Music Run The Jewels | RTJ4 out now - released early

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ta. As I’m basically a boomer, I’m a sucker for anything to do with RATM.
If you’re only listening to that track may I recommend adding the one before it on the album too; Walking In The Snow.

Poignant and an absolute banger.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Really enjoyed it on first listen. Great Gang of Four sample on The Ground Below.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’m working my way through the album actually. Which is taking longer than I’d like because the kids keep telling me to turn it off because of all the swearing!
:lol:

One of my good mates has a 12 y/o son and he follows all our group of friends on Insta, when I put the album on my stories he sent me a message asking what it was so he could download it. I was like “erm speak to your dad k byeeee”

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
:lol:

One of my good mates has a 12 y/o son and he follows all our group of friends on Insta, when I put the album on my stories he sent me a message asking what it was so he could download it. I was like “erm speak to your dad k byeeee”
is 12 that bad? I was listening to Dre and Eminem when I was 12 :lol: although pretty sure I never played them loud enough for my parents to hear!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
is 12 that bad? I was listening to Dre and Eminem when I was 12 :lol: although pretty sure I never played them loud enough for my parents to hear!
Probably not but I’m not being the answer to the question “where did you hear about this” from his old man!

stu_1992

Ta. As I’m basically a boomer, I’m a sucker for anything to do with RATM.
Same honestly, I was supposed to be seeing them for the first time in Paris this summer (along with Run The Jewels) until Covid. Closest I've seen so far is Prophets of Rage, which obviously didn't feature Zach.

Zack de la Rocha is awesome.

My first exposure to RTJ was #2 and I remember the first time I listened to it when Close Your Eyes and Count to feck came on I was like “Is that de la Rocha?!?!”

Agree with you on both that his cameo on this one is again a highlight but Walking In The Snow is the best track.
Yeah same, I think someone sent me the video that song as I had to investigate more. It's so rare to see him in anything since Rage that it's a guaranteed listen from me. Tbf I came to like RTJ in their own right as well, and I'm really enjoying this album overall. Was excited to see them too, damn virus! :mad:

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Speaking of Zach and RTJ, why did the Zach solo album never surface? Allegedly it's finished, and produced entirely by El-P. There was a single from it a few years ago which was pretty great, and then nothing.

I wish Zach was more active generally.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Meh. Might just be that I need to listen to it when I'm more in the mood to but didn't think it was on the same level as their previous stuff.

Rapping and lyrics are still on point but the actual tracks are all a bit samey and forgettable, bar a couple of decent ones. Might grow on me though.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone agree with what he’s done over the last decade Mike’s got a shout for one of the greatest?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Speaking of Zach and RTJ, why did the Zach solo album never surface? Allegedly it's finished, and produced entirely by El-P. There was a single from it a few years ago which was pretty great, and then nothing.

I wish Zach was more active generally.
There was one with EL-P? I know about one he did with Trent Reznor

It's a bit strange because Trent Reznor said the tracks were excellent but maybe Zach is a perfectionist. I'm still wondering they'll ever come to light. I imagine Trent has them on a hard drive somewhere but won't release them without the ok from Zach.

One Day as a Lion was also good but that stopped after just a single LP.

Dante

Average bang
Anyone agree with what he’s done over the last decade Mike’s got a shout for one of the greatest?
Yep. I made a case for him being the best rapper in the world back in June 2017. He's definitely in the debate for the greatest, imo.

I reckon Killer Mike is the best rapper in the world.

In terms of flow and clever lyricism, he's untouchable, imo. Only Kendrick comes close through the fact he's so incredibly literary and poetic.

Having said that, I watched a fair few Killer Mike interviews during election season and I think he's every bit as intelligent. But his genre of hip hop doesn't give him free rein to produce an album like TPAB. I personally prefer all three RTJ albums to it though, so it's kind of irrelevant to me in any case.

