Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Some nice tight games today:
England draw with the ABs
Ireland beat Australia
……Georgia beat Wales

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Brutal match. One where the ref's decision were more important than anything the players did. I'd imagine the Aussies will be asking where was the proof of the grounding for Aki's try, for example.
The ref was on top of it.
Plenty of that in so many games you have to trust the ref

diarm

I'd have liked people other than Sexton to get that shot after the last world cup :lol:
It's a real pity we haven't taken the short term pain back then to try to build depth at ten.
Fully agree. Although to be honest, Crowley is probably the first player who looks both technically capable of taking the game to the gainline like Sexton does and physically capable of standing up to the hits and not getting injured every second week.

It’s frustrating that it took an injury to Sexton to get him that shot this week though. It was a perfect opportunity to give him the whole week.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Fully agree. Although to be honest, Crowley is probably the first player who looks both technically capable of taking the game to the gainline like Sexton does and physically capable of standing up to the hits and not getting injured every second week.

It’s frustrating that it took an injury to Sexton to get him that shot this week though. It was a perfect opportunity to give him the whole week.
I hope he gets a proper go then if you think he's capable.

diarm

I hope he gets a proper go then if you think he's capable.
Yeah look, he has a long way to go to prove he’s the chosen one - he’s still young and raw.

But Carty, Burns and Ross Byrne aren’t the answer and neither Joey nor Harry Byrne are physically up to this level.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Why the feck was White sent back out on the pitch? That was disgraceful.

Have Ireland ever gone on a run against the Southern Hemisphere like this one? Beating NZ, SA and Australia consecutively. Has any Northern Hemisphere team?
England do it every few years mate ;)

diarm

@diarm
@unchanged_lineup

The debate about the Irish 10 jersey is surely redundant now…..

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

In all seriousness, if I had to pick between him or Billy Burns to kick to the corner for a match deciding penalty in the last 5 minutes of a World Cup QF, I’m picking the Wexford colossus every time.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

In all seriousness, if I had to pick between him or Billy Burns to kick to the corner for a match deciding penalty in the last 5 minutes of a World Cup QF, I’m picking the Wexford colossus every time.
Spare a thought for all the U13s props who watched that…..then give it a go tomorrow in their youth league….only to find out it doesn’t always go that smoothly

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Actually got a mention in article I read about the game. England did indeed do it. But that was 20 years ago! ( the year before they won the World Cup - just saying)
Really? Feels like we’ve had quite a lot of success against the boks and Aus for a decade or so now….it’s probably the ABs that have prevented it from happening more regularly

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This is a strange thing to say about a team that has won just 5 tests this year but I'm not surprised the Wallabies pulled their finger out and produced a decent performance last night defensively at least. From the start of the Rugby Championship, performances have fluctuated from good to shite in the space of a week. If the trend continues, we'll produce enough shit at the Principality to give Wales a shot at victory pending how shit they are themselves.

diarm

This is a strange thing to say about a team that has won just 5 tests this year but I'm not surprised the Wallabies pulled their finger out and produced a decent performance last night defensively at least. From the start of the Rugby Championship, performances have fluctuated from good to shite in the space of a week. If the trend continues, we'll produce enough shit at the Principality to give Wales a shot at victory pending how shit they are themselves.
If your lads attack the breakdown half as effectively as you did last night, you will put 50 points past Wales.

That’s as tough a night as our backrow have had in 2 or 3 years. That lad on the wing looks a bit special as well!

diarm

Delighted for him. That team of the year is a shocker though.

France go unbeaten and win a Grand Slam, but only get the same number of players as England?

Genge over Baille? Whitelock over Etzebeth? De Allende over Henshaw? Jordan over Penaud?

Freddie Steward is a handy player, but how in gods name has he got next or near this team?

Zoo

No Ardie Savea either. Basically carrying New Zealand’s forwards by himself for a lot of this year.

diarm

No Ardie Savea either. Basically carrying New Zealand’s forwards by himself for a lot of this year.
Absolutely ridiculous as well. Savea would’ve been very, very close to World Player of the Year for me. If these Autumn Internationals were included he probably would’ve nicked it from Van der Flier.

To not even be in the team is a joke. The backrow should’ve been Savea, VdFlier and Aldritt.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
As we know, Eddie Jones finishes up as England coach after next year's World Cup. Nothing has changed in that regard but according to the Sydney Morning Herald, Eddie Jones could be set to sign an 8 year deal as USA coach to take him through to the 2031 World Cup which will be hosted by the United States. I'll believe it when I see it.

The RFU's reported short-list to replace Eddie Jones as England head coach is: Steve Borthwick, Scott Robertson and Ronan O'Gara. Even though I think the RFU would prefer to appoint Steve Borthwick, I suggest that Scott Robinson will get the job if he wants it. The RFU apparently want to make a call on Eddie's replacement just after next year's 6Nations, which may complicate things if the man known as Razor is keen on coaching England.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Absolutely ridiculous as well. Savea would’ve been very, very close to World Player of the Year for me. If these Autumn Internationals were included he probably would’ve nicked it from Van der Flier.

To not even be in the team is a joke. The backrow should’ve been Savea, VdFlier and Aldritt.
Ardie has really pissed in world rugby’s mug of tea to lose out to Matera :lol:

Hephaestus

34-13 to Wales with just over a quarter of the game to go and yet I still expected the meltdown and the heartbreak. Got to be the end for Pivac, surely.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
34-13 to Wales with just over a quarter of the game to go and yet I still expected the meltdown and the heartbreak. Got to be the end for Pivac, surely.
I just have no idea how they fecked that up. And this isn’t exactly France or NZ, this is a second string Aus with all their injuries. Amazing naivety and poor game management from the welsh….after they’d looked as good as I’ve seen them in ages in the first 20

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What a win by the Wallabies! A depleted team due to a horrible injury list but they hung in there and pulled off a famous win. Discipline still an issue which can't be covered up by that comeback. One Kiwi born coach was in trouble based on the outcome and it turns Wayne Pivac will need a miracle to keep his job while Dave Rennie and co end a very, very frustrating year on a high.

The Springboks were pretty good at Twickenham against a rather pathetic England team. It took England 70 minutes to start playing rugby last week. With a man advantage for the last 20 last night, they still stunk. England's draw at the World Cup is a good one imagine if they feck it up and cant make a semi final. Kurt Lee Arrendse's try was a thing of beauty and showed what the Boks can do if they want ro move the ball with some quality.

Zoo

Pivac is definitely going. Gatland is the favourite to return in a short term role for the World Cup.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Cheers pal. Don’t see why not, it’s a shitshow. I wish we’d be as decisive…. I’ve been calling for EJ’s head for years but we’re stuck till after the WC

Status
Not open for further replies.