Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

demetre

"Russia launched 70 missiles at Ukraine on Thursday, 47 of which were intercepted, the Ukrainian Armed Forces said in its daily operational update on Facebook.

Moscow's forces also carried out 44 airstrikes, including 18 using Iranian-made Shahed-136 drones. All self-detonating drones were shot down, the Ukrainian Armed Forces said." - CNN
You don't need to quote CNN, I have watched his update myself and he said 59.

The United

You don't need to quote CNN, I have watched his update myself and he said 59.
Because you asked where people got it from. It said there that it was from UAF's facebook.

That was the point. Maybe you could go there and see it to clear it up as I have no idea how to get there myself.

Last edited:

The United

It includes Iranian drones, which were all shot down.
Even so, the intercepted figure should go up. It won't be stopped at 47.

The article also stated that as airstrikes and all shot down. If 23 missiles went through, the damages would be pretty bad and 11 people already died from those.

demetre

Because you asked where people got it from. It said there that it was from UAF's facebook.

That was the point. Maybe you could go there and see it to clear it up as I have no idea how to get there myself.
Yeah I've seen CNN and UAF's facebook and it does say 70. It's just that both of them are quoting the speaker who said 59 in that address, so it's weird to me where 70 came from.
Around 80% - 85% of AA success rate is about average for latest missile attacks and I haven't heard about a lot of objects being destroyed, so I think there's some mistake there in reporting.

Simbo

Yeah I've seen CNN and UAF's facebook and it does say 70. It's just that both of them are quoting the speaker who said 59 in that address, so it's weird to me where 70 came from.
Around 80% - 85% of AA success rate is about average for latest missile attacks and I haven't heard about a lot of objects being destroyed, so I think there's some mistake there in reporting.
Just looks like some reporters are counting the drones as missiles, but then not counting them in the shot down total. Even different CNN reporters saying different things.

Rajma

Even so, the intercepted figure should go up. It won't be stopped at 47.

The article also stated that as airstrikes and all shot down. If 23 missiles went through, the damages would be pretty bad and 11 people already died from those.
The article has it all messed up, 47 out of 55 missiles, the rest of it were the drones that were gunned down. 8 missiles have gone through AD out of which 2 were hypersonic (they’re defenseless against these).

The United

Yup, it also put that "substantial damage to Ukraine's power grid" on their headline.

Isn't the number people of dead getting higher with these attacks recently? Or I may fail to recall the number correctly in the earlier attacks after once UA got a lot of AA systems.

Last edited:

demetre

Yup, it also put that "substantial damage to Ukraine's power grid" on their headline.

Isn't the number people dead getting higher with these attacks recently? Or I may fail to recall the number correctly in the earlier attacks after once UA got a lot of AA systems.
I think any damage to our power grid is substantial at this point. But all regions went back to scheduled power distribution today, so I guess it wasn't THAT bad.

There were a lot of dead civilians when they hit a residential building in Dnipro two weeks ago. Maybe not to that extent, but they hit regular houses almost every time there's a massive missile attack.

The United

I think any damage to our power grid is substantial at this point. But all regions went back to scheduled power distribution today, so I guess it wasn't THAT bad.

There were a lot of dead civilians when they hit a residential building in Dnipro two weeks ago. Maybe not to that extent, but they hit regular houses almost every time there's a massive missile attack.
I see. My concern was that if they were deliberately (more so than usual) targeting stuff that were a lot closer to the civilians now to maximize any potential of hitting civilians by accident or by AA system itself.

demetre

I see. My concern was that if they were deliberately (more so than usual) targeting stuff that were a lot closer to the civilians now to maximize any potential of hitting civilians by accident or by AA system itself.
I don't think they really care if it's close to civilians or not...

The United

That's funny. I recently went back to Burma, whose coup leaders are trying to position themselves, with Putin nowadays. Their people talked to me about how democracy failed (I don't think they understood what they were saying with their own examples, anyway). I asked, "Well, yeah, the system was far from perfect, but would you like to go to Russia or even North Korea then?"

