Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

neverdie

STOP THE AGGRESSION AND PROTECT CIVILIANS IN UKRAINE

Right now, people in Ukraine are facing a catastrophic human rights crisis. People are dying, including children, and many thousands of lives are at risk. Take action to demand that the Russian authorities stop this act of aggression and protect civilians now.

As the war rages on following Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, we have documented a pattern of crimes committed by Russian forces, including unlawful attacks, wilful killings of civilians, torture, and extrajudicial executions. Take action to demand that the Russian authorities stop this act of aggression and systemic attacks on civilians now.

At 5am on the 24 February, people across Ukraine woke to the news that their country was being invaded by the Russian military. In the middle of the night, Russian tanks rolled into the country and the military attacked from multiple directions.

As the war rages on, the sheer scale of the human rights violations and war crimes is exposed with every passing day. Entire neighbourhoods have been destroyed in places like Borodyanka, through disproportionate and indiscriminate attacks, leaving thousands of people homeless. In towns like Bucha, Andriivka, Zdvyzhivka and Vorzel, our researchers collected evidence and testimony of unlawful killings, including apparent extrajudicial executions. Some victims had their hands tied behind their back, others showed signs of torture. Convoys of civilians fleeing with their children were fired upon.

Russia’s decision to use force against another state without any legal justification has unleashed a catastrophic human rights crisis on the people of Ukraine. It is also having devastating implications on the human rights of many far beyond Ukraine, affecting global food chains and driving high energy prices around the world. The Russian Federation must stop this act of aggression against Ukraine and end the pattern of war crimes. Those responsible for atrocities must be held to account in fair trials. We must use our power in numbers to call for this to stop.
Sign the petition to President Vladimir Putin and demand that Russia stops this act of aggression and systemic attacks on civilians now.

** Your full name, email address and location will not be disclosed to the recipient of the petition.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/petition/russia-stop-the-aggression-and-attacks-on-civilians-in-ukraine/

some previous investigations and reports

again, is this the organization you want to call an "arm of the russian state"? the one that has been criticizing and charging russia with warcrimes since february?

Rajma

some previous investigations and reports

again, is this the organization you want to call an "arm of the russian state"? the one that has been criticizing and charging russia with warcrimes since february?
It doesn’t change the fact that it makes their most recent publication basically worthless from actual content value perspective yet it creates a lot of damage. For the Russian propaganda you only need one report anyway, money well spent. Either people working there are genuinely stupid for them to be relying on information from filtration camps or from Russian occupied territories in general under full FSB control or are simply corrupt. Both are equally bad in my book.

Last edited:

neverdie

It doesn’t change the fact that it makes their most recent publication basically worthless from actual content value perspective yet it creates a lot of damage. For the Russian propaganda you only need one report anyway, money well spent.

they aren't russian propaganda. it's just baseless, childish, and pointless to continue that narrative with all the evidence given to the contrary including some on the last page. will the russians use the report of ukrainian wrongdoing the same as the israelis amplified the report of hamas wrongdoing? yes. does it mean the reports are propaganda? no. i see more reputational damage being done by the ukrainian narrative that wants to paint amnesty as propagandists. they should just refute the report as they have and move on.

Rajma

they aren't russian propaganda. it's just baseless, childish, and pointless to continue that narrative with all the evidence given to the contrary including some on the last page. will the russians use the report of ukrainian wrongdoing the same as the israelis amplified the report of hamas wrongdoing? yes. does it mean the reports are propaganda? no.
Ok, they are highly stupid people then if they decided to press ahead with report based on claims from occupied places under the guidance of pseudo journalist or activists (fsb) in filtration camps? Happy?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That guy is talking a lot sense,
they should have published 10 thousand reports on Russia atrocities before committing one to Ukraine for the ratio to be accurate with respect to endangering civilians. I’m not sure it’s a stretch to believe they’re being the influenced by the agents from Israeli or Russian securities services.
Israeli security services? Did you notice that Amnesty published a report where they called Israel's policy towards Arabs and Palestinians apartheid? And the outrage that caused among defenders of the state of Israel? And now you're suggesting they're in Israel's pocket? Wow.

I don't think I need to answer to the rest, this shows you what you're missing regarding Amnesty. (Who I'm not claiming are faultless. I just don't think their faults come from a pro-Russian bias.)

Simbo

Your beating a dead horse now, apart from a few initial knee-jerk reactions, I don't think anyone is suggesting Amnesty is an "arm of the russian state".

However, do you think Russia doesn't at least try to infiltrate and manipulate organisations such as this?

Simbo

Actually in Austria, not Germany.
Ironically rubbing 'free speech' in the faces of her fellow Russians who can't do this kind of thing at home, because of actual fascism.

neverdie

Your beating a dead horse now, apart from a few initial knee-jerk reactions, I don't think anyone is suggesting Amnesty is an "arm of the russian state".

However, do you think Russia doesn't at least try to infiltrate and manipulate organisations such as this?
the poster linked to a tweet that claimed exactly that. he edited it out though. otherwise i agree.

maybe. perhaps all states see value in it? all i know is all states condemn and praise these organisations selectively, whenever it fits their agenda.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ironically rubbing 'free speech' in the faces of her fellow Russians who can't do this kind of thing at home, because of actual fascism.

She's toast. Only a matter of time before the internet geolocate and hound her into oblivion.

RedDevilQuebecois

She better hope to not be in a Martin Scorcese movie because there is always that scene when a random idiot says something wrong and ends up earning quite the beating from the angry protagonist. The random idiot here is that woman.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I still cannot believe there are reports of Russia mining a nuclear power plant.
And are actively using it as a base of operations (if I haven't misunderstood that).

I wonder how the soldiers operating from there are feeling about it. It must be so scary to be conducting war right out of a freakin' nuclear plant!

Carolina Red

Staff
And are actively using it as a base of operations (if I haven't misunderstood that).

I wonder how the soldiers operating from there are feeling about it. It must be so scary to be conducting war right out of a freakin' nuclear plant!
I mean, the ones at Chernobyl dug trenches, so who knows?

frostbite

Nobody cares about them.

That's the huge difference between any Western army and the Russian army. If any Western army used its soldiers the way the Russians do, we'd have a revolution back home. The Russians simply don't care.

(And no, I don't believe that "they don't know". I believe "they don't want to know". )

Rajma

I think it has been pretty evident for some time now that the US are holding off from supporting Ukraine too much beyond the means necessary for the stalemate and not Ukrainian offensive. Everyone knows if US really would have gone hard with the military support the conclusion would have been long forgone. I’m really thankful that they stood for Ukraine when European leaders have thrown them under the bus, hopefully, Biden and leadership can still wake up and understand that Putin is more dangerous when he smells weaknesses.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Jesus fecking Christ. How did they not threw her off the bridge right there.

harms

Staff
Obviously he has the right to say anything he wants but that's such a stupid argument. I thought that we've already went past this phase at the very beginning of the war & Zelensky himself openly spoke against it, and yet here we are again — with the likes of Finland, Estonia joining the call.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Washington Post, Zelensky said that “the most important sanctions are to close the borders — because the Russians are taking away someone else’s land.” He said Russians should “live in their own world until they change their philosophy.”

Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin told reporters Monday that she believes issuing tourist visas to Russians should be restricted and called for a European Union-wide ban.
Some critics have argued that banning all Russians would unfairly impact those who have left their country because they disagree with President Vladimir Putin’s government and his decision to attack Ukraine.
Zelensky said such distinctions don’t matter: “Whichever kind of Russian … make them go to Russia.”
“They’ll understand then,” he said. “They’ll say, ‘This [war] has nothing to do with us. The whole population can’t be held responsible, can it?’ It can. The population picked this government and they’re not fighting it, not arguing with it, not shouting at it.”

“Don’t you want this isolation?” Zelensky added, speaking as if he were addressing Russians directly. “You’re telling the whole world that it must live by your rules. Then go and live there. This is the only way to influence Putin.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/08/ukraine-zelensky-interview-ban-russian-travelers/

Stopping Russians from leaving the country benefits only Putin, for whom the full isolation of his people from the West and its influence is the ideal scenario. People who oppose him will get imprisoned, independent journalists won't be able to provide an alternative point of view to a Russian-speaking audience etc.

