Run it back: 3 games you'd choose?

SteveW

It's not even close. 3 games against weaker teams that 100% cost us 2 leagues and another CL. Replaying the Barca finals etc is pointless because they were better than us and would probably win again. The following 3 were games we should never have let slip.

West Ham 1995 - Draw to hand the league to Dalgleish's Blackburn. Laid seige to their goal but could not get the ball over the line.

Everton 2012 - played some beautiful stuff only to let them equalise with 2 late goals. Aguerooooo would never have happened.

Porto 2004 - Howard's blunder and a ridiculous offside decision laid the framework for Mourinhos few years of terror. We had to beat Porto, Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco to win the CL that year.

Notable mentions
Portsmouth 2008 - the Martin Atkinson quarter final
Leverkson
Dortmund 1998
Bayern 2010
Madrid - Nani
Ireland - France Henry handball

Cat1989

Supports
Arsenal
For me:
FA cup semi final 99- Bergkamp scores that pen game over.
Leeds 99 - We win that we win the league. Amazing with fine margins that two minimal things could of resulted in a consecutive Arsenal double and no Man United treble. Shows how tough it was back then.
Barcelona 2006- Thought it was destiny, last season at Highbury and the French connection with the final being played out in Paris, thought it was meant to be. We were robbed but there you go

VanKenny

Liverpool vs Barcelona 2019. Never been so heartbroken by a football match before in my life, felt like i had just ended a good and healthy 6 month relationship or something

Mexico vs Argentina 2006. That Maxi Rodriguez goal on extra time was utterly ridiculous

Mexico vs USA 2002 WC round of 16, 2-0, a game we thought we had in the bag

mshnsh

3 is tough because there are many but here goes:

Dortmund 1997; just lack of composure in front of goal.

Madrid 2013; were the better side but lost due to poor refereeing respectively. Was never a red.

Porto 2004; terrible performance; typical celebration by mourinho to rub it in. Wish we had beaten them.

I feel we should have won more than 1 UCL title in the late 90s and early 2000s with the team we had.

do.omb

Supports
Bayern Munich
FC Bayern:

99 CL finale vs Manchester United x 1
I'd like to have another crack at this one as the end seemed fluky. Now more than 20 years later I have to admit that the 99 Manchester treble team was outstanding and the title was befitting of that team.

2012 "Finale Dahoam" vs CFC x 2
Biggest fluke of a game I have personally ever seen. Albeit it is more recent than the loss in Barcelona, I can already tell that this one will sting for longer. Not sure how to explain this but something insight my football fan heart died that day. I sat still, motion- and emotionless in front of the TV for a solide 11 minutes after the final whistle. Robben's goal and treble a year later vs Dortmund healed some of this - but not all.
Play this game 100 times - Bayern win 99 times. Trying to always look for the positive in things I can find a modicum of solace in the facts that a) Chelsea had been robbed by refs and lady fortune multiple times in the decade before, so they we're kind of "due" the title and b) Drogba was the played player on the pitch and appears to be an actual decent human being.

Greck

Surprised anyone wants to run back those Barca finals. Those guys got whatever they wanted against us, especially in 2011. We were outmatched in quality and tactics. Ferdinand called it one of his worst moments on a pitch and I have a similar recollection

foolsgold

Agree with much posted here but I’ll add the 5-3 defeat away at Leicester. 6 years and it still annoys me.

Van Gaal lost his aura that day for me. Blew a 3-1 lead, Jamie Vardy’s first premier league goal.

georgipep

Two 3-2 losses: the one against Real back in 2000 (we were so sloppy), the other vs Bayern in 2010.

The final against Barcelona in 2009.

Special mention: the Porto game in 2004.
Do you think Mourinho would've had a different career path if Porto didn't beat us then? I think it's fair to assume he wouldn't be Abramovich' choice (remember Monaco's Deschamps was the other hot favourite back then) but I would still expect him to reach the top somehow. Maybe via a different route, going to a Sevilla/Athletico Madrid/Everton/Lazio club before any "tier 1" club comes calling.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Australia 2 Iran 2 1997 WCQ 2nd leg: Australia was dominant, 2-0 up and then Iran score two quick goals to level the match at 2-2 and put Iran ahead 2-1 on away goals. Iran hung on to qualify for the World Cup while the Socceroos left to bemoan another missed opportunity to qualify for a World Cup for the first time since 1974.

