Ryan Sessegnon | Performances

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Got an assist today, looking forward to seeing him in the PL next season.
One moment of magic from him won Fulham the game.
Thought he did his defensive job really well too. Tracked back brilliantly,very impressed.

He'll need a season in the PL but I do think they'll need experience down that left to help him learn. He won't get the room in the PL

C'est Moi Cantona

Buy him, and loan him back, he could be worth twice as much this time next season.

Would far rather see us focus on buying players like this, and actually try & build something, rather than our poor attempt at been a wannabe 'Galactico' club.

Ekeke

Last thing we need is a left winger, unless Mourinho turns out to be a mad genius who comes up with a tactic for playing 3 players at left wing per game

C'est Moi Cantona

Last thing we need is a left winger, unless Mourinho turns out to be a mad genius who comes up with a tactic for playing 3 players at left wing per game
Doubtful Martial will be sticking around with the current set up, and is he even a LW anyway, & Sanchez maybe has 2 years left at the top level, by which time if this lad kicks on will be coming into his own, makes too much sense really.

Ekeke

Doubtful Martial will be sticking around with the current set up, and is he even a LW anyway, & Sanchez maybe has 2 years left at the top level, by which time if this lad kicks on will be coming into his own, makes too much sense really.
We dont need a player for 2 years time. We need a player for now. In 2 years time, if we havent done better the manager signing him wont be around.

We have Sanchez and Rashford to get the best out of at the very least. We don't need a 3rd player, another expensive one, we fail to get the most out of as well.

C'est Moi Cantona

We dont need a player for 2 years time. We need a player for now. In 2 years time, if we havent done better the manager signing him wont be around.

We have Sanchez and Rashford to get the best out of at the very least. We don't need a 3rd player, another expensive one, we fail to get the most out of as well.
We have a player for now, Sanchez, and if Sessegnon progresses then I doubt they'd be many manager who wouldn't want him.

I do agree if he comes now he'd be halted in his progress like most of our young attacking players have been, so a loan back would suit everyone.

Classical Mechanic

He would be insane to move and any agent worth his salt would tell him the same thing. Has the world at his feet and can play with much less pressure than a move to a top 6 club, could well ruin his development.
It seems he is very sensible too, he turned 18 last week. I can't see why he would move. I'm guessing he will sign a new contract with Fulham. Then if he kicks on next year whoever buys him will have to reward his boyhood club.

Robbie Boy

Yeah he’s been awful but Fulham in general have been quite poor. Still only a young kid so can’t be harsh on him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He snatched at the chance he had yesterday against us and you could tell he's still really naive in his footballing knowledge but the basic credentials are there for him to be a fantastic winger. It doesn't help that the Fulham XI has been completely overturned this year. Difficult enough for seasoned veterans to adjust to new team-mates let alone an 18 year old. He'll pick up eventually.

Aloysius's Back 3

I never watched him much but i thought that whilst he might be a good winger at championship level that maybe he needs to go back to fullback at PL level.

Is he still a winger for the future?

Ekeke

Young and learnin'. But this is why I don't think it was a good idea to pay all that money for a youngster from the championship. I'm sure eventually he'll do well in the premier league too, but if we had spent all that money and he didnt improve us this season it would have been more terrible business. Now he can get to grips with the premier league without a big pricetag being an extra pressure and expectation on him

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Does he look like a title challenging type of player in the making or has he been overstated a bit because of the Championship?

It's only because I heard his name on MOTD that I even remembered the hype that preceded him, tbh.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Has he actually been awful as some have suggested? or just not justifying the hype currently

Nick7

Has he actually been awful as some have suggested? or just not justifying the hype currently
He's been playing like an 18 year old adapting to a stronger, faster league with a lot less space.

redmeister

Forget whether he's settling into a new league or not you only need to watch him a couple of times to see in terms of talent he's not comparable to the likes of Sancho and Foden. The hype around is bizarre given what we've seen with young players who break through at an early age before. I'm not saying he isn't a good young player and wont go on to have a good Prem career. But the idea that he's a "special" talent is based purely on his age, not his actual ability.

Some young players are physically capable of playing this very simple at a very young age. It doesn't mean they are the most talented. Micah Richards, Reece Oxford, Embolo, Rodwell etc are all similar in that they were physically ready very early. But there were loads of far more talented youngsters, with much greater scope, who just weren't ready to impose their game on senior football.

There is no Beckham like crossing from Sessegnon, no Giggs like dribbling, Scholes style passing, Berbatov touch and so on. So why talk about him like he has so much potential? Watch the likes of Sancho, Hudosn Adoi, Gomez and Foden, then compare their skills to Sessegnon and it's night and day.

Castia

Forget whether he's settling into a new league or not you only need to watch him a couple of times to see in terms of talent he's not comparable to the likes of Sancho and Foden. The hype around is bizarre given what we've seen with young players who break through at an early age before. I'm not saying he isn't a good young player and wont go on to have a good Prem career. But the idea that he's a "special" talent is based purely on his age, not his actual ability.

Some young players are physically capable of playing this very simple at a very young age. It doesn't mean they are the most talented. Micah Richards, Reece Oxford, Embolo, Rodwell etc are all similar in that they were physically ready very early. But there were loads of far more talented youngsters, with much greater scope, who just weren't ready to impose their game on senior football.

There is no Beckham like crossing from Sessegnon, no Giggs like dribbling, Scholes style passing, Berbatov touch and so on. So why talk about him like he has so much potential? Watch the likes of Sancho, Hudosn Adoi, Gomez and Foden, then compare their skills to Sessegnon and it's night and day.

