Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Okay then. On a grand scheme of things, that Russian warship being sank is like few iskander missiles being sank. Moskva is not the Russian navy.
It's just the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet, no biggie.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Okay then. On a grand scheme of things, that Russian warship being sank is like few iskander missiles being sank. Moskva is not the Russian navy.
Most probably the biggest single loss of casualties in the war so far, and Russian flagship warship in the Black Sea.

In terms of Russian dominance. The majority of Russian generals have now been killed and the Russian advance has been pushed back to the Donbas region, where they are making little progress.
In terms of proof of the lack of morals within the Russian army, take a look at the reports emerging from those areas Russia were forced to retreat from where there's mass graves of civilians and numerous reports or rape, torture and indiscriminate killings.

What is the point you're trying to make?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Most probably the biggest single loss of casualties in the war so far, and Russian flagship warship in the Black Sea.

In terms of Russian dominance. The majority of Russian generals have now been killed and the Russian advance has been pushed back to the Donbas region, where they are making little progress. In terms of proof of the lack of morals within the Russian army, take a look at the reports emerging from those areas Russia were forced to retreat from where there's mass graves of civilians and numerous reports or rape, torture and indiscriminate killings.
Majority of Russian generals have been killed..
Holy feck would you let us lose wW2 properly..
Please..
Haha

spiriticon

A metaphor. Surely you could see that Russian fleet moved beyond 70/80’s
Russia's military hasn't moved past the 80's, let's be honest here.

The only thing that have that's good and modern are missiles, of which they will have difficulty replacing soon because sanctions.

Time to bring out the rock catapults.

Paxi

Russia's military hasn't moved past the 80's, let's be honest here.

The only thing that have that's good and modern are missiles, of which they will have difficulty replacing soon because sanctions.

Time to bring out the rock catapults.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Proof please mate.
The Russian government repeatedly lied about having no intention of invading further into Ukraine, and then it did precisely that.

As for the rest, the proof is available in countless news reports from many different media sources. No doubt you prefer to believe the Russian media - all state-controlled. Just as you no doubt prefer to live in West and enjoy its freedoms, all whilst admiring Putin's tyranny from afar.

Paxi

The Russian government repeatedly lied about having no intention of invading further into Ukraine, and then it did precisely that.

As for the rest, the proof is available in countless news reports from many different media sources. No doubt you prefer to believe the Russian media - all state-controlled. Just as you no doubt prefer to live in West and enjoy its freedoms, all whilst admiring Putin's tyranny from afar.
Right so how did they lie? It’s stupid to just

That’s a bare faced lie. Like Russia wanted incursion into Ukraine?! Okay give it to me how.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
- Violation of an international treaty in the 1994 Bucharest Agreement
- Waging an aggressive and unprovoked war
- Violating of the UN Charter
- Deliberate targeting of civilians
- Use of cluster munitions in civilian areas
- Targeting civilians in agreed humanitarian corridors
- Mass murder of civilians
- Covering up the mass murder of civilians
- Rapes of civilians by soldiers of the invading army
- Numerous breaches of the Geneva Conventions
- Press-ganging Ukrainian civilians into military service
- Forced deportations of thousands Ukrainian civilians and forcing them to stay in Russia for two years
- Forcing Ukrainian children to learn Russian after deporting them into Russia
- Oh and a massive repression of Russian civilians, free press and free society

That's off the top of my head. What have I missed?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Russia is exercising its power across the Black Sea and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
I’m a Brit. I love the fecking craic, so on and so forth…

You can’t tell me Russia hasn’t absolutely made
Its power known.
You're an embarassment. Talking like this about an unjust war that has already killed thousands of innocent civilians,

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Right so how did they lie? It’s stupid to just

That’s a bare faced lie. Like Russia wanted incursion into Ukraine?! Okay give it to me how.
Watch the many interviews given, or public statements made, by Russian officials in the weeks and days preceding Feb. 24th. They're all on the internet. They repeatedly said no invasion was planned or would happen.

