Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

RedDevilQuebecois

If this was the US bringing back M4 Shermans, M24 Chaffees, M41 Walker Bulldogs, M46/M47/M48 Pattons, and M26 Pershings into active service, the memes would be running wild all over the internet at the moment.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If this was the US bringing back M4 Shermans, M24 Chaffees, M41 Walker Bulldogs, M46/M47M48 Pattons, and M26 Pershings into active service, the memes would be running wild all over the internet at the moment.
Right...and? It's not. End of the day a fat gun that can shoot 12 miles is better than no gun shooting no miles as long as it doesn't blow up and kill your own men. If they miss with all their shells then they'll be in no worse a position really and they might still demoralise the enemy a bit. It's quite different with ancient tanks that are vulnerable to enemy fire.

Carolina Red

Staff
Right...and? It's not. End of the day a fat gun that can shoot 12 miles is better than no gun shooting no miles as long as it doesn't blow up and kill your own men. If they miss with all their shells then they'll be in no worse a position really and they might still demoralise the enemy a bit. It's quite different with ancient tanks that are vulnerable to enemy fire.
You’ve missed the point.

dove

When Russia uses old equipment: Russians are losers on the verge of the defeat.

When Ukraine uses old equipment: Ukrainians are creative and resourceful geniuses for putting old stuff to use.

But I'm not sure of that post about old Soviet weapons used by Ukrainians . Maybe just April fool's joke. Ukrainians supposedly have most modern NATO stuff and all the intelligence that comes with it.
Except that they don't really. For one reason or another we send them the older models or downgraded ones, and not enough of them. It's a bid sad because if we did send our most modern stuff, a lot of civilian deaths could have been avoided. But I get your overall point. If you laugh at Russians bringing tanks from the museum, Ukrainians using stuff made in 1947 is hardly anything to boast about either (if that tweet is even true). But it shows that both sides are quite desperate and severely lacking more modern weapons.

https://www.dw.com/en/why-is-the-us-sending-downgraded-weaponry-to-ukraine/a-65121120

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
[/QUOTE]
You wpuld not get that reliability of products produced nowadays. That's upper echelon quality, nowhere to be found today.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
April fools day was yesterday? :lol:
It was probably like:
"The state duma forces every region to contribute to the special operation. We need to send something, if we don't want to fall out the window!"
"But we're in the middle of nowhere, we don't have anything except horses?"
"Then send them"

Spark

So was USA against Iraq and Afghanistan. Turns out it is hard to defeat those that don't want to be conquered.
It's hard to administer countries that don't want to be conquered. The USA found it fecking easy to invade those countries with their infinitely superior tech though, just have to look at the vastly distorted body count. (And before you think I'm somehow pro war on terror, I think both those invasions were catastrophic and disgraceful mistakes).

frostbite

Russian author Mikhail Shishkin:

Do dictators and dictatorships breed slave populations or do slave populations breed dictators? Ukraine was able to escape from this hellish circle, to escape from our common, monstrous, bloody past. For this reason it is hated by Russian impostors. A free and democratic Ukraine can serve as an example for the Russian population, which is why it is so important for Putin to destroy you.

In Russia, we had neither de-Stalinisation, nor the Nuremberg trials of the Communist party of the Soviet Union. The result we see: a new dictatorship. A dictatorship, by its very nature, cannot exist without enemies, which means war.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...nian-invasion-anniversary-my-russia-war-peace

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So was USA against Iraq and Afghanistan. Turns out it is hard to defeat those that don't want to be conquered.
Just out of curiosity, do you ever challenge your own opinion and try to see things from different perspectives?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
All the time my friend. I'm looking at this conflict from Russian perspective.
Exclusively it seems. Your perspective doesn't seem to be particularly holistic to say the least.

dove

I think we will see more and more stuff like that in Russia soon.

