Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Pretty obvious if nations want that grain out of Ukraine and to countries in need. For all of those US-led (with the British, French and even German present) military exercises we have seen over the years at China's doorstep to enforce freedom of navigation, one would be right to expect those to be put into good use in the Black Sea.
The problem is that nobody but Russia has subs in the Black Sea. Turkey wouldn't allow even NATO subs to enter based on the Montreux Convention. The US couldn't put a single aircraft carrier in the Black Sea and could, at most, put maybe 2-3 destroyers/cruisers if Turkey hadn't closed the strait for military traffic because of the war. The only way I could see Turkey letting in NATO ships would be if they themselves were at risk of running out of grain, which they won't be because there are many poorer nations that will suffer first.

nimic

something nice
Scout
How many European politicians are being paid by Russia? Today. Perhaps as members at the board of various Russian companies.

Has anyone investigated this? It would be interesting if we had a list of the most prominent European politicians receiving Russian money, and of course a summary of their positions after Russia invaded Ukraine. What do those politicians believe about Ukraine today? Journalists should ask them, because these people have defined the European stance during the past 20 years. It is not enough to just say "mistakes were made", we should find out more details.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ed-of-office-for-not-cutting-ties-with-russia

Gerhard Schröder to be stripped of privileges for not cutting ties with Russia

Former German chancellor, who holds positions at Rosneft and Nord Stream, will lose staff and office

The former German chancellor Gerhard Schröder will lose some of his post-office privileges after failing to cut his links with Russian energy companies over the Ukraine war, the Bundestag’s budgetary committee has decided.

Schröder, who was German head of government from 1998 until 2005, will be stripped of his office and staff, which cost about 419,000 euros (£354,500) in taxpayers’ money in 2021.

The motion, which was passed on Thursday afternoon with support from Schröder’s own Social Democratic party (SPD), the Greens, and the Free Democratic party (FDP), does not name the politician’s Kremlin connections or stance on the Ukraine war, most likely to avoid legal challenges.

Instead, the motion argues that the former leader no longer fulfils any continuing obligation as a statesperson and therefore does not require an office and staff to do so.

The main opposition party, the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), backed the move even though it had also called on the government to cut the ex-chancellor’s pension, equivalent to an annual salary of about 100,000 euros.

Schröder will keep his pension payments as well as his security detail.

The four employees who used to work at Schröder’s office, located almost directly opposite the Russian embassy on the Unter den Linden boulevard in Berlin, already resigned of their own accord in early March, after their boss had showed no intention of stepping down from his boardroom roles at Russian oil company Rosneft and pipeline company Nord Stream.

The Bundestag budgetary committee’s vote comes just hours after the European parliament urged the commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, to impose sanctions against Schröder because of his ties to the Kremlin.

The EU legislature passed a resolution on Thursday that said sanctions after the invasion of Ukraine should be extended “to the European members of the boards of major Russian companies and to politicians who continue to receive Russian money”.

As well as the German politician, the motion indirectly addresses former Austrian foreign minister Karin Kneissl, a supervisory board member at Rosneft who danced with Vladimir Putin at her own wedding in 2018.

Schröder’s close personal friendship with Putin has come under heavy criticism after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on 24 February, and the SPD leadership has called on the 78-year-old to hand in his party membership.

The Hanover-based politician has come across as unrepentant, however. “I don’t do mea culpa,” Schröder told the New York Times in April. “It’s not my thing.”
Don't think we're supposed to copy full articles on the Caf.

Tibs

What is Russia's aim now?

I thought/hoped once they took the steelworks they'd claim those areas forever and call it a day...but apparently not?

mckenzie79

What is Russia's aim now?

I thought/hoped once they took the steelworks they'd claim those areas forever and call it a day...but apparently not?
Make no mistake, this area will.be retaken in the coming months. The Azov fighters are heroes, Ukraine will take this area back no matter what, its iconic.. This war won't end until its reclaimed, not that its been conqured yet, unless I've missed something?

Tibs

Make no mistake, this area will.be retaken in the coming months. The Azov fighters are heroes, Ukraine will take this area back no matter what, its iconic.. This war won't end until its reclaimed, not that its been conqured yet, unless I've missed something?
Aren't they the Nazi's Putin goes on about?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This is a tweet with a single like, that has nothing to do with the war and seems to be from some pretty random Argentinian guy. Are you continously scanning the hashtags for this stuff?
It's a joke ... not everything has to be taken so seriously.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Aren't they the Nazi's Putin goes on about?
That's the Azov Battalion, which in fairness was incorporated into the resistance, who are still fighting along side Ukrainian army
Putin calls them Nazis but it's quite an unfitting description for them at the moment, although it's not a completely baseless accusation. They've had some quite extreme members, including their founder, in 2014 but they've changed a lot since then. They are, for the most part, Ukrainian nationalists (not Nazis though) and generally they share quite conservative political views (including being in a vocal opposition of LGBT+), which is why they weren't widely popular even in Ukraine itself before the 24th of February 2022...

