Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Lukashenko enjoying his most beloved hobby: Trolling Putin

If you read between the lines he is essentially saying: "Look Wladimir, I had some trouble, a few thousand people left, but they all realized they were wrong and came back. And now up to 50,000 of your people came into my country and I have to decide what to do with them, because everyone likes me and everyone hates you"
:lol:

May as well been Larry David doing the talking.

frostbite

I don't know how many of you follow the channel of Niki Proshin. I have watched a few of his videos because he shows what is happening in St Petersburg. It seems he left Russia today.

Another blogger, Natasha, also left a few days ago.

The third Russian blogger I follow, "1420", is still in Russia.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't know how many of you follow the channel of Niki Proshin. I have watched a few of his videos because he shows what is happening in St Petersburg. It seems he left Russia today.

Istanbul and Baku. At least the first guy isn't going to get smacked on the street.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
How many billions has the US already put in as aid? I am certain orange cnuty will start spewing about it soon if not already.
Pleasantly surprising that Mitch McConnell is pro-Ukraine, so even if the Democrats lose Congress, aid will continue.

Last edited:

frostbite

"A report drawn up by an international working group on sanctions concluded Russia should now be declared a “state sponsor of terrorism” and had reached the legal definition of a terrorist state under US and Canadian law. The head of the Office of the Ukrainian Presidency, Andriy Yermak, called for sweeping American and European sanctions in light of the report, after Ukraine accused Russia of sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08ef7e8107c54c#block-6334fc128f08ef7e8107c54c

Beans

Supports
Neutral
"A report drawn up by an international working group on sanctions concluded Russia should now be declared a “state sponsor of terrorism” and had reached the legal definition of a terrorist state under US and Canadian law. The head of the Office of the Ukrainian Presidency, Andriy Yermak, called for sweeping American and European sanctions in light of the report, after Ukraine accused Russia of sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08ef7e8107c54c#block-6334fc128f08ef7e8107c54c
Zeihan says if this happens it means "anyone doing any business with Russia would be subject to sanctions", so a lot is at stake. The West has been reluctant to remove Russia from markets entirely, they have a lot of resources the world needs, especially for electric engines for cars.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Environmental movement as countries are forced to burn coal and resume nuclear, and expand it, and if the materials needed for electric engines become prohibitively expensive. We badly need better tech in this area.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

I really like following 1420, has he said what he's doing about mobilisation?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
This is so weird.

Surely the pipeline is an asset for Russia, if things get bad in Europe they might be forced to buy Russian energy. If it's there it can tempt people, if energy prices go up in the winter dissenting voices will call for using the pipeline, now that won't happen.

I know Russia is burning gas they can't sell, they're out of storage, and if they don't vent or burn the gas I believe the pressure will destroy the pipe and the well, requiring redrilling.

"As Europe's energy costs skyrocket, Russia is burning off large amounts of natural gas, according to analysis shared with BBC News.
They say the plant, near the border with Finland, is burning an estimated $10m (£8.4m) worth of gas every day.
Experts say the gas would previously have been exported to Germany.
Germany's ambassador to the UK told BBC News that Russia was burning the gas because "they couldn't sell it elsewhere"."
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62652133

Will this leak mean no more burning? Did they decide to turn it into a problem for Europe?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
This is so weird.

Surely the pipeline is an asset for Russia, if things get bad in Europe they might be forced to buy Russian energy. If it's there it can tempt people, if energy prices go up in the winter dissenting voices will call for using the pipeline, now that won't happen.

I know Russia is burning gas they can't sell, they're out of storage, and if they don't vent or burn the gas I believe the pressure will destroy the pipe and the well, requiring redrilling.

"As Europe's energy costs skyrocket, Russia is burning off large amounts of natural gas, according to analysis shared with BBC News.
They say the plant, near the border with Finland, is burning an estimated $10m (£8.4m) worth of gas every day.
Experts say the gas would previously have been exported to Germany.
Germany's ambassador to the UK told BBC News that Russia was burning the gas because "they couldn't sell it elsewhere"."
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62652133

Will this leak mean no more burning? Did they decide to turn it into a problem for Europe?
It might also be Putin thinking he don't want any of his own people thinking "let's get rid of Putin and start selling gas again".

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It might also be Putin thinking he don't want any of his own people thinking "let's get rid of Putin and start selling gas again".
Good.

I am already anticipating that the moment there is a truce, Germany will start the "we now need to rehabilitate Russia into global society" BS discourse.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Good.