They all went silent.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Some important additions: Germany will not only deliver 14 Leopard 2, but alongside them also 2 Bergepanzer 3 Büffel, an armoured recovery vehicle based on the Leopard 2 and able to deal with the heavy western tanks that are going to be delivered. Without such devices Ukraine would be in big trouble if one of those tanks has a mechanical failure or gets stuck for other reasons. (Germany has delivered 15 units of the older Bergepanzer 2, but that's really on its limits if it has to deal with a Leopard 2, it was based and designed for the much lighter Leopard 1). I still feel like Ukraine has a gap regarding heavy ARVs and I hope that they will get more alongside the tank deliveries of other countries to improve their effectiveness in battle.

And also Germany will provide 90 HX81 tank transport trucks (the first units of that already arrived in Ukraine this week). Also important for logistics now, as Leopard, Challenger and Abrams (and Leclerk, should it be provided) are much heavier than the so far used T-series tanks. Ukraine needs more capacity for these heavy units (the only system in that weight region they got so far is the PzH 2000)

The United

Both sides are probably convinced that they are weakening the other's combat capability for a wasteland regardless of the political significant of this place. I hope the UA side is right about that.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is this the first time that North Korea has said this openly since the invasion?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
"Ribbentrop in a skirt".

Even if she said it more by accident than on purpose, Baerbock stating that "we are at war with Russia" really has some fun implications for Russian propaganda. During the whole time of the war we have seen them making statements like "If Germany (or any other state) does X, they will be at war with Russia and if they are at war with us, we will destroy them!". And then everyone did whatever X was at the time and they just changed to the next X, so Russia doesn't really have to declare war on NATO.

In a way this is over now - we have a German minister shown on Russian TV saying that "We (=Germany/EU/NATO) are at war with Russia." And Putin/Russia doesn't do anything about it, as they didn't all the time so far. I'd be interested in some insight if this starts to make Putin appearing weak inside Russia? Maybe @harms notices something (btw, hope you are still alright)?

MoskvaRed

"Ribbentrop in a skirt".

So much projection. In “Life and Fate’, Grossman wrote that the sword of antisemitism had passed from Hitler to Stalin. The Goons on Russian state TV seem keen to pick up the mantle of the Third Reich.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Even if she said it more by accident than on purpose, Baerbock stating that "we are at war with Russia" really has some fun implications for Russian propaganda. During the whole time of the war we have seen them making statements like "If Germany (or any other state) does X, they will be at war with Russia and if they are at war with us, we will destroy them!". And then everyone did whatever X was at the time and they just changed to the next X, so Russia doesn't really have to declare war on NATO.

In a way this is over now - we have a German minister shown on Russian TV saying that "We (=Germany/EU/NATO) are at war with Russia." And Putin/Russia doesn't do anything about it, as they didn't all the time so far. I'd be interested in some insight if this starts to make Putin appearing weak inside Russia? Maybe @harms notices something (btw, hope you are still alright)?
The main line right now is that Russia is already at war with NATO — I think Putin has said it and his goons certainly did. But I don’t think that Putin himself openly threatened Europe like the likes of Solovyov did.

So it’s not like you can caught him on a lie this time… and it’s not like catching Putin on a lie does anything — he has lied openly so many times before.

Rajma

Watch what these savages have done to what used to be the town of Mariinka near Donetsk:

RedDevilQuebecois

Bwahahahahaha!!!

Cuba has connections with other Spanish-speaking countries while keeping a (very) low profile in the news. It helps when dozens of millions speak Spanish all over the continent too, which is not the case with Russian-speaking people outside of Russia.

North Korea... pffft! The regular folks are starving to death while the higher-ups are obese-level of fat. Good example to preach.

Iran... Have those pundits not seen how people are going mad after the regime over there?