Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

icehole

To what benefit?

People are wondering if Norway did it just because they’re about the only country that benefits from this. Which is quite a stretch.
This is a vexing question. There was a post in the WaPo comments that suggested the reason may be internal. Putin blows the pipelines and the oilygarchs' power is diminished; a message is sent to those around him that he can break them without resorting to defenestration.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Absolutely nothing to do with the war, but does anyone know why Meloni has the Arabic letter "noon" in her name?
Its usually written in solidarity to persecuted Christians around the world. ن is to indicate Nasara or Nazarenes, which have allegedly been used as pejoratives against Christians, most recently by the likes of ISIS in Iraq.

She is basically using the ن on her socials to campaign against "Christian oppression". Not particularly surprising coming from a right wing politician in the west.

RedTiger

Half mast
Its usually written in solidarity to persecuted Christians around the world. ن is to indicate Nasara or Nazarenes, which have allegedly been used as pejoratives against Christians, most recently by the likes of ISIS in Iraq.

She is basically using the ن on her socials to campaign against "Christian oppression". Not particularly surprising coming from a right wing politician in the west.
That's news to me. Cheers bro

little.triangles

There have been some horrific images from this war, but this is almost as heartbreaking. That old man looking at his rifle might end up dead in a ditch somewhere in Ukraine. What a monumental waste of real lives because of the actions of a deranged idiot.

frostbite

There have been some horrific images from this war, but this is almost as heartbreaking. That old man looking at his rifle might end up dead in a ditch somewhere in Ukraine. What a monumental waste of real lives because of the actions of a deranged idiot.
deranged idiot -dash- master strategist!

frostbite

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...gozhin-admits-founding-wagner-mercenary-group

Putin ally Yevgeny Prigozhin admits founding Wagner mercenary group
Russian businessman confirms deployment to countries in Latin America and Africa in first public confirmation of link

[...]
Wagner has been accused of committing human rights abuses in Ukraine, Syria, Libya, Central African Republic, Sudan and Mozambique. The group’s alleged co-founder, Dmitry Utkin, has been linked to the far right and is believed to have named the group after Hitler’s favourite composer. The US and EU have imposed sanctions on Prigozhin and Utkin for their role in Wagner.

[...]

Last week the Guardian reported that Prigozhin was personally recruiting soldiers from Russia’s extensive penitentiary system in an attempt to compensate for acute shortages of personnel on the battlefield.

In one leaked video, Prigozhin is seen telling inmates they would be freed if they served six months with his group.

Real Name

It obviously wasn’t the US. Absolutely no need. The gas isn’t flowing through those pipes now anyway and the EU is in a good place ahead of winter and has moved away from Russian gas. This was a warning shot from the Russians - the Norwegian supply gets cut and it’s fecking chaos:

Havent kept track, what's the situation in EU energy wise?

Rajma

Just a handful I was able to find off the back of quick search but the pattern is evident and the angle they’re purposefully pushing.
Putin helping to export grain from Ukraine?
Russian armed forces = Ukrainian rebels?
Kherson separatists?
@VorZakone

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Havent kept track, what's the situation in EU energy wise?
Generally stable now, but quite vulnerable, there aren't much options if a pipelone from Norway gets destroyed or something like that.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Generally stable now, but quite vulnerable, there aren't much options if a pipelone from Norway gets destroyed or something like that.
Well they'd have to prepare for some rationing and more LNG and whatnot to be bought. It would be chaos but they've had plenty of time to prepare contingencies. In the UK we are more independent theoretically, but our doomsday cult won't have planned any sensible response should any lines go down I shouldn't think...

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
As water always finds its level, Russia seems to always find the path that says "show me you are the baddies without telling me you are the baddies."

Rajma

From few days ago but probably relevant now;
Looks like US kept an eye on the Russian sub activity in the same area.

Last edited:

Rajma

It’s interesting when will Germany wake up to the fact that they’re being ridiculed by Russia in this hybrid warfare and that’s time to start acting properly and with a bit of the backbone.

Rajma

Preparations are ongoing in Belarus to open up a north axis again.
The delusion is strong in Kremlin it seems.

Real Name

They couldn't do it when they were at their strongest position and now they think they'll do it, when Ukrainians are well equipped and ready, just cause they'll throw few hundred thousand unprepared and underequipped soldiers into a meat grinder.

RedDevilQuebecois

They couldn't do it when they were at their strongest position and now they think they'll do it, when Ukrainians are well equipped and ready, just cause they'll throw few hundred thousand unprepared and underequipped soldiers into a meat grinder.
The Kremlin will end up making the number of Chinese and North Korean casualties during the Korean War look like a footnote in comparison. And I thought those idiots had learned since then that numbers do not win wars.

Rajma

I’m pretty sure there’s a huge misreporting ongoing right from the ground troops to their commanders and generals and when the information finally reaches Putin it barely resembles the reality. That’s how regimes built on corruption work.

Last edited:

Real Name

I’m pretty sure there’s a huge misreporting ongoing right from the ground troops to their commanders and generals and when the information finally reaches Putin it barely resembles the reality. That’s how regimes built on corruption work.
It all reminds me of that scene from Downfall movie in the Hitler bunker.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This is brilliant:
Is it? I don’t find it particularly funny personally. For those who don’t speak Russian, which is the majority of people here, the subtitles have nothing to do with what they’re actually saying.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is it? I don’t find it particularly funny personally. For those who don’t speak Russian, which is the majority of people here, the subtitles have nothing to do with what they’re actually saying.
It's a pisstake as I mentioned. A parody. I think it's spot on personally.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes, far more heartbreaking than anything else. Putin is basically holding an entire nation hostage in order to preserve his own life.