Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

spiriticon

Wow, impressive. I never thought they could get near that bridge. Hopefully those damaged fuel tankers act as a railblock that can't be moved.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
:lol:
Hope I'm wrong but I suspect the retaliation is going to be destruction of a lot of Ukraine's remaining strategic bridges which have been largely left alone in recent weeks... Leading to difficulties in the planned winter humanitarian relief

Hope I'm proved wrong on this one

Last edited:

Vitro

It’s quite funny. Russia’s radical post-truth propaganda seemed to export itself quite well abroad but it seems that the internal damage it’s done has been decisive in their failure to deal with the reality in Ukraine.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Hope I'm wrong but I suspect the realisation is going to be destruction of a lot of Ukraine's remaining strategic bridges which have been largely left alone in recent weeks... Leading to difficulties in the planned winter humanitarian relief

Probably, but it just puzzles me why they haven't already.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Probably, but it just puzzles me why they haven't already.
It takes precision missiles doesn’t it? Or a helluva lot of non precision ones. I’m not sure how many Russia has left and how many they would spare for essentially a reprisal which wouldn’t change anuthing militarily. That’s my only guess as to why they haven’t but it’s just that: a guess because I can’t think of anything more likely right now.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It takes precision missiles doesn’t it? Or a helluva lot of non precision ones. I’m not sure how many Russia has left and how many they would spare for essentially a reprisal which wouldn’t change anuthing militarily. That’s my only guess as to why they haven’t but it’s just that: a guess because I can’t think of anything more likely right now.
That seems the most likely explanation, that they just don't have the ability. Seems strange so many years after watching videos of US stuff hitting small targets, I still can't get used to how far behind Russia seems to be.

Spark

Hope I'm wrong but I suspect the realisation is going to be destruction of a lot of Ukraine's remaining strategic bridges which have been largely left alone in recent weeks... Leading to difficulties in the planned winter humanitarian relief

Russia’s only reprisals to any military setbacks have been to bomb cities and civilians, which simply doesn’t do anything to weaken your enemy militarily. That’ll have been baked in (you’d assume), but at this point I honestly question Russia’s ability to conduct coherent offensive operations.

Aside from being pure evil, spaffing their wad on war crimes is simply dumb as feck. I mean they used their super duper hypersonic missiles to blow up five random buildings in Odessa. Can’t imagine they’re rolling off the production line.

cyberman

Can’t the relief just come through the vast land that Ukraine now hold?

Simbo

Hope I'm wrong but I suspect the retaliation is going to be destruction of a lot of Ukraine's remaining strategic bridges which have been largely left alone in recent weeks... Leading to difficulties in the planned winter humanitarian relief

Their previous retaliations consisted of mass targeting of civilians and civilian infrastructure.

Also hope I'm wrong but Russian forces seem pretty inept at focusing on strategic targets.

Rajma

The road bridge is clearly out for good but the heavy weapons were mainly transported via rail bridge and it doesn’t look like it was damaged too badly from what I’ve seen.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The road bridge is clearly out for good but the heavy weapons were mainly transported via rail bridge and it doesn’t look like it was damaged too badly from what I’ve seen.
It might be still in place, but a burning train standing on top of it will definitely have weakened it. Some repairs will be necessary, otherwise it's going to be a disaster.

The impact on the public opinion might be worse than the actual damage to the military logistics.

Simbo

I'm not so sure.

Either way, this won't be the only time they hit it.

Rajma

It might be still in place, but a burning train standing on top of it will definitely have weakened it. Some repairs will be necessary, otherwise it's going to be a disaster.

The impact on the public opinion might be worse than the actual damage to the military logistics.
You’re right. Anyway, this war has come a long way from the battle for Kiev to battle for Crimea in just 7 months.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The scariest shit are calls for retaliation. And I don't mean the pointless bravado like "well, this is true WAR now" that Sergey Mironov posted but calls for direct and bloody retaliation on civilian cities:

Anton Krasovskyi, head of the Russian language broadcasting at RT:
We need to retaliate for the bridge in the most brutal way possible. Kyiv, Lviv, Odessa, Kharkiv, Zhitomir. Stop enduring this!

His boss, Margarita Simonyan, was less chatty, simply saying: "And?" (but the implication is the same).

harms

Staff
Some positive news if you're willing to baselessly extrapolate — my grandmother now thinks that the war was a bad idea and we shouldn't have started it. I had little to do with it but the change in the argumentation on the federal TV etc. made her question the entire thing. Hopefully it's not just her.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Russians reckon they’ll have the bridge back functioning in a matter of hours.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Some positive news if you're willing to baselessly extrapolate — my grandmother now thinks that the war was a bad idea and we shouldn't have started it. I had little to do with it but the change in the argumentation on the federal TV etc. made her question the entire thing. Hopefully it's not just her.
Hopefully the start of things to come. Good that she's able to think for herself and not just be brainwashed like so many can be.

harms

Staff
Hopefully the start of things to come. Good that she's able to think for herself and not just be brainwashed like so many can be.
Well, she did believe most of the stuff that they've said for more than half a year :(

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well, she did believe most of the stuff that they've said for more than half a year :(
Aye, but it takes time for people of her era to question the authorities. We have to remember that we've been fortunate to grow up during the internet era where information is at our finger tips assuming you know how to find it safely.

The fact that its starting to sink in to people of her era is a big positive, hopefully it continues to spread.