Ryan Fraser on a free

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Pearce reckons it's not true.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The talk in the ITK blagger sphere is that the plan has been to sign him on a free in the summer. So maybe this is Bournemouth trying to get something out of this before then.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh. Decent squaddie I suppose.

Havak

Pokemon master
I expect he will sign some kind of deal by January even if it's just a favour to Bournemouth so he doesn't leave for nothing. Would be a steal on a free for any team aiming to finish in the top half.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
For all those saying we don't need him, a couple of injuries (baring in mind there's at least one a game) and we do.

Shark

@NotShark
For all those saying we don't need him, a couple of injuries (baring in mind there's at least one a game) and we do.
Never mind injuries, we need a higher caliber of player coming off the bench full stop. Mata and Lingard are absolutely useless.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I expect he will sign some kind of deal by January even if it's just a favour to Bournemouth so he doesn't leave for nothing. Would be a steal on a free for any team aiming to finish in the top half.
Why on Earth would he do that? Free transfer = freedom to move and better terms for him.

I can only recall Cristiano doing it and that was not just loyalty but also getting the #1 in transfer fees award.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Never mind injuries, we need a higher caliber of player coming off the bench full stop. Mata and Lingard are absolutely useless.
Yeah, for sure. Seems a no brainer. Of course it's not free, but it should be minimum hassle and as free as it gets.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd take him on a free for sure. Good backup to Rashford, plenty of pace and assists. Works very hard too.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Wouldn't be against signing him. Those saying he would be another left sided player, we're not exactly well stocked on players. An injury to both James and Rashford and we're screwed.

Mark Pawelek

Wouldn't be against signing him. Those saying he would be another left sided player, we're not exactly well stocked on players. An injury to both James and Rashford and we're screwed.
I'm not his biggest fan but he's played on both the left and right wing for Bournemouth. He can play right wing, but as we recently noticed, so can Dan James.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Why not? In the end we need to assemble a squad with depth, so all solutions are welcome.

ROFLUTION

We need depth, so in any situation - a starter or for competition, he'd be a good addition.

We need people to push for starts, so the starters are always on their toes and perform. Something we haven't seen a lot since Fergie.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't know much about him but he seems to fit the bill for Ole's 'type' plus the transfer situation makes a ton of sense for a good squad option.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
He's probably not good enough for where you want to be. He arguably doesn't get in ahead of Rashford or James, he's about a similar level. You need players that are going to improve your first team.

Liverpool are looking at him because they already have Mane and Salah and need better backup.

Signing a player that would be backup at Liverpool probably won't get you closer to them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's probably not good enough for where you want to be. He arguably doesn't get in ahead of Rashford or James, he's about a similar level. You need players that are going to improve your first team.

Liverpool are looking at him because they already have Mane and Salah and need better backup.

Signing a player that would be backup at Liverpool probably won't get you closer to them.
The obvious response is who can we buy who is going to get us closer? And will they want to join us at this point in time?

This summer gone, the biggest winger on the market was Pepe - who was a good player but unproven at the CL highest level.

A free transfer for a decent but not amazing winger saves funds elsewhere. As we’ve seen in every summer, we clearly have limited funds we’re willing to spend; which seems to be abo. 4-5 players translating to a budget of around £100-150m. If we can’t get hypothetical players who are Salah and Mane level, Fraser-levels will do alright.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
The obvious response is who can we buy who is going to get us closer? And will they want to join us at this point in time?

This summer gone, the biggest winger on the market was Pepe - who was a good player but unproven at the CL highest level.

A free transfer for a decent but not amazing winger saves funds elsewhere. As we’ve seen in every summer, we clearly have limited funds we’re willing to spend; which seems to be abo. 4-5 players translating to a budget of around £100-150m. If we can’t get hypothetical players who are Salah and Mane level, Fraser-levels will do alright.
He's 25, 26 in Feb and I'm not sure he's the sort of player that has bags of untapped potential. He may very well be playing as well as he's ever going to play now.

Sancho, Neres, Dembele, Asensio - these players are all younger than Fraser and would improve the starting XI straight away. One first class signing is likely to have a bigger impact than 2 or 3 average ones. If Liverpool didn't have Mane, Salah and Firmino, their midfield wouldn't look as good as it does, especially not on paper. First class players raise the standards of the lesser players around them.

