Russian War Crimes in Ukraine

Denis79

Possible chlorine gas? as I think technically this isn't covered as a chemical weapon and therefore probably won't be a red line for nato?
feckers always get away when using chemical weapons sadly. Same as when the Turks used them in Syria. It's seems to be hard to prove.

RedDevilQuebecois

Now THAT is really fecked up. Female partners of those soldiers are basically condoning rape of Ukrainian women.

There is the Uniform Code of Military Justice in the US, and the JAG are very serious at their job of investigating and prosecuting. How can one explain there does not seem to be such thing in the Russian Army? You would think those Russian troops would not look so out of place in African armies with their horrible record of wartime rapes either.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What the feck is wrong with these people?
Don’t be surprised to later learn Russian troops were instructed to rape at their leisure as a means to terrorize inhabitants of a country Putin doesn’t acknowledge exists. If he’s willing to carpet bomb civilians then he’s more than willing to allow his Soldiers to rape and otherwise do as they please to Ukrainians.

Yet another reason why the Ukrainians must win this war.

Carolina Red

Staff
Don’t be surprised to later learn Russian troops were instructed to rape at their leisure as a means to terrorize inhabitants of a country Putin doesn’t acknowledge exists. If he’s willing to carpet bomb civilians then he’s more than willing to allow his Soldiers to rape and otherwise do as they please to Ukrainians.

Yet another reason why the Ukrainians must win this war.
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if that was a direct order from him. I just mean on a psychological level. The soldiers, that woman, etc. 1) How the hell do you rape a woman / child at gun point? 2) How the hell do you not immediately kill yourself if you do?

RedDevilQuebecois

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if that was a direct order from him. I just mean on a psychological level. The soldiers, that woman, etc. 1) How the hell do you rape a woman / child at gun point? 2) How the hell do you not immediately kill yourself if you do?
3) How can you live with yourself as a woman knowing that your man has serious problems controlling his violent urges and is going this far?

That is what irked me the most. Whoever that soldier and his woman are, they have a lot of bad wirings in their heads.

NotThatSoph

[As a separate point, why have all the latest developments about the war unfolding in Kramatorsk now been moved here? It’s getting more and more difficult to keep track of any discussion. I appreciate this discussion now being here, but not the Kramatorsk updates.]
What catalysed this thread was a medium length discussion about the legitimacy of talking about alleged Ukranian war crimes. Before that happened the Invasion thread was full of Russian war crimes with no issue. If people were allowed to even mention particular allegations, or just say that war crimes are bad irrespective of who's behind them, without being accused of providing false balance or excusing Russian war crimes, then this thread very likely would never have been created and we could still read about the endless stream of Russian war crimes in the invasion thread, with the added consequence of having to read about one or two Ukranian ones that are also dwarfed in size and seriousness. You accusing @Smores of "having proved themselves" is a prime example. Yes, you apologized, but it's not like it's an isolated incident. Reading over what I've just written it looks more confrontational that I think I intend, so I'll add: if the reaction to a particular allegation against a National Corps wing of the Azov Battalion was "that's bad" and "lets see if it's real" instead of "why are you even mentioning this" and "the Russians are worse" (duh) and "this is obvious Russian propaganda", then this would never have happened. After all, this is (I think?) one of only two serious accusations against the Ukranian army, and no one cares about the second one.

And I wholly agree, it's absurd that this thread even exists. The offered rationale was that it was cluttering the thread and people wanted to use the invasion thread for updates about the war. That makes no sense. For one war crimes happening is updates about what's happening in the war, and for two people obviously don't want to use the invasion thread for just updates. The majority of the thread is probably people playing armchair generals and mindless chit-chat. Right now on the last few pages we can read jokes about the Moskva that looks to have been hit, some talk about possible pollution from a warhead lost at sea, and the legitimacy of Germans getting offended by Ukranian insults. None of these are updates about the invasion, and this is with a few big things happening so there's less off topic stuff than usual. Even Germany's reliance on Russian gas is at best tangentially related to the war compared to war crimes happening in the war.

