Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Putin's desperation for a win seems to involve going all in on Bakhmut. Much like Mariupol, it won't be much of a win if there's nothing left of the city.

The United

Putin's desperation for a win seems to involve going all in on Bakhmut. Much like Mariupol, it won't be much of a win if there's nothing left of the city.

UA war monitor on Twitter, who seems to have some accurate information, has hinted that there will be little good news from the eastern front in the coming days. I believe UA will leave the city on their own terms.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
UA war monitor on Twitter, who seems to have some accurate information, has hinted that there will be little good news from the eastern front in the coming days. I believe UA will leave the city on their own terms.
Bakhmut seems a pointless hill to die on for both sides.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is supposedly the latest : The Russians don't seem to be making much progress in the present compared with the early months of the war.

The United

Bakhmut seems a pointless hill to die on for both sides.
At this point, I agree. It is mostly symbolic stuff for both.

Months ago, I thought the UA had a territorial advantage and should waste the RA's combat capacity by holding the city as much as they could. But once the outer defense lines were broken in late December, that advantage was gone, and UA has to look at whether it is worth fighting for. Even if the casualty ratio is something like three RA criminals for one UA defender would be too much for that city at this point.

Pintu

At this point, I agree. It is mostly symbolic stuff for both.
It is probably symbolic for the Russians... But for the UA it is not dumb at all to keep Russia concentrated on Bakhmut, this means men and ammunition being spent by the Russians that they won't have available for more important battles. Time is on Ukraine's side...

buchansleftleg

Assuming Ukraine spring offensive in the south is successful, isn't it better to cut off Crimea, instead of trying to capture it?
I'm no expert but an age old tactic was to recommend never completely encircling an enemy - as they only have one tactic left - dig in and fight to the death.

The idea was to leave a narrow escape route and monitor it. Infantry escaping in a panic will help overwhelm the logistics of your enemy. You just intervene if they are trying an ordered retreat with hardware....then you lay into them like the road back to Baghdad in the gulf war...you've created a target rich environment across a narrow field of operations and can cherry pick the juiciest targets

The United

It is probably symbolic for the Russians... But for the UA it is not dumb at all to keep Russia concentrated on Bakhmut, this means men and ammunition being spent by the Russians that they won't have available for more important battles. Time is on Ukraine's side...
I mean you read the second paragraph right? No one said it was dumb.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm no expert but an age old tactic was to recommend never completely encircling an enemy - as they only have one tactic left - dig in and fight to the death.

The idea was to leave a narrow escape route and monitor it. Infantry escaping in a panic will help overwhelm the logistics of your enemy. You just intervene if they are trying an ordered retreat with hardware....then you lay into them like the road back to Baghdad in the gulf war...you've created a target rich environment across a narrow field of operations and can cherry pick the juiciest targets
Exactly. If you do manage to encircle the enemy, you don't really know where they would try to break out. Whereas if you don't do that you pretty much know where they are going to do so.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

In such a scenario, the Russians still would have an escape route via the Kerch Bridge and by sea.

NotThatSoph

You'd think if they wanted to look credible they'd switch the NATO trainers and soldiers numbers around, strange choice. The death number is vaguely similar to casualty numbers thrown around, so could pass. NATO are helping with training, hard to know exactly where and how much so you could claim a bunch of those, and you could probably get away with a low number of NATO soldiers and thereby imply that they're fighting in secret. Thousands is just bizarre.

Works on Musk, though, so maybe it just doesn't matter.

Simbo

So, do we think he's a complete dumbass or that he's just on the Russian side?

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm not such a huge fan of old military adages or universal "truths". This particular one gets repeated a lot, but Germany basically conquered France in weeks in WW2 through encirclement. And all of the biggest German victories in the invasion of the Soviet Union were based on total encirclement, as was perhaps the turning-point of the war at Stalingrad. If you've truly trapped someone to the degree that they can't escape in any way, then you've also cut off their supply lines, and in modern warfare you can't usually win then.

This adage might have worked in ancient warfare, but I just don't think it applies that much anymore. Then again plenty of the greatest ancient victories came through encirclement as well (hello Cannae), so maybe it was never that profound to begin with.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So, do we think he's a complete dumbass or that he's just on the Russian side?
He's more in the attention seeking "aren't I alternative" mold, who thinks its important to combat the woke mind virus, or more broadly, say things that counter prevailing narratives, and in the process draw attention to himself.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm not such a huge fan of old military adages or universal "truths". This particular one gets repeated a lot, but Germany basically conquered France in weeks in WW2 through encirclement. And all of the biggest German victories in the invasion of the Soviet Union were based on total encirclement, as was perhaps the turning-point of the war at Stalingrad. If you've truly trapped someone to the degree that they can't escape in any way, then you've also cut off their supply lines, and in modern warfare you can't usually win then.

