Ruthless Strategy - 10 out, 10 in.

IrishRedDevil

In any underperforming business, to put an end to complacency, rot needs to be cut out. Ruthless changes are needed with no empathy. United needs to operate in the same manner this summer.

I feel that 3/4 new signings would be like putting a sticky plaster on a broken leg. A complete overhaul is needed. It will take time for the new team to gel, but surely that would be better than watching the current lot plod about the pitch.

Young - kicked out the door, contract terminated, locked away in a dark room. Whatever it takes to get him out.

Jones - please go away. He’s been here far too long.

Herrera - his head was turned by money offered by PSG, so good riddance.

Mata - released to any takers. Take his contract offer off the table.

Sanchez - offload him if possible. May need to subsidise his wages. Fingers crossed China can help us out.

Lingard - isn’t good enough for United, I don’t care if he’s an academy product. Man United players need to be able to score and assist goals.

Darmian - I don’t think anyone knows where he is anyway, so just keep ignoring him and hope he goes away.

Valencia - thankfully halfway out the door anyway. Shins around the country will no longer get bruised.

Rojo - bye. Rojo is not red.

De Gea - I never thought I would ever say this but if he really wants to go, sell him. Go and pay Oblak’s release clause. The 3 amigos out the door in one summer?

That’s 10 outgoing players that will need to be replaced with 8/9/10 new players. If this isn’t done, average players will remain at the club. Anything else will be a half-job.

Who am I missing?

Edit: update to say that I don't mean 10 new players. Part of the 10 incoming players can be made up of youth joining the squad such as Tuanzebe to replace Rojo.

10 out is the important first step. Get the rot cut out and the rebuild can be spread over a couple of windows.

Last edited:

caid

Half the players i'd want to get rid of in this kind of situation have had contracts extended recently. Basically agree though. I'd put all except about 3 players on the transfer list and take any decent offers that come in. We have no real playstyle, chemistry or winning mentality to disrupt. Too much of the squad has been present for 4 underachieving managers and its time for heads to roll tbh.

L1nk

Young - Pure garbage

Jones - A crap crock

Herrera - Basically gone to PSG

Mata - Not good enough anymore and we play him on the wing

Sanchez - Paid extortionate wages to do nothing, he's done absolutely nothing of note since coming here

Lingard - Genuinely the most bang average player in the squad who gets a pass because he's homegrown.

Darmian - Who?

Valencia - Gone

Rojo - Gone

Smalling - Would gladly get rid of him too

Bailly - A ghost apparently

Matic - Old and lumbering

Martial - Inconsistent as hell, will never fully live up to his hype

De Gea - Question marks over him for a while, no idea what's happened to him

Fred - Question marks still

Lindelof - Question marks still

Who would I keep

Rashford, Shaw, McTominay, Pogba (though i'll be honest I doubt he wants to)

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Theres a quote from William Faulkner,

"In writing, you have to kill your darlings."

Basically get rid of anything that doesn't add to your story, no matter how much you like the piece of writing.

I'm thinking that's how we need to think now with a lot of these players.

Stepney73

Under this mob of parasites we will lucky to get 3 players in.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd be super happy with 10 out. Wouldn't need 10 in. 10 out, 5 in. Give youth a chance. It's not like we'll seriously challenge next season.

Infra-red

It will be 3 or 4 in and about the same out. These massive clearouts never happen.

Most of the starting XI next season will be the same players.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Out:

Young
Darmian
Lingard
Valencia
Jones
Matic
Lukaku
Sanchez
Rojo
Herrera

In:

Literally anyone else

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah good luck with that. Not under these owners and maybe not under this manager.

hobbers

Birdshit boy
Darmian
Valencia
Rojo
Jones
Lingard
Mata
Herrera
Sanchez

Obviously Birdshit and Lingard won't be leaving, not this summer at least, but we can dream.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

Its such a weird situation we’re in. We have squad depth but they’re all fecking useless in some way, whether it be incompatible with the desired style of play or just not good enough. I really don’t give a shit if the likes of Mata and Herrera leave at this point to be honest. Herreras pretty much gone anyway. That quad injury is about as real as 2Pac being alive somewhere.

edgecutter

I can't see us replacing that many players unless we are going to promote some youth, but ole has to give them some minutes to assess if they can make the leap.

If we can get 4 first team players int thatwill be a successful summer and stop rewarding mediocre players.