If those first class options aren't available, a better alternative than Fraser would be younger player with arguably more potential, like Dwight McNeil for example.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's 25, 26 in Feb and I'm not sure he's the sort of player that has bags of untapped potential. He may very well be playing as well as he's every going to play now.

Sancho, Neres, Dembele, Asensio - these players are all younger than Fraser and would improve the starting XI straight away. One first class signing is likely to have a bigger impact than 2 or 3 average ones. If Liverpool didn't have Mane, Salah and Firmino, their midfield wouldn't look as good as it does, especially not on paper. First class players raise the standards of the lesser players around them.

If those first class options aren't available, a better alternative than Fraser would be younger player with arguably with more potential, like Dwight McNeil for example.
For the most part, those are just names, really. Sancho was phenomenal last season but is struggling this year. If we were to assume this is just a temporary blip and his potential is as sky-high as last season, he's going to be in the £100m+ bracket, with a whole host of teams trailing after him.

Ousmane Dembele has rather large question marks over his attitude, fitness, and actual ability (he has been so-so for Barcelona even at his highs). Again, were Barcelona looking to sell, he'd most likely cost a large sum of money.

Marco Asensio hasn't kicked on at all since breaking through. I'd say quite positively that Ryan Fraser is actually the better player currently. Asensio scored 1 goal in 30 La Liga matches last season and is currently out with a lengthy injury.

Can't really comment on Neres. But the biggest and brightest Ajax stars last season were De Ligt, De Jong, Ziyech, and van De Beek. Blind and Tadic were more important too.

McNeil looks alright, yeah. But you can be certain Burnley will be looking for an awful lot of money also. The type of money where you question whether he has bags of 'untapped potential' to be worth that price.

Ultimately bringing me back to my initial point; all those you mention, none are established guaranteed hits. For the most part those signings have just as much potential to falter as they do to succeed. I don't necessarily want Fraser. Especially if he's not on a free. I just don't think there is much out there at all that is significantly better to be sniffing our noses at.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
For the most part, those are just names, really. Sancho was phenomenal last season but is struggling this year. If we were to assume this is just a temporary blip and his potential is as sky-high as last season, he's going to be in the £100m+ bracket, with a whole host of teams trailing after him.

Ousmane Dembele has rather large question marks over his attitude, fitness, and actual ability (he has been so-so for Barcelona even at his highs). Again, were Barcelona looking to sell, he'd most likely cost a large sum of money.

Marco Asensio hasn't kicked on at all since breaking through. I'd say quite positively that Ryan Fraser is actually the better player currently. Asensio scored 1 goal in 30 La Liga matches last season and is currently out with a lengthy injury.

Can't really comment on Neres. But the biggest and brightest Ajax stars last season were De Ligt, De Jong, Ziyech, and van De Beek. Blind and Tadic were more important too.

McNeil looks alright, yeah. But you can be certain Burnley will be looking for an awful lot of money also. The type of money where you question whether he has bags of 'untapped potential' to be worth that price.

Ultimately bringing me back to my initial point; all those you mention, none are established guaranteed hits. For the most part those signings have just as much potential to falter as they do to succeed. I don't necessarily want Fraser. Especially if he's not on a free. I just don't think there is much out there at all that is significantly better to be sniffing our noses at.
Maybe go for both?!

Rashford/Martial/Sancho, backed up by James/Greenwood/Fraser would be frightening!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I know he'd be more expensive but doesn't Dwight McNeil looks more exciting ? Of course Fraser on a cheap appears to be a decent get for anybody.

Jericho

Why on Earth would he do that? Free transfer = freedom to move and better terms for him.

I can only recall Cristiano doing it and that was not just loyalty but also getting the #1 in transfer fees award.
He might get a decent pay rise out of it for the rest of the season.

dal

Fraser, Maddison Eriksen and a striker in one window is very doable if Pogba leaves and I think it would be very sensible

Erickson can play cm am on the wing so offeres great cover and creativity as does maddison.

Rashford martial Maddison Eriksen James Fraser and greenwood

that would be good if we could land Erickson which is a long shot still think we need a Harry Kane in there

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

We also need better backup though.

Ace of Spades

He is an interesting option for sure. I would not mind him on a free transfer as a back up, still hope we try to get someone better though.

Alabaster Codify7

He's rather Brexit isn't he, which might entice our lad Ole.

Get his British little fingers jiggling with excitement.

James Ward

I'd take him on a free, solid player. We could give Lingard on a free to them as well, just to be nice :)