Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It's worked out great for Farrell, but there's every chance we could be better if we'd built on the form players who were all ahead of him at that time. And just like at 10, we haven't built any depth, just alienated the players next in line and it's inevitably going to hurt us at the WC.

It's also been bizarre that Casey has been occasionally put as next in line when he's been outplayed out the door by Cooney, Doak, Marmion and Blade.
No10 is going to be a problem at the World Cup, when games traditionally become games of attrition and sexton will miss a game, carbery is injury prone Carty isn’t in the picture, if things goon carbery won’t be the starting 10 at Munster, Crowley looks the real deal, but if the Irfu pull rank and demands he starts the options become limited as they will have very limited game time in the position.

as for Casey he’s young and the chosen one for the future and he has the same problem as Crowley, with Murray at Munster working on limited game time.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
No10 is going to be a problem at the World Cup, when games traditionally become games of attrition and sexton will miss a game, carbery is injury prone Carty isn’t in the picture, if things goon carbery won’t be the starting 10 at Munster, Crowley looks the real deal, but if the Irfu pull rank and demands he starts the options become limited as they will have very limited game time in the position.

as for Casey he’s young and the chosen one for the future and he has the same problem as Crowley, with Murray at Munster working on limited game time.
It's all systemic and the IRFU haven't learned from the last world cup.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Thomas ahern out for 4 months after shoulder surgery, it’s a pity as I genuinely think he would of had an outside shot of going to the World Cup, O Connell only had good things to say about him, he would of got all the game time with munsters injury list and he’s fecking Toner tall with pace, you can’t teach that.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Great to beat the Boks but now that I’ve calmed down and been deflated by the Villa game I won’t be getting carried away by it as I fear our Irish Rugger hacks are.
It the Boks hadn’t been so obsessed with bulldozing us off the pitch the would have won and won well. Doubt they will be so brainless again .We definitely had a bit of luck with our tries and it was telling that they were able to cross our line twice late on.
It was still a great win but that’s it.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
fecking A, some game at the pairc for the first rugby game there, it should be the end of Munster fans traveling to Dublin to play quarter and semi final games. Only regret not getting tickets

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
After the Autumn series, England's new defence coach will be former rugby league fullback Brett Hodgson. He did win an NRL premiership with the Wests Tigers and he was a good player in fairness. Hodgson will replace current defence coach Anthony Seibold who will return to the NRL coaching ranks as coach of the Manly Sea Eagles.

I like to remember him for getting dragged into touch by Queensland captain Gorden Tallis in the 3rd and deciding match of the 2002 State of Origin series.

Hodgson also showed in the 2006 State of Origin series decider (which the mighty Queenslanders won) why Eddie Jones wouldn't want him working with the likes of Ben Youngs, Jack van Poortfliet and Raffi Quirke.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Watching the ladies final here.

Reffing is atrocious.

Gameplay is so sloppy its frustrating. Handling errors in nearly every phase

Then some lovely work too at times

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
What a finale
It was a fantastic game. England hampered so badly by the red card. Before it their backrow was really aggressive at the breakdown, winning multiple turnovers. After the red they just didn’t compete for the ball as they had so much extra ground to cover

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It was a fantastic game. England hampered so badly by the red card. Before it their backrow was really aggressive at the breakdown, winning multiple turnovers. After the red they just didn’t compete for the ball as they had so much extra ground to cover
It would have been a different story without red card.

The idea that England are the only Pro international women's team is ludicrous at this point

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im sure England would have won if there hadnt been a red card. Its a frustrating law, i understand what the law makers are trying to do but thats tough to be a red.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Im sure England would have won if there hadnt been a red card. Its a frustrating law, i understand what the law makers are trying to do but thats tough to be a red.
Yeah it’s tough, there was no malice in the challenge and when you’re running at full pelt and there’s a late change in direction it’s quite hard to lower height….she hasn’t even started the ‘tackle’, just literally ran into the kiwi. Dems the rules though, what can you do

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Congratulations to the Black Ferns. They started this tournament as probably 3rd favourites and they've beaten the two teams seen as better than them on consecutive weekends to take out the title. Their triumph is made more impressive when you look back to the Black Ferns' tour of England and France last year where they were beaten soundly in all their games.

Heart goes out to England, whose 30 match winning streak came to an end at the worst possible time. The 30 game winning streak will feel like it was all for nothing for them right at this moment. Beating any Kiwi national rugby side in New Zealand is tough. Trying to do it while playing one short for an hour is extremely difficult and they nearly pulled off an incredible win.

