Rumours are circulating that Nicola Cortese will leave Southampton at the end of this season.

MJLD

Tomorrow's back pages all on this story, all speculating on an exodus. And Shaw wants out, linked to Chelsea (although its the Star...)

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Oh look, it's the Sun with the daftest back page of all. I'm only surprised that they didn't put a lump of Swiss cheese on top of her head.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Its hilarious that only a few weeks ago the press were championing more clubs to "be like Southampton".

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We could do worse, and in some positions currently are, than Clyne, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Ward-Prowse or Shaw.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Wouldnt mind these three. Give 70m to southampton for those three and any brilliant player in their youth ranks.

Clyne would be great for youse too. Excellent cover for Rafael and would also cover for LB. I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him actually.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Is Cortese really that popular amongst the players that they would contemplate leaving now that he's left?

RedRover

Its hilarious that only a few weeks ago the press were championing more clubs to "be like Southampton".
People are assuming its all going to fall apart just because the chairman has left.

The manager may move on, but almost all of the players were there before him, and the club seems financially sound. They probably don't have to sell anyone. Shaw may move on because he's a top 4 player in the making but it'll take big money - my bet £30 million plus, but I don't see this fire sake that some seem to think will happen.

They have some good players - but for me (other than Shaw) possibly only Lallana might attract real interest from top 6 sides. I can't see players on good money at a club who look relatively ambitious jumping ship for another mid table side to be honest.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Is Cortese really that popular amongst the player that they would contemplate leaving now that he's left?
Seems like he was the glue that was holding this revival in place, and without him the manager will want out and that's the end of the "project." With that, all the players who have made a name for themselves have very little reason to not move on to pastures new at bigger clubs who will pay them more and offer them stability and security that Southampton no longer can.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shaw seem's to be signing for Chelsea this summer anyway, as Cole is moving to the MLS.

I cannot see why they are making such a big deal anyway, Pochettino cannot follow Cortese around like a lost lamb for the rest of his career?!.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Is Cortese really that popular amongst the players that they would contemplate leaving now that he's left?
He wasn't popular with anyone. Maybe a good businessman, but not a people person, and from what I've heard, not particularly fair.

Apparently, he's just worked his three month notice - so if the manager was going to leave, surely he'd have made arrangement by now? He could have gone to Cardiff, and Ole could have had Saints. :)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I remember when Coppell got Reading into the PL and performing well, a very creditable 8th in their first year up.

At the time Madejski made a comment that he could afford to own a Championship club, he couldn't afford a Premiership one. He tried to sell it, but couldn't get a deal that worked. I think he finally sold it just as they were about to be promoted again.

I wonder if it's a similar situation here.

In any case, if it's true that Cortese has been offered a job with Milan, then he might not have needed much of a push.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Provided that Southampton appoint another good manager a player like Ward-Prowse would probably be better off staying put where he is, as there are plenty of past examples where up and coming players who moved too soon or chose the wrong club and suffered as a result.

If you consider the number of PL proven players produced by Southampton's academy in recent years i think a prospective buyer of the club should see enough potential whether it be for profit or cup glory [no significant debts and the Premiership money to boot].

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
If I was pinching anyone from Southampton it would be their youth team and academy coaches.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
People are assuming its all going to fall apart just because the chairman has left.

The manager may move on, but almost all of the players were there before him, and the club seems financially sound. They probably don't have to sell anyone. Shaw may move on because he's a top 4 player in the making but it'll take big money - my bet £30 million plus, but I don't see this fire sake that some seem to think will happen.

They have some good players - but for me (other than Shaw) possibly only Lallana might attract real interest from top 6 sides. I can't see players on good money at a club who look relatively ambitious jumping ship for another mid table side to be honest.
Shaw, Lallana, Clyne, Ward-Prowse and Schneiderlin are all good enough for a top 6 team. Would have Shaw and Clyne in an instant if we could get both for under or around £30m. Would also take Ward-Prowse and Chamvers.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Not really been following this but can someone explain what the chairman resigning has to do with the owners selling? Is there evidence the owners want to sell the club?

