Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
So we have our first shock of the tournament! Hats off to Uruguay, every single one of those Uruguayan players were terrific!

Fiji were absolutely horrific. I’m struggling to think of one single aspect of their game that was actually pretty good. So poor in every single department.
The effects of the relatively short recovery period, up against a fresh team? Seems a bit unfair.

Kopral Jono

I agree. 2nd was definitely a red. 1st one could have gone either way but I’m leaning more towards a red than a yellow. Scoreline definitely flatters Samoa. They were trailing at HT and looked 2nd best in the opening half. Gotovtsev got an early yellow in the 2nd and Samoa took advantage of having an extra man for 10 mins and scored 2 tries during that period which practically won them that game.
I honestly have little respect for teams who are over-reliant on brainless physicality and little else. Samoa and Tonga are the worst culprits of this by far. You see other smaller nations like Fiji/Japan/Georgia and they don't resort to stupid high tackles even when the going gets a bit tricky.

The effects of the relatively short recovery period, up against a fresh team? Seems a bit unfair.
Absolutely. Two full days' rest plus a day of travelling is gruelling and very unfair, especially for the likes of Fiji who might not have the same resources as the big guns.

RedDevilRoshi

Fair enough, fitness probably played a big part.

But what frustrated me most about Fiji was they struggled to even do the basics correctly. I lost count how many handling errors they made and their kicking badly let them down.

RedDevilRoshi

Don’t think anyone watched the Italy vs Canada game? :D

Caught the last 30 mins and wasn’t surprised to see the score although I did hear Canada had a couple of good openings but lapses of concentration in the final 3rd really hurt them.

diarm

Don’t think anyone watched the Italy vs Canada game? :D

Caught the last 30 mins and wasn’t surprised to see the score although I did hear Canada had a couple of good openings but lapses of concentration in the final 3rd really hurt them.
I saw what the first 50 but missed the last half hour! Much of the same really, they caused Italy problems and dominated for short periods of the first half but could never make the possession or territory they had count. In contrast, Italy made scoring points look very easy against them.

England have destroyed the US upfront here. They really should be further ahead and if they kept a bit more ball in hand and not kicked away so much I think they would be.

The English away strip would make for a good Munster kit!

RedDevilRoshi

So we officially had our 1st red card of the tournament and it was the correct decision. It was a shocking challenge by the American on Farrell.

I thought USA defended really well in the opening moments of the 1st half. They really frustrated the English forwards but in end, England’s superior quality, fitness and experience settled the game. USA did give a good account of themselves. Gary Gold looks a pretty decent coach. Would take him over Townsend!

Offsideagain

What surprised me was the length of time they took to decide the ‘tackle’ was a red card. Owen is from Wigan and would have grown up with that as the norm. Good performance but can’t understand why they didn’t boot the pill out after the hooter went.

Last edited:

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
So we officially had our 1st red card of the tournament and it was the correct decision. It was a shocking challenge by the American on Farrell.

I thought USA defended really well in the opening moments of the 1st half. They really frustrated the English forwards but in end, England’s superior quality, fitness and experience settled the game. USA did give a good account of themselves. Gary Gold looks a pretty decent coach. Would take him over Townsend!
Really stupid challenge too because Farrell had just knocked on inside his 22. Good scoring platform and the idiot goes in high just to land one.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Anyone come across any free rivers for Ire/Japan?
Pm if you can.
Ta!
Arg/Tonga on my NBC feed atm but it’s Ppv/premium for Ire/Jpn.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ireland ruck support is amazing, it's true for Leinster too.