RW Options

croadyman

Neither was Salah or Mane when they bought them from Roma or Southampton though.. Should we continue to go for the "finished article" and pay the premium i.e. the star players with high transfer fees and wage demands, the Di Marias if you like, or should we go for someone on the rise and with the potential of becoming that level of player for half of the outlay?
I personally think we should go for the latter. Worst case we manage to ship them on if they're not good enough (like Daniel James)
Yeah feel we should go for established names in midfield, however not averse to left footer on RW with potential to grow

userman

I agree in many ways but in that case our scouting and hit rate for those kind of young, relatively unproven talents needs to improve drastically.
You're right, but at the same time I feel that we're now buying players like we don't do scouting at all.. We're buying whoever is popular at the time having a good season, whoever other clubs publicly wants to get rid of, or whoever former players recommends us.

Sparky Rhiwabon

So, what are the alternative, assuming that Antony will be overpriced as Ajax don’t want to lose their whole team in one go?

Gnabry
Jarrod Bowen? Would also be expensive maybe though
Ziyech? Seems to be available and was great under Ten Hag before
Sterling? Seems to be available possibly
Anyone else, maybe someone under the radar?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I will personally puke if we buy another right footed RW.

Redcy

Moussa Diaby would be my choice. Madueke or Olise could be worth it as well.

Seasonal heatmaps from the last 3 seasons:

None of them are defensively strong on the right. EtH generally uses players who can track back and retain the ball well. He could obviously adapt, but these are all more traditional wingers.

bucky

None of them are defensively strong on the right. EtH generally uses players who can track back and retain the ball well. He could obviously adapt, but these are all more traditional wingers.
Olise definitely works hard out of possession. Madueke is too early to tell and Diaby could be coached to do it.

croadyman

Still reckon Utd think Antony pushes for the move later in the window, however would be delighted if we went for Gnabry if totally priced out.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Still reckon Utd think Antony pushes for the move later in the window, however would be delighted if we went for Gnabry if totally priced out.
Gnabry apprently has weight problems and has been inconsistent of late. Dembele is too high risk, maybe Diaby? Doesn't feel like there are lots of options in this window. Hence why everyone's going crazy for Rafinha. When it's all said and done, I think it'll still be Antony personally.

Charles Miller

I'm not sure if Nkuku is exactly a right winger and if can do the defensive work but, he would be my my priority. Probably priced out anyway.

Dannn411

Antony (highly unlikely now)
Diaby
Amad given a consistent run of 90 mins. There's a reason we spent that much. He should be given a chance to try and fulfill his potential.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Sancho with one of Amad of pallestri as back up will be fine, not a position that desperately needs strengthening and we really need to decide now what to do with both of the two young natural fits for this position we already have.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I'm not sure if Nkuku is exactly a right winger and if can do the defensive work but, he would be my my priority. Probably priced out anyway.
He's not really a winger, more a forward and prefers to play centrally or on the left (yep another one of those). His dribbling isn't that great either.

Xaviboy

Funny some of squad are back since Monday training. The Martinez news comes out late last night about a bid I wonder has he seen something this week in training from players that has given ETH the idea to drop a RW target for moment and worry about other postions.

We might not end up getting any attacker in this window.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Moussa Diaby I like

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Sancho with one of Amad of pallestri as back up will be fine, not a position that desperately needs strengthening and we really need to decide now what to do with both of the two young natural fits for this position we already have.
We definitely need another forward/ winger. Right now, we have 4 senior players for 3 positions (assuming we play 4231). This includes Martial be the way. That's just not enough, we need one more.

Bojan Djordjic

Olise definitely works hard out of possession. Madueke is too early to tell and Diaby could be coached to do it.
I think Madueke's biggest red flag is that he seems to be very injury prone. He looks like a really good prospect other than that.

Aeryis

Moussa Diaby I like

Ditto on Moussa Diaby. Explosive, great with his feet, takes on his man, and scores goals. I like him the best. Anyone who thinks Sancho can do a job on RW wasn't paying attention last season. Sancho belongs to LW alongside Rashford. Amad and Pellistri haven't shown that they're good enough for the premier league yet, let alone our club. They're a part of the loan army. As of now, we need another RW option.

bucky

Diaby isn't happening considering what Leverkusen are demanding.

bucky

I think Madueke's biggest red flag is that he seems to be very injury prone. He looks like a really good prospect other than that.
I don't know whether he is injury-prone, just that he missed quite a lot of time last season. Was it multiple injuries or just one?

