Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

RedDevilQuebecois

Who would be behind something like this ? Certainly not the Ukrainians as they would gain nothing.
No, that is either a power struggle among Putin's underlings or a more open resistance against Putin's regime.

Things are set to get uglier before they improve in Russia.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I wonder if this has nothing to do with the war.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Lovely human being if that qoute is correct.

Gehrman

Well nothing is unanimous in Western nations, for everyone arguing for no fly zones there are others arguing against any weapons at all. Of course more should be done, but it’s impressive that the response has been as great as it actually has. I’m sure Putin was expecting a far bigger rift.

As for the standstill, I think it’s slowing down but people are generally impatient. It’s not exactly moving to a stalemate, as all (available, admittedly potentially bias) intelligence suggests the gradual degradation of the Russian army, while Ukraine is being constantly resupplied and troops being trained monthly by NATO. Yes more can come faster and Ukraine will constantly lobby for more, but to suggest their only getting enough for a standstill is incorrect in my opinion.
https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3605064-us-must-arm-ukraine-now-before-its-too-late/

dove

What are the odds they find nazi tshirts, Ukraine flag, framed picture of Zelensky, some fake Ukrainian passports and 3 copies of the sims 3 when they raid the suspect’s house?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Alexander Dugin’s daughter got blown up by a car bomb. He’s a top advisor to Putin.
Top advisor is certainly a wrong assessment of his role, they’re not in contact. But his ideas, albeit transformed a bit, were one of the foundations of Putin’s own ideology/understanding of geopolitics & history.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There’s a tonne of Dugin and daughter quotes on Reddit that make this pure karma. They were the worst of the worst and likely a reason this war has happened. They probably didn’t expect the horrors they wished for to arrive at their doorstep.

Gehrman

Strange if they went after dugins daughter rather than himself. In terms of priority. Whoever did this.

harms

Staff
Who would be behind something like this ? Certainly not the Ukrainians as they would gain nothing.
Dugin was supposed to be in that car, so he was most likely the target.

Ukrainians would get something from this — killing one of the people whose name is closely associated (with reason) with the idea of the “Russian World” would be an ideological win, plus if they’re able to execute hits near Moscow it’ll strike fear in Russian high-profile supporters of the war (look how different the strikes of whatever it was in Crimea were perceived in Russia). The question would, of course, be “why Dugin” as he’s not someone who actively participates in the war and whose death would be a blow to the army, but… an argument that I can think of is that Dugin may have been the best compromise between recognizability & lack of security, I’d imagine that blowing up some general or politician would be way harder.

All that said, I still don’t think that it’s been them. I have no idea why someone internally would want to kill him, but logistically it sounds way easier for, say, FSB to eliminate him rather then for a secret Ukrainian agent deep beyond the enemy line. The most logical explanation would be provocation — to blame Ukrainians for it in order to justify… mobilization perhaps? Or simply to keep public in high alert.

harms

Staff
Strange if they went after dugins daughter rather than himself. In terms of priority. Whoever did this.
By most reports Dugin was supposed to be in the car with her but switched cars last minute.

the hea

There is talk that he was supposed to be in the vehicle too but changed his mind in the last minute and took another car. He arrived at the scene just after the explosion.

harms

Staff
Lovely human being if that qoute is correct.

This quote isn’t in the video, at least, not fully — she says “these people… and they’re not even people anymore”.

The general sentiment is correct though, she was a horrific human being.

Carolina Red

Staff
Top advisor is certainly a wrong assessment of his role, they’re not in contact. But his ideas, albeit transformed a bit, were one of the foundations of Putin’s own ideology/understanding of geopolitics & history.
Do we even know if it was a bomb yet?

Edit: sorry cnn says it was a bomb.
Again, the guy said he couldn’t make out what the tweet was saying, so I re-wrote it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What's up with The Sims 3? :lol:
On one occasion the Russian secret service faked the discovery of Ukrainian agents.

Presumably someone followed orders to strictly and deliberately to sabotage and put Sims 3 there instead of 3 SIMs.