Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

buchansleftleg

The other reason Putin may be ready to just throw this ragtag bunch of drunk and disaffected into battle is to try and derail the counter offensive.

If these guys just mutiny / surrender en masse the Ukrainians may have 500,000 POW's suddenly appear on their doorstep.

Maybe the UN could setup some camps and deal with them, freeing up the Ukrainians to fight on.

The Firestarter

The other reason Putin may be ready to just throw this ragtag bunch of drunk and disaffected into battle is to try and derail the counter offensive.

If these guys just mutiny / surrender en masse the Ukrainians may have 500,000 POW's suddenly appear on their doorstep.

Maybe the UN could setup some camps and deal with them, freeing up the Ukrainians to fight on.
Yeah that's not it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
TIL: despite Finland being seen as the victors of their war against the Soviet Union in 1939, they actually signed over 9% of their territory in the peace deal.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Not sure they would have the visa for onward travel to Germany so yeah nice idea but needs some logistics and thought behind it
Wasn’t this conversation specifically about Germany providing visas (or at least allowing entry) specifically to Russians?
It’s odd that you went for a patronising reply rather than engaging. None of us know how easy or difficult it will be in practice, but let’s leave off with the attitude. We all want the same thing.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Wasn’t this conversation specifically about Germany providing visas (or at least allowing entry) specifically to Russians?
It’s odd that you went for a patronising reply rather than engaging. None of us know how easy or difficult it will be in practice, but let’s leave off with the attitude. We all want the same thing.
How will they provide visas... as I say nice idea but logistics issues kind of matter because I don't think people can queue up for a visa in Moscow without being rounded up and sent to the front line

Processesing centres in Finland/ Turkey... not sure how practical it us

I agree that providing a route out is a good idea but that kind of involves an actual route ... which I'm sure without being patronising you can coherently explain to me

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
How will they provide visas... as I say nice idea but logistics issues kind of matter because I don't think people can queue up for a visa in Moscow without being rounded up and sent to the front line

Processesing centres in Finland/ Turkey... not sure how practical it us

I agree that providing a route out is a good idea but that kind of involves an actual route ... which I'm sure without being patronising you can coherently explain to me
If Germany really is intent on providing visas or some other kind of permit to travel, then I’d guess it would be through German embassies potentially worldwide, but in reality mostly in countries close to Russia. During the revolutions of 1989 a huge amount of East Germans made it to the West not through the direct east/west Germany border, but by ‘holidaying’ in Czechoslovakia and Hungary, getting visas there, and travelling overland via Austria. If it happens in this case then I think it will be the same principle, just different interim countries. So I’m sure it’s feasible logistically, the big question for me is whether Germany really is willing to facilitate this in large numbers. For me, that’s the potential problem rather than logistics. I’ll believe that Germany is serious when I actually see it happening rather than when the idea is first mooted.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Everyone in the west should follow, also Israel looks pathetic in all this.
I believe there are more Russians in Israel than there are people originating from any other country. I’m sure there are other reasons too.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Everyone in the west should follow, also Israel looks pathetic in all this.
What have Israel done?

The Last i heard was that they had begun supplying weapons to Ukraine in response to Russia feeding the Iranian weapons industry.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
What have Israel done?

The Last i heard was that they had begun supplying weapons to Ukraine in response to Russia feeding the Iranian weapons industry.
Only just happened, no support before that.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I keep thinking Putin should be known as the "self declared president of Russia" rather than the "president of Russia".

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Wouldn’t the vast majority now just surrender? Im not exactly seeing many stories of Russians fighting to the last man in impossible circumstances during this war
Probably more just deserting.

the hea

What have Israel done?

I think the counter UAV systems from Israel where just rumors, nothing has been confirmed by either Israel or Ukraine.