Mcking

World class players with an average manager is not much better than a top manager with average players. We need a top coach that is as good as the ones that manage the teams we aspire to better.

Raw

We don't need 10 in to be honest. There's too many players in this squad that sit around earning money for doing nothing.

This summer we should be aiming for at least 5 new first team players.

IrishMcD

There is absolutely no player I'd fight to keep at the minute, that is a horrible thought. De Gea seems to want to leave, as does Pogba and Luke Shaw and Dalot are probably the only other first teamers I'd be sad to see go...
Everyone else, I'd gladly see the back of, none of them are or will ever be elite players. Over hyped, over paid and not talented enough

Josep Dowling

Young - Pure garbage

Jones - A crap crock

Herrera - Basically gone to PSG

Mata - Not good enough anymore and we play him on the wing

Sanchez - Paid extortionate wages to do nothing, he's done absolutely nothing of note since coming here

Lingard - Genuinely the most bang average player in the squad who gets a pass because he's homegrown.

Darmian - Who?

Valencia - Gone

Rojo - Gone

Smalling - Would gladly get rid of him too

Bailly - A ghost apparently

Matic - Old and lumbering

Martial - Inconsistent as hell, will never fully live up to his hype

De Gea - Question marks over him for a while, no idea what's happened to him

Fred - Question marks still

Lindelof - Question marks still

Who would I keep

Rashford, Shaw, McTominay, Pogba (though i'll be honest I doubt he wants to)
Harsh on Lindelof. I think he’s been our best CB this season.

I’d agree with the rest. You hope Martial comes good but he’s 23 next season. Consistency needs to come into his game now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  • Romero
  • Grant
  • Bailly
  • Rojo
  • Young
  • Darmian
  • Valencia
  • Matic
  • Pogba
  • Herrera
  • Mata
  • Pereira
  • Sanchez
  • Lukaku
De Gea is a strong maybe too, but I'd put money on each of the above not being at the club by the start of the 2021/22 season.

AndyJ1985

The thought of getting rid of 10 players is more exciting than the thought of buying 10 new players

Dinghy

Out:

Mata
Herrera
Smalling
Rojo
Darmian
Young
Valencia
McTominay
Bailly
Lingard

In:

Rabiot
Sancho
Fernandes
Meunier
Maguire
(Tuanzebe)

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Harsh on Lindelof. I think he’s been our best CB this season.

I’d agree with the rest. You hope Martial comes good but he’s 23 next season. Consistency needs to come into his game now.
Yeah Lindelof is good enough, at the very least for a squad player.

Inconsistent is too generous for Martial. He seems to have about 3 good games, we all get excited then back to average again for the whole season.

Schmeichel=God

In any underperforming business, to put an end to complacency, rot needs to be cut out. Ruthless changes are needed with no empathy. United needs to operate in the same manner this summer.

Will never happen with Ed in charge and with the current structure this club has.

I feel that 3/4 new signings would be like putting a sticky plaster on a broken leg. A complete overhaul is needed. It will take time for the new team to gel, but surely that would be better than watching the current lot plod about the pitch.

Absolutely. Those 3 or 4 players will probably be more in a long line of underwhelmers.

Young - kicked out the door, contract terminated, locked away in a dark room. Whatever it takes to get him out. yes

Jones - please go away. He’s been here far too long. we need home grown squad players

Herrera - his head was turned by money offered by PSG, so good riddance. can you blame him? what's his faith in Ed & co to fix this debacle

Mata - released to any takers. The 3 amigos out the door in one summer. Take his contract offer off the table. suppose so

Sanchez - offload him if possible. May need to subsidise his wages. Fingers crossed China can help us out. china...we love you

Lingard - isn’t good enough for United, I don’t care if he’s an academy product. Man United players need to be able to score and assist goals. see Jones reasoning. he's had a terrible season. he gets a final chance.

Darmian - I don’t think anyone knows where he is anyway, so just keep ignoring him and hope he goes away. Darmian? who's he again...we still trying to get a fee for this phantom player?

Valencia - thankfully halfway out the door anyway. Shins around the country will no longer get bruised. yes

Rojo - bye. yes

De Gea - I never thought I would ever say this but if he really wants to go, sell him. Go and pay Oblak’s release clause ta ta

That’s 10 outgoing players that will need to be replaced with 8/9/10 new players. If this isn’t done, average players will remain at the club. Anything else will be a half-job.