By law, the ref was right to issue the red card and if you're a Kiwi, you'd understandably say the ref's call being the correct one is all that matters. As a rugby incident, I'm not convinced it's worthy of a team playing the rest of the match with 14 and this is where I have started to come around to the idea of teams being able to replace a player who has been sent off once 20 minutes of playing time has elapsed. A head clash with intent is known as a headbutt. A red card with the offending team down to 14 for the rest of the game is the only decision to be made. The red card for Lydia Thompson today, like Angus Ta'avao in July against Ireland and Charlie Ewels during the 6Nations also against Ireland is known as an accident. World Rugby's heart is definitely in the right place and they'll point to Portia Woodman missing the rest of the match due to concussion. As a rugby incident though, I'm yet to be convinced they've got the on field punishment right.

All that said, the Black Ferns were smart in the way they used the advantage the extra player had given them. They wanted to take England wide, play expansively and tire out an England side required to play with 14 for just over an hour. The try the Black Ferns scored from the kick off to the 2nd half embodied this. Most teams would have received the kick off, play a ruck or two then kick it out around or just over halfway and happily concede a lineout. The Black Ferns attacked and scored an excellent try to get the perfect start to the 2nd half.

You could say their positive approach with the ball has the fingerprints of Wayne Smith all over it and he had only been in charge of their team for about 5-6 months. Tonight also looks like Wayne Smith's last involvement in rugby as a coach and he has a wonderful coaching career, not all of it as head coach but this is a success where his fingerprints are all over what they've achieved. Sir Graham Henry has been part of the Black Ferns' set up as well and at the of 76, he has decided to retire from rugby for good.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Congratulations to the Black Ferns. They started this tournament as probably 3rd favourites and they've beaten the two teams seen as better than them on consecutive weekends to take out the title. Their triumph is made more impressive when you look back to the Black Ferns' tour of England and France last year where they were beaten soundly in all their games.

Heart goes out to England, whose 30 match winning streak came to an end at the worst possible time. The 30 game winning streak will feel like it was all for nothing for them right at this moment. Beating any Kiwi national rugby side in New Zealand is tough. Trying to do it while playing one short for an hour is extremely difficult and they nearly pulled off an incredible win.

By law, the ref was right to issue the red card and if you're a Kiwi, you'd understandably say the ref's call being the correct one is all that matters. As a rugby incident, I'm not convinced it's worthy of a team playing the rest of the match with 14 and this is where I have started to come around to the idea of teams being able to replace a player who has been sent off once 20 minutes of playing time has elapsed. A head clash with intent is known as a headbutt. A red card with the offending team down to 14 for the rest of the game is the only decision to be made. The red card for Lydia Thompson today, like Angus Ta'avao in July against Ireland and Charlie Ewels during the 6Nations also against Ireland is known as an accident. World Rugby's heart is definitely in the right place and they'll point to Portia Woodman missing the rest of the match due to concussion. As a rugby incident though, I'm yet to be convinced they've got the on field punishment right.

All that said, the Black Ferns were smart in the way they used the advantage the extra player had given them. They wanted to take England wide, play expansively and tire out an England side required to play with 14 for just over an hour. The try the Black Ferns scored from the kick off to the 2nd half embodied this. Most teams would have received the kick off, play a ruck or two then kick it out around or just over halfway and happily concede a lineout. The Black Ferns attacked and scored an excellent try to get the perfect start to the 2nd half.

You could say their positive approach with the ball has the fingerprints of Wayne Smith all over it and he had only been in charge of their team for about 5-6 months. Tonight also looks like Wayne Smith's last involvement in rugby as a coach and he has a wonderful coaching career, not all of it as head coach but this is a success where his fingerprints are all over what they've achieved. Sir Graham Henry has been part of the Black Ferns' set up as well and at the of 76, he has decided to retire from rugby for good.
Was a fantastic watch. England scored like, what, all 4/5 of their tries being replicas with their dominant front row mauling the ferns!

On a side note, why is it referred to as the 2021 RWC final/winners? Was the tournament delayed last year due to covid?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Was a fantastic watch. England scored like, what, all 4/5 of their tries being replicas with their dominant front row mauling the ferns!

