Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

the hea

That was one of the most morbidly fascinating things I have ever seen.
I'm not sure what to feel when seeing videos like this one. On one hand I'm happy that the Ukrainians are fighting such a incompetent force but on the other hand I also feel sorry for those Russians because those are not soldiers, they lack even the most basic of training for an infantry soldier.
Attacking in the open when there is decent cover just meters away and no coordination in the attack, everyone just seems to be doing their own thing. Not even when the indirect fire starts comming in they seem to understand that they need to get in cover.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Drone operators became extremly skilled in dropping grenades after one year of practice. I remember those videos during the first months of the war when many grenades landed a few meters away from the target on average. Now they hit tank hatches, narrow trenches and small dugouts without problems.
Can't imagine what it's like down there in the trenches, not only to worry about an enemy assault or artillery, but also the knowledge that anytime, even at night, a drone might end your life and you don't see it coming.
Most of the time they also don't die instantly, but slowly bleed to death because of horrific shrapnel wounds. I saw videos where russian soldiers shot themselves after being hit with a shrapnel granade.
I don't want to know how many soldiers will have PTSD just from this alone, waking up at night in your own bed expecting a drone over your head.

the hea

Good thread by Ryan.
The comming offensive will set the tone for the future of this war. If it's a succes we could start seeing an end to the war soon but if it's a failure we will have years of the same grinding and very destructive type of warfare we have seen for the past 10 months.

the hea

How many Ukrainians in total have been trained abroad?
I haven't seen any exact numbers but around 40,000 would be my guess. I believe UK have trained 20,000 infantry troops so far in their program and the EU program that started in November should have the first 15,000 finishing their training about now. Add in all the types of specialized troops that are being trained by various nations on more advanced weapons and 40,000 would seem pretty close.

Simbo

Drone operators became extremly skilled in dropping grenades after one year of practice. I remember those videos during the first months of the war when many grenades landed a few meters away from the target on average. Now they hit tank hatches, narrow trenches and small dugouts without problems.
Can't imagine what it's like down there in the trenches, not only to worry about an enemy assault or artillery, but also the knowledge that anytime, even at night, a drone might end your life and you don't see it coming.
Most of the time they also don't die instantly, but slowly bleed to death because of horrific shrapnel wounds. I saw videos where russian soldiers shot themselves after being hit with a shrapnel granade.
I don't want to know how many soldiers will have PTSD just from this alone, waking up at night in your own bed expecting a drone over your head.
There was a clip of 30+ Russians lying dead or close to death in a small part of a trench, and that was just what was in view on this drone footage. First time I've felt sympathy for these guys. That and the fact we only see small snippets of the reality of this war. feck Putin.

Simbo

Episode 2 is out... They stated they would release footage covering a 7 day battle for this area.

Viewer discretion advised! Death & some close ups...

Translated description from the video:
Six meters wide. 30 meters along. Seven days of continuous fighting for this small piece of Ukrainian land.
Today we publish a continuation of the battle for one of the positions of our battalion.

The battle for the "T-pattern". PART TWO. Rebuff

We will remind that more than 30 Russian attack aircraft attacked the "T-pattern" position. Eight of our brothers in the trenches faced an unequal battle. Most of the enemy group was destroyed. However, the invaders came close to the trenches.

The reserve of our battalion, which is already rushing to support, has the power to turn the tide of the battle.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Episode 2 is out... They stated they would release footage covering a 7 day battle for this area.

Translated discription from the video:
Six meters wide. 30 meters along. Seven days of continuous fighting for this small piece of Ukrainian land.
Today we publish a continuation of the battle for one of the positions of our battalion.

We will remind that more than 30 Russian attack aircraft attacked the "T-pattern" position. Eight of our brothers in the trenches faced an unequal battle. Most of the enemy group was destroyed. However, the invaders came close to the trenches.

The reserve of our battalion, which is already rushing to support, has the power to turn the tide of the battle.
This has basically devolved into WW1 style trench warfare for the Russians, which is why I think the Ukrainians have a good chance of winning this.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona

Translated discription from the video:

Own impatience killed the guy at 1:10...The first war with this kind of footage. Insane.

edit: A new Kraken video got released. Those guys have the best and most impressive videos out there. They also have a Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@KRAKEN_GUR/videos

edit2: Here is a video from Bakhmut city. Definitely worth to watch.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Man, imagine actually siding with Russia on this one just because you don't like the US.

Fascists are a scourge, but so are tankies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Man, imagine actually siding with Russia on this one just because you don't like the US.

Fascists are a scourge, but so are tankies.
Authoritarians are bound to side with one another, which is why Putin has cozied up to China and received military help from Iran. The sooner all these dictatorships collapse, the better.

RedDevilQuebecois

Authoritarians are bound to side with one another, which is why Putin has cozied up to China and received military help from Iran. The sooner all these dictatorships collapse, the better.
Amen.

No one ever said that democracy is an easy thing, but authoritarianism is always a recipe for disaster. Wish more people understand it.

