Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I understand 100% some of the letters. If my country did what russia did, i would not support the war and i would be pissed with my political leaders, but once there, losing the war without negotiations, would mean paying reparations, economic destruction and conditions difficult to recover from 1 or 2 generations, meaning that my future life and my family's would be bleak. Therefore, understandibly selfishly, for them losing is not an option

The Firestarter

I understand 100% some of the letters. If my country did what russia did, i would not support the war and i would be pissed with my political leaders, but once there, losing the war without negotiations, would mean paying reparations, economic destruction and conditions difficult to recover from 1 or 2 generations, meaning that my future life and my family's would be bleak. Therefore, understandibly selfishly, for them losing is not an option
What does that even mean? It's not like if they occupy Ukraine the sanctions will be suddenly lifted . Maybe if it happened within three days , but now its impossible.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
What does that even mean? It's not like if they occupy Ukraine the sanctions will be suddenly lifted . Maybe if it happened within three days , but now its impossible.
Thats the negotiation part. Complelete defeat of russia will come with enourmous consequences for the population. I would not like to be in their skin

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This would make sense if not for the unfortunate fact that Putin has been grooming the Russian population with nationalist propaganda for 23 years now, most intensely over the past decade where independent voices have been gradually removed in favor of hardcore propagandists. At some point, its should be expected that this would radicalize a large swath of the public, at least large enough to turn the other cheek if he invaded Ukraine.

The Firestarter

Thats the negotiation part. Complelete defeat of russia will come with enourmous consequences for the population. I would not like to be in their skin
Complete defeat means Russia getting occupied . That's obviously not happening like ever.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This would make sense if not for the unfortunate fact that Putin has been grooming the Russian population with nationalist propaganda for 23 years now, most intensely over the past decade where independent voices have been gradually removed in favor of hardcore propagandists. At some point, its should be expected that this would radicalize a large swath of the public, at least large enough to turn the other cheek if he invaded Ukraine.
I think you've missed a point a bit or maybe you understandably don't understand what Meduza is and who is its average reader.

To be fair the reception of this material on Meduza's own social media pages has been pretty unilateral.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Complete defeat means Russia getting occupied . That's obviously not happening like ever.
Well sure, but losing completely the war without negotiations and having a way out, would be close enough and the only worst real possibility (you know, nukes and so prevent anyone to invade them) for the future of russians

Saying that as i will not suffer it personally and overall, i believe that it would be long term the best for russians and for the world as an example to not do this shit again , i hope that ukraine kicks them out without mercy

Akshay

Staff
Well sure, but losing completely the war without negotiations and having a way out, would be close enough and the only worst real possibility (you know, nukes and so prevent anyone to invade them) for the future of russians

Saying that as i will not suffer it personally and overall, i believe that it would be long term the best for russians and for the world as an example to not do this shit again , i hope that ukraine kicks them out without mercy
If Russia was ready to negotiate now, I think Ukraine would accept the return of their territory without economic reparations or war crime tribunals. And probably the west would agree to lifting sanctions as well.

It would be in Russia's best interests - it's just not in Putin's.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
If Russia was ready to negotiate now, I think Ukraine would accept the return of their territory without economic reparations or war crime tribunals. And probably the west would agree to lifting sanctions as well.

I know. The problem are the dicks in moscow that they dont accept and asks for unrealistic terms

We need an rvn

I don't think it's up to Ukraine with regards to the war tribunals (nor do I know who is thought to be honest). Innocent women, children and men tortured and raped for over a year and mass graves still being found, and probably will do for a while after the war finishes. There's no way some people in Russia won't be held accountable for this - whether it's the right people is again another matter.

Russia should snap their hands if what you proposed was offered but I sincerely hope it isn't and Russia is forced to pay reparations and be held accountable for the crimes committed.

Akshay

Staff
I don't think it's up to Ukraine with regards to the war tribunals (nor do I know who is thought to be honest). Innocent women, children and men tortured and raped for over a year and mass graves still being found, and probably will do for a while after the war finishes. There's no way some people in Russia won't be held accountable for this - whether it's the right people is again another matter.

Russia should snap their hands if what you proposed was offered but I sincerely hope it isn't and Russia is forced to pay reparations and be held accountable for the crimes committed.
Don't think Ukraine will get peace on better terms than this unless their counteroffensives continue to be as successful as last year's.

We would all like if people were held accountable for the horrible things that have been done, but I highly doubt they will be. Perhaps some of the POWs in Ukrainian custody but no one higher up than that.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't think Ukraine will get peace on better terms than this unless their counteroffensives continue to be as successful as last year's.

