Ryan Giggs | United confirm he's left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
Love Giggsy but his Tommy Doc/Russell Brand type love life have made him a toxic option to be the manager at a 2 billion! £ club.

I ,sincerely, believe it has impacted him professionally.*

*His sense of entitlement is baffling too, surely that goes against everything Fergie instilled in him?
I totally agree with this.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I agree. I also think that fan's feelings about Ryan, that negativity about his personal life and his role as Assistant Manager, is kind of reflected that the most loyal and arguably the most influential and skillful player United has had for decades only has 46 pages as a tribute! However, maybe I'm just being cynical.
I'll confess that I don't really know how to feel about Giggs anymore. He's a club legend, sure. But... there's also more, now.

I don't think I'd want him back managing the club, but maybe that will change.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Him ignoring Moyes just goes to show how fans or anyone else have no idea what his role was for both managers, despite many thinking he got us where we are all by himself. Unfortunately, the media have done their best to turn the fans against him and they did it.

Nogbadthebad

I'm sad he has gone, but I was sad that Neville left, Cantona, Roy Keane, Bryan Robson, Norman Whiteside, Paul Scholes Dennis Irwin and dozens of others have left too.

He is a club legend, the greatest club career any British player has ever had I think, and I am not sure we will ever see anything like it again, and that is what I remember, and what he is to me as a supporter.

If there is no place for him in the management team, then there is not, and that is not a bad thing, nor is it a good thing, its just life in a multinational business.

binary bot
Got the feeling from his interview tonight that he was expecting to get the United job.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Him ignoring Moyes just goes to show how fans or anyone else have no idea what his role was for both managers, despite many thinking he got us where we are all by himself. Unfortunately, the media have done their best to turn the fans against him and they did it.
The media have largely been in supportvigvhim getting the job. I struggle to think of any journalist that campaigned against this.

A lot of fans decided for themselves

stevoc

Lots and lots of stories about Giggs not even showing up for training sessions due to his dislike of Moyes...

Can't blame him tbf.
Can't say i blame him either. Moyes as we are lead to believe didn't take anyones advice, not Fergusons, not Mulenstein and certainly not Giggs.

Moyes thought he knew it all, except he actually knew feck all about managing Manchester United. He tried to change United to suit him instead of him adapting to the club.

Bruno8

Why would he want to thank Moyes if he felt Moyes didn't contribute much to his career? He felt SAF and LVG were helpful and he thanked them, he didn't think Moyes was, and he excluded him. Good for him.
Suspect Moyes told Mourinho that he should never take Giggs as one of the coaches for 1st Team after Jose consulted him on his experiences during that 10 month reign. (Just a hunch)

Giggs86

Lots and lots of stories about Giggs not even showing up for training sessions due to his dislike of Moyes...

Can't blame him tbf.
Yep. Wasn't it him that came up with referring to Moyes as 'Everton'?

pascell

Be interesting to see where he ends up and the backroom staff he builds. If he got the likes of Mulensteen, Nev, Scholes etc, he could build something promising. Personally I'd like to see him try his hand in a gritty league like the Championship, it'd give him a good chance to fine tune his management skills.

prateik

Jose not beating around the bush. Giggs wanted to be the manager. Not his assistant.
He had no chance.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The level of entitlement Giggs showed is incredible. Im glad he has been shown the door

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Tbh even his biggest fans should be pissed off if he seriously angling for the managerial job at a time like this, and genuinely thought he was a better option than Mourinho. I'd understand him perhaps wanting it, but the belief that he could step into such a role with no experience ahead of one of the greatest managers in the game (well, hopefully still), surely takes an absurd amount of egoism.

Manny

Grammar Police
I fully expect the likes of Paul Scholes and Gary Neville to be laying into Jose wherever they can now. Tactics, boring football, not enough youth, not enough wingers etc...

Like they did with LvG before things really became critical.

K2K

I fully expect the likes of Paul Scholes and Gary Neville to be laying into Jose wherever they can now. Tactics, boring football, not enough youth, not enough wingers etc...

Like they did with LvG before things really became critical.
There is nothing Jose can do but win.

If he wins, then he will have the fans on his side. People didnt side with Scholes last season because he was a legend, they side with him because they also held the same view of Van gaal.

devilish

:eek:

jesus, this is news to me devilish
really?

