Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

the hea

Better late than never? The EU nations were slow to act themselves and Germany initially supplied batches of helmets…
I don't think it's fair to say all EU nations where slow to act just because countries like Germany and France where dragging their feet.
The Baltic states, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia where the exact opposite and has been arming Ukraine since the begining, they have probably given more in comparion to their economic power than any other country, including the US and UK. All the Nordic countries sent their first weapon shipments only days after the invasion started and has continuously been delievering weapons and ammunition since.

The Firestarter

I don't think it's fair to say all EU nations where slow to act just because countries like Germany and France where dragging their feet.
The Baltic states, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia where the exact opposite and has been arming Ukraine since the begining, they have probably given more in comparion to their economic power than any other country, including the US and UK. All the Nordic countries sent their first weapon shipments only days after the invasion started and has continuously been delievering weapons and ammunition since.
This. People should stop equating EU with just France and Germany.

TheReligion

Abusive
This. People should stop equating EU with just France and Germany.
I completely agree, I think some just do it, because they are 2 biggest players in the EU now.
That’s fair enough. I’ll have it. France and Germany were poor but others did chip in after the invasion.

The Firestarter

That’s fair enough. I’ll have it. France and Germany were poor but others did chip in after the invasion.
I'd say Poland in particular did way way more than "chip in" compared to their GDP. Not in absolute terms because obviously US and UK have much bigger resources.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Better late than never? The EU nations were slow to act themselves and Germany initially supplied batches of helmets…
He asked, but yes late is usually better than never. Apparently those Iranian drones are a problem so let's hope the Israeli anti-drone tech is good.

Rajma

In russian telegram channel the word is that russian army is doing another gesture of goodwill by retreating from Lyman to avoid being cut off.

Last edited:

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Putting is obviously making sure these smaller nations never have any shout at independence ever again in the future. Even if they lose everything they gained in Ukraine, which I'm sure they will, they will have no trouble back home with tens, possibly hundreds of thousands Chehens, Tatars, Dagestanis dying for Russian cause. The population of these regions will take centuries to recover.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Russia appoints new deputy defense minister
From CNN's Katharina Krebs and Radina Gigova

Russia has replaced its deputy defense minister by appointing Col. Gen. Mikhail Mizintsev for the post, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement published Saturday.
"Colonel-General Mikhail Mizintsev has been appointed to the post of Deputy Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation, responsible for the logistics of the Armed Forces," according to the statement.
Mizintsev replaces the General of the Army Dmitry Bulgakov, who was relieved of his post due to a transfer to another job, according to the statement.
The Ukrainian military has said Mizintsev led the siege of the eastern Ukrainian port city of Mariupol.
Mizintsev also previously led Russia’s National Defense Management Center and headed the "Russian Joint Coordination Headquarters for Humanitarian Response in Ukraine," according to state news agency TASS.
Mizintsev was born in 1962 and graduated from the Kalinin Suvorov Military School in 1980, according to TASS. He was appointed chief of Russia’s National Defense Management Center in December 2014, according to TASS.

frostbite

Doesn’t exactly make sense. What would the guy get out of a fictitious marriage if he’s deployed and dies.
Sex and "family related leave days" while they are still alive? The majority of soldiers will not die, and perhaps married men get more leave days than unmarried? And if they die, the woman is paid for her services.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Putting is obviously making sure these smaller nations never have any shout at independence ever again in the future. Even if they lose everything they gained in Ukraine, which I'm sure they will, they will have no trouble back home with tens, possibly hundreds of thousands Chehens, Tatars, Dagestanis dying for Russian cause. The population of these regions will take centuries to recover.
That's clever though very evil. Zeihan predicted Russia would break up eventually as a result of this failed invasion, as they lose the power to force the regions to stay, but hard for that to happen when all the men are dead.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A cropped screenshot without any source? I wouldn’t be surprised if something like this was happening but the quality of such info doesn’t really justify any attention.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A cropped screenshot without any source? I wouldn’t be surprised if something like this was happening but the quality of such info doesn’t really justify any attention.
On top of which, Anton looks a bit too much like Ralf Rangnick to be taken seriously.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Doesn’t exactly make sense. What would the guy get out of a fictitious marriage if he’s deployed and dies.
I can only think he is paid, or gets some kind of benefit in order to agree to the marriage.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Seems the Ukrainians had a good day hunting along the front line near Kharkiv. Shot down four jets and five drones. Making riskier flights may be in response to the pressure the Russian army is under at Lyman.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This is...odd? You could interpret it as 40% don't care about Ukraine. Do they even want to be liberated.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Will be next to impossible given that money is short and time is tight.
He acknowledged that too in his last thread tweet.

Meanwhile, the oil embargo sets in in Dec/Feb, oil prices have been falling due to the cooling world economy, the ruble is strong, and Russia's recession is deepening. This will get interesting. 3/3

little.triangles

What is with all these great musicians (and Roger Waters) losing their heads in recent years?

Two of my favorite performers Van Morrison and Eric Clapton turned out to be covidiots, and now this guy continues to embarrass himself. I suppose Waters has always been a bit of a contrarian.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What is with all these great musicians (and Roger Waters) losing their heads in recent years?

Two of my favorite performers Van Morrison and Eric Clapton turned out to be covidiots, and now this guy continues to embarrass himself. I suppose Waters has always been a bit of a contrarian.
Waters appears to have lost his mind by turning excessively political in recent years.