Real Name

I'm not sure what to feel when seeing videos like this one. On one hand I'm happy that the Ukrainians are fighting such a incompetent force but on the other hand I also feel sorry for those Russians because those are not soldiers, they lack even the most basic of training for an infantry soldier.
Attacking in the open when there is decent cover just meters away and no coordination in the attack, everyone just seems to be doing their own thing. Not even when the indirect fire starts comming in they seem to understand that they need to get in cover.
Of course you feel sorry. They're sent there to die senselessly just cause a mad man has his own obsessions and fascinations. Incredibly sad and depressing. Of course its depressing for Ukrainian soldiers who are dying en masse cause they need to defend their country from that same mad man. So many lifes lost for nothing and the half of country or more destroyed.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Control with fear. A bookmark in every dictator's playbook.

RedDevilQuebecois

This list is worth a read as there are legitimate questions about the seriousness and the longevity of the deal between Russia and China. The history of mistrust between those 2 countries goes FAR back.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona

Irwin99

The thing that always fascinates me is something Yuval Noah Harari wrote in one of his books: Russia has no ideology beyond a corrupt oligarchy. So basically what they're 'selling' to the rest of the world is a hatred of the West but that really doesn't amount to much if you've nothing to replace it with in terms of an ideology that people can believe in. It's like ok, you think the West is horrible, fine, so what do you believe in and how will it appeal to people?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
This list is worth a read as there are legitimate questions about the seriousness and the longevity of the deal between Russia and China. The history of mistrust between those 2 countries goes FAR back.

As I mentioned, long time ago here, with the Russian population dwindling, low male expectancy and the Ukrainian war making a huge dent to their 20-40 years old age, in 20-30 years Russia will have problems to defend their territory, not only for the lack of people in their borders but economically speaking. China would have the resources to recover via combination of pressure/historical reasons/economic exchange. Russia would lose territories that they would not care that much and China would claim "historical territories" that it could use to give to their huge population (though they will be dwindling too).

Red Rash

This should put to bed any doubts he was also prepared to use tactical nukes if not for NATO warning him of consequences if he did.
Out of interest what do you think the consequences from NATO would have been?

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Out of interest what do you think the consequences from NATO would have been?
The rumors last summer were, that Nato threatened to create a no-fly zone in Ukraine if Putin would have decided to use tactical nukes.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Mind, it may very well be a deepfake but interesting rhetoric nevertheless...wonder if this is the kind of conversations among the Russian elites and celebs.

They fecked us up, our children, their future, their fate. They fooled everyone. And spilling the blood of innocent people.
He [Putin] was saying "as long as we have an army". It turned out, there was no army either.

Red Rash

The rumors last summer were, that Nato threatened to create a no-fly zone in Ukraine if Putin would have decided to use tactical nukes.
Fair enough these are the rumours I heard. I guess other than more sanctions NATO wouldn't dare to do more otherwise it could start WW3

MoskvaRed

Fair enough these are the rumours I heard. I guess other than more sanctions NATO wouldn't dare to do more otherwise it could start WW3
Irrespective of the NATO reaction, I reckon China would drop Russia instantly if it were to use a nuclear weapon in Europe.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Challengers are also in Ukraine. Seems like most of the western armor is in Ukraine already, apart from the Abrams of course. Now it'll depend on Ukraine to use them as efficiently as possible because it doesn't look like that they can expect another delivery soon. Even a 10 to 1 ratio wouldn't be good enough for the MBTs probably. And Russia will definetly use their air force to destroy those tanks, because they have also a big propaganda value to them.

The upcoming offensive will be probably the most important one in this war, for it will determine how long the war will continue. If it's successful, Putin would be under heavy pressure to start negotiating. If not, Kremlin gets enough propaganda material to keep brainwashing their people into continuing this war for the foreseeable future.

edit:
As probably some of you have seen the insane footage of the ukranian soldier Ruslan Zubariev who defended his trench together with his partner with all kinds of weapons against a russian assault, killed 4 and destroyed a BMP in the process. He got recently the golden cross for his heroic action.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/03/27/7395253/

For those who don't know the video, I put it in a spoiler because he shoots one russian attacker in more or less close combat. (If it's not allowed, please delete it then)
Absolutely insane footage. One man rambo and his personal squire!

And here is the full 30 min video:

Last edited:

dove

Russia have lost 1900 tanks which are visually confirmed so I would think the count provided by Ukraine (3600) in their daily updates is likely realistic or not that far off considering that obviously not every loss is visually documented, especially if it's further into Russian occupied territories. Crazy.

JuriM

Politico really dug itself a hole there, with this terrible obvious smear campaign article.

Check all the replies, how our people debunked it in matter of seconds :D

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The thing that always fascinates me is something Yuval Noah Harari wrote in one of his books: Russia has no ideology beyond a corrupt oligarchy. So basically what they're 'selling' to the rest of the world is a hatred of the West but that really doesn't amount to much if you've nothing to replace it with in terms of an ideology that people can believe in. It's like ok, you think the West is horrible, fine, so what do you believe in and how will it appeal to people?
No cancel culture (except for when we ban free speech and prosecute regular people and artists alike for daring not to support the war)
Traditional values based on Christianity and heterosexual marriage (with Putin initiating a genocidal war, having multiple "illegitimate" children and semi-openly cheating on his wife for many years)
Focus on promoting Russian history and culture (historical fakes like 28 Panfilov's men get put into schoolbooks while things like Molotov-Ribbentrop pact or Stalin's repressions gets excluded; most decent contemporary Russian authors fled the country and Russian culture, unsurprisingly, is at its (all-time?) low in terms of popularity abroad)