BootsyCollins

He is a little like Pharoahe Monch for me. Lyrics, technuiqe, flow, wordplay, voice and subject is all amazing, but there is something (maybe mainstream appeal) that going to keep them from getting that level of recognition as the greatest. Not sure they want it anyway to be honest.

Amongst their peers i am sure they are both reconized as some of the best who ever done it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There was one with EL-P? I know about one he did with Trent Reznor

It's a bit strange because Trent Reznor said the tracks were excellent but maybe Zach is a perfectionist. I'm still wondering they'll ever come to light. I imagine Trent has them on a hard drive somewhere but won't release them without the ok from Zach.

One Day as a Lion was also good but that stopped after just a single LP.
I had forgotten about the record he did with Trent Reznor. I hope one day that sees the light of day.

All that seems to exist about the record with El-P is on his wiki page:

On September 8, 2016, it was reported that de la Rocha's first solo album was complete and would be released in early 2017. The news came with a new song, produced by El-P, called "Digging for Windows" that was released on YouTube and BitTorrent.[28] However, to date, the album remains unreleased with no further announcements made.
The track that was released was good, it's a shame we didn't get to hear any more.

One Day as a Lion was a great project too, there just wasn't enough of it. The world needs more Zach.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I had forgotten about the record he did with Trent Reznor. I hope one day that sees the light of day.

All that seems to exist about the record with El-P is on his wiki page:

The track that was released was good, it's a shame we didn't get to hear any more.

One Day as a Lion was a great project too, there just wasn't enough of it. The world needs more Zach.
That's the thing, it seems like the only one preventing more Zach is Zach. He's a very private person so it's hard to tell what the reason behind him not releasing music is.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I like the new album but it's not my favourite. I'm finding I pretty much skip some tracks and go straight to the Goonies, WITS, JU$T stretch.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I like the new album but it's not my favourite. I'm finding I pretty much skip some tracks and go straight to the Goonies, WITS, JU$T stretch.
Yeah same. I'll take in Ooh La La on the way though. The opening track is the weakest off any of the 4 albums imo. Doesn't grab you like 'Jeopardy' or 'Run the Jewels'.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah same. I'll take in Ooh La La on the way though. The opening track is the weakest off any of the 4 albums imo. Doesn't grab you like 'Jeopardy' or 'Run the Jewels'.
Yeah that one gets a few listens from me but grown tired of it a bit. The last 4 tracks on the album are extremely forgettable really and the hooks on never look back and the ground below are a bit pants. Then again hooks have probably always been their weakness. Just seems to lack standout verses like RTJ2 was packed with.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Looking back I didn't really like this album. Haven't gone back to it which is a shame.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Funnily enough I went back to it a week or so back and really enjoyed it. Definitely below 1 & 2, but better than 3 iirc.

Dante

Average bang

Full performance of RTJ4 intended to encourage people to get out and vote in the US election.

It's the closest I'm getting to live music for the foreseeable future, so I'm gonna enjoy it.

Dante

Average bang

It's been 10 years since I made R.A.P. Music with Jaime, A LOT has happened since. While waiting for the World to end the last 2 years I made a song called "RUN", it is produced by another mentor and brother of mine - No I.D. and features Young Thug, who I'd been wanting to work with forever.

I wanted to make a song that looked forward for my people instead of backward, one that celebrated us instead of dwelled on our pain. When I wrote 'The race to Freedom was never won' I was speaking specifically to the Black experience, but in the last few weeks it's becoming increasingly apparent that this rings truer now more than ever for EVERYONE.

I lived with the song for months, and remembered a pep talk Dave Chappelle gave me so I asked him if he'd do something in the spirit of that for this song. What he sent back was something else... I wasn't prepared for him to take one of the most romanticized events in World history and use it as an elegant metaphor for the Black experience in America.

Which brings us to the video - the intro reminded me that the first American to die for the United States in the Revolutionary war was Crispus Attucks, in other words Black history is American history, no qualifier. Keep this in mind while watching this video and I hope you enjoy it.