I am already anticipating that the moment there is a truce, Germany will start the "we now need to rehabilitate Russia into global society" BS discourse.
Well yes of course there will be, should be and arguably already has to be. The world needs to give Russia a perspective how to be integrated again, similar to like Germany was after WW2. After WW1 the opposite happened and then WW2 happened...

Obviously that has to require Russia to take responsibility for the atrocities and damage done, but we should make this offer to prevent them from becoming the next North Korea, for the sake of humanity. A heavily sanctioned fascist regime which hates the rest of the world and sits on a huge amount of nuclear weapons isn't what I want to see in the future.

Rajma

Well yes of course there will be, should be and arguably already has to be. The world needs to give Russia a perspective how to be integrated again, similar to like Germany was after WW2. After WW1 the opposite happened and then WW2 happened...

Obviously that has to require Russia to take responsibility for the atrocities and damage done, but we should make this offer to prevent them from becoming the next North Korea, for the sake of humanity. A heavily sanctioned fascist regime which hates the rest of the world and sits on a huge amount of nuclear weapons isn't what I want to see in the future.
Overall I agree but we should lay out our hard requirements to them first for any talks about reintegration to be a possibility. Make it clear that full denuclearization, desovietization, imperialist derusization, and war reparations are pre-requisites for the support we decide to provide to any Russian opposition if they want to work with the west again. Then and only then can we talk about it seriously…

RedRover

I would suspect the pipes can be fixed relatively "easily" from a costs perspective at least, given the value of the product.

The Firestarter

Yes, however after ww2 Germany capitulated and was occupied so all the reintegration was closely monitored for decades. Since here this would be impossible, it shouldn't really be a given that they should be easily reintegrate, especially with the same leadership. It would be the equivalent of Hitler making peace with the west, and reaching a standstill with the USSR , then resuming eventually trade with the rest of the world.

Fascist regimes need to be completely eradicated for any recovery to begin.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yes, however after ww2 Germany capitulated and was occupied so all the reintegration was closely monitored for decades. Since here this would be impossible, it shouldn't really be a given that they should be easily reintegrate, especially with the same leadership. It would be the equivalent of Hitler making peace with the west, and reaching a standstill with the USSR , then resuming eventually trade with the rest of the world.

Fascist regimes need to be completely eradicated for any recovery to begin.
Seeing as @stefan92 mentioned the pre-required Russian's admittance of it's crimes against Ukraine, it's pretty obvious that that scenario simply doesn't happen with the same leadership still in place, be it Putin himself of his direct successor with the same views on the matter. The reintegration should happen (both for Russia and the rest of the world's sakes) but only after the regime change and the full admittance of Russia's responsibility for everything that happened (and the steps taken to compensate Ukraine for the damage done). If Putin is still alive in this hypothetical scenario, the admittance of those crimes would be immediately followed by him being sent straight to Hague.

The Firestarter

Seeing as @stefan92 mentioned the pre-required Russian's admittance of it's crimes against Ukraine, it's pretty obvious that that scenario simply doesn't happen with the same leadership still in place, be it Putin himself of his direct successor with the same views on the matter. The reintegration should happen (both for Russia and the rest of the world's sakes) but only after the regime change and the full admittance of Russia's responsibility for everything that happened (and the steps taken to compensate Ukraine for the damage done). If Putin is still alive in this hypothetical scenario, the admittance of those crimes would be immediately followed by him being sent straight to Hague.
Yet he wrote
A heavily sanctioned fascist regime which hates the rest of the world and sits on a huge amount of nuclear weapons isn't what I want to see in the future.
Which to me looks like the same regime would still be in place

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Washington recognized Israeli annexation of the Golan Heights less than four years ago.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yet he wrote

Which to me looks like the same regime would still be in place
Actually @harms understood what I meant. I don't want to see the current fascist regime stay in power and therefore the world should give the Russians some motivation to get rid of it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Washington recognized Israeli annexation of the Golan Heights less than four years ago.
Fair point. Israel-Palestine is a basket case of a situation and the West are a disgrace everyday over it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Fair point. Israel-Palestine is a basket case of a situation and the West are a disgrace everyday over it.
In this case it's Israel-Syria, not strictly a Palestinian issue. But it will surely be pointed to by Moscow as an example of Western hypocrisy.

The Firestarter

Actually @harms understood what I meant. I don't want to see the current fascist regime stay in power and therefore the world should give the Russians some motivation to get rid of it.
This is a pipe dream though, a leader even if its not Putin that gives back annexed territories . Its not happening.