Russian War Crimes in Ukraine

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
That’s one of the worst things I’ve ever read. How can one human do that to another? I just can’t comprehend it. I really hope they get what they deserve.
Have you ever seen a thread related to the worst things people have done to their Sims? The Russians are playing a wartime version of it.

We really shouldn’t be allowed.

Carolina Red

Staff
I wonder if those guys fought in Syria.

My uncle told me about seeing the aftermath of ISIS doing something similar in Iraq. Killed the kid, then put the body in the street in front of their house with a mine underneath. Apparently when the parents saw the body, they ran out to it and picked it up and were then also killed.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

My uncle told me about seeing the aftermath of ISIS doing something similar in Iraq. Killed the kid, then put the body in the street in front of their house with a mine underneath. Apparently when the parents saw the body, they ran out to it and picked it up and were then also killed.
Wow. So infuriating.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

There have been many cases of Russians doing so in Ukraine already.

One of the weirdest/most horrifying things that I’ve seen was a mined piano in kid’s room in Bucha. Her mother noticed that the awards were in a different order than usual. It can be fake but sounds believable.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The US media hasn't done a good job of exposing Russian sponsored fascism abroad. We're too focused on ourselves I guess. But we'll parrot the latest Kremlin statement like it's news, seems very stupid. I know more about Russian propaganda claims than I do what they've actually done.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

One of the weirdest/most horrifying things that I’ve seen was a mined piano in kid’s room in Bucha. Her mother noticed that the awards were in a different order than usual. It can be fake but sounds believable.

Killing young girls as they practice piano after the war ends is pretty mindboggling

Carolina Red

Staff

Because as everyone knows, the Ukrainian Nazis love a good piano tune.

frostbite

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08e646defaded7#block-628e78588f08e646defaded7

Maya Yang

The Associated Press and the PBS series “Frontline” have independently verified that Russia has destroyed or damaged at least 56 Ukrainian schools in a manner that indicates a possible war crime, the Associated Press reports.

The Ukrainian government says Russia has shelled more than 1,000 schools, destroying 95. The accounting likely represents just a fraction of potential war crimes committed during the conflict and the list is updated daily.

frostbite

‘Serious and imminent' risk of genocide in Ukraine – report

There is enough evidence to conclude that Russia is inciting genocide in Ukraine and committing atrocities intended to destroy the Ukrainian people, according to the first independent report into allegations of genocide committed by Russian troops in Ukraine.

More than 30 leading legal scholars and genocide experts have signed the report accusing the Russian state of violating several articles of the United Nations Genocide Convention, CNN reports.

The report calls on the international community to act, warning that there is “no time at all”. Ibrahim said:

Every country that is a signatory to the Genocide convention, and that’s 151 countries including the Russian Federation, every country has to do whatever it can to put a stop to this, otherwise they will also be in breach of the convention.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...082b0174c56cfb#block-6290bf778f082b0174c56cfb

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
‘Serious and imminent' risk of genocide in Ukraine – report

There is enough evidence to conclude that Russia is inciting genocide in Ukraine and committing atrocities intended to destroy the Ukrainian people, according to the first independent report into allegations of genocide committed by Russian troops in Ukraine.

More than 30 leading legal scholars and genocide experts have signed the report accusing the Russian state of violating several articles of the United Nations Genocide Convention, CNN reports.

The report calls on the international community to act, warning that there is “no time at all”. Ibrahim said:

Every country that is a signatory to the Genocide convention, and that’s 151 countries including the Russian Federation, every country has to do whatever it can to put a stop to this, otherwise they will also be in breach of the convention.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...082b0174c56cfb#block-6290bf778f082b0174c56cfb
The sad thing is that people, and countries, may lose interest. Irrespective of how many millions are deported and thousands are killed. This may well take years to resolve one way or another in terms of a conflict, and the UK is doing its best to take as few refugees as possible...

harms

Staff
This shows that even if the war ended today, the suffering of the Ukrainians under Russian occupation would not end.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61683513

Electrocution and beatings: The horrors of Russia's 'filtration'
I can’t say that it surprises me in any way, the same (and even more brutal) stuff happens at prisons & in police stations all across Russia on a systematic basis, just on a different scale.

But I can’t comprehend how someone can do that to other people and feel justified? I know that people have been asking this stupid question for thousands of years but I still can’t.

frostbite

I can’t say that it surprises me in any way, the same (and even more brutal) stuff happens at prisons & in police stations all across Russia on a systematic basis, just on a different scale.

But I can’t comprehend how someone can do that to other people and feel justified? I know that people have been asking this stupid question for thousands of years but I still can’t.
Unfortunately, Russia has a long tradition with torture of prisoners (terrible prisons under the tsars, then the gulags).

And unfortunately, after 1990 the torturers of the gulags were not prosecuted (as far as I know). At least some German Nazis were prosecuted after 1945, I have not read anything similar about the Russian torturers, so I guess there was no large scale formal condemnation of their practises (correct me if I am wrong because I may be misinformed on this).

harms

Staff
Unfortunately, Russia has a long tradition with torture of prisoners (terrible prisons under the tsars, then the gulags).

And unfortunately, after 1990 the torturers of the gulags were not prosecuted (as far as I know). At least some German Nazis were prosecuted after 1945, I have not read anything similar about the Russian torturers, so I guess there was no large scale formal condemnation of their practises (correct me if I am wrong because I may be misinformed on this).
Yeah, in general FSB feels very protective of KGB/NKVD legacy as their direct descendant. And the process of destalinisation never really happened even though it was announced in 1956, some victims were rehabilitated but almost no one responsible actually answered for their crimes. The archives are still secret and the only organization that was consistently investigating the crimes of Stalinism, “The Memorial Center” had been pronounced “unwanted”, a “foreign agent” and finally liquidated a few months back.

frostbite

There are Russian crimes in Ukraine. There are Russian crimes inside Russia. And the root of these crimes is that Russia never confronted the Soviet Era crimes... actually, many of the Soviet criminals became high ranking officials in their new so-called "democracy". One of this year's Nobel Peace Prize is Memorial... remarkable people, working under constant threat of their safety.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/2022/summary/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63929130

Nobel Peace Prize: Russian laureate 'told to turn down award'

The Russian co-winner of this year's Nobel Peace Prize has said Kremlin authorities told him to turn down the award.

Yan Rachinsky, who heads Memorial, said he was told not to accept the prize because the two other co-laureates - a Ukrainian human rights organisation and jailed Belarusian rights defender - were deemed "inappropriate".

Memorial is one of Russia's oldest civil rights groups, and was shut down by the government last year.