RVP

Foxbatt

Where would the fans put RVP in Fergie's last year? How good was he compared to past strikers?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Where would the fans put RVP in Fergie's last year? How good was he compared to past strikers?
A few have had great individual seasons: Yorke in 98/99, RvN in 2002/3, Rooney in 2009/10. Cantona from January onwards in 95/96 was incredibly influential and almost single handedly won the double for us.

It's a testament to just how brilliant RvP was for that one season for me to think it was the best I've seen from any of our strikers. Especially when he was playing in possibly the weakest United side out of all of those other eras.

He was sensationally good.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He was awesome defensively and offensively. Clearing lots of corners I remember. Went through that dry spell mid season but came back after scoring a penalty iirc. Scored some fantastic key goals and a hat trick vs Southampton. His debut goal at Old Traford. Goal vs Wigan. Obviously that hatrick against villa to clinch the title, including that unbelievable volley.

He was as good a player as I've seen that played for United in my 20 years of following the club. Like Sir Alex said, if you don't find RvP, you won't play. That sentiment just shows you what impact he made. Almost single handedly won us the 20th.

Foxbatt

He was awesome defensively and offensively. Clearing lots of corners I remember. Went through that dry spell mid season but came back after scoring a penalty iirc. Scored some fantastic key goals and a hat trick vs Southampton. His debut goal at Old Traford. Goal vs Wigan. Obviously that hatrick against villa to clinch the title, including that unbelievable volley.

He was as good a player as I've seen that played for United in my 20 years of following the club. Like Sir Alex said, if you don't find RvP, you won't play. That sentiment just shows you what impact he made. Almost single handedly won us the 20th.
That was a fantastic quote by Rio I agree. I think that year he was the best we have had as a striker. What surprised me was that he could score all kinds of goals and he took the corners too. I am sure he would have scored more if he didn't take the corners. He also did a Bergkamp and did a flick behind and yes the goal came because it got a deflection but his flick around the defender and getting the ball was fantastic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
RVP made SAF last campaign memorable not only because it was our last league title but also because he was the last major consistent Star performer we had.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That was a fantastic quote by Rio I agree. I think that year he was the best we have had as a striker. What surprised me was that he could score all kinds of goals and he took the corners too. I am sure he would have scored more if he didn't take the corners. He also did a Bergkamp and did a flick behind and yes the goal came because it got a deflection but his flick around the defender and getting the ball was fantastic.
Our football wasn't actually that great from what I remember but watching RvP was fantastic. He was just a cut above the rest it was clear to see.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Our football wasn't actually that great from what I remember but watching RvP was fantastic. He was just a cut above the rest it was clear to see.
Indeed. Our football wasn't great and individually we were a mixed bag outside of RVP and Carrick.
I think even then,with SAF or not, United needed a major shake-up in the upcoming summer transfer window.

Handré1990

Always rated him, but I had no idea how good he was before he came to us. He had it all, and besides Ronaldo’s ballon d’or season, maybe the best season I’ve witnessed by one of our players. Still think he’d be brilliant for a couple of seasons more if SAF hadn’t retired.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I loved him. That season imo, he was best no9 in Europe.
My favourite goal was;

That technique is just wow. (and Giggsy's assist is not that bad either ;) )

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Good enough that we owe our last title to him. We were running on fumes by then in my opinion, we'd been declining since 2009. Him coming in meant we were able to squeeze the last drops out of our ageing spine, and paper over those cracks a little longer.

Chabon

We built the entire team around his goalscoring, and actually arguably went backwards as a result, but you can't say he didn't take the mantle thrust upon him and run with it. One of the four or five great individual seasons for us in the PL years, made to look even better by how consistently shite we've been ever since. It also helps when you win the league, whereas in Rooney's best seasons (in both of which he matched RVP's 26 league goals) we fell just short, so they're not exactly looked back on fondly.

Handré1990

I loved him. That seasin imo, he was best no9 in Europe.
My favourite goal was;

Brilliant goal. It always puzzled me how he seems to pick up his pace and just glide past the defender once the ball falls onto his feet :lol:

OleBoiii

I loved him. That season imo, he was best no9 in Europe.
My favourite goal was;

My favorite RVP goal as well. It's our very own "Dennis Bergkamp moment".

Web of Bissaka

Bloody good!

Difficult to compare him overall with the other top strikers we had because it's only one season while the others were that good for more.

If we only compare sole season performance/player then:
  1. Yorke 1998/9
  2. Ruud 2002/3
  3. RVP 2012/13
*Not including Ronaldo, only the pure "strikers".

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortitude

Renegade

Bloody good!