Dazzmondo

I don't think we're getting any attackers. I think we'll try again for Antony at a more reasonable price next season, and this season start with a front 3 of Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford with some combo of Garnacho, Diallo, Pellistri and Elanga getting plenty of chances to show what they can do and Martial getting regular mins off the bench or in rotation. Personally don't think the forward positions are as big of a weakness as most others seem to, especially when you consider the amount of goals and assists Bruno will likely be providing from midfield. Martial did get 20 goals just 2 seasons ago and while I don't expect anything like that this season he's adequate cover for all of the front 3 positions (we're stuck with him regardless because no club will buy him). Some of our most talented youngsters are in the wide areas so if we aren't going to give them a chance to come into the team every now and then to see if they can perform what's the point in even having them? Might as well just sell them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With Antony not looking likely this summer and Nkunku extending his contract looking like a next year thing for anybody... I don't see it. RW definitely seemed like a must for me, but we'll see. Maybe Eriksen/Bruno will be used wide and there you go.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We gotta stop doing shit like this. We already have Diallo and Pellestri we "wasted" our budget on.
We are in a terrible state if 10m on a project is classed as ‘blowing the budget’

Bojan Djordjic

We are in a terrible state if 10m on a project is classed as ‘blowing the budget’
In fairness, we have a finite overall budget and we have pressing needs in the first team that need to be addressed. Spending €10mn on a project player for a position we have other project players can justifiably be called blowing the budget as it might prevent us buying someone we need right now.

Dazzmondo

£10m isn't really cheap for a young player from Brazil. If we were signing a talented young rb or cm it would make more sense. We're already stacked in terms of young talents in these positions. It does seem like a bit of a pointless one to me, especially if the plan is to just loan him straight back out.

Giggsy13

With the club in advanced talks for Martinez, I doubt we’re able to secure a deal for Antony this season unless we substantially overpay. I think Antony will be a move saved for next season and it might benefit him playing another year in the Netherlands and champions league.

Teja

Rangnick questioned (rightly IMO) why we spent 25M on Pellestri and Amad when we knew Matic was leaving and we had no recognized DM.

If we take a punt, it should be on a defensive mid or a striker. Not another RW player where we already have a couple of youth options.

Devil may care

Gnabry would be the stand out option but doing business with Bayern is never easy, I mean given he's in the last year of his deal like Mane you'd think €30M with €10M in add-ons was a fair deal, but I doubt they'd go for it. The only other option I can see is Asensio on loan.

Charles Miller

Not a great source but another name for consideration

He is playing a lot on the left. Was excellent in his first games at professional level and many clubs were following him. But had a serie of muscle injuries. Apparently he's staying healthy now, but isn't showing anything that could justify an interest from United in my opinion. His best moments in some matches are very good, but he tends to be invisible most of the time with no impact. Still talented but should go to a small side to develop in europe first.

Palmeiras have another right winger named Giovani who seems to be better. Ajax under Ten Hag made an offer for him but Palmeiras refused.

Last edited:

NoPace

He's not really a winger, more a forward and prefers to play centrally or on the left (yep another one of those). His dribbling isn't that great either.
Yeah, now with the Cristiano rumours, I think if we signed Nkunku it would be to play as a Tadic style 9 and we'd build the attack around him entirely.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Berrardi would be a good shout from sassuolo. I’ve always liked him as a player and he’s got goals and assists in him and wouldn’t cost halve as much as what the others would.

Bwuk

Name hasn't been mentioned much but Ziyech if we get priced out of Antony would be a really good move imo.

Aeryis

Name hasn't been mentioned much but Ziyech if we get priced out of Antony would be a really good move imo.
Yes, let's take the player that's been pulling stinkers for Chelsea for 2 years now. Are we Everton now, where we sign the top 6's rejects? Why stop there, let's go for Havertz and Werner too.

(Also, Ziyech is not a winger.)

Not a great source but another name for consideration
1543231203679113217[/MEDIA]
Now these are the type of links I love to see. See, a player that's actually rapid. To people calling Antony a pacy player, this is what raw pace looks like. Look at how casually he beats his man with acceleration alone. Doubt it's true though, hasn't played for Ajax.

Vapor trail

Yes, let's take the player that's been pulling stinkers for Chelsea for 2 years now. Are we Everton now, where we sign the top 6's rejects? Why stop there, let's go for Havertz and Werner too.

(Also, Ziyech is not a winger.)
Disagree Im sure the Chelsea fans could elaborate but I always thought when watching Ziyech his issue was more a tactical one as opposed to his ability. Could work in another system, with another coach. I'd rather the club sign a faster forward to give more dynamics in the wide areas like an Antony. But I don't think Ziyechs time at Chelsea is a total summation of his capability within a competitive team.