Australia 0 Italy 1 2006 World Cup round of 16: With just under a minute to go in normal Italy win a soft penalty due to Lucas Neill going to ground and Grosso falling over Neill. Totti scored the ensuing penalty to knock Australia out. If only Neill stayed on his feet the match would have gone to extra time and the Socceroos would have fancied themselves to make the man advantage count. However, any defender who goes to ground in their penalty box is taking a huge risk. .

Australia 0 Germany 4 World Cup 2010: I don't believe the Socceroos had it in them to beat Germany or give Germany much to worry about but the context is important. The Socceroos finished the group stages of the 2006 World Cup with a goal difference of 0 which was going to give them a chance of going through via GD if they were level on points. As if was goal differenc didn't matter in the end, the Socceroos finished 2nd on points. Unfortunately, in the 2010 World Cup, Australia's goal difference was -4 after their match against Germany which meant they had to beat Ghana and Serbia in thier last two games if they were to qualify. The Socceroos drew with Ghana and beat Serbia but went out on goal differece. Ghana's goal difference was 0, Australa's was -3.

Club:

Champions League semi final 2010: Inter Milan deserved to go through even if their 3rd goal in the first leg appeared to be offside and Pedro's late goal was controversially disallowed. Some may say what goes around comes around too. My approach is not to blame officials for the result of a 2 legged tie - Inter played well and deserved to go through. The big frustration was that Barcelona missed a chance to not just win the Champions League two years in a row but to win Champions League at the Santiago Bernabeu which would have been nice.

Champions League SF 2nd leg vs Chelsea 2012: That whole tie was frustrating but it just seemed to me that Chelsea was jsut destined to win the tournament that season.

Champions League SF 2nd leg vs Liverpool 2019: While Liverpool deserve plenty of credit for overturning a 3-0 first leg deficit, Barcelona produced a 2nd consecutive bottle job that PSG would be proud of. The winner of that tie was highly likely to go and win the tournament too which only added to the frustration.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That 4-4 v Everton is a good shout.
3-1 and 4-2 up was it?
Evra hits the post at 4-2 i think.
But we totally couldn't handle Fellaini.

I remember we were trying to make defensive subs at 4-3 and still made them at 4-4!
Rio having a great 90th min effort too.

We were shell shocked but it was all still massively in our hands.
Then we lost to both Wigan and City. Dreadful.

meamth

That Nani red card, was it CL semifinal in Fergie's last season?

That's the one. Felt robbed.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Could pick so many for United. Trying to find some that haven't been mentioned as my top three have been covered multiple times.
-2007 FA Cup Final - United laid a turd that match and should have won by a couple goals, achieving another double.
-2003 Worthington Cup Final - United laid a turd in this match against a vastly inferior side.
-1994 Coca Cola Cup Final - Could have won the only domestic treble in English history.

For the USA, I could say the 2017 WCQF loss at Trinidad but they'd have done nothing in the actual WC.
-1998 WC loss to Iran - Utter shit show performance by the US and hit the post multiple times.
-2002 WC QF loss to Germany - US were the better performing side that day but could not find the goal, from Donovan's miss to Sanneh's late header.
-2010 WC R16 loss to Ghana - Another chance to make a WC run lost through a limp performance.

Last edited:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
That Portsmouth fa cup game is top of my list as it prevented the treble.

I believe we would have won the champions league in Fergies final season if not for that Madrid game.

Finally the Bayern game where Rafael was sent off, with Lyon in the next leg and Inter in the final we had a huge opportunity.

Special mention to the Porto game, winning that would have huge implications by preventing Jose from going to Chelsea.
This. First thought that came to mind. We would’ve won the treble again so fecking annoying.

AshRK

Obvious ones would be:
Losing to real madrid in 2012-13 CL
Getting knocked out against bayern in 09-10 when we literally tore them apart before rafael getting sent off
Bottling against Everton 4:4 draw after leading 3-1.

The outside shout for me (more recent ones)would be:
The loss against westham in 15-16 season in the PL after leadimg 2-1. Ultimately that loss meant we missed out on top 4 at the expense of city.