Seriously mate, the situation Giggs put himself into is unreasonable. Not only he expected the club to promote him despite having zero managerial experience but he remained as assistant while hoping that the manager who 'tutored' him fails so he can get his job

devilish

If he wins, then he will have the fans on his side. People didnt side with Scholes last season because he was a legend, they side with him because they also held the same view of Van gaal.
I assure you that they will still find something to criticise him on

I believe Mourinho did the wise thing by bringing this in the open. The class of 92 won't rest until they see a former United player leading Man United. Mou might as well bring their agenda out in the open

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

I remember people slating Scholes during VG's first season and then agreeing with him more during the second season, when he actually expressed the same concerns during both. First season was the height of pseudo-intellectual philosopher; anything against the philosophy was considered blasphemy.

Theatre of Screams

Jo-mo has confirmed what most on here already thought - that Giggs felt he had some sort of entitlement to one of, if not the biggest jobs in football.

He didn't want to cut his teeth anywhere else and was a big presence in 2 horrendous appointments. What planet is he living on thinking he is at all suitable for this job?

Good riddance and hopefully he won't be back.

R'hllor

Jo-mo has confirmed what most on here already thought - that Giggs felt he had some sort of entitlement to one of, if not the biggest jobs in football.

He didn't want to cut his teeth anywhere else and was a big presence in 2 horrendous appointments. What planet is he living on thinking he is at all suitable for this job?

Good riddance and hopefully he won't be back.
:lol: My God this place...and what if,he turns to be great manager after few or more years of success elsewhere?

AndyJ1985

I believe Mourinho did the wise thing by bringing this in the open. The class of 92 won't rest until they see a former United player leading Man United. Mou might as well bring their agenda out in the open
I can only guess but if Giggs were given the job I have a feeling we'd see a bit of an old boys club going on, with ex players (the ones backing him in the media) being given jobs left right and centre. If things went tits up it would have been a horrible mess to sort out, especially as a section of fans would have been unequivocal in their unwavering support of a club legend. Thankfully we've avoided it.

Theatre of Screams

:lol: My God this place...and what if,he turns to be great manager after few or more years of success elsewhere?
He won't, trust me on that.

Have to question the hunger of someone who doesn't want to go away and learn his trade and would instead rather undermine the management team he is a part of and get all his friends in the media to constantly and continuously endorse him.

gza the genius

Wanting the job and feeling entitled to have it are two different things. He wanted the job, he didn't get it, he left. Seems pretty logical to me. He wants to be a manager, hopefully he can take his chance somewhere else and come back to United some day.

Theatre of Screams

Wanting the job and feeling entitled to have it are two different things. He wanted the job, he didn't get it, he left. Seems pretty logical to me. He wants to be a manager, hopefully he can take his chance somewhere else and come back to United some day.
He was offered the opportunity to go to Swansea last season - didn't take it.

Would have been interesting to see if we hadn't hired Mourinho and such a big personality then he would have stayed as an assistant manager to someone else. He undermined two previous appointments, probably came to the realisation someone like Mourinho wouldn't put up with the same shit.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Taking Jose's comments a face value suggests Giggs could have had the assistant job again under Mourinho now.

Good for him in taking the choice to move on and cut his teeth somewhere else. There was no way he was ready to be United manager, but if he goes and proves himself somewhere else I'd be happy enough to have him back down the line.

gza the genius

He was offered the opportunity to go to Swansea last season - didn't take it.

Would have been interesting to see if we hadn't hired Mourinho and such a big personality then he would have stayed as an assistant manager to someone else. He undermined two previous appointments, probably came to the realisation someone like Mourinho wouldn't put up with the same shit.
Saying he undermined Moyes and LvG is pure speculation, they didn't exactly do themselves any favors either way. Who knows what he was told about his chances of becoming manager in the future?

Why wouldn't he stick around as assistant if he thought he could eventually be promoted. When that didn't happen, he left. I don't see any problem with that. He stuck around, got some experience as an assistant at one of the biggest clubs in the world and now he left to manage somewhere else, it's a very logical progression.

