with Sinkler to finish was so effective last time. Daly, Mako both been awful for a while now. Jonny Hill might look decent for Exeter but hes was bang average for England, did not take to international rugby at all.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
After our shocking performance at the 6N and all the talk of a gatland welsh-centric squad.....more Englishmen than any other nations.
Some really questionable ones as well. George, Mako and LCD can count themselves lucky. Lawes is a shock, unless he’s just there to injure Faf. Pleased for Hill, I think he’ll be decent. Daly, fecks sake, how does he do it? No idea what position he’s there for, he’s behind everyone (for me) for centre, wing, and fullback.
Should have taken Sincks.

Zoo

Really surprised to see Bundee Aki get in ahead of Davies, Slade and Ringrose. And James Ryan was not long ago talked about as a potential Lions captain!

Also Gatland had a wealth of back row options to choose from but IMO Navidi is really unlucky to miss out, such an underrated player who can play 6, 7 and even at at number 8.

diarm

This side would give any the Lions can pick a damn good game:

Marler Turner Sinckler
Gray Ryan
Navidi Stander Underhill
Care Sexton
May Slade Ringrose Earls
Keenan

Healy, Kelleher, Francis, Launchbury, Vunipola, Cooney, Ford, Halfpenny

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I know Lions discussions are of interest to the vast majority who post in this thread but we have not one but two Super Rugby finals taking place this Saturday.

First up we have the Super Rugby Aotearoa final between the Crusaders and the Chiefs from Christchurch. The Chiefs won the most recent meeting between the teams which took place in Hamilton by one point thanks to a late Damian McKenzie penalty while the Crusaders were far too strong for the Chiefs in Hamilton earlier on this season.

Following that we have the good guys aka the Queensland Reds taking on the ACT Brumbies the Super Rugby AU grand final. The Reds have hosting rights and won both meetings with the Brumbies by two points despite the men from Canberra leading the try count 8-6 in the two matches they have played against the Reds this season.

It'd be nice to see the Chiefs but I think the Crusaders will be a bit too strong for them and I can only hope the Reds win a bit more comfortably than in their two wins against the Brumbies during the regular season.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Crusaders have retained their Super Rugby Aotearoa title beating a very gallant Chiefs team. Commiserations to @JPRouve

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Is the trans-Tasman on rugby pass or not? I was buzzing in the week when I realised my iptv got rugby pass but it’s not showing the game....should I be messaging the providers or what?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is the trans-Tasman on rugby pass or not? I was buzzing in the week when I realised my iptv got rugby pass but it’s not showing the game....should I be messaging the providers or what?
Yes, Super Rugby Trans Tasman is on rugbypass but I don't know why it's not working for you so I suggest you get on to the providers.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Yes, Super Rugby Trans Tasman is on rugbypass but I don't know why it's not working for you so I suggest you get on to the providers.
Cheers mate, thought so but wanted to be 100% before I went to the service

JPRouve

Scout
It's deserved but I hate seeing a final influenced by a red.

JPRouve

Scout
It was an ugly physical game. Well done Toulouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.