Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Time to get Goosen in, Pollard is killing us. Our whole game is based on converting those kicks. He did the same against the Lions luckily we had Morne on standby. Completely unaccaptable by him.
Pollard has to be dropped now surely. Well done Australia, they played a heck of a game, well deserved win.
Goosen would probably have to do 2 weeks quarantine and by then it's basically tournament over. Pollard does look out of touch but he's under instructions to do about 100 kicks per game. By his standards, the kicks he missed should have been nailed.

I'm pretty happy with how the Wallabies got the job done last. It wasn't pretty, test doesn't rugby need to be and that's the lesson from last night. One rugby league journo had a field day mocking rugby during last night's game but I'd rather see a Wallaby side that wins instead of getting patronising praise for losing whilst entertaining the masses.

RooneyLegend

Goosen would probably have to do 2 weeks quarantine and by then it's basically tournament over. Pollard does look out of touch but he's under instructions to do about 100 kicks per game. By his standards, the kicks he missed should have been nailed.

I'm pretty happy with how the Wallabies got the job done last. It wasn't pretty, test doesn't rugby need to be and that's the lesson from last night. One rugby league journo had a field day mocking rugby during last night's game but I'd rather see a Wallaby side that wins instead of getting patronising praise for losing whilst entertaining the masses.
Jantjies it is then, what I know is we arent winning any games if our kicker isnt up to much. Whatever is wrong with him he needs to sort it out.

You guys are such an irritating bunch. Against New Zealand you play some error prone toddler and then against us you throw on the great Quade Cooper.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Aussies beating the Boks 2 weeks in a row is pretty impressive
Delighted with the result. The result never really felt in doubt which is a positive even though this Bok side is pretty limited.

This is Australia's 10th straight win at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. The Wallabies rarely lose there in the professional era. Time to start playing the All Blacks there on a more regular basis.

Last edited:

Offsideagain

Been to watch my local club this afternoon. Third team at home, first and seconds away. Quality wasn’t that great but we won, both sides and a good time and I left them drinking together (screw COVID). Both clubs are true amateurs and to me, this is true rugby and, as Martin Johnson said when he gave a talk at our club, a proper rugby club. Our local rivals went semi-pro a few seasons back although they had been paying players for years and poaching some of our better players. Nobody blamed them for going if you have kids and mortgages but they missed the camaraderie. So they have Boks, Aussies and Kiwis and a few local lads. Some of the foreign players buggered off because of COVID or better money last season.That club has now been promoted beyond their financial level and are getting battered week in and week out, 70 and 90 points. Moral is , be careful what you wish for.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
After two wins against the world champions, Australia are up to 3rd in the world rankings. Sure it doesn't mean a huge amount as the Northern Hemisphere nations can't improve their rankings at the moment but it sure beats being 7th in the world.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
A couple of weeks I assume. It’s late with excessive force, not high, there is a bit of an attempt to wrap. Don’t get me wrong it’s a cnuts tackle, but if you run down the checklist it’s not a 2-month ban or anything

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
A couple of weeks I assume. It’s late with excessive force, not high, there is a bit of an attempt to wrap. Don’t get me wrong it’s a cnuts tackle, but if you run down the checklist it’s not a 2-month ban or anything
Can you honestly launch yourself in a tackle like that though? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. You have absolutely no control of yourself or duty or care to the other player leaping into a tackle like that.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Can you honestly launch yourself in a tackle like that though? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. You have absolutely no control of yourself or duty or care to the other player leaping into a tackle like that.
As far as I know m, the ball carrier can’t jump into a tackle but there’s no similar rule for the tackler.
It obviously goes against the ‘excessive force’ rule though. Plus it’s late and avoidable

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
As far as I know m, the ball carrier can’t jump into a tackle but there’s no similar rule for the tackler.
It obviously goes against the ‘excessive force’ rule though. Plus it’s late and avoidable
Yikes. That's one that needs looking into if there isn't. That was more like an NFL tackle than a rugby one.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The 100th test between New Zealand and South Africa takes place in Townsville of all places this weekend. It was supposed to be in Dunedin but covid ruined that. The first test between the two countries was held in Dunedin back in 1921. The Kiwis won the test 13-5 with the Boks bouncing back a week later at Eden Park.

This weekend's test will take place 84 years to the day since South Africa's 17-6 (5 tries to 0) series clinching win at Eden Park. Tries back then were worth 3 points, with the Boks scoring 4 unconverted tries.

Nowadays, the main rugby writer for theroar.com.au is a Melbourne based Kiwi by the name of Geoff Parkes. He wrote the following article to mark Saturday's test:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/09/...oments-in-new-zealand-and-south-africa-rugby/

As for the match itself, if it goes to form, the All Blacks will win by about 20. However, if the Boks can keep the All Blacks to under 25, preferably under 20 points, we could get a very close match befitting of the occasion.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I said on Thursday that if the Boks could keep the AB's to under 25 points, we could have a very close test. That's what we got with a late Jordie Barrett penalty giving New Zealand a 19-17 win over South Africa.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I've been defending my compatriots from the critics having not watched earnestly them in eons. Watching today and I can see why folks are so disappointed by the Springboks at times. Boy do they kick away possession.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
We might be watching Willie Le Roux playing his last test as a Springbok.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I've been defending my compatriots from the critics having not watched earnestly them in eons. Watching today and I can see why folks are so disappointed by the Springboks at times. Boy do they kick away possession.
There must be really good analytics supporting all this prime possession kicking.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The All Blacks may well beat the Boks two weeks running but boy they will have been made to work for it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Jordie Barrett with another match winning penalty for the AB's. I'm not sure they've been the better side tonight but it looks like they've found a way.

diarm

Such a dumb move to take the drop goal when you have advantage. Run a move, take the pen, run down the clock and win. I never understand the upside of taking a drop in that situation.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Elton Pogba wins a classic test for South Africa 31-29.

Get this: an aggregate score of 48-48 over the two games.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Matt Carley is lucky SA won. The two penalties that took New Zealand to 26 and then 29 points seemed harsh. Frans Steyn was pinged for not rolling away when McKenzie appeared to lose the ball and Mostert was pinged for tackler not releasing when it seemed like he was the first man to the breakdown.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Matt Carley is lucky SA won. The two penalties that took New Zealand to 26 and then 29 points seemed harsh. Frans Steyn was pinged for not rolling away when McKenzie appeared to lose the ball and Mostert was pinged for tackler not releasing when it seemed like he was the first man to the breakdown.
Was Mostert on his feet? I can’t remember and haven’t seen it back. The Frans Steyn one was harsh

Zoo

Lukanyo Am must be the best centre in the world right now.

South Africa have showed that when they need to they can play, the criticism is wrong they are just a machine.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Lukanyo Am must be the best centre in the world right now.

South Africa have showed that when they need to they can play, the criticism is wrong they are just a machine.
He’s a hell of a player and a great partner for DDA. I’d still probably take Semi but it’s not by much

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Fascinating, a real "Why didn't I think of that first?" moment.

Wonder will we see other teams take on this tactic, the thought process being the distance the defending team can get a dropkick out is probably the same range as you can kick a drop goal from.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I see the Sharks got a win last night. The Bulls will come good with Jake White at the helm and their personnel.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Fascinating, a real "Why didn't I think of that first?" moment.

Wonder will we see other teams take on this tactic, the thought process being the distance the defending team can get a dropkick out is probably the same range as you can kick a drop goal from.
I'm not sure this is what Scott Johnson had in mind when he came up with this law. Very smart play - it's not often you get to take a drop goal attempt with no pressure from the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.