Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

frostbite

From Niki Proshin, Sept 24:

"Partial mobilisation was announced in Russia. Many people gathered for a protest, many people are fleeing from Russia right now. This video I want to share some details of these events, and also share some personal feelings after observing the protests in Saint Petersburg."

Rajma

This drives me nuts as well, don’t prolong the suffering of Ukrainian for no good reason.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This is...odd? You could interpret it as 40% don't care about Ukraine. Do they even want to be liberated.

There’s nothing odd about it. They’re still under Russian rule, you can’t trust those basic sociological surveys in situations like that. People don’t know who’s asking them questions and a lot of them won’t risk a potential imprisonment for a random someone asking them questions on the street.

harms

Staff
What's going on with navalny? Is he still getting his messages out?
Yeah, from time to time. They send him to solitary on a regular basis & I think that they’re trying to set up another case against him, for extremism as he was arguing for the anti-war protests etc. not that it matters much, he’s only going to sit there until Putin is gone and he’s not getting out while Putin is at power.

Siorac

There’s nothing odd about it. They’re still under Russian rule, you can’t trust those basic sociological surveys in situations like that. People don’t know who’s asking them questions and a lot of them won’t risk a potential imprisonment for a random someone asking them questions on the street.
And this isn't even a basic survey. It's just the people they asked making estimates.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This drives me nuts as well, don’t prolong the suffering of Ukrainian for no good reason.
Sometimes you wonder if Nato is afraid of a cornered putin using chemical weapons and nukes if Russia are decisively defeated in Ukraine.

harms

Staff
Thanks Silvio...

It’s incredible how tone-deaf he is. I’m not even talking about his real position (he’s an old pal of Putin and is a corrupt politician with no principles, it’s not news), but about the timing and the wording of his statement. After 7 months of brutal genocidal war you go to the public with the notion of “he’s not that bad, actually” (he just wanted to overthrow a democratically-elected political regime in a neighboring country)?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It’s incredible how tone-deaf he is. I’m not even talking about his real position (he’s an old pal of Putin and is a corrupt politician with no principles, it’s not news), but about the timing and the wording of his statement. After 7 months of brutal genocidal war you go to the public with the notion of “he’s not that bad, actually” (he just wanted to overthrow a democratically-elected political regime in a neighboring country)?
Of course it's still bad if you want to do just that, but I don't think he is that far from the truth. To me everything about how the war went points to Putin really not wanting to wage this current war, but the Russian inability to pull this regime change off (and then using their existing systems with a little Russian support to slowly get rid of the idea of Ukraine existing) let it spiral towards this ongoing disaster.

harms

Staff
Of course it's still bad if you want to do just that, but I don't think he is that far from the truth. To me everything about how the war went points to Putin really not wanting to wage this current war, but the Russian inability to pull this regime change off (and then using their existing systems with a little Russian support to slowly get rid of the idea of Ukraine existing) let it spiral towards this ongoing disaster.
Oh, of course he’s right — Putin wanted a blitzkrieg that would’ve ended up with him installing his proxy as a Ukrainian president (someone like Medvedchuk) and Ukraine becoming another Belarus.

It’s not something that can or should be used as an excuse though, especially at this stage.

harms

Staff
Multiple sources claim that Russia will deny the option of leaving the country to men of conscription age at the 28th of September. Did something happen?

The Firestarter

Multiple sources claim that Russia will deny the option of leaving the country to men of conscription age at the 28th of September. Did something happen?
I mean the "referendums" finish and the lands are now Russian - therefore Russia is under attack and all justification for a complete mobilisation is there.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Sometimes you wonder if Nato is afraid of a cornered putin using chemical weapons and nukes if Russia are decisively defeated in Ukraine.
I've read that they are hesitant to provide Ukraine the means of decisive victory for that reason.

harms

Staff
I mean the "referendums" finish and the lands are now Russian - therefore Russia is under attack and all justification for a complete mobilisation is there.
Yeah, this logic is already kinda flawed since Ukrainian rockets already hit Belgorodskaya oblast' and Crimea that Russia already considers its own territory.

The mobilization is already full by the way, it's only partial in the meaningless words of politicians.

The Firestarter

Yeah, this logic is already kinda flawed since Ukrainian rockets already hit Belgorodskaya oblast' and Crimea that Russia already considers its own territory.

The mobilization is already full by the way, it's only partial in the meaningless words of politicians.
Everything is fecked up but that's what I think Putin will use for justification.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

Ignore if this is too personal. But I think you stated you weren't likely to be conscripted. Is this because you aren't of military age and what is the cut off as it looks like there are some men getting on into their 50s being turfed out. Best of luck either way.

harms

Staff
Ignore if this is too personal. But I think you stated you weren't likely to be conscripted. Is this because you aren't of military age and what is the cut off as it looks like there are some men getting on into their 50s being turfed out. Best of luck either way.
Due to the issues with my health my category (medical profile, I have a “Д“) reliefs me from conscription and military duty. Unless they decide to change the entire system, reevaluating different illnesses and their influence on conscript’s ability to serve, I’m relieved from any service altogether. Which is a remote possibility but I’d think that it’s too much of a hassle for an almost non-existent number of potential conscripts that they’ll be able to get that way.

Usually those who manage to legally evade mandatory military service get a different, lighter category (“B” or “Г“), that frees them up unless something drastic, like this war, happens.

dove

Even Russia Serbia won't recognise those referendums.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not sure if this one was posted already but the screams are terrifying.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Waters appears to have lost his mind by turning excessively political in recent years.
In recent years? He was political all his life, just only started showing it in his lyrics at The Dark Side of the Moon. I suppose it was more socioeconomic commentary until The Wall, but from The Final Cut onwards, it's firmly political as well. I can usually get along with his general points, but I think I very rarely agree on anything specific.
Pet Shop Boys - "Go West!"

Pink Floyd - "What about the West?"
Not Pink Floyd though, just Waters. This is what Pink Floyd (well, Gilmour, and I suppose also Mason) put out, early in the war:
I happened to see their website this week, they still have a ton of merch around this, with all proceedings going to Ukraine-oriented things.

(I was reading a book on Pink Floyd recently, so this is good timing. :D )
Two of my favorite performers Van Morrison and Eric Clapton turned out to be covidiots, and now this guy continues to embarrass himself. I suppose Waters has always been a bit of a contrarian.
That's putting it mildly! :lol:

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Would that be possible without declaring martial law?
Everything is possible in a country where you can get an anti-constitutional law through all the necessary instances in a day.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
What the hell Is this shit ….the way they grabbed the poor women, hope she’s alright.
I hope in the coming weeks/months these fecks get whats coming to them. Swarmed by a mob and beaten to a pulp would be just.

They are the absolute worst. How can they go home to their families and look them in the eye after spending their days oppressing/arresting innocent people.