Ryan Mason's head injury | has had to retire

Fitchett

But it is a foul! A competent referee would have awarded a penalty and issued a red card if the ball was on the ground and Cahill's leg ploughed into Mason after he had played the ball. The fact that Cahill has mistimed his challenge and headbutted Mason, causing him to go off injured, is far more dangerous than the ground offence which would have resulted in a red card. So, it should have been a red card for Cahill and a penalty to Hull.

That would have actually been very incompetent, as it was the box Hull were defending
Fair point mate. I wasn't watching the match, just based my comments on the clip shown by the OP. Should have been a free kick to Hull and a red card to Cahill. I stand firmly by my other points though.

M Bison

Supports
York City
His brains are still on the Stamford Bridge pitch. He must have had one hellova headache this morning.
On a more serious note, I watched the game and my first reaction was that it's a reckless challenge from Cahill to say the least. Not the first time I've seen this type of incident involving Cahill. The worry is that somebody's going to get killed. Is it time for the authorities to 'crack' ;)down on these type of challenges?
What a horrible post. Something similar happened to me and I was in a bad way, really don't think it's something to make fun of.

Sylar

First things first, glad hes better.
Hope everybody blocks that sham of a newspaper that went for the clickbait route using his condition.

Also I do agree with those who say it should be a free kick / foul. Its like when a keeper punches an opposing player but is somehow let off. Accident or not, its a foul, it late, somewhat reckless.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
What a horrible post. Something similar happened to me and I was in a bad way, really don't think it's something to make fun of.
I broke my arm in a match, so 'snap'! But that's the point I'm arguing, should action be taken against challenges like Cahill's because they're dangerous?

wc18

I broke my arm in a match, so 'snap'! But that's the point I'm arguing, should action be taken against challenges like Cahill's because they're dangerous?
You're not arguing any point seriously really. You're trying to make a joke out of something thats not funny and sound like a clown

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
You're not arguing any point seriously really. You're trying to make a joke out of something thats not funny and sound like a clown
Let's just be glad we can laugh about it now and hope something gets done before something really awful happens, instead of being offended about everything a little bit risqué.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Head butts are always aimed at the face. Usually the nose. Nobody in their right mind would deliberately slam their skull into the dome of someone else's skull. In any context.
I saw one challenge like that last season, in a United match even. Will be hard to dig up as the player wasn't subbed off injured immediately and of course the player wasn't booked for it but he wasn't close to the ball, was about 1 second late. Definitely looked to be on purpose.

I also definitely think that the likes of Vinnie Jones have headbutted someone on purpose. Those types of players are very rare these days but I'd be surprised if he didn't.

RedDevil@84

How bad a is a skull fracture? Does it take months?
Heads keep banging in many matches, but how did this turn so bad?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
How bad a is a skull fracture? Does it take months?
Heads keep banging in many matches, but how did this turn so bad?
The part of his head where he took the hit is particularly easy to damage, that's the unlucky aspect.

We don't really know the details of how much damage was done and what the surgery had to fix. In as much as there's anything typical, then typical is that the most dangerous time is the first 24 hours, with risks of further damage gradually reducing.

After that, well Petr Cech was in hospital for a couple of weeks and able to play again after 3 months. But we really don't know what damage has been done, or whether he will have any complications. If he plays again this season, then things will have gone well.

Brophs

The One and Only
Surely Mason if he makes a full recovery isn't gonna be too keen to head a ball again for quite a while. Bound to have an impact on him mentally going in for aerial challenges
That's going to be a problem, since Hull seem to use their midfielders as centre halves for the most part.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Surely Mason if he makes a full recovery isn't gonna be too keen to head a ball again for quite a while. Bound to have an impact on him mentally going in for aerial challenges
he will likely require head protection for the rest of his career and you are right in the sense it is likely to affect his mental state with regards for challenging for headers, etc.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ever heard of accidents before?
You telling me all fouls are deliberate? No where does it say that for it to be a foul it must be deliberate. I'd say about 90% of fouls are accidents. Doesn't make them any less of a foul.

I don't understand why it has to be black and white. All head collisions cannot be a foul. Why does excessive force, recklessness etc not matter when it's heads?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I assume head protection for an outfield player is allowed in the same way Petr Cech is allowed to wear one? Just cant remember ever seeing it
I'm just guessing really as like you I dont think ive ever seen an outfield player using one however if it is done due to medical recommendations I cant see it not being allowed.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
I assume head protection for an outfield player is allowed in the same way Petr Cech is allowed to wear one? Just cant remember ever seeing it
Think Chivu wore one for a good while when playing for Inter.

Brophs

The One and Only
Has there been any update on him in terms of physical condition or him being able to play again?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Has there been any update on him in terms of physical condition or him being able to play again?
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/hull...ctured-skull/story-30212791-detail/story.html

A report in today's Times says Mason is making steady progress, but is spending much of the day sleeping as he attempts to regain his strength.

While no return to football has been scheduled for Mason, with City's only focus currently being on recovery from the horrific injury, there is a suggestion Mason is privately hoping to be able to return for pre-season training in the summer.