ExoduS

Exclusively it seems. Your perspective doesn't seem to be particularly holistic to say the least.
Never claimed that I do not have a bias. It is a disastrous conflict that I am personally devastated that it is happening. I'm equally devastated for Russian oriented Ukrainians as I am for west oriented Ukrainians. History will judge the events of past 9 or so years.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Perhaps, but if this was Russia doing it people would be laughing at them for using ancient equipment.
Might as well use it though if needed
I’ve seen a clips of Ukrainian army using old equipment. One of them was a First World War machine gun. May even have been a Vickers. Would still be deadly if it’s been kept in good condition.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Can only imagine what information the Western intelligence agencies have on these potential Russian infightings.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Let us hope Prigozhin takes that personally and starts a revenge war inside Russia. Better for everyone if they start killing each other.
Could he do that if he wanted? I doubt those convicts would follow him into a war against Russia

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Could he do that if he wanted? I doubt those convicts would follow him into a war against Russia
Prigozhin has also many senior mercenaries who were fighting in Africa and Syria for years. I'm pretty sure he has enough loyal men to take some kind of revenge (if that attack was indeed a message to him). But he could also fear Putin too much and do nothing of course. In any case, this hurts Russia.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yes, it is perfectly reasonable since we are against Russia, against Putin, and agaist dictatorships. We support Ukraine in this war.

If you insist in whataboutism for Iraq/Palestine, isn't it more reasonable for you to ask Iran or Turkey or Pakistan, why they did not boycott the Olympics? It is not reasonable for England and USA to boycott themselves, right?
Your post I quoted talked about 'feck all those Russians' and that every single one of them should face repurcussions. That sounds a lot more extreme than just sports, though I also don't think sports and politics should be mixed.

There is a difference between war and genocide. I wouldn't have actually been mad if the illegal war in Iraq had had consequences for those nations taking part in it, although I think unfortunately it was one of those things that once they'd started you might be better for everybody to finish, which is different to the Russians in Ukraine where the best thing that could happen for both sides would be for the Russians to leave immediately since they haven't overthrown the Ukrainian government.

But regardless, the Americans and British weren't in the dock in The Hague for the forced deportation and indoctrination of children. They weren't systematically attacking civilian infrastructure, including where they knew hundreds of women and children were sheltering, they didn't openly massacre hundreds of civilians in the street like in Bucha. They didn't plan to use concentration camps to subdue the population once they'd taken the capital.

I absolutely think some or all of the western powers in Iraq and Afghanistan must have committed war crimes, and shamefully some of them were even state sanctioned ones such as the torture in "dark sites" or whatever they called them, but the scale is totally incomparable. I'm sure war crimes happen in all wars but they're not supposed to be an integral part of the State's strategy.
What Israel is doing in Palestine is also ethnic cleansing. Systematically removing/killing innocent civilians while bringing in their own people to change the demographics of the area to accomplish their ultimate goal of taking over that land as their own. Hell, they control Palestinian civilian infrastructure so they don't have to bomb them to destroy them.

Also, lets not forget the US intentionally bombed Iraqi water treatment facilities in the 90's, which lead to a clean water crisis and that killed hundreds of thousands of children.

Americans and British weren't in The Hague because they control it. It's ridiculous to try and defend them with saying they technically aren't convicted of it because they never would have.

What about????
Standard response when someone calls out hypocrisy.

Except you can't simply "replace Russia" since each situation is completely different and therefore not interchangeably comparable.
Well that's because of the power dynamics in the West compared to Russia, and ofcourse the people being attacked are European and not brown or South East Asian commies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well that's because of the power dynamics in the West compared to Russia, and ofcourse the people being attacked are European and not brown or South East Asian commies.
It has nothing to do with race. Its primary down to geopolitics and the location of Ukraine vis-a-vis Europe. If Putin were to take Ukraine, he would continue agitating into eastern Europe which would result in another cold war scenario, or worse. That is obviously going to take precedence over some far away, geopolitically less relevant conflict on another continent.