Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

DT12

Supports
Everton
https://www.politico.eu/article/why-ukraine-losing-russia-war/

"As Ukraine’s ousted chief commander Zaluzhny found to his cost, rational warnings that things may not turn out well can get commentators and analysts in trouble. But suspending critical thinking won’t win this war either.

The early burst of patriotic fervor which saw draft centers swamped with volunteers has evaporated. An estimated 650,000 men of fighting age have fled their country, most by smuggling themselves across the border.

Two years ago, the trains heading out of Ukraine were almost exclusively carrying women, children and the elderly to seek refuge. This week, around a third of the passengers on one train carrying this correspondent out of the country were men of fighting age. Somehow they’d managed to get waiver papers to leave"

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think its wishfull thinking. The whole idea that in countires that has only briefly flirted with democracy that the replacement of a dictator will be progressive is sort of naive considering that their brief spell with democracy was considered humaliating. On a whole I dont think the Russians national psyche and narrative will offer something radically better than whats already on the table.
I think the realistic hope is not a democracy but a more practical minded leader that would be willing to trade geopolitical ambitions for economical gain, lifting of the sanctions etc.

Not that it would be this simple, I’d imagine that the west would ask for significant reparations (and rightly so), so it would be a significant short-term loss for a potential long-term gain for Russia.

All wishful thinking though. Everybody seems to be dying except for the one that actually needs to.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Germany arrests two for alleged military sabotage plot on behalf of Russia

BERLIN, April 18 (Reuters) - Two German-Russian nationals have been arrested in Germany on suspicion of plotting sabotage attacks, including on U.S. military facilities, in what officials called a serious effort to undermine military support for Ukraine.

According to Spiegel magazine, the facilities included the Grafenwoehr army base in the southern state of Bavaria, where Ukrainian soldiers receive training to use U.S. Abrams tanks.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...itary-sabotage-plot-behalf-russia-2024-04-18/