Difficult to compare him overall with the other top strikers we had because it's only one season while the others were that good for more.

If we only compare sole season performance/player then:
  1. Yorke 1998/9 (?)
  2. Ruud 2002/3 (?)
  3. RVP 2012/13 (?)
*Not including Ronaldo, only the "pure strikers". And I don't remember the exact seasons, haven't re-check yet.
Rooney 09/10 needs a mention. I’m sure that’s the season most were saying he was number 3 behind Messi & Ronaldo. Or was it 11/12 I can’t remember which one it was for certain.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty sure he scored away at Liverpool chelsea arsenal spurs and city that season iirc. He won you guys that title. That and the final season at arsenal he was incredible.

Josh 76

I've said it many times.
Pound for pound, at his peak condition, the best striker we have had this club in the PL.

The first part of his first season....there was a moment every time he got the ball, I thought he would score or do something magical.

Wish we got him 3 or 4 years earlier.
Ronaldo RVP Rooney (in their prime).....forget about it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Super player. So many games that season where we’d been absolute trash, only for van Persie to pop out from nowhere and smash one in.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He was 3rd best player in the world for me that season. At least in the first half of it or so.

TsuWave

You know he was amazing because after so many years at Arsenal he still became a cult hero here in so little time.

My only wish is that we’d gotten him earlier.

norm87cro

He was up there with Ruud and CR7 and probably a better "striker" (not player) than Rooney, Cantona, Berbatov and a few more. The man was simply brilliant and personally I was a complete hypocrit when van Persie started banging goals in for us because I hated him before he joined.

El Jefe

Same level as Ruud in his prime. Would have surpassed him had he not had that mini goal drought.
I don't see how. Ruud scored way more goals in 02/03 and was excellent in the CL too unlike RVP.

Ruud won the golden boot in the League and CL. He was clearly better than RVP for me but I must say the first half of the season from RVP was other worldly.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
My preferences, in my time watching The Red Devils, on United's top individual striker campaigns.

1.Ruud 01/02
2.Rooney 09/10
3. Ruud 02/03
4.Yorke 98/99
5.RVP 12/13
---------------------
6.Sheringham 00/01
7.Cole 98/99
8. Hughes 90/91
9.Ole 01/02
10.Cole 99/00

thepolice123

The first half of the season he was pushing top 3 player in the world. That was how good he was. Couldn't maintain his form and went through a barren spell. Came back to form in the final parts of the season to usher us to the title.

Chabon

My preferences, in my time watching The Red Devils, on United's top individual striker campaigns.

1.Ruud 01/02
2.Rooney 09/10
3.Ruud 02/03
4.Yorke 98/99
5.RVP 12/13
I think this is fair, as the main difference between him and the four performances above him is that they all made a substantial mark in Europe, whereas RVP fluffed his lines against Madrid.

Josh 76

1.Ruud 01/02
2.Rooney 09/10
3. Ruud 02/03
4.Yorke 98/99
5.RVP 12/13
---------------------
6.Sheringham 00/01
7.Cole 98/99
8. Hughes 90/91
9.Ole 01/02
10.Cole 99/00
That's a good way of looking at it

Art Vandelay

He was fecking magnificent in that first season. Injuries came back a bit in the subsequent seasons and the managers we brought in being shit didn't help.

Hellboy

I remember his volley against Villa but I will also remember the 2 or 3 chances he missed against Madrid ...

jem

Rooney 09/10 needs a mention. I’m sure that’s the season most were saying he was number 3 behind Messi & Ronaldo. Or was it 11/12 I can’t remember which one it was for certain.
2009-10. Talismanic.

jem

I remember his volley against Villa but I will also remember the 2 or 3 chances he missed against Madrid ...
I remember Ronaldo's 2007-8 season. I also remember the missed penalty in the CL final.

What's your point?

thepolice123

I think this is fair, as the main difference between him and the four performances above him is that they all made a substantial mark in Europe, whereas RVP fluffed his lines against Madrid.
RVP only had one season where we really made a serious challenge for the CL. He probably also got the worst team out of the 4.

Chabon

RVP only had one season where we really made a serious challenge for the CL. He probably also got the worst team out of the 4.
We're only talking about individual seasons, and in that season he didn't make any impact on the CL. And the quality of the rest of the side isn't what made him miss a bunch of good chances across two legs against Madrid, one of which was an absolute sitter.

Foxbatt

To me Ruud was too selfish. RVP created many too plus he took the corners too. If he didn't take the corners he would have scored more.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
RVP was insane but I’d still have peak Ruud above him. He was the best finisher I’ve ever seen.