Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Put this invasion into perspective. It is basically akin to the Soviet-Afghan War. There remained journalistic exchange and diplomatic exchange even at the height of the Cold War when US/USSR were fighting each other by proxy on simultaneous fronts.

Personally, I want the Russian perspective as well as the Ukrainian perspective and the Western perspective and the rest of the world's perspective, too. I can understand arguments against it, but despite legitimate concerns it's not something I'm going to agree with. If the Russians were an actual, immediate, threat (war-threat) to us, I would agree. They're not, though. The only threat here is a potential nuclear war because if it goes hot then it will go nuclear as a matter of fact and all the propaganda won't matter a bit. Also, the people who swallow Russian propaganda are the same people you should be convincing of its absurdity (by pointing out the absurdity of our own propaganda, too). And these people will find a way to get that content somewhere else. All you're doing is pushing them further into individualistc silos.

If we're going to be told about Russian media by Western media, then the first thing I'm going to do is go straight to Russian media because of a healthy distrust of Western media (cultivated over a lifetime and based in their outright lies and manipulative tactics). One set of half-truths against another with the two being weighed by the self-interest of different ruling classes in different states (or different states if you don't buy the class line). It just means I have to read against the grain of Pravda instead of RT. And if that goes, then some other Russian outlet.
The perspective is actually that this is the first time - or the 2nd time if we include the annexation of Crimea - since the end of WWII that Russia/USSR has invaded an independent European country. It's an historical watershed event that is not comparable to the Soviet-Afghan War.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
The perspective is actually that this is the first time - or the 2nd time if we include the annexation of Crimea - since the end of WWII that Russia/USSR has invaded an independent European country. It's an historical watershed event that is not comparable to the Soviet-Afghan War.
Third time if we include Chechnya. It's a momentous event and I'm not downplaying it, I just don't see the logic behind repeating Russian propaganda in Western media if you're going to ban Russian media because it is propaganda.

Carolina Red

Staff
Put this invasion into perspective. It is basically akin to the Soviet-Afghan War. There remained journalistic exchange and diplomatic exchange even at the height of the Cold War when US/USSR were fighting each other by proxy on simultaneous fronts.

Personally, I want the Russian perspective as well as the Ukrainian perspective and the Western perspective and the rest of the world's perspective, too. I can understand arguments against it, but despite legitimate concerns it's not something I'm going to agree with. If the Russians were an actual, immediate, threat (war-threat) to us, I would agree. They're not, though. The only threat here is a potential nuclear war because if it goes hot then it will go nuclear as a matter of fact and all the propaganda won't matter a bit. Also, the people who swallow Russian propaganda are the same people you should be convincing of its absurdity (by pointing out the absurdity of our own propaganda, too). And these people will find a way to get that content somewhere else. All you're doing is pushing them further into individualistc silos.

If we're going to be told about Russian media by Western media, then the first thing I'm going to do is go straight to Russian media because of a healthy distrust of Western media (cultivated over a lifetime and based in their outright lies and manipulative tactics). One set of half-truths against another with the two being weighed by the self-interest of different ruling classes in different states (or different states if you don't buy the class line). It just means I have to read against the grain of Pravda instead of RT. And if that goes, then some other Russian outlet.

Just on the covid thing. That was mostly Western people in my experience. Not saying Russians might not have tried to push it, but there was enormous vaccine hesitancy in Russia, too. And social media was the biggest problem there, not Russian media (the conspiracies you saw predated Russian broadcast establishments in many cases including anti-Semitic theories). Also, the US has to be the greatest exporter of conspiracy theories in modern history (well before Russia).
I used to think like that. There’s even posts you can pull up by me on here from 5 or so years back talking about it. I don’t believe that way anymore. Events, and people’s responses to them, have changed that opinion in me.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
I used to think like that. There’s even posts you can pull up by me on here from 5 or so years back talking about it. I don’t believe that way anymore. Events, and people’s responses to them, have changed that opinion in me.
Yeah, that's fair enough.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... If we're going to be told about Russian media by Western media, then the first thing I'm going to do is go straight to Russian media because of a healthy distrust of Western media (cultivated over a lifetime and based in their outright lies and manipulative tactics). One set of half-truths against another with the two being weighed by the self-interest of different ruling classes in different states (or different states if you don't buy the class line). ...
You make no distinction between the plurality of Western media - hundreds of different TV channels, radio stations and newspapers, not to mention internet access - and the single monolith of the Russian state that now controls all Russian media and has cut off access to the internet for most of its citizens? Unbelievable.

I'm sorry, but I'm done responding further to such idiocy.