This adage might have worked in ancient warfare, but I just don't think it applies that much anymore. Then again plenty of the greatest ancient victories came through encirclement as well (hello Cannae), so maybe it was never that profound to begin with.
It depends a bit on the relation of the fighting troops/countries. WW2 in France was relatively civilised - mostly surrendering troops where taken POW and didn't get harmed. If you know that you can expect such a treatment you are more likely to surrender than in a situation like Mariupol where the encircled troops had to expect being killed either way.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It depends a bit on the relation of the fighting troops/countries. WW2 in France was relatively civilised - mostly surrendering troops where taken POW and didn't get harmed. If you know that you can expect such a treatment you are more likely to surrender than in a situation like Mariupol where the encircled troops had to expect being killed either way.
Okay so that explains the one example, but it definitely doesn't explain the other two. Most POWs taken from both of those died, though more from malice with the Nazis (some malice from the Soviets as well, though it also had a lot to do with the 6th army just dying already from starvation, disease and the cold).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Okay so that explains the one example, but it definitely doesn't explain the other two. Most POWs taken from both of those died, though more from malice with the Nazis (some malice from the Soviets as well, though it also had a lot to do with the 6th army just dying already from starvation, disease and the cold).
Arguably Stalingrad was completely cut off very late in the battle as it was tried and to some degree worked to supply the encircled German troops by the air force. It didn't work as well as the Reich would have needed, but it was that small lifeline that wasn't cut off for a long time.

Simbo

He's more in the attention seeking "aren't I alternative" mold, who thinks its important to combat the woke mind virus, or more broadly, say things that counter prevailing narratives, and in the process draw attention to himself.
Yeh that's the other option, I hope that's the case.

UK MoD had to respond to this one because of him.

Simbo

I thought this was some sort of infrared camera at first, but no, that dude is actually on fire.

Rajma

I thought this was some sort of infrared camera at first, but no, that dude is actually on fire.
The videos from Vuhledar keep coming during the last week or so, it’s been a total massacre for Russian forces thus far as their offensive is now fully underway on all fronts…They have learned shit all from Kiev offensive only now in those scrap metals you’ll have burning Russian mobiks instead of professional army that tried marching on Kiev.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The videos from Vuhledar keep coming during the last week or so, it’s been a total massacre for Russian forces thus far as their offensive is now fully underway on all fronts…They have learned shit all from Kiev offensive only now in those scrap metals you have burning Russian mobiks instead of professional army that tried marching on Kiev.
I don't think Putin cares how many die as long as he can continue to successfully hide the true numbers from the Russian public and continue recruiting others.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He has arguments that Putin “exists”? Wut?
In another post he explained his theory that there is the real Putin and (at least one) doppelganger who takes care of public events, and he had some arguments for this theory. So here he probably means that the real Putin is still living and in control, but might die or become incapable to act, and then he might be completely replaced by his doppelganger if someone wants to cover that up.

Carolina Red

Staff
No lie, I’m sitting here watching this while my wife is on Tiktok and right as the tank goes up her phone plays the “dumb ways to die” song.

I’m beside myself

stevoc

In another post he explained his theory that there is the real Putin and (at least one) doppelganger who takes care of public events, and he had some arguments for this theory. So here he probably means that the real Putin is still living and in control, but might die or become incapable to act, and then he might be completely replaced by his doppelganger if someone wants to cover that up.
:lol:

Some Russians must be so far down the propaganda rabbit hole that they've lost all grip on reality.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
:lol:

Some Russians must be so far down the propaganda rabbit hole that they've lost all grip on reality.
Well yes, but Girkin is one of the most trustworthy Russian sources, he actually does oppose the official propaganda quite often and most of his analysis is on point and often proven by the ongoing events.

Of course he isn't part of the inner Kremlin circle so he is speculating about Putin, but I wouldn't dismiss his theories. They are far more grounded in reality than the official Russian propaganda.

stevoc

Well yes, but Girkin is one of the most trustworthy Russian sources, he actually does oppose the official propaganda quite often and most of his analysis is on point and often proven by the ongoing events.

Of course he isn't part of the inner Kremlin circle so he is speculating about Putin, but I wouldn't dismiss his theories. They are far more grounded in reality than the official Russian propaganda.
I know as far as Russian commentators go he's more grounded but this one is ridiculous. Do you really think it's possible the Russians have a guy who looks and sounds exactly like Putin that they wheel out for public appearances and could use him to replace Putin if he was killed/died and no one would notice?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I know as far as Russian commentators go he's more grounded but this one is ridiculous. Do you really think it's possible the Russians have a guy who looks and sounds exactly like Putin that they wheel out for public appearances and could use him to replace Putin if he was killed/died and no one would notice?
Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. I don't really think it is, but I wouldn't bet much on that.

stevoc

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. I don't really think it is, but I wouldn't bet much on that.
I mean I'm sure some world leaders have lookalikes for diversion purposes when they travel.

But I just can't buy into the idea that Russia has found a guy who looks and sounds so much like putin that he could replace him and fool everyone in interviews etc.