Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Depends on what region Macron was talking about. Is someone really expecting Ukraine to get Crimea back for exemple?
What does it matter which region.
Firstly it is really fxxk all to do with any other leader to propose that the leader of a country under attack by an invading country should give away parts of their country in order to placate someone like Putin.
And secondly, how disrespectful that is to both the families of Ukrainians who have been killed or injured or forced to flee their own country. As well as those incredibly brave Ukrainians fighting against the Russian invaders.

RedDevilQuebecois

Depends on what region Macron was talking about. Is someone really expecting Ukraine to get Crimea back for exemple?
In the current context, I say pushing the Russian army all the way back to the original Eastern and Northeastern borders is not beyond the realm of possibility. Crimea is just too big of a real estate block for Ukraine to recover at the moment. From the moment Putin went for provocation by recognizing Donbas and Luhansk, I say those so-called "republics" are the ones deserving to be forced back under Kyiv's control when Ukraine will get enough striking punch to hit on the attack.

Now that we are only relieved that Le Pen is not President of France because she is fully brown-nosing the Kremlin, Macron needs to sit in the corner and spare us with that delusion of reasoning with the insane and dying man (Putin).

edit: I don't want to get started on Erdogan on the NATO thing. I just despise him with all of my bones like I despise Trump, Putin, Xi, Kim, Maduro, MBS, Duterte and Bolsonaro.

Last edited:

LDUred

Macron may feel that he has Putin's ear but he is just being played by a congenital liar.

Ceasefires in Russia's mindset can be used tactically, so they will be getting supply in order for another offensive, or just deliberating wearing down the opposition's hope of achieving peace with deliberately drawn out negotitations. Mental disintegration.

There's a reason why other leaders haven't been banging a drum for them. They know what Putin's up to and what the intent behind them is because his end goal remains the same.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
From the BBC:

"As we've been reporting, Ukraine's Defence Minister Oleksiy Reznikov has said the country is entering a new stage of the war.

Reznikov pledged to arm a million fighters using the new weapons and military equipment the US and other Western countries have been donating to the country over the last couple of weeks.

The defence minister said that during the beginning of the war, "volunteers were extremely helpful" and it's thanks to their mobility that they "quickly resolved highly pressing issues".

Reznikov said that to win, Ukraine "must plan resources carefully and avoid mistakes" and was investing in Ukrainian production facilities to "ensure the stability and frequency of deliveries".

In his statement on Facebook, he said that Ukraine had relied on charitable aid from citizens, volunteers, and civic organisations for a significant proportion of its military equipment.

He said that at the end of April, Ukraine's ministry of defence was relying on donations for 50% of the bullet proof vests used in combat.

But as of 13 May, Ukraine has managed to increase its production to provide 57% of the armed forces' bullet proof vests, he added."

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Putin has cancer, – Budanov [head of military intelligence of Ukraine, Kirill Budanov] said that a coup d'état is being prepared in Russia:

https://newsreadonline.com/putin-ha...hat-a-coup-detat-is-being-prepared-in-russia/
The head of military intelligence of Ukraine Kirill Budanov spoke about this in a new interview. He noted that Putin was simultaneously diagnosed with several diseases, one of which is cancer.
Let's hope it's not like Mr. Burns. :nervous:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's now being reported that the remaining Russian troops north of Kharkiv have retreated back over the border into Russia.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Russia is resorting to putting computer chips from dishwashers and refrigerators in tanks due to US sanctions, official says:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-...shwashers-in-tanks-sanctions-2022-5?r=US&IR=T
:lol:

"Commander, the tank is telling me to add Jet-Dry before engaging the enemy. What do I do?" :confused:

Although in all seriousness, some of those chips can be pretty powerful. I remember once reading that the PS3s processor could potentially be used in missile technology or something.

Carolina Red

Staff
:lol:

"Commander, the tank is telling me to add Jet-Dry before engaging the enemy. What do I do?" :confused:

Although in all seriousness, some of those chips can be pretty powerful. I remember once reading that the PS3s processor could potentially be used in missile technology or something.
That’s like how the iPhone is millions of times faster than the Apollo mission computers.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This thing has a range of 290 km. Edit: or apparently up 400km, depending on the flight profile.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
We can be sure that Macron wasn't talking about Crimea as that wouldn't save Putin's face at all.
International recognition of Crimea as a russian territory would be a win for Putin, not a huge one but still a win.

And even if I don't think Ukraine should give up any other territory, they'll need to find a way to adress this Dombas issue when the war is over (if they still hold these regions). Because whatever they were doing there since 2014, it was obviously not working.

ShoePolish

International recognition of Crimea as a russian territory would be a win for Putin, not a huge one but still a win.

And even if I don't think Ukraine should give up any other territory, they'll need to find a way to adress this Dombas issue when the war is over (if they still hold these regions). Because whatever they were doing there since 2014, it was obviously not working.
Not much they could've done. Russians were arming and having their troops embedded among rebels already there. Any escalation would've played out Georgia scenario and played into russian hands, as it would paint the ukrainians as the warmongers.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

In an attempt to be fair to Macron (and others), I think his big concern is that Putin will resort to nukes if he has no off-ramp from this war and is forced into otherwise facing a humiliating and and total defeat.

I know many in this thread are sceptical about this nuke threat, but I'm not one of them ... because there are well-informed and credible people who say it's a real possibility and not just a scare-mongering rattling of sabres.

The Firestarter

I know many in this thread are sceptical about this nuke threat, but I'm not one of them ... because there are well-informed and credible people who say it's a real possibility and not just a scare-mongering rattling of sabres.
Is it your psychic friend?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
In an attempt to be fair to Macron (and others), I think his big concern is that Putin will resort to nukes if he has no off-ramp from this war and is forced into otherwise facing a humiliating and and total defeat.

While i'm not too concerned at the moment, it surely is a risk. What are the odds of Putin saying "well, they got the best of us, we'll quietly withraw and let them be"? None.

From my perspective, it'll either escalate so Putin can take a big win home, freeze for months/years until Putin dies or he'll be remove by force.

At the point, i'd go for option 2.

Rajma

Don’t think it’s a coincidence that both Macron/Scholz came out with a ceasefire comments right after talks with Putin, they’r again being useful iditios for Russia when it’s finally starting to be on the back foot in the war.

fellwin

Don’t think it’s a coincidence that both Macron/Scholz came out with a ceasefire comments right after talks with Putin, they’r again being useful iditios for Russia when it’s finally starting to be on the back foot in the war.

Didnt US Call for a ceasefire as well? But I guess you picked the ones that suited your agenda.

You can be against ceasefire, but surely everyone would be in favor Russia stopping their attacks.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

I’m not sure how you expect the Russian occupation of any country’s territory to be “working”?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Didnt US Call for a ceasefire as well? But I guess you picked the ones that suited your agenda.

You can be against ceasefire, but surely everyone would be in favor Russia stopping their attacks.
The question really is why you want a ceasefire. I am absolutely in favour of one that allows the Russians to retreat behind their border without the need to fight back while being on the run.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The question really is why you want a ceasefire. I am absolutely in favour of one that allows the Russians to retreat behind their border without the need to fight back while being on the run.
Google tells me it's legal in the US to bet on the Queen dying. I don't think it's fair that Brits should spend 25 years in jail for a tasteless bet. Y'all sure are attached to your magic leaders.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I’m not sure how you expect the Russian occupation of any country’s territory to be “working”?
Dombas wasn't occupied by Russia since 2014. The likely fueled and organized the separatists but that's it.