Rules you would change about the Premier League?

Johan07

1: Ban players from ever handling the ball except in case of throw-ins.
Easily enforced and clear rule, which would take away a lot of time-wasting.
There is absolutely no reason for a player to ever pick up the ball on the field of play if its not for wasting time.
2: Effective time after 90 mins.

parkthebuslads

Remove the homegrown quota
Eliminate restrictions on retroactive punishments
Straight red for cynical, tactical fouls (regardless of position or violence)
Mic the referee
In game clock (paused for subs only, time limit imposed for set pieces etc)
Ball has to go out of play to call time
"Referees call" for offside calls with VAR that are very close
Any hand contact is handball
Spitting ban

Last edited:

Jeffthered

I wouldn't Mic the ref. Footie has too many decisions for that.. when would the MIC be used, for every decision, some? And why? VAR is becoming quite self-explanatory, and it is good to see the ref's actually being somewhat more demonstrative in making clear their decisions.

I would like to see quicker and more definitive action on diving. Three, four or even five game bans would be great.

Also, I would like to see some sort (and I do not know what..) of rule, that encourages and rewards attacking football. Maybe it's no of corners.. or shots on goal.. at the end of a season, these stats could be tallied up into points. The purpose would be to somehow avoid these dreadful, mid-season matches, where you have some teams that essentially, go to an opposition, and do nothing, nothing but defend, with little regard for actually producing an offensive side (strategy) to their game.

I understand setting up defensively against a better attacking outfit, but you should not just go into a game with the intention of simply preventing goals against, not two Prem teams anyway.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No ticket to cost over 30 quid. They did the quota for away prices. Free travel on day of game included aswell.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Harsher cards for tactical fouling, none of this 'it's my first foul' for each and every player, for niggling tactical fouls like shirt pulling, clips, holding etc. If the team have put in a tactical foul or two, regardless of who has done it, the ref should tell the captain. Then if it happens again in say that half, yellows then reds. Hate seeing constant fouls by different players wagging their fingers going 'me, no, first foul ref'.

Retroactive and harsh punishments for diving. I guess with VAR coming in this wont be as big of a deal, as incidents will be reviewed when they occur.

baskinginthesun

The time wasting ones are the best here. Reduce the game to 60 or 75 minutes and then every time the ball goes out stop the clock which is controlled by an independent person who has no communication with the ref.

I still think the game will move at a good pace which wont allow room for TV ads which has been mentioned. The ball goes out for a throw in which will leave room for what 15 seconds maybe. The reason the NFL has ads and such is it can take up to a minute before a play ends and the next begins. Or a team has called a time out or something of the like.

Ref's are allowed to chat to the media or at least give reasoning on why they came to a decision. Way too much protection for the referee's. But, why does the ref have so much power? Reduce their workload (hopefully VAR will help). It seems in most other sports you forget that their are umpires and ref's on the field of play as well. It also seems like there are more of them to help make the right decision.

matt10000

I think that there should be sin bins during games rather than accumulation of yellow cards and game bans. Its always so disappointing when two great teams gwt to a final and you dont get to see the best players on show because of a couple of fouls in previous games. Punish them and the team on the spot

Mugiwarared71

Relegation zone being 4 teams not three and there being play off games involved 20th and 19th place team go down for sure where 18 and 17 play champion ship team over two legs and winner gets promoted or stays in the league think this adds a lot more excitement.

Also salary caps and transfer caps need to be introduced into the premier league and world football in general at some point .

Teams having to field minimum two players from the academy at all times and cup games increase to 5.

Also a very key rule change would be having made all of your three substitutes if a player becomes injured and unable to continue you should be allowed an additional sub learned the hard way on football manager.

Last edited by a moderator: