Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

NotThatSoph

I don't get how someone can get so upset by the music choice of a propaganda video that doesn't show any crimes or anything particularly upsetting in it that they are willing to write this many words in the subject. What does that say about us as a society?
I don't know what it says about society, I didn't know I was so upset, and I didn't know it was about the music choice.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
She has a time machine? That is after her comment.

I always thought Hectic would be the one to invent it.
I don't know what you mean. The poster replies its okay to celebrate the death of Russian civilians when it's going to happen.

Simbo

Well I for one need some morale boosting after reading the last few pages of this thread.

More meme's please.

massi83

I don't know what you mean. The poster replies its okay to celebrate the death of Russian civilians when it's going to happen.
And NTS's post happens before that.

Obviously that random poster should be banned.

neverdie

Really does. We are in the loop. Someone can't stop talking about Iraq and the US, someone creating their stories in the head about people celebrating the deaths of Russian civilians ("future civilians potentially dying because no one has died yet"), a few others who cannot handle seeing a random video which happens to show 5 seconds of some explosions of a military base in the distance while people are sunbathing basically on the frontlines of the biggest military conflict in decades, and then you have a few like me who are wasting their time here replying to those. Need a reset.
the thread is fine. if people want to question the "entertainment" value of memes outside of ukraine where it serves a different purpose, they're entitled to do it. it's not off topic so a call for maintenance is just a call for censorship of things you don't like. but i think the discussion about war as entertainment has been had and is probably exhausted by now so don't see any need for a reset.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
a few others who cannot handle seeing a random video which happens to show 5 seconds of some explosions of a military base in the distance while people are sunbathing
Mate, I gave my opinion on the video. I didn't even quote or attack anyone, I literally gave my opinion. Others replied to my post and it went from there. "cannot handle seeing a random video" is a really bizarre characterization of the point I've been making.

dove

the thread is fine. if people want to question the "entertainment" value of memes outside of ukraine where it serves a different purpose, they're entitled to do it. it's not off topic so a call for maintenance is just a call for censorship of things you don't like. but i think the discussion about war as entertainment has been had and is probably exhausted by now so don't see any need for a reset.
Didn't call for any censorship, by reset I meant move on because we keep going in circles talking about same things over and over again. Here, discuss that:

Edit: crap, sorry, only realised it has some music after I posted. I don't understand the lyrics but I hope it won't offend anyone.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'm very well aware of all the civilian deaths, and the seemingly endless line of Russian war crimes. Everyone (with one exception) in this thread is. If people were posting memes about those I'm sure people would object, and if they didn't I would.

At no point was that user's stance implied to stand for the rest of the thread. Not only that, the topic we're talking isn't even close to cover people's overall view on the conflict, it's about one small part of it. If you've actually read the comments over the last pages there's no reasonable way for you to interpret it like that, and you're a very reasonable person.
No I wasn't accusing you of doing that, or anything, but another poster. Nothing you have written or even implied has been unreasonable.

Anyway, perhaps a lesson for me to use the ignore function and not post when annoyed.

MoskvaRed

FFS. Both Eddie Dempsey and Mick Lynch can feck right off.

That’s disappointing - I honestly though Mick Lynch was more intelligent than an idiot like Corbyn., and we badly need a reasonable voice for unions In these dark times. The problem is that he may know about train driver pay and the RPI but he knows no more about modern Russia than about the dark side of the moon.

neverdie

not the smartest move to reproduce western commentariat consensus prior to the war on lynch's behalf even though he did condemn the invasion. doing that now means you're spreading kremlin consensus these days. understandable but lynch would have been better off avoiding the issue because it's a wedge designed, in certain circumstances, to divide people external to the conflict.

dove

Work is ongoing in Mariupol Philharmonic to build the cages for Azov's PoW to hold the sham trials as some kind of sick show, predicted to happen on 24th of August, Independence day of Ukraine. I don't know how such backward countries can be part of UN but here we are.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Work is ongoing in Mariupol Philharmonic to build the cages for Azov's PoW to hold the sham trials as some kind of sick show, predicted to happen on 24th of August, Independence day of Ukraine. I don't know how such backward countries can be part of UN but here we are.
How many azov fighters do they have?

The Firestarter

The grotesque "trial" that will unfold will only harm Russia PR wise but also these satellites that nobody gives a shit about anyway.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It’s telling that not a single sanction has caused so much backlash from Kremlin affiliated parties as suggested blanket visa ban. What’s the point all that cash in the ruling circles and elites if their families can’t spend it in Europe. That alone tells this is a right initiative and the door should be left open for asylum seekers that are legitimately running away from the being prosecuted by the regime. I don’t like it because there will be a small minority that shouldn’t be impacted by it given but think it’s a necessary measure at this point to change the mood in the largest cities. Basically, while the whole army is in the Ukraine there might not be a better time for protests to begin. Let them know it’s a temporary measure until Putin is removed and soldiers have left the Ukraine.
Is it? The rhetoric of Russian officials hasn't changed, they've been accusing the west of rusophobia, nazism, cancel culture etc. in response to pretty much every sanction.

There have been a bigger backlash than usual because this is probably the first sanction that threatens tens if not hundreds of thousands of Russian that have fled the country during the past few months (especially with Zelensky saying that every Russian needs to be sent back to Russia, which is a bit weird since he asked Russians to leave Russia if they can just in March, I believe). The original banking sanctions have affected them but the intent was clear and people understood that it's obviously a hit on the Russian economy with people being a collateral damage. This visa ban doesn't serve any purpose if we're talking about ending the war — it makes the lives of those who try to leave Russia even more difficult and it helps to boost the ratings of European politicians, that's about it.

edit: just glanced through the article on the previous page and it repeats my argument almost word for word!
The collective punishment element is collateral damage, not the main point. A ban on tourist visas, on the other hand, does nothing to undermine the Putin’s war economy but directly and explicitly punishes Russians for the crime of being Russian

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Is it? The rhetoric of Russian officials hasn't changed, they've been accusing the west of rusophobia, nazism, cancel culture etc. in response to pretty much every sanction.

There have been a bigger backlash than usual because this is probably the first sanction that threatens tens if not hundreds of thousands of Russian that have fled the country during the past few months (especially with Zelensky saying that every Russian needs to be sent back to Russia, which is a bit weird since he asked Russians to leave Russia if they can just in March, I believe). The original banking sanctions have affected them but the intent was clear and people understood that it's obviously a hit on the Russian economy with people being a collateral damage. This visa ban doesn't serve any purpose if we're talking about ending the war — it makes the lives of those who try to leave Russia even more difficult and it helps to boost the ratings of European politicians, that's about it.

edit: just glanced through the article on the previous page and it repeats my argument almost word for word!
Probably wouldn't be that hard to just ban everyone who is a wealthy corporate insider, let's do that. I think it's a good point that denying them access to Europe and the US would be appropriate as they're at war with democracy, allied to empire.

alexthelion

Finally! So we have someone saying dead russian civilians is ok. Thanks for proving my point.
I was replying to your part about orcs.

I don't consider civilians to be orcs, just the Russian/sof/occupied militias as so.

You need to try reading what the reply was to, not what you wanted it to be.

alexthelion

I think it's a bit weird that when a poster straight out comes out saying that it's ok to celebrate dead civilians as long as they're Russians (or evil corrupted monsters, which is what orcs canonically are), the reaction is to make fun of another poster who doesn't like the fact that a deadly war is serving as entertainment competing with Netflix and cat videos.

From quite a few posters I expect this, so it's maybe not weird in that sense, but from other posters it's very surprising.
There was a poster who confirmed it was okay to celebrate dead Russia civilians briefly before his post
If you mean me, no I wasn't.

read and learn.

dove

Lots of reports of Nova Kakhovka dam bridge being no longer usable for crossing, still awaiting a visual confirmation though. Would be quite significant if true because Russian troops would effectively be cut off North of the Dnipro river. It wasn't an easy task too because the bridge is essentially a dam and the only target to hit without destroying it and causing massive floods is the small canal used for the boats to pass so the strikes had to be very precise.

Gehrman

If you mean me, no I wasn't.

read and learn.
Could you explain then what you were saying yes to in post 34,206?

Edit; Ah I see you only considered "orcs" to be soldiers, but it's fairly unclear when the post you were responding to was about future civilian casualties.

Last edited:

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Interesting thread:
If they actually believe:

In the minds of most Russians this war is not about Ukraine It is a conflict with NATO and the USA. But it is not even about defeating or conquering USA. "In this clash, America needs to feel and recognise that Russia is its equal. Equal in military strength, but, most importantly, equal in its status as a major world power" 6/14

Can we send NATO in already and wipe them all out.

Gehrman

If they actually believe:

In the minds of most Russians this war is not about Ukraine It is a conflict with NATO and the USA. But it is not even about defeating or conquering USA. "In this clash, America needs to feel and recognise that Russia is its equal. Equal in military strength, but, most importantly, equal in its status as a major world power" 6/14

Can we send NATO in already and wipe them all out.
I mean without being too serious I kind of agree with you. If Russians already believe they are fighting the US and NATO why not give them the real deal?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I was replying to your part about orcs.

I don't consider civilians to be orcs, just the Russian/sof/occupied militias as so.

You need to try reading what the reply was to, not what you wanted it to be.
Then you misread my post before replying.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Russia warns US over diplomatic 'point of no return'
Russia has warned the US that potentially placing Russia on the US State Department’s list of state sponsors of terrorism could be a diplomatic “point of no return”, and trigger a total breakdown of relations between the two countries.

Alexander Darchiev, director of the Russian foreign ministry’s North American Department, was asked in an interview with Russian news agency TASS whether the possibility of lowering diplomatic relations between Moscow and Washington was being considered.

The diplomat said:

I would not like to go into hypothetical speculation about what is possible and what is not possible in the current turbulent situation, when westerners led by the United States have trampled on international law and absolute taboos in diplomatic practice

In this context, I would like to mention the legislative initiative currently being discussed in Congress to declare Russia a ‘country sponsor of terrorism’. If passed, it would mean that Washington would have to cross the point of no return, with the most serious collateral damage to bilateral diplomatic relations, up to their lowering or even breaking them off. The US side has been warned.
Any possible seizure of Russian assets by the US would completely destroy Moscow’s bilateral relations with Washington, Darchiev added.

We warn the Americans of the detrimental consequences of such actions that will permanently damage bilateral relations, which is neither in their nor in our interests.
Darchiev also said: “Americans are increasingly becoming more and more a direct party in the conflict.”

---

"Westerners led by the United States have trampled on international law and absolute taboos in diplomatic practice"

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
All the talk about the US already being involved directly is coming across a bit desperate now. Looks like sanctions and weapon deliveries are starting to bite.