Or else do us all favour and emigrate to Putin-land.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Watch the many interviews given, or public statements made, by Russian officials in the weeks and days preceding Feb. 24th. They're all on the internet. They repeatedly said no invasion was planned or would happen.

Or else do us all favour and emigrate to Putin-land.
And endless intelligence briefings from the UK and US, amongst others, which predicted the invasion and were proved right.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
After watching this, I'm even more confident that the Russian invasion will fail. Need to watch with captions/subtitles turned on (unless you speak Ukrainian):

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe Paxi is just having a bad day + some extra drink and all of that together makes him feel the need to defend Russia a little.
If I remember correctly he has Russian family. I guess that the whole situation should not be easy to digest.
It started with the journalist / collaborator and has been heating up

frostbite

"I wouldn’t want my country facing the shame"

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-guru-germany-can-survive-without-russian-oil

Ustenko is scathing about Europe’s response to Kyiv’s challenge on oil and gas. By his estimate, Moscow banks about $1.4bn a day from oil and gas sales, with most of it coming from Europe.

“Imagine how many missiles and bombs you can buy for that kind of money,” he says. “Some people in Europe still have extremely narrow thinking. They believe they can help us, that they’re our great friends and indeed they are. But they do not understand that by supplying this money to Putin, they are funding his military machine. If Russians are committing war crimes, even genocide, whoever is supplying Russia with this bloody money is guilty of the same war crime.”

Much of his frustration is directed at Germany, Europe’s largest economy and among the most dependent on Russian oil and, in particular, gas.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Contracts to control how weapons can be sold on are really complicating things. This time: Switzerland https://www.20min.ch/story/schweiz-verhindert-deutsche-waffenlieferung-in-die-ukraine-745377511695

The ammo for the German Marder IFV (that was requested by Ukraine) is produced in Switzerland, so even if Germany wants to sell on this to Ukraine they need to get permission from there, which Switzerland doesn't give. So Germany at the moment could not send the ammo, even if we did send the IFVs. Which would make them pretty useless.

I'll still readily accept most of the blame for Germany not delivering this stuff, but at least Switzerland is also involved in this mess.

In similar situations Germany approved deliveries of weapons from other countries (BMPs from Czech, PzH 2000 from the Netherlands).

stevoc

"I wouldn’t want my country facing the shame"

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-guru-germany-can-survive-without-russian-oil

Ustenko is scathing about Europe’s response to Kyiv’s challenge on oil and gas. By his estimate, Moscow banks about $1.4bn a day from oil and gas sales, with most of it coming from Europe.

“Imagine how many missiles and bombs you can buy for that kind of money,” he says. “Some people in Europe still have extremely narrow thinking. They believe they can help us, that they’re our great friends and indeed they are. But they do not understand that by supplying this money to Putin, they are funding his military machine. If Russians are committing war crimes, even genocide, whoever is supplying Russia with this bloody money is guilty of the same war crime.”

Much of his frustration is directed at Germany, Europe’s largest economy and among the most dependent on Russian oil and, in particular, gas.
Genuine question as I wouldn't know but has Russia made massive purchases of Missiles and Bombs since the beginning of their invasion? Isn't most of their arsenal Russian made?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Genuine question as I wouldn't know but has Russia made massive purchases of Missiles and Bombs since the beginning of their invasion? Isn't most of their arsenal Russian made?
True. They can't get some parts for more sophisticated stuff due to trade embargoes for those goods (so those are actually hurting their military), but what they can produce domestically, they could produce anyway. Russia is essentially a dictatorship, balancing their bank account domestically isn't really an issue.

frostbite

Parts. They buy parts.

And of course they need money to pay their mercenaries, various agents and journalists around the world, leaders like Gerhard Schröder who worked for them, and so on.

stevoc

Parts. They buy parts
No doubt they buy parts (even with the current sanctions) but could they have already exhausted their entire arsenal of missiles and bombs in the first few weeks of their invasion to the point where they now have to buy parts to manufacture new weapons?