On a side note, why is it referred to as the 2021 RWC final/winners? Was the tournament delayed last year due to covid?
Yes. New Zealand has hosted two Women's World Cups this year ( they hosted the Women's Cricket 50 over World Cup) and both were originally scheduled for 2021 but covid meant they were played this year instead.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Secure your own ball at the breakdown boys. Not the first time this year this has been an issue. 7 penalties conceded in 23 minutes is unacceptable.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Italy 28 Australia 27. There's no polishing that result. Gutted for Ben Donaldson who has a chance to win the game with a conversion on full time but it should never have come to that. Discipline has been an issue for a long time and it hasn't been fixed. Dave Rennie looks like a goose for the result and he looks like an even bigger goose for making 12 changes from the team that nearly won in Paris last week. Congratulations to Italy for creating some history of the positive variety.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Italy 28 Australia 27. There's no polishing that result. Gutted for Ben Donaldson who has a chance to win the game with a conversion on full time but it should never have come to that. Discipline has been an issue for a long time and it hasn't been fixed. Dave Rennie looks like a goose for the result and he looks like an even bigger goose for making 12 changes from the team that nearly won in Paris last week. Congratulations to Italy for creating some history of the positive variety.
Wow. I didn't see that coming.

Ireland's match was much the same as it usually is when we play a second-string side.
We really do go all-in on our first team and not put the same into our squad building.
It was the same with the As last week too, who looked very under-prepared.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

The difference between the England red and the NZ Yellow was the head bounced off the shoulder to the head for the NZ one. It seems a bit too harsh to me, I would think the England one could have been a yellow too. The law is too harsh in this I think.

Traub

Next year’s World Cup is shaping up nicely. Really looks like anyone can win it. France will of course be favourites, but the pressure on them will be immense.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Most gripping, brutal, intense match I’ve seen in ages!

Also….Macalou. What a badass motherfecker. A bench option that covers 4,5,6,7,8,11,12,13,14 :lol:
It was like watching SA vs SA. The fact that it was very even makes it even stranger.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It was like watching SA vs SA. The fact that it was very even makes it even stranger.
You have close to the perfect team at the moment. Power up front to match the strongest, guile at halfbacks plus a lethal backline. It really is a ‘complete’ team, bit like the all blacks of yesteryear

JPRouve

Scout
Jammy win, JP but congrats :D
It's only jammy if we agree on letting SA tacklers lay on the ground and be in the way, play the ball on the ground, cleaning with their shoulders or heads, make fouls in the air and stay offside around rucks. Also it's apparently possible to gain a penalty by not tackling and holding a player.

Now I'll give you the completely bogus forward pass and there is a case for a penalty against Moefana at the end of the game.:angel:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's only jammy if we agree on letting SA tacklers lay on the ground and be in the way, play the ball on the ground, cleaning with their shoulders or heads, make fouls in the air and stay offside around rucks. Also it's apparently possible to gain a penalty by not tackling and holding a player.

Now I'll give you the completely bogus forward pass and there is a case for a penalty against Moefana at the end of the game.:angel:
Aargh no worries JP, i said it tongue in cheek tbh :lol:

It was a good game at the end. Very physical, as the springboks usually are. France stood up to that challenge well. Would have been interesting had the 11th min red card (deserved red!) not happened.

JPRouve

Scout
Aargh no worries JP, i said it tongue in cheek tbh :lol:

It was a good game at the end. Very physical, as the springboks usually are. France stood up to that challenge well. Would have been interesting had the 11th min red card (deserved red!) not happened.
You are forgiven.:D

But you are right it would have been interesting to see the game played at 15 versus 15.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
So fecking tedious this stuff. Anyone who’s ever reffed a game knows the overarching principle:

You can be flawless and still have a bunch of people from either or both sides disagree with loads of your decisions

JPRouve

Scout
The video is pretty good, SA player(De Allende?) enters the ruck from the side but only the french player cleaning from the side is a foul? Arendse doesn't hold Macalou when he is on the ground he missed his tackle, SA wingers are offside on about half of the rucks situations in the video and they don't care much about staying on their fits when they clean or using their arms.

Barnes had a poor game but it wasn't one sided and it actually changed momentum for both teams at various points of the game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So fecking tedious this stuff. Anyone who’s ever reffed a game knows the overarching principle:

You can be flawless and still have a bunch of people from either or both sides disagree with loads of your decisions
A fundamental principle that millions of idiots won’t accept, which ruined football by lumbering us with fecking VAR.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

I wish the guy who makes these videos would go out and ref a game so we can see how good he is when you have to make decisions in real time. Apparently he's got impeccable knowledge of the laws and can interpret them perfectly.....after slowing the footage down and looking at the game from different angles. It's no so easy out in the middle. I can't think of anybody who watches games to pick out refereeing mistakes unless you're a referees assessor.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Really Rassie? You did a great job as Springbok coach. That should be your legacy. It won't be the only thing you'll be remembered for.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
World Rugby have banned Rassie Erasmus again, this time for 2 matches from all match day activities. At some point SARU will realise the damage he's doing to Springbok rugby and pull him into line.

Status
Not open for further replies.