Last edited:

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
You make no distinct between the plurality of Western media - hundreds of different TV channels, radio stations and newspapers, not to mention internet access - and the single monolith of the Russian state that now controls all Russian media and has cut off access to the internet for most of its citizens? Unbelievable.

I'm sorry, but I'm done responding further to such idiocy.
The Russian state controlled media is not the same as Western media, I agree. But Western media, despite its plurality, is largely dominated by a corporate nexus. There are facts about this war which the Western media have tried their best to suppress or marginalize. You had to either know the history or know reliable independent journalists/scholars to get those facts because it wasn't in the West's (corporate) interest to tell you. I understand the West wants to propagandize to serve their interests, that's fine. Russia does it all the time. But I also have an interest in discerning what is true and objective from what is loaded and selectively framed.

We won't agree but I think it's because you misunderstand my point (I know what plurality there is and isn't in the Western mediascape and am not saying it is the same as Russian state media). It's not a massive issue either way.
Edit:

Things like this are a problem. If you know the Donziger story, you'll understand that corporate media has basically refused to report it. I don't even like Hedges but this carpet banning of people you disagree with is insane.

For a different thread.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
The Russian state controlled media is not the same as Western media, I agree. But Western media, despite its plurality, is largely dominated by a corporate nexus. There are facts about this war which the Western media have tried their best to suppress or marginalize. You had to either know the history or know reliable independent journalists/scholars to get those facts because it wasn't in the West's (corporate) interest to tell you. I understand the West wants to propagandize to serve their interests, that's fine. Russia does it all the time. But I also have an interest in discerning what is true and objective from what is loaded and selectively framed.

We won't agree but I think it's because you misunderstand my point (I know what plurality there is and isn't in the Western mediascape and am not saying it is the same as Russian state media). It's not a massive issue either way.
Edit:

Things like this are a problem. If you know the Donziger story, you'll understand that corporate media has basically refused to report it. I don't even like Hedges but this carpet banning of people you disagree with is insane.

For a different thread.
Yeah but then they “redeem” themselves…

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Oh my just wait until you read about how the british empire moved people like cattle to suit their machinations.
Apparently Russia in its various forms had been transplanting Ukranians out of Ukraine and moving Russians in for hundreds of years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I assume this is to jam or also triangulate signals coming from Belarus or the Black Sea for those distance missile launches like that into Lviv?
Yes. I think they can jam Russian signals on behalf of the Ukrainians without ever entering Ukrainian airspace.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yes. I think they can jam Russian signals on behalf of the Ukrainians without ever entering Ukrainian airspace.
Semi-NFZ for Western Ukraine then? Or further?

Wont they need to work very closely or even closer with the Ukrainians so as not to jam their own frequencies too?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Semi-NFZ for Western Ukraine then? Or further?

Wont they need to work very closely or even closer with the Ukrainians so as not to jam their own frequencies too?
It wouldn’t be a NFZ since Russians could still fly in uncontested airspace. What it would do is jam and confuse Russian air defenses thereby allowing Ukrainian planes to fly with a lesser Russian air defense threat. That could be valuable in allowing Ukrainian air power to go after entrenched Russian units around Kyiv, Kharkiv, Mykolaev, and Mariupol.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It wouldn’t be a NFZ since Russians could still fly in uncontested airspace. What it would do is jam and confuse Russian air defenses thereby allowing Ukrainian planes to fly with a lesser Russian air defense threat. That could be valuable in allowing Ukrainian air power to go after entrenched Russian units around Kyiv, Kharkiv, Mykolaev, and Mariupol.
Cheers!!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That is interesting. Only complaint being that we have censored Russian media which is a kind of state-directed infantilization of the people (not intelligent enough to try comprehend propaganda for themselves) and an incredibly illiberal policy. So that ironically it is a kind of propaganda that we have to take these statements on their own merit as we're denied access to the source.

Best alternatives are the likes of Russian Pravda

https://english.pravda.ru/opinion/150874-regime_change_washington/

which frame it slightly different but do report it.
I know you're pushing this across multiple threads but it isn't really true is it?

Firstly, what's reported on Russian TV in Russian will be different to what is reported on Russian state TV in English/French/Arabic. This is echoed across other authoritarian blocks worldwide.

Its the likes of Russia Today which have been banned from western media (in English/French etc), in such a way that the people who were consuming it before will still be able to consume it online. Not Russian state media (in Russian) which almost nobody but Russians would have been consuming in the west previously.

Regardless, the original post was talking about what's available to Russians in Russian language media and how its being reported to Russian speakers. Now either you speak Russian fluently, meaning you can still access those media reports yourself and corroborate the information. Or you can't speak Russian and therefore you wouldn't have been able to corroborate it even before any banning of Russian media.