Who am I missing?
You are missing Lukaku and Bailly.

El-Manos

I would keep Lukaku for now. Rojo, Jones, Darmian, Young, Valencia, Matic, Mata can go.

Josep Dowling

Yeah Lindelof is good enough, at the very least for a squad player.

Inconsistent is too generous for Martial. He seems to have about 3 good games, we all get excited then back to average again for the whole season.
Haha true. Has been absolute shite since his contract was extended.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Rob Ajax. As many as we can get. No way do 10 go in and out though never going to happen.
They will come here, be so-so, go back to Ajax and shine. The problem lies deeper. Nobody in his sanity would've claimed before the season they had the better squad. De Ligt, though...

binary bot
The squad management this summer will dictate how much time supporters give Ole. Mata, Herrera, Valencia and Darmian look as good as gone. Sanchez, Rojo and Lukaku will be difficult to shift. Providing the money is right De Gea and Pogba should be given the choice. Bailly should be easy to sell.

Player's I'm content with keeping:

De Gea
Romero

Dalot - squad player/potential
Shaw - starter
Smalling - potential starter with new CB
Lindelof - potential starter with new CB
Jones - backup

Fred - potential starter
McTominay - squad player/potential
Lingard - squad player
Pogba - starter
Matic - backup

Rashford - starter
Martial - squad/potential starter

De Gea
New RB - New CB - Smalling/Lindelof - Shaw
New CM - Fred - Pogba
New RW - New ST - Martial/Rashford

Roboc7

It’s what should happen over next two summers but it won’t, they’ll stick to same way of running things. The new contracts being dished out means that process is all well under way. The last six years will be repeated and this is our new reality until there are fundamental changes at the club.

Josep Dowling

They will come here, be so-so, go back to Ajax and shine. The problem lies deeper. Nobody in his sanity would've claimed before the season they had the better squad. De Ligt, though...
They have system from the bottom to the top. We don’t have that and haven’t done for a while. Their entire football club is run by football men, simple as that.

Josep Dowling

The squad management this summer will dictate how much time supporters give Ole. Mata, Herrera, Valencia and Darmian look as good as gone. Sanchez, Rojo and Lukaku will be difficult to shift. Providing the money is right De Gea and Pogba should be given the choice. Bailly should be easy to sell.

Player's I'm content with keeping:

De Gea
Romero

Dalot - squad player/potential
Shaw - starter
Smalling - potential starter with new CB
Lindelof - potential starter with new CB
Jones - backup

Fred - potential starter
McTominay - squad player/potential
Lingard - squad player
Pogba - starter
Matic - backup

Rashford - starter
Martial - squad/potential starter

De Gea
New RB - New CB - Smalling/Lindelof - Shaw
New CM - Fred - Pogba
New RW - New ST - Martial/Rashford
Completely agree.

IrishRedDevil

Probably a strange thing to say, but I don’t feel like I have a connection with many of the players.

I like Shaw, Pogba, De Gea, Martial and Rashford, but that’s about it. That’s why I think I wouldn’t care if we just dumped 10 players in one window.

Infra-red

There's no quick fix here. It's a total rebuild that will take years (and probably 2-3 managers).

AndyJ1985

Probably a strange thing to say, but I don’t feel like I have a connection with many of the players.

I like Shaw, Pogba, De Gea, Martial and Rashford, but that’s about it. That’s why I think I wouldn’t care if we just dumped 10 players in one window.
Out of the handful of players you like I find it strange you've chosen martial and Pogba. Those two have terrible attitudes

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You can't get rid of players that have just signed bumper new contracts. We already know how the next season will go because we are stuck with a lot of these players.

Patrick08

You can't get rid of players that have just signed bumper new contracts. We already know how the next season will go because we are stuck with a lot of these players.
The players who are finished are the problem.

IrishRedDevil

Out of the handful of players you like I find it strange you've chosen martial and Pogba. Those two have terrible attitudes
I’m questioning it myself.

I think Pogba is a top player but we aren’t getting to see it enough for whatever reason in such a dysfunctional team.

I still hold hope (blind faith) that Martial can push on and reach the heights we all thought he would a few years ago.

I wouldn’t want to see them sold as I think they would both flourish in other teams, perhaps that’s my problem.