Well he plays for Fulham who are gonna be fighting to stay in the league, put Foden in their team and he’d be up against it too, it’s not really a fair comparison.

Beckham was playing for Preston in the lower leagues at the same age.

Classical Mechanic

He isn't as flashy or doesn't have the eye catching skills of them but he's very intelligent on the pitch. He picks up great positions in the box. Look at a guy like Thomas Muller and what he achieved whilst everyone said that he is technically crap.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I only watched him against City, when he played at LB, and I thought he was very impressive personally. Not sure he’s talented enough to be a top winger, but he could probably be a top left back. I fell asleep a bit in the second half, but Sterling go little change out of him in the first, and he halted a number of attacks.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

You're acting like there is only one style of player that can be successful. None of them are close to him defensively and neither are they close to his positioning in the box and finishing.

He'll get loads of shit this season from people who have never actually watched him before and will say he is shit because his isn't just a cut inside and shoot type winger.

redmeister

Well he plays for Fulham who are gonna be fighting to stay in the league, put Foden in their team and he’d be up against it too, it’s not really a fair comparison.

It is a fair comparison, as Im talking about his individual technical ability and his scope for improvement based on that. The fact Beckham was playing for Preston enhances my point. The most gifted players often need time to be able to show their ability at the top level of senior football. Whilst there are many less gifted players who are able to have an impact at a young age. Sessegnon just isn't that talented. Again I'm not saying he wont have a good career, but he doesn't belong in the "wonder kid" category, anymore than Micah Richards or Ryan Babel did. Those types of players are safe bets for having good careers and playing international football, but they were also safe bets for not being world class players, as you could see right from the start, that the technically weren't anything special.

If you compare a young Rio Ferdinand with Richards or Oxford, it beggars belief that they all had comparable hype. Richards was playing regularly at 17, but never had anything like the ability of Ferdinand.

I've seen Sessegnon compared with Bale, as they were both playing on the left, for Championship sides at 17. But only blind man would think Sessegnon will ever have that wand of a left foot Bale was showing as a kid.

In Rainbows

It is a fair comparison, as Im talking about his individual technical ability and his scope for improvement based on that. The fact Beckham was playing for Preston enhances my point. The most gifted players often need time to be able to show their ability at the top level of senior football. Whilst there are many less gifted players who are able to have an impact at a young age. Sessegnon just isn't that talented. Again I'm not saying he wont have a good career, but he doesn't belong in the "wonder kid" category, anymore than Micah Richards or Ryan Babel did. Those types of players are safe bets for having good careers and playing international football, but they were also safe bets for not being world class players, as you could see right from the start, that the technically weren't anything special.

If you compare a young Rio Ferdinand with Richards or Oxford, it beggars belief that they all had comparable hype. Richards was playing regularly at 17, but never had anything like the ability of Ferdinand.

I've seen Sessegnon compared with Bale, as they were both playing on the left, for Championship sides at 17. But only blind man would think Sessegnon will ever have that wand of a left foot Bale was showing as a kid.
You have to understand the context of Sessegnon. He was always a LB. He was exceeding expectations as a LB and then they moved him to LW because of that. He impressed in that position in the Championship at age 17 even though he was a LB. That is from where a lot of us are judging him by. He comes from the same golden generation that is Sancho, Foden, Hudson Odoi, his brother Steven, Gomes, etc... except that he was ahead in his development.

Just move him back to LB and all of your complaints will vanish because your criticism comes from not having much to affect the attacking side of the game as a pure attacker.

Inigo Montoya

TBF Beckham played a month, scored 2 goals and impressed with his application and professionalism. He was bigger and stronger at that age

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've watched him maybe 2/3 times in the PL but I didn't think he was bad? For an 18 year old, he seems to be handling the PL quite decently.

Inigo Montoya

I've watched him maybe 2/3 times in the PL but I didn't think he was bad? For an 18 year old, he seems to be handling the PL quite decently.
He isn't bad and won't be a bad player. Think he was lauded far too much for his Fulham form;some thinking he was a world class winger in the making,taking on players and beating them for fun etc.

What he did demonstrate was a knack for appearing in the right place at the right time and good awareness of team mates. I feel he could develop into a Lahm type of player given his stature,pace and skill

Castia

I honestly don’t agree with a word you’re saying. Beckham had scored 2 goals in lower league football at 18 whilst Sessegnon ripped the league apart.

Bale was a left back with potential but was often dropped, even when he made his Spurs move he couldn’t get a run of games, didn’t they go on a daft run where they lost every game Bale played? At 18 nobody could tell Bale would be a 30 goal a season player he’d hardly moved from left back.

I don’t know how Sessegnon will turn out but it’s too early to write him off he’s 18 years old.

Classical Mechanic

I honestly don’t agree with a word you’re saying. Beckham had scored 2 goals in lower league football at 18 whilst Sessegnon ripped the league apart.

Bale was a left back with potential but was a often dropped, even when he made his Spurs move he couldn’t get a run of games, didn’t they go on a daft run where they lost every game Bale played? At 18 nobody could tell Bale would be a 30 goal a season player he’d hardly moved from left back.

I don’t know how Sessegnon will turn out but it’s too early to write him off he’s 18 years old.
Bale played 24 games for Spurs in his first two seasons and they didn't win any of those games. So he had to wait 2 years to be on the winning side.