We would all like if people were held accountable for the horrible things that have been done, but I highly doubt they will be. Perhaps some of the POWs in Ukrainian custody but no one higher up than that.
Not sure Ukraine could make the ICC drop it's war crimes cases though now. Sanctions and reparations might be easier (you'd still need some token sums to be paid to show willing).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
More interesting is what is newly pledged:
- 64 Bandvagn 206
- 66 APC

The government doesn't specify what kind of APC, but media reports indicate that it will be the TPz Fuchs, probably a mix of variants that are in stock or can be shortly made/upgraded, up to the new Fuchs Evolution, Ukraine would be the first army to get that model.
And apparently those reports were wrong, instead of the Fuchs it will the the FFG APC, a license build of the USA's BATT UMG. The reasoning is pretty simple: For the same price you apparently can get 66 of those or 11 Fuchs. Rheinmetall really priced themselves out of this deal and on top of that Ukraine already operates BATT UMG so they have experience with this vehicle.

However considering that a Rheinmetall spokesperson claimed Ukraine to be the first customer of the Fuchs Evolution this was either a mistake on their behalf in expectance of winning this deal, or Ukraine will indeed also receive Fuchs APCs, but those don't appear on the government's overview yet.

Random funfact: It looks like FFG is the German company that profits the most from this war, while other like Rheinmetall do see some increased business, their business just skyrocketed and most of their accumulated inventory finally can be used (for those who don't know, a large part of FFGs business model is buying and refurbishing old military vehicles - that's why they for example have a triple-digit number of Leopard 1 based vehicles of different types that already are operating in Ukraine or will be sent there soon).

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Anyone know what the significance of the Russian prisoners thing with the insurgents in Belgorod is? Were they trying to capture the governor or something?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone know what the significance of the Russian prisoners thing with the insurgents in Belgorod is? Were they trying to capture the governor or something?
Frankly, I got no idea what the hell is going on in Belgorod. It doesn't seem to be covered by the major media where I live.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
More blatant disrespect from Wagner to the Russian military.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Saying this on Twitter will obviously have the opposite effect.
Which is exactly what they want. It will cause people to wildly speculate what could be going on so that any actual news might get lost in between.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Which is exactly what they want. It will cause people to wildly speculate what could be going on so that any actual news might get lost in between.
True. Whatever the Ukrainians are doing, it feels a bit like 4D chess in that it certainly isn't the predicted ordinary counteroffensive many thought.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
True. Whatever the Ukrainians are doing, it feels a bit like 4D chess in that it certainly isn't the predicted ordinary counteroffensive many thought.
Wonder if the Ukrainians have their own term for "maskirovka".

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Worrying Reports from a failed Ukraine counteroffensive in Donetsk, not much UA are saying but Russian MOd saying they’ve thwarted a big attack that’s completely failed. Killed 250 UA soldiers and showing pictures of lots of UA tanks and equipment burning. I hope it’s not true and should be Taken with a pinch of salt I guess.

RoyH1

Worrying Reports from a failed Ukraine counteroffensive in Donetsk, not much UA are saying but Russian MOd saying they’ve thwarted a big attack that’s completely failed. Killed 250 UA soldiers and showing pictures of lots of UA tanks and equipment burning. I hope it’s not true and should be Taken with a pinch of salt I guess.
The Russian authorities could come out and say that tomorrow the sun will rise due east and set due west and my response would be...let's wait and see. They're pathological liars on a nation/state level.

Rajma

:lol: russian MoD, really? As always it doesn’t show any video footage, or any other kind of visual proof of which there would plenty as of now if it was even remotely true. This sort of informational warfare will only intensify from Russia side with prepared old footage as the counteroffensive approaches, people need to be vigilant.

tomaldinho1

According to the same source they took Bakhmut last year...

Stookie

Nurse bell end
:lol: russian MoD, really? As always it doesn’t show any video footage, or any other kind of visual proof of which there would plenty as of now if it was even remotely true. This sort of informational warfare will only intensify from Russia side with prepared old footage as the counteroffensive approaches, people need to be vigilant.
According to the same source they took Bakhmut last year...
Yeah can’t believe anything they say, as I said should be taken with a pinch of salt. I hope it’s all a feint by the UA. But something is going on there.

Real Name

Will probably stage few tanks in unnatural positions claiming those are the tanks they destroyed and thus stopped the offensive.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Saying this on Twitter will obviously have the opposite effect.
It’s already had a positive effect apparently. According to someone on Reddit, so take it with a pinch of salt, Russia have been on high alert multiple times because of it, giving Ukraine intel on how they’ll react for the real offensive. Also means Russia won’t know when it’s really happening so may end up lax when it does.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah can’t believe anything they say, as I said should be taken with a pinch of salt. I hope it’s all a feint by the UA. But something is going on there.
It is very likely that Ukraine performs some reconnaissance in force operations, the nature of these is that they retreat once they hit heavy resistance.

It is quite probable that Russia will claim that such operations are failed offensives, but that doesn't mean that they ever were meant as such. And of course they always claim lots of Ukrainian losses, that usually can't be true anyways.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Will probably stage few tanks in unnatural positions claiming those are the tanks they destroyed and thus stopped the offensive.
Yup. Last year they showed a picture of a tank stuck in mud as proof they were getting Ukrainians to abandon their tanks. Turned out it was a picture of a Danish tank which had gotten stuck during Danish military exercises in Denmark in the past. It was just a convenient picture for them.