I keep thinking of Walter Benjamin, who had killed himself because Spain refused to let him through to U.S. and threatened to return him to Nazi-occupied France. On the next day all the people from his group were let through (most likely because of his suicide), yet we had lost one of the most brilliant minds of the XXth century. And the plethora of German internationals that had fled the Third Reich only to continue to fight with Hitler and his regime until the end of the war (like Thomas Mann with his radio addresses). Nah, the Allies should've sent them back to Germany to overthrow Hitler with sticks and stones.

massi83

Obviously he has the right to say anything he wants but that's such a stupid argument. I thought that we've already went past this phase at the very beginning of the war & Zelensky himself openly spoke against it, and yet here we are again — with the likes of Finland, Estonia joining the call.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/08/ukraine-zelensky-interview-ban-russian-travelers/

Stopping Russians from leaving the country benefits only Putin, for whom the full isolation of his people from the West and its influence is the ideal scenario. People who oppose him will get imprisoned, independent journalists won't be able to provide an alternative point of view to a Russian-speaking audience etc.

I keep thinking of Walter Benjamin, who had killed himself because Spain refused to let him through to U.S. and threatened to return him to Nazi-occupied France. On the next day all the people from his group were let through (most likely because of his suicide), yet we had lost one of the most brilliant minds of the XXth century. And the plethora of German internationals that had fled the Third Reich only to continue to fight with Hitler and his regime until the end of the war (like Thomas Mann with his radio addresses). Nah, the Allies should've sent them back to Germany to overthrow Hitler with sticks and stones.
I'm pretty indifferent about this, but what is the benefit of letting Russians pass through Finland and have a holiday in Italy/France? Pretty much none of the people crossing the border at the moment are people looking to move out of Russia.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I kind of agree with this. If you can't speak your mind in Russia in opposition to the war without risking 7 years I prison, I don't see the point of not allowing them into western countries.

harms

Staff
I'm pretty indifferent about this, but what is the benefit of letting Russians pass through Finland and have a holiday in Italy/France? Pretty much none of the people crossing the border at the moment are people looking to move out of Russia.
The second part of your statement simply isn't true.

As for those Russians who go on holidays? Generally I couldn't care less about those but stopping them from doing so also doesn't influence the war or Europe's security in any way (if it does and I just don't see it, I'm open to listen to contrary opinions).

the hea

The airbase is located 200km behind the front lines and well beyond the striking range of Gmlrs or Tochka-u rockets.

Last edited:

massi83

The second part of your statement simply isn't true.

As for those Russians who go on holidays? Generally I couldn't care less about those but stopping them from doing so also doesn't influence the war or Europe's security in any way (if it does and I just don't see it, I'm open to listen to contrary opinions).
Percentage-wise it is absolutely true. On absolute numbers it is probably in the hundreds, so depends on definition. It has been over 5 months, most people who wanted to move have done so or at least applied for the visa already, doubt they will be cancelling existing ones. And it isn't like it would be forever or that there are no other ways to get out of Russia.

Simbo

2nd strike today outside the range of anything we know Ukraine has, or these HARM missiles that have just been delivered. Could be sabotage I suppose.

Simbo

Yeh this ain't sabotage. If you look at google maps, the plane parking spots are spread out accross a massive ring road. Looks like they've covered most of it though. This place is done for.

the hea

2nd strike today outside the range of anything we know Ukraine has, or these HARM missiles that have just been delivered. Could be sabotage I suppose.
Although it is not what they are inteded for, the more modern versions of HARM missiles could at least in theory be used for this. They have been fitted with GPS recivers to be able to target radars that are switching off so they have navigation capabilities to strike regular ground targets.

Simbo

Although it is not what they are inteded for, the more modern versions of HARM missiles could at least in theory be used for this. They have been fitted with GPS recivers to be able to target radars that are switching off so they have navigation capabilities to strike regular ground targets.
AT 200km+ range? If fighter launched I suppose they could have approached from the west over the sea if there are is no Russian Nazy operating there now.

the hea

Last edited:

Simbo

FrenchRed

Didn’t end Well. Booking.com canceled all her reservations, now there’s crocodile tears on Telegram.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Doesn't Russia have extensive missile defence systems that should stop this kind of attack happening? It seems like multiple rockets got through. If this war is seen in the wider context of Nato weaponry vs Russian defence I'd imagine there are a few worried generals in Putin's army at the moment.