Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

dove

I hope in the coming weeks/months these fecks get whats coming to them. Swarmed by a mob and beaten to a pulp would be just.

They are the absolute worst. How can they go home to their families and look them in the eye after spending their days oppressing/arresting innocent people.
They are most likely doing the same at home too so it's just business as usual.

Lemoor

There’s nothing odd about it. They’re still under Russian rule, you can’t trust those basic sociological surveys in situations like that. People don’t know who’s asking them questions and a lot of them won’t risk a potential imprisonment for a random someone asking them questions on the street.
Even if it was conducted in a perfect enviroment, asking random people what they think other people think is a horrible way of measuring public opinion.

frostbite

I hope in the coming weeks/months these fecks get whats coming to them. Swarmed by a mob and beaten to a pulp would be just.

They are the absolute worst. How can they go home to their families and look them in the eye after spending their days oppressing/arresting innocent people.
Unfortunately, even if Putin falls, nothing bad will happen to those police officers.

There is a long tradition in Russia. The Soviet Union was full of gulags, jailers, torturers, NKDV agents, corrupted police officers, etc. After the fall of the Soviet Union, almost none of them faced any consequences for their actions. (Actually many of them became the new russian state ... almost the same as the old russian state.)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Unfortunately, even if Putin falls, nothing bad will happen to those police officers.

There is a long tradition in Russia. The Soviet Union was full of gulags, jailers, torturers, NKDV agents, corrupted police officers, etc. After the fall of the Soviet Union, almost none of them faced any consequences for their actions. (Actually many of them became the new russian state ... almost the same as the old russian state.)
If we dare to dream that Putin isn't succeeded by a similar regime the complete overhaul of the entire siloviki infrastructure will be one of the biggest priorities.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not necessarily "new" or shocking info but good to see this happen nevertheless.

frostbite

If we dare to dream that Putin isn't succeeded by a similar regime the complete overhaul of the entire siloviki infrastructure will be one of the biggest priorities.
I hope you succeed! I hope that Russia becomes a democratic nation with solid democratic institutions. Like most countries in Europe.

Having said that, it is very hard for me to imagine this actually happening (although, I must admit I have a very limited knowledge of Russia). I still don't understand how in the 1990s all those thousands of torturers in the gulags faced no consequences. One has to face their past in order to fix their future. Even the best positive examples from the soviet era turned out sour for me. For example, in the 1980s I read almost all of Solzhenitsyn's books and I admired him, but later in the 1990s I was deeply disappointed by him... because it seemed to me that he basically hated the West (that helped him and saved his life) and he just wanted to create a Russian Empire again, not a communist one but one based on theocratic ideas from the 19th century. The West is corrupted, the West is the root of all Evil, the West is dying. These ideas are usually the basis for creating something much worse than what we have in the West, it just feeds autocrats like Putin. We had already seen the same thing happening in Iran after their 1979 revolution. So, even the best of Russia basically worked for creating something terrible.

Is there any reason to hope for something better now?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Situation in Dagestan more tense based on the footage. Wonder if the protests there will hold or fizzle out.

frostbite

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...0894f47d8a5464#block-63306f4d8f0894f47d8a5464

US to act 'decisively' if Russia uses nuclear weapon in Ukraine
Edward Helmore

The US and its allies will act “decisively” if Russia uses a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine, its national security adviser Jake Sullivan said on Sunday, reaffirming the Joe Biden White House’s previous response to mounting concerns that Vladimir Putin’s threats are in increased danger of being realised.

“We have communicated directly, privately and at very high levels to the Kremlin that any use of nuclear weapons will be met with catastrophic consequences for Russia, that the US and our allies will respond decisively, and we have been clear and specific about what that will entail,” Sullivan told CBS’s Face The Nation.

Sullivan said that the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, had been “waving around the nuclear card at various points through this conflict”, and it was a matter that Biden’s administration has “to take deadly seriously because it is a matter of paramount seriousness – the possible use of nuclear weapons for the first time since the second world war”.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...0894f47d8a5464#block-63306f4d8f0894f47d8a5464

Edward Helmore

The US and its allies will act “decisively” if Russia uses a tactical nuclear weapon in Ukraine, its national security adviser Jake Sullivan said on Sunday, reaffirming the Joe Biden White House’s previous response to mounting concerns that Vladimir Putin’s threats are in increased danger of being realised.

“We have communicated directly, privately and at very high levels to the Kremlin that any use of nuclear weapons will be met with catastrophic consequences for Russia, that the US and our allies will respond decisively, and we have been clear and specific about what that will entail,” Sullivan told CBS’s Face The Nation.

Sullivan said that the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, had been “waving around the nuclear card at various points through this conflict”, and it was a matter that Biden’s administration has “to take deadly seriously because it is a matter of paramount seriousness – the possible use of nuclear weapons for the first time since the second world war”.
I’d imagine we’d do our own ‘special operation’ including setting up the no-fly-zone people have been requesting, essentially shutting down their operations within Ukraine’s borders.

But that’s just amateur conjecture.

Jericholyte2

I’d imagine we’d do our own ‘special operation’ including setting up the no-fly-zone people have been requesting, essentially shutting down their operations within Ukraine’s borders.

