Ryan Mason's head injury | has had to retire

Fitchett

Awful, awful news for the lad.

It brings back how I felt at the time about this, and also the Mane high boot (Which was obviously a lot, lot less serious) and how we look at challenges in the air differently from those on the deck.

If you mis-time a tackle and catch someone halfway up the shin they show it frame by frame and discuss how it's a definite red and how it could be a career ending injury or a leg breaker.

If the ball is in the air and you mis time it and head-butt someone or kick someone in the head we hear, "ah it was an honest effort to play the ball" or " the ball was there to be won" or even "he had every right to go for that", as if you have no right to put in a sliding tackle.

Players rarely go into a tackle to hurt an opponent, but if you go in with excessive force whether it's a sliding tackle, a header or a high boot, and you put an opponent in danger like that, then it's a definite red card.

Cahill, I'm sure, had no intention of hurting Mason. But he should have seen red, for what turned out to be, an actual career-ender.
I fully agree with these comments. It's ridiculous that a clash of heads is always deemed accidental, with no punishment from the referee, whereas a challenge on or near ground level is dealt with more harshly, even though less dangerous and less serious injuries occur.

stubie

Rather than start a new thread

Is Ryan Mason the new Ian Wright? Seems to be on everything these days ranging from MOTD, to BT Sport, Sky Sports, Talksport and now even on betting social media account videos

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He seems like a smart guy when you hear him but hard to take him seriously when it comes to Spurs. He's still too incredibly close to the current group of players.

stubie

Maybe it's just me but he's hardly had a decent career or comes across as an intelligent guy like a Danny Hickingbottom

Seems more of a sympathy pundit due to how bad his injury was

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He seems like a smart guy when you hear him but hard to take him seriously when it comes to Spurs. He's still too incredibly close to the current group of players.
I thought this listening to him review the game at the weekend on Talksport. Sounds like a smart guy and could be a really good pundit but it was hard for him to be objective about Spurs.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
His punditry annoys me. Monotone voice and he’s just boring as hell.

He needs to liven up a little and stop the obvious bias towards Spurs and little digs at Arsenal.

He’s just a sympathy shoe-in on Sky and their other platforms like TalkSport.