Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

Thisistheone

Seen this stat around Twitter:

Total number of registered senior mens rugby players per country according to World Rugby. RWC quarters;

England- 131,399
France- 124,079
South Africa- 113,174
Japan- 48,470
Australia- 39,380
New Zealand- 27,726
Ireland- 25,440
Wales- 22,408

Zoo

Brave call. Will be interesting to see how he does there against Tuilagi.

Last edited:

Thisistheone

George Ford on the bench. So a surprise in both line ups by the sounds.

Edit - Petaia is indeed playing. Huge call from Cheika.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Predictions for the weekend:

England vs Australia: Easy England win. No problems for them in this one
Ireland VS New Zealand: Going with a New Zealand win, but i think it's going to be a close one.
Wales vs France: Wales win, just.
Japan vs South Africa....feck it, going with a Japan win! (mostly because that's what i want to happen)

stepic

Japan clearly needs to join either the 6 Nations or the Rugby Championship. it would be nice to have them in the 6 Nations, although probably makes more sense to join the Championship.

diarm

That team isn't filling me with hope, no Farrell and Kearney starting, what are we gonna do when henshaw gets injured
I was saying that earlier - I would have put Farrell on the bench instead of McGrath. Odds are that Murray will play 80 minutes anyway and if he does get injured, you could slip Carberry or Ringrose in there without losing too much considering McGrath's recent form.

Thisistheone

Full strength for Wales. Should be no excuses Sunday.

Wales: L Williams; North, Jonathan Davies, Parkes, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; Wyn Jones, Owens, Francis, Ball, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Wainwright, Navidi, Tipuric.

Replacements: E Dee, Carre, D Lewis, Beard, Moriarty, T Williams, Patchell, Watkin.

France: Medard; Penaud, Vakatawa, Fickou, Huget; Ntamack, Dupont; Poirot, Guirado (capt), Slimani, Le Roux, Vahaamahina, Lauret, Ollivon, Alldritt.

Replacements: Chat, Baille, Setiano, Gabrillagues, Picamoles, Serin, Lopez, Rattez.

Withnail

That team isn't filling me with hope, no Farrell and Kearney starting, what are we gonna do when henshaw gets injured
Henshaw/Ringrose is probably our best centre pairing and Farrell is on the bench :confused:

Joe's going with his tried and trusted which is to be expected really. L'Armour and Farrell will come off the bench. Earls and Stockdale haven't been great so far, so hopefully they can deliver.

I know the All Blacks are nailed on favourites and I don't think we'll have enough to win but you'd have to think Joe has something up his sleeve, given this could well be his last game in charge.

EDIT: The team I saw incorrectly had Farrell on the bench instead of Mc Grath

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Looking forward to the quarters this weekend.

England vs Australia - Going for an England win

New Zealand vs Ireland - All Blacks to win

Wales vs France - You could flip a coin with this one. Either side could win it. I didn’t see Wales’ game last week against Uruguay, in fact didn’t see any of the Sunday matches other than Scotland’s disappointing defeat to Japan. Heard Uruguay gave them a decent game. France always are the dark horses in RWC’s and I’m predicting them to narrowly nick it.

Japan vs South Africa - Would love Japan to repeat a 2nd miracle of Brighton again. Been an absolute joy to watch and my favourite team of the tournament so far. You’d expect South Africa to win but I’m not going to write this Japanese team off. Head says South Africa win but heart says Japan to shock the world again. It’s set up to be a fantastic match and the one I’m most looking forward to watching!

diarm

Henshaw/Ringrose is probably our best centre pairing and Farrell is on the bench :confused:

Joe's going with his tried and trusted which is to be expected really. L'Armour and Farrell will come off the bench. Earls and Stockdale haven't been great so far, so hopefully they can deliver.

I know the All Blacks are nailed on favourites and I don't think we'll have enough to win but you'd have to think Joe has something up his sleeve, given this could well be his last game in charge.

EDIT: The team I saw incorrectly had Farrell on the bench instead of Mc Grath
Think that might have been my fault - I was just suggesting what I would've done!

PoTMS

Don't like the way everyone is predicting an England win and writing off Australia.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
God, I hate the Guardian's live sports coverage:
79 mins: I've just had an email from Dave Ricketts in Cheshire. Dave asks what sandwiches I'm eating after the game. Well, Dave, I usually go for BLT. Oh, look, one of the teams has scored the winning try. Dunno which team...anyway, back to the sandwich chat...

Needham

England finally turning it on at the business end of the tournament. Prayers for an Ireland miracle later tonight.

Needham

What happens if this game ends up equal scores after extra time? Penalty shoot out?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Australia are playing like absolute dumb-asses, they are going to be destroyed by australian medias.

Skills

Snitch
Why is Farrell so fidgety taking kicks? I'd never trust him to kick under pressure