But that’s just amateur conjecture.
I’d imagine our reaction to the use of a nuclear weapon would exceed the implementation of a no fly zone.

I imagine Russia w…well I don’t even want to speculate on what could happen.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure if this one was posted already but the screams are terrifying.

Yes, I mean the reality seems to be sadists are given the power to torture anyone they see fit to terrorise the population. Just imagine a man taking a young lady away and torturing her for next to no reason or no reason. Not that it's better if they torture men, but it seems even more cowardly and abusive. I can't imagine what they're doing to this poor soul either because she sounds in absolute agony.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I hope you succeed! I hope that Russia becomes a democratic nation with solid democratic institutions. Like most countries in Europe.

Having said that, it is very hard for me to imagine this actually happening (although, I must admit I have a very limited knowledge of Russia). I still don't understand how in the 1990s all those thousands of torturers in the gulags faced no consequences. One has to face their past in order to fix their future. Even the best positive examples from the soviet era turned out sour for me. For example, in the 1980s I read almost all of Solzhenitsyn's books and I admired him, but later in the 1990s I was deeply disappointed by him... because it seemed to me that he basically hated the West (that helped him and saved his life) and he just wanted to create a Russian Empire again, not a communist one but one based on theocratic ideas from the 19th century. The West is corrupted, the West is the root of all Evil, the West is dying. These ideas are usually the basis for creating something much worse than what we have in the West, it just feeds autocrats like Putin. We had already seen the same thing happening in Iran after their 1979 revolution. So, even the best of Russia basically worked for creating something terrible.

Is there any reason to hope for something better now?
Well, the collapse will give us a chance of building something right. We failed originally but the world is very different today. Who knows…

I have no idea how Russia will end up after the war and, hopefully, the end of Putin though. But the potential devastating military defeat might make it easier to change the direction of our development.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
In addition to weapons, the Ukrainians should store huge amounts of vodka near the front line.

1. Strategic retreat.
2. Russian soldiers get hammered.
3. Counter-attack and smash through the line while they're all wasted.

frostbite

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/16/f-16s-patriots-ukraine-negotiations-00057262

Negotiations on whether to send F-16s and Patriots to Ukraine continue — but quietly

Ukraine has stopped asking for high-tech weapons in public. But that doesn’t mean they don’t want them.

Ukraine has stopped publicly asking for high-end U.S. weapons such as Patriot air defense systems, F-16 fighter jets and Gray Eagle drones.

But behind the scenes, the push hasn’t stopped for weapons that could turn the tide of the war. Kyiv’s just getting savvier about its requests.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Even Russia Serbia won't recognise those referendums.

Well, Serbia is good and obedient lapdog, until they themselves are concerned. Recognizing these republics would effectively mean Serbia recognizes Kosovo and they will push the Kosovo recognition down the line for as long as it is possible.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Edward Helmore

What is specific and clear thing the west will do if Putin uses nukes In Ukraine.

JuriM

Surely there has to be US troops in UKR by now? All these sophisticated defense systems can't be operational so quickly manned by Ukrainians?
There a special groups of Ukrainian forces trained all over EU in different NATO bases to operate them, been already since like April or so.

the hea

Surely there has to be US troops in UKR by now? All these sophisticated defense systems can't be operational so quickly manned by Ukrainians?
7 months should be enough to train Ukrainian soldiers how to use NASAMS. Finland has the same system and they are operated mostly by conscripts that recieve between 6 and 12 months of training.

The Firestarter

For sure but as advisors/liason officers but not direct combat. For special forces its a bit murkier.

JuriM

Was rather expected from anyone who remember the 90s, you can't mess with the people from like Dagestan and expect them to just compell.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Was rather expected from anyone who remember the 90s, you can't mess with the people from like Dagestan and expect them to just compell.
Wow!
Hopefully they follow through on that threat. Could be the beginning of the end for the madman.

Rajma

7 months should be enough to train Ukrainian soldiers how to use NASAMS. Finland has the same system and they are operated mostly by conscripts that recieve between 6 and 12 months of training.
Accidentally, on Saturday it happened to be an Army day here and we bumped into an exhibition of the most modern NATO weaponry at our disposal with NATO troops stationed next to them to answer any questions on these systems. NASAMS was as well there and when I asked the guy is it easy to operate, he said that it’s rather straightforward system to figure and it wouldn’t take an awful lot of time for someone to learn how to use it.

Red Star One

Entrance into the conflict with unlimited NATO forces? Maybe a corresponding, proportional tac nuke on Russian soil? Who knows?
I think the brief was the answer would be “immediate” and with “conventional weapons”, so if I were to guess they just passed Putin the info that a nuclear strike in Ukraine would mean automatic missile attacks on Russia from NATO forces

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think the brief was the answer would be “immediate” and with “conventional weapons”, so if I were to guess they just passed Putin the info that a nuclear strike in Ukraine would mean automatic missile attacks on Russia from NATO forces
Sounds legit. Targeted at him / his upper echelon or more at military hardware?

The Firestarter

Wow!
Hopefully they follow through on that threat. Could be the beginning of the end for the madman.
When the first wikileaks came about, I read a piece about a Dagestani wedding attended by an American diplomat. These people don't feck around.