But after what they did at Mariupol, tying down a significant part of Russian offensive forces in an ultimately pointless fight for months, allowing other Ukrainian forces to regroup, withstand the original offensive and even launch a reasonably counter-offensive, they are, unquestionably, heroes in the eyes of all of Ukrainians.

And Azov Battalion is now a part of the Ukrainian military (internal forces) btw, they're not independent anymore.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I want you to be right but can you explain why you’re so sure? Ukraine has largely struggled to retake territory other than in situations where the Russians themselves have withdrawn.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I want you to be right but can you explain why you’re so sure? Ukraine has largely struggled to retake territory other than in situations where the Russians themselves have withdrawn.
I think there's a growing sentiment the Ukrainians are on the cusp of turning the tables on the Russians on all fronts, which means Moscow will eventually run out of manpower and weapons at a time when the Ukrainian side not only have the morale and momentum, but are also getting armed to the gills with sophisticated NATO weapons that are more advanced than anything the Russians have available to mitigate them. So, at some point fairly soon, we are likely to see a tipping point moment where the Russians collapse and the Ukrainians quickly retake all lost territory and perhaps even more. This is of course assuming Putin doesn't use WMDs or similar weapons, which doesn't appear likely at the moment.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The gamification of war is reaching new levels. How far away are we from Philip K. Dick's "Time out of Joint" scenario, I wonder?
The emergence of drones has been a game changer in recent years. They will have to rewrite counterinsurgency war-fighting doctrine to incorporate drones into future strategies now.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I think there's a growing sentiment the Ukrainians are on the cusp of turning the tables on the Russians on all fronts, which means Moscow will eventually run out of manpower and weapons at a time when the Ukrainian side not only have the morale and momentum, but are also getting armed to the gills with sophisticated NATO weapons that are more advanced than anything the Russians have available to mitigate them. So, at some point fairly soon, we are likely to see a tipping point moment where the Russians collapse and the Ukrainians quickly retake all lost territory and perhaps even more. This is of course assuming Putin doesn't use WMDs or similar weapons, which doesn't appear likely at the moment.
I really hope you’re right but I wouldn’t say I’m confident of that just yet. Not least because it’s far harder to dislodge an established forced dug in around a city than it is to defend the same city from attack.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I really hope you’re right but I wouldn’t say I’m confident of that just yet. Not least because it’s far harder to dislodge an established forced dug in around a city than it is to defend the same city from attack.
I agree, although in this case the Ukrainians have the advantage of the population of these cities being on their side and doing their bit to subvert the Russians from within. The real test will be how the Ukrainians fare in retaking areas like Kherson, Melitopol, and the like, since the Russians seem to be much better organized using Crimea as a staging point in the south than they were in using Belgorod in the east or Belarus in the north. If the Ukrainians manage to retake southern areas with little resistance then that would put Crimea back in play imo.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I agree, although in this case the Ukrainians have the advantage of the population of these cities being on their side and doing their bit to subvert the Russians from within. The real test will be how the Ukrainians fare in retaking areas like Kherson, Melitopol, and the like, since the Russians seem to be much better organized using Crimea as a staging point in the south than they were in using Belgorod in the east or Belarus in the north. If the Ukrainians manage to retake southern areas with little resistance then that would put Crimea back in play imo.
Totally agree and as I say I hope you’re right. The idea of Crimea being somehow in play is testament to how well Ukraine is fighting- I wouldn’t have predicted that in a million years. To me, Kherson and Melitoplol are more likely, but even if it’s just one or both of those two then that would be an absolutely huge victory given the relative strengths (on paper at least) of the two armies.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The gamification of war is reaching new levels. How far away are we from Philip K. Dick's "Time out of Joint" scenario, I wonder?
Have you read the sequel "Joint out of Time"? It's about the most alien high ever.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I don't see Ukraine taking back Crimea whatever happens. It's hugely important to Russia in political terms (even the jailed opposition leader Navalny is not in favour of giving up Crimea), which means they would throw everything they have in its defence, even if it meant stripping all their troops out Kaliningrad and elsewhere.