All of which indicates to me yet another attempt to push a certain narrative (the propaganda in the West, the illiberal nature of this society) as opposed to an actual point regarding your ability to corroborate Russian language state media.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
@Mciahel Goodman even in the 80s, in NI Gerry Adams was censored on TV. It’s actually hilariously ridiculous thinking back, his words were still put out but just voiced by an actor.
Censorship is found everywhere, whether it’s small or large; it’s been in action for decades

frostbite

Comparing western media to Putin's fascism is silly. Journalists in Russia who try to be objective can lose their lives. Seven Novaya Gazeta journalists have been murdered since 2000! That's one newspaper only. Which is closed as of today...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...vaya-gazeta-to-close-until-end-of-ukraine-war

Novaya Gazeta, one of Russia’s last remaining independent news outlets, has said it will cease operations until the end of the war in Ukraine after it received a second warning from the state censor for allegedly violating the country’s “foreign agent” law.

The warning came a day after its editor-in-chief, Dmitry Muratov, spoke with the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, in a group interview with Russian journalists that was quickly banned by the state media watchdog, Roskomnadzor.

Novaya Gazeta is one of the country’s most important independent publications. A number of its journalists have been killed since the 1990s in retaliation for their reporting, including on the war in Chechnya.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I know you're pushing this across multiple threads but it isn't really true is it?

Firstly, what's reported on Russian TV in Russian will be different to what is reported on Russian state TV in English/French/Arabic. This is echoed across other authoritarian blocks worldwide.

Its the likes of Russia Today which have been banned from western media (in English/French etc), in such a way that the people who were consuming it before will still be able to consume it online. Not Russian state media (in Russian) which almost nobody but Russians would have been consuming in the west previously.

Regardless, the original post was talking about what's available to Russians in Russian language media and how its being reported to Russian speakers. Now either you speak Russian fluently, meaning you can still access those media reports yourself and corroborate the information. Or you can't speak Russian and therefore you wouldn't have been able to corroborate it even before any banning of Russian media.

All of which indicates to me yet another attempt to push a certain narrative (the propaganda in the West, the illiberal nature of this society) as opposed to an actual point regarding your ability to corroborate Russian language state media.
That's how I see it, too. The Russian propaganda machinery has designed narratives specifically for the conspiracy scene and right wing extremists in the West, like they have done all those previous years to harm us. I see absolutely no reason to allow that.

Then there's also the broad casting of Russian TV usually consumed by ethnic Russians in Europe or the US. Basically the broadcasting of what is seen in Russia as well. I believe that this should be available "for research purposes" but it should not be as easily accessible as it is currently.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Yeah but then they “redeem” themselves…

That's insane. I know there's a law and I've seen the Russians very strictly call it "special military operation". That has to be more ridiculous than anything else (there are pro-Putin people in the West talking about invasion speed, plus Russian media links this to clear examples of other invasions that they don't agree with :lol:).

No you've misunderstood. I have lots of problems with western media but this is just about access to the Russia perspective (I've been following a broad spectrum of left/right/centre views from Western/Arab/Asian and Latin/South American news since the outbreak; that's all this is).

@Mciahel Goodman even in the 80s, in NI Gerry Adams was censored on TV. It’s actually hilariously ridiculous thinking back, his words were still put out but just voiced by an actor.
Censorship is found everywhere, whether it’s small or large; it’s been in action for decades
That's true. It isn't new. And you can make the argument that it isn't always bad, too I guess.

Maticmaker

With much of his armies advance ground to a halt and in some case forced back in Ukraine, Putin's 'make believe enemy at the door' is turning into a real one.

spiriticon

botond

wonder why the russian educated youth is not protesting ? imagine finishing education and the only job openings are at the military

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
wonder why the russian educated youth is not protesting ? imagine finishing education and the only job openings are at the military
A lot of those are trying to leave the country apparently.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
While I don’t trust Russians at all and would take it with a pinch of salt, it’s not unthinkable that they have started to form an exit strategy and will try to pull back a little now to maybe achieve more in contested areas rather than go after the whole country which at this point has become an impossible goal.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

From what i understand, when russia found out they couldn't take Kiev, the real bombing of civilians started, most likely to demoralize any defenders.

I doubt even satan would welcome pootin.

spiriticon

While I don’t trust Russians at all and would take it with a pinch of salt, it’s not unthinkable that they have started to form an exit strategy and will try to pull back a little now to maybe achieve more in contested areas rather than go after the whole country which at this point has become an impossible goal.
There is definitely a de-escalation of rhetoric in the last few days which is very welcome.

But, if the Kremlin tells you its pasta, you check under the sauce.