Theatre of Screams

Saying he undermined Moyes and LvG is pure speculation, they didn't exactly do themselves any favors either way. Who knows what he was told about his chances of becoming manager in the future?

Why wouldn't he stick around as assistant if he thought he could eventually be promoted. When that didn't happen, he left. I don't see any problem with that. He stuck around, got some experience as an assistant at one of the biggest clubs in the world and now he left to manage somewhere else, it's a very logical progression.
At a time when the club since Fergie left has lurched from one disaster to another, it's mind boggling why Giggs at all thought he should be considered. He clearly held them to ransom this summer that if he wasn't to be made United manager he was off.

The club needed a proven (recent winner unlike LVG) man in charge. Giggs would have been disastrous, but I can just imagine the ringing endorsements from the likes of Yorke, Neville, Butt etc

K2K

I appreciate what the co92 for United, but neither they or anyone else should be held above the club.

If they try and have digs against a performing United manager, then they will be doing just that.

K2K

I remember people slating Scholes during VG's first season and then agreeing with him more during the second season, when he actually expressed the same concerns during both. First season was the height of pseudo-intellectual philosopher; anything against the philosophy was considered blasphemy.
It was very hard to criticize Van Gaal on here as recently as September. He had his army of disciples that would question any criticism at every turn.

I realised in pre-season that he was basically a fraud, and it wasnt suprising when things went south like they did.

gza the genius

At a time when the club since Fergie left has lurched from one disaster to another, it's mind boggling why Giggs at all thought he should be considered. He clearly held them to ransom this summer that if he wasn't to be made United manager he was off.

The club needed a proven (recent winner unlike LVG) man in charge. Giggs would have been disastrous, but I can just imagine the ringing endorsements from the likes of Yorke, Neville, Butt etc
That isn't Giggs' call to make though, if he thinks he's the right man for the job why wouldn't he do whatever he could to get it? The club made the sensible decision and chose Mourinho thankfully but I can't see why anyone would have a problem with Giggs wanting the job.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Taking Jose's comments a face value suggests Giggs could have had the assistant job again under Mourinho now.

Good for him in taking the choice to move on and cut his teeth somewhere else. There was no way he was ready to be United manager, but if he goes and proves himself somewhere else I'd be happy enough to have him back down the line.
Exactly the way I read it too...

Of course those with agendas will find a way to paint Giggs as a cnut for this. They've been begging for him to go out and manage and the moment he supposedly opts to do this instead of taking a coaching/assistant manager job they rinse him about entitlement?

He literally cannot win...

devilish

I appreciate what the co92 for United, but neither they or anyone else should be held above the club.

If they try and have digs against a performing United manager, then they will be doing just that.
I believe the big mistake made by United was to bend over backwards to keep them happy. We've had Giggs and Scholes being kept at the club with barely any competition whatsoever, just for them to feel useful. Fletcher was sick and was still kept (and no reinforcement were made that might jeopardise his role with us) while Gaz remain at OT even though it was evident to everybody apart from SAF and himself that he was finished. Its not just the class of 92. We did the same mistake with Keano who spent the last 2 years literally walking on the pitch because he could barely run anymore. However Keane was a one off, when the class of 92 got to that stage there were 4-5 players like that and that's unacceptable.
That lead for the club's quality to nose down, ambitious talent grew impatient and left (ie Pogba) and an aura of complacency grew within the club.

Under such circumstances you cant blame the players (former and present) for thinking that the club owes them big time and that can they get away with almost anything. Take the present side as an example. Its as if we owe Rooney a midfield role because he's becoming too shit upfront. Its not the case

Last edited:

RedCurry

Giggsy will always be a footballing hero for me. I wear #11 jersey and play on left wing because I grew up watching him. But his scandals have really soured it up for me. Somethings are above football and he crossed some lines in his personal life. I want to see the man make changes to his personal life before he returns. You can't handle a club like Manchester United if your house is not in order.

acnumber9

Exactly the way I read it too...

Of course those with agendas will find a way to paint Giggs as a cnut for this. They've been begging for him to go out and manage and the moment he supposedly opts to do this instead of taking a coaching/assistant manager job they rinse him about entitlement?

He literally cannot win...
That's been evident for a long time. That and the pack mentality that exists on here sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.