Bebe

Here's a quick article about what's going on. It does look as if Cortese's departure could see a few major players moving given the effect he had there.

from Ben Smith, BBC Football
When the end came, Nicola Cortese only had time to say goodbye to those closest to him at Southampton.

There was emotion, on both sides, as he said goodbye to manager Mauricio Pochettino, the club secretary and his personal assistant among others.
It was a scenario they feared had been possible since it became clear Cortese's vision and the one held by the club's reclusive owner, Katharina Liebherr, were worlds apart.
On Tuesday, those hunches were confirmed in the most dramatic of circumstances when Liebherr replaced the Italian and installed herself as chairman. But many were left asking 'why?'In recent weeks, his appearances at the training ground, often before seven in the morning, had grown less frequent. Something had changed, something was wrong.
This was not an argument over transfer funds, wages or the need for investment. This was not a snap decision or a row that had flared up suddenly. Cortese was not tempted by offers from abroad or new challenges.
No, the dispute that ended his five-year spell at Southampton was about the sale of the club.
The problems began at the end of last season and although an uneasy truce was reached in May, by the time the season had begun, it was clear all was not well. Liebherr, who was left the club by her father Marcus following his sudden death in 2010, had no interest in Southampton and no knowledge of football - she wanted to sell the club.
Cortese was open to that, but his preference for a sale in two or three years was at odds with Liebherr's desire for an immediate sale.The problems began at the end of last season and although an uneasy truce was reached in May, by the time the season had begun, it was clear all was not well. Liebherr, who was left the club by her father Marcus following his sudden death in 2010, had no interest in Southampton and no knowledge of football - she wanted to sell the club.
The 'why' is incidental now. The focus has instead turned to what it might mean for the club, the manager and their players.
The bond between Cortese and Pochettino is well publicised. The former Swiss banker had been on a scouting mission on the continent when the sheer enthusiasm and passion of a manager on the touchline below caught his eye.
Six months passed, during which time thorough research was conducted on the Argentine, and when the time came to replace previous manager Nigel Adkins, Cortese knew exactly who he wanted.
Within moments of their first meeting, both men knew the fit was right. It was not a risk; it was, like everything else, carefully planned.
The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's. The worst case scenario for the club is that manager follows chairman and players follow manager.
A presentation to the players in April last year did not ask if Southampton can win the Premier League, but how can they win it?
This was Cortese's vision for Southampton, one shared by Pochettino, by defender Luke Shaw, by midfielder Adam Lallana, and by forward Jay Rodriguez and the rest.
Nothing was left to chance. Everything was planned, analysed, discussed. The club's poor away form was one issue. Why did they struggle?
Cortese refused to accept the club's geographical location as an explanation. Players were asked to fill out questionnaires. What time did they wake up at home? What were their habits? Did their children wake them, did the dog? The results were analysed and changes were made.
Then the 45-year-old focused on the environment. Now, when Southampton travel away from home, the hotel is often booked for two nights rather than one. On the first night, club staff arrive and clean the already pristine rooms. They vacuum up every particle of dust that might cause illness or carry a bug.
Then bespoke mattresses are placed on each bed, tailored to each player. The duvets, the pillow cases and the sheets are washed and ironed by the club, using the same washing powder and the same methods. Wherever the players are, their bed smells and feels the same.
The same applies to food, with the club chef travelling ahead of the squad to each and every hotel. Marginal gains were everything to Cortese.
On the field, the whole team, rather than just the defence and goalkeeper, were awarded clean sheet bonuses in order to promote a team ethic, rather than any division.
And yet divisions off the field could not be avoided. Southampton fans will do their best to ignore the thought of the worst case scenario - chairman, manager, star players and ultimately an owner disappearing in a blur.
Still, the unwillingness of this intensely private man to become a public figure meant some found him hard to like, or at least to understand, especially after the sacking of Adkins, almost a year ago, who had guided the club to the top flight from League One.
And while it may be too soon to declare Southampton a club in full-blown crisis, what no-one can question, is that the impact of Cortese's departure will be felt long after the ink has dried on his severance agreement. Love him or loathe him - he will be missed.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
If you were a Southampton fan you're going to be more than just a little ticked off if players start jumping ship in January. Would Cortese want them to pull down all that he has built, is that how you honour your adored Executive Chairman?