The Leicester 5-3 loss also hurt considering van gaal became more defensive after that. Who know had we won that game we would have continued playing expansive football with di maria rooney falcao van persie.

led_scholes

Do you think Mourinho would've had a different career path if Porto didn't beat us then? I think it's fair to assume he wouldn't be Abramovich' choice (remember Monaco's Deschamps was the other hot favourite back then) but I would still expect him to reach the top somehow. Maybe via a different route, going to a Sevilla/Athletico Madrid/Everton/Lazio club before any "tier 1" club comes calling.
I agree with you. No matter how I disliked his post-Sevilla time here, for about ten 10 years he was among the top 5 managers in the world, if not top 3.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
3 games where I'd choose another penalty shooter:
-Deportivo-Valencia 1994, Djukic missing the penalty in the last second. It is said that Bebeto panicked. Deportivo deserved that league.
-Euro 2000, France-Spain, Raúl deciding to shoot the penalty instead of Mendieta, which could have been a draw.
-Madrid-Bayern, Ramos with his penalty to the moon.
A match with a red card.Madrid-Barça 2011, red to Pepe and Messi with 2 goals in the last 15 minutes.
And another with a series of unfortunate events in a short time(USA 94). Blatant penalty by elbow of Tassotti to Luis Enrique, Salinas missing half a goal and Baggio's goal in the counter

Bobski

Dortmund 97, OT. Utd missed enough chances to win 10 games that night, both goals Dortmund scored over the tie were deflected, Utd were clearly the superior side but perhaps the moment for a young side just told. Cantona hitting Kohler from a yard out with the guy lying on the ground, an injured Giggs coming on and having 2 goals disallowed. Freak night

That and Madrid 2000, another tie Utd lost to an inferior team.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Obvious one

Chelsea 2014. Only a draw required and once Chelsea had their goal, there was no chance of us scoring.

Champions League Final 2007 vs AC Milan. We were the better team but just like 2 year previous, the better team didn't win.

Champions League Final 2018. Ramos' challenge on Salah was devastating to us as we were on top until then. 0-0 at halftime and then Karius happened. Played over and over, Madrid would still probably win as they were a better team than us but our Keeper didn't need to give them any help.

Bogga

Real CL 12/13 - The Nani red card
Bayern CL 09/10 - The Rafael red card
Porto CL 03/04 - Tim Howard howler

Thought we could've had a good chance at winning those years, especially the 03/04 one...

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
My Dad and I took my sister and my cousins to their first ever United game. A 0-4 defeat to QPR (many moons ago). I'd love to etch my cousins comment from my memory: "The team in red aren't very good are they"!

The FA cup final loss to Everton. The only final defeat I've seen live (I was there for 83 (replay), 85, 90 & 96 and ECL finals of 99 and 2008)

Redcy

The united ones don’t hurt really. With so much success why should they.

Italia 90 - a great team that we’re a bit lucky

euro 96. We had a couple of good games, a couple of scrappy ones, but we really should have won that game. Maybe not technically but the whole country felt on the edge of something that summer

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
3 games where I'd choose another penalty shooter:
-Deportivo-Valencia 1994, Djukic missing the penalty in the last second. It is said that Bebeto panicked. Deportivo deserved that league.
-Euro 2000, France-Spain, Raúl deciding to shoot the penalty instead of Mendieta, which could have been a draw.
I think in both games the default penalty taker had been substituted - Donato for Depor and Mendieta for Spain. Bebeto was the normal penalty taker but had missed twice before the Valencia game. Although with Donato off the park you'd have to think who is best placed to take one and it's usually not the big centre-half lumbering up from the back.

It looked like Raul was trying to put it right in the top corner. Don't think he was a great penalty taker, having scored 7 out of 10 before Euro 2000.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Chelsea 2-1 in 2010
Everton 4-4 in 2012

These games stopped us winning the league 7 years running.

Barcelona 2009. We'd have been the first club to retain the CL since it was rebranded.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think in both games the default penalty taker had been substituted - Donato for Depor and Mendieta for Spain. Bebeto was the normal penalty taker but had missed twice before the Valencia game. Although with Donato off the park you'd have to think who is best placed to take one and it's usually not the big centre-half lumbering up from the back.

It looked like Raul was trying to put it right in the top corner. Don't think he was a great penalty taker, having scored 7 out of 10 before Euro 2000.
I didn't remember about Mendieta.No, he wasn't good with penalties or free kicks despite keep trying along his career.
It was a pity about Donato.
Poor Djukic, that penalty followed him his entire career

Spaghetti

Mom's
West Ham 95, Everton 4-4, Portsmouth FA cup.

There are loads of frustrating games but those were the first three that came to mind as they pretty directly cost us trophies that we should have won.