This thread is reducing the visibility of many atrocities inflicted by the Russian army, because this thread is less popular by far, and I don't get it.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
What catalysed this thread was a medium length discussion about the legitimacy of talking about alleged Ukranian war crimes. Before that happened the Invasion thread was full of Russian war crimes with no issue. If people were allowed to even mention particular allegations, or just say that war crimes are bad irrespective of who's behind them, without being accused of providing false balance or excusing Russian war crimes, then this thread very likely would never have been created and we could still read about the endless stream of Russian war crimes in the invasion thread, with the added consequence of having to read about one or two Ukranian ones that are also dwarfed in size and seriousness. You accusing @Smores of "having proved themselves" is a prime example. Yes, you apologized, but it's not like it's an isolated incident. Reading over what I've just written it looks more confrontational that I think I intend, so I'll add: if the reaction to a particular allegation against a National Corps wing of the Azov Battalion was "that's bad" and "lets see if it's real" instead of "why are you even mentioning this" and "the Russians are worse" (duh) and "this is obvious Russian propaganda", then this would never have happened. After all, this is (I think?) one of only two serious accusations against the Ukranian army, and no one cares about the second one.

And I wholly agree, it's absurd that this thread even exists. The offered rationale was that it was cluttering the thread and people wanted to use the invasion thread for updates about the war. That makes no sense. For one war crimes happening is updates about what's happening in the war, and for two people obviously don't want to use the invasion thread for just updates. The majority of the thread is probably people playing armchair generals and mindless chit-chat. Right now on the last few pages we can read jokes about the Moskva that looks to have been hit, some talk about possible pollution from a warhead lost at sea, and the legitimacy of Germans getting offended by Ukranian insults. None of these are updates about the invasion, and this is with a few big things happening so there's less off topic stuff than usual. Even Germany's reliance on Russian gas is at best tangentially related to the war compared to war crimes happening in the war.

This thread is reducing the visibility of many atrocities inflicted by the Russian army, because this thread is less popular by far, and I don't get it.
Agree with this and also think moving posts here is a bad idea.

MTF

Agree.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

Spot on. This thread doesn’t make sense, neither did the accusations from posters about others mentioning Ukrainian war crimes either.

Simbo

While i do agree for the most part, the next time someone starts a discussion about alleged Ukranian war crimes, it will once again be responded to and clutter the thread.

NotThatSoph

While i do agree for the most part, the next time someone starts a discussion about alleged Ukranian war crimes, it will once again be responded to and clutter the thread.
Will it clutter it more than talk about fast food, barbeques, and what Redcafe users think of weapons, military strategy and geopolitics generally? American society, the Republican party, music, an athlete doing a nazi salute, Afghanistan, Greece, etc. I doubt it myself.

My gripe isn't that all talk about war crimes is directly relevant to the invasion, but that it's both generally more relevant than other stuff, and further that relevancy or cluttering is not a criteria used for other topics.

Simbo

Will it clutter it more than talk about fast food, barbeques, and what Redcafe users think of weapons, military strategy and geopolitics generally? American society, the Republican party, music, an athlete doing a nazi salute, Afghanistan, Greece, etc. I doubt it myself.

My gripe isn't that all talk about war crimes is directly relevant to the invasion, but that it's both generally more relevant than other stuff, and further that relevancy or cluttering is not a criteria used for other topics.
No it won't :shrug:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Time to merge this thread back into the other one and stop this arbitrary pointless divide.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Agree with much of what you say.

I did attempt to clarify my points around being vexxed at A) Ukraine being held to a naive and impossible expectation that no Ukrainian forces would commit any war crimes, and B) each possible, documented Ukrainian war crime getting a greatly disproportional amount of attention relatively to the uncountable amount being committed by Russian forces… but let’s not go over old ground again.

Carolina Red

Staff
Awful. This is another huge part of this terror campaign by the Russians… it isn’t just the people they kill, it’s the people they physically and mentally cripple, too. They’re creating a whole generation of Ukrainians whose childhood memories are gonna revolve around this invasion and what they did to them during it. How they could ever expect to rule over those people is beyond me.

Denis79

Awful. This is another huge part of this terror campaign by the Russians… it isn’t just the people they kill, it’s the people they physically and mentally cripple, too. They’re creating a whole generation of Ukrainians whose childhood memories are gonna revolve around this invasion and what they did to them during it. How they could ever expect to rule over those people is beyond me.
And this shit is far from over. I just hope as many people as possible have fled the eastern parts. Read an article about the war in Yemen where it's estimated over 10 000 children have died or been seriously injured. The Ukraine could easily become just as bad.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Current reports are probably only touching the surface :(, once the war is over a lot more will be revealed much like American army war crimes post invasions.

Russian army is particularly brutal though and what they are doing in Ukraine tallies up with their behaviours in previous wars.

War is sick and should have no place in the modern world.