Alessia Russo | leaves United for Arsenal

madi5h

I’m afraid everything owned by Glazers have barcodes tattooed onto it.
will be interesting to see what happens when they finally sell, i could see new owners viewing some investment into the womens side as some easy goodwill earned for a relatively cheap price

phelans shorts

Doubt we’ll accept to be honest. Obviously Polly will know best the likelihood of her staying should we get Champions League, if they think she’ll go no matter we might just begrudgingly accept

TMS

I do wonder if this bid had come from a team abroad if it would have been accepted? Either way even the idea of the talks not being absolutely dead don’t sit well with me. The thought of selling a star player to a key rival should be a complete non-starter if you’re looking to send the right message to both the rest of the squad and the fans.

mu4c_20le

I do wonder if this bid had come from a team abroad if it would have been accepted? Either way even the idea of the talks not being absolutely dead don’t sit well with me. The thought of selling a star player to a key rival should be a complete non-starter if you’re looking to send the right message to both the rest of the squad and the fans.
Nowadays the players also have a say, especially with her contract situation. There's obviously interest from her side or things wouldn't get this far

Baneofthegame

Don't understand why we aren't tying her down to a new contract? I know our investment in the woman's team hasn't been great, but seems a no brainier to me.

brian017

James to Chelsea and now this. Can our rivals feck off nicking our players? It wouldn‘t happen in the mens game

RORY65

Nowadays the players also have a say, especially with her contract situation. There's obviously interest from her side or things wouldn't get this far
Yeah I wonder if this offer had come earlier with more time to find a replacement whether United might have been more open to discussions, you would have to imagine given that Arsenal have bid that her agents have put it out there that she's probably leaving this summer at the latest (at which stage we would get nothing) and they''ve tried to get in ahead of everyone else.

Don't understand why we aren't tying her down to a new contract? I know our investment in the woman's team hasn't been great, but seems a no brainier to me.
She was offered a new contract last year, obviously we don't know the terms of the offer, but she turned it down. I imagine if we make the Champions League then maybe that might give her more reason to stay but right now you would think it doesn't look good with regards to her staying past this season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Well if they're not spending monry on the mens team they're not going to do it with the womens!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Annoying this

Chelsea women have tried the same thing this week on Arsenal and have done it to direct rivals previously. Not just buying to strengthen themselves, but buying to weaken a rival, and sometimes buying tactically to win a particular trophy. Because the amounts involved are low compared to the men's game - any club with ambition of winning trophies can do it.

Dan_F

You would think that we could find an extra bit of cash after losing Ronaldo’s wages, it really wouldn’t take much of a signing on bonus I’d imagine.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You would think that we could find an extra bit of cash after losing Ronaldo’s wages, it really wouldn’t take much of a signing on bonus I’d imagine.
Did they lose his wages though? I doubt Ronaldo walked off in to the sunset with nothing

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Do we know if its us not offering what she's worth? Or her not wanting to stay.

Either way, it's annoying.

Dan_F

Did they lose his wages though? I doubt Ronaldo walked off in to the sunset with nothing
Yeah. I’m pretty sure we could have sued him for breach of contract in that interview, so I doubt he got anything out of us.

Regardless, with the top earners in the WSL at about £250-300k, it really should be pocket change, as I don’t see her getting that wage anywhere else.