In fact, it should be the greed and opportunism of the players and manager which the media ought to be criticising if such occurs.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Pochettino in statement on Southampton TV: "I am staying on as manager, i have a professional responsibility to everyone at the club and the fans."

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Pochettino has confirmed that he's staying. I think that will stave off an 'exodus' till the summer atleast.

Hal9000

In the mean time they've pissed off every paper in land. Called a last minute press conference for 3pm, only for Pochettino not to turn up and whilst all the journos sit and wait, they announce he's staying on Southampton TV and twitter.

:lol:

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
It's the right thing to do, don't punish the club further in January.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Pochettino has confirmed that he's staying. I think that will stave off an 'exodus' till the summer atleast.
This was an exodus written by Fleet Street unfortunately.

And it was that the holy Pochettino led his saints in flight from the evil Pharaoh Liebherr, only to encounter the impassible Solent Sea.

Pochettino to his squad via an interpreter: "When is the next boat?"

In the mean time they've pissed off every paper in land. Called a last minute press conference for 3pm, only for Pochettino not to turn up and whilst all the journos sit and wait, they announce he's staying on Southampton TV and twitter.

:lol:
Serves the press and all of their so-called sources right if you ask me. :)

dev1l

This was an exodus written by Fleet Street unfortunately.

Serves the press and all of their so-called sources right if you ask me. :)
tbf there might have been some truth in it, maybe Pochettino was really considering quitting

RedRover

Shaw, Lallana, Clyne, Ward-Prowse and Schneiderlin are all good enough for a top 6 team. Would have Shaw and Clyne in an instant if we could get both for under or around £30m. Would also take Ward-Prowse and Chamvers.
They might be, at some stage. Depends if they want to move to top 6 clubs and potentially sit on the bench.

Shaw could move and probably get a lot of games at a top 4 side. Possibly Lallana too, but are Spurs, Everton, Liverpool, City, Chelsea, United or Arsenal going to mnake a move for him? I'd say we would be the most likely as it stands now, but I suspect we want more high profile targets. The others are well stocked and I don't neccessarily think he's better than what they have based on a half decent first year and 6 very impressive months in the PL.

The others are all decent players - but again, given that Southampton will probably ask for big money for these players, I'm not sure how many will move on. Especially if the clusb interested are no better off that Southampton in terms of stature, money or ambition.

The fact is, if top 4 sides want any of these players - they'd probably want to move on regardless of who was manager or chairman, so I dont see that there's all that much difference. Half of them were brought in or given their chance by Adkins, and didnt twist when the new manager came in. They might be happy to stay there under a new manager.

RedRover

Here's a quick article about what's going on. It does look as if Cortese's departure could see a few major players moving given the effect he had there.

from Ben Smith, BBC Football
By all accounts there is some suggestion that the attempt to paint the owners as difficult to work with by Cortese is a little unfair.

He clearly wanted Southampton to be challenging the top clubs in the PL and possibly the owners didnt back his ambition. But when you consider how much that would cost, and the fact that this was the project of the current owners father, perhaps they're being more reasonable than suggested.

The owners have backed the manager to a degree in terms of finance after all.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
tbf there might have been some truth in it, maybe Pochettino was really considering quitting
Maybe he was, although there were rumours even yesterday that Cortese had spoken with Pochettino so as to ensure that he remained at the club for the time being.

In all likelihood the media were operating with a fairly similar amount of knowledge of matters as ourselves, they just pretend to the contrary.

dev1l

If I m not wrong they even have a good centre half too?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Adrian Durham criticising Pochettino for staying. :lol:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Maybe Durham assumes everyone is a whore....it says a lot about the man :)
He'd be having a go at somebody either way, just twists events to suit.

Matt Holland just said: "There was a really good article by Neil Ashton in the Daily Mail today." That's an oxymoron if ever i heard one.

Bebe

He'd be having a go at somebody either way, just twists events to suit.

Mat Holland just said: "There was a really good article by Neil Ashton in the Daily Mail today." That's an oxymoron if ever i heard one.
If by really good article he means "steaming pile of shit" then sure. It's a pathetic and useless article, from a pathetic and useless author.