Ryan Sessegnon | Performances

Boycott

He isn't bad and won't be a bad player. Think he was lauded far too much for his Fulham form;some thinking he was a world class winger in the making,taking on players and beating them for fun etc.

What he did demonstrate was a knack for appearing in the right place at the right time and good awareness of team mates. I feel he could develop into a Lahm type of player given his stature,pace and skill
I think you've nailed it. It got to the point where every time he scored the hype was huge "Sessengon wow" "17 years old" etc, yet I'd watch the clip afterwards and it was a tap in or pretty easy finish.

Now of course there is great skill in reading play and getting into the positions. He's a very smart player and will only get better but his smartest decision was to stay at Fulham. He'll play 80 or so games more by the time he is 20 so all that experience without the pressure of a price tag or big club is important.

redmeister

I honestly don’t agree with a word you’re saying. Beckham had scored 2 goals in lower league football at 18 whilst Sessegnon ripped the league apart.

Bale was a left back with potential but was often dropped, even when he made his Spurs move he couldn’t get a run of games, didn’t they go on a daft run where they lost every game Bale played? At 18 nobody could tell Bale would be a 30 goal a season player he’d hardly moved from left back.

I don’t know how Sessegnon will turn out but it’s too early to write him off he’s 18 years old.
I'm not writing him off, I'm just saying he isn't an elite talent and not worthy of the hype. He's just not that talented, in the way Bale was. Bale struggled with injuries and so on, but people have forgotten how technically good he was. The potential was there to go right to the top. Most players even with the potential don't make it to the elite level. But Sessegnon doesn't have that potential. People are judging him on what he's achieved at such a young age, rather than his actual skill set and where he can go with that. As I said before, he could have a good Prem career and play International football, but he's doesn't belong in the "wonder kid" status group. He's not a special talent.

redmeister

Exactly, I’m sure he was deemed a flop for a long while.
Bale had 2 surgeries during that period. He actually had a flying start to his Spurs career, but that's never mentioned and people like to tell the story as if he was a flop and then turned it around. The truth is he had a great start and then had injury problems.

This is the reality of 18 year old Bale's start at Spurs. He played 8 games, scored 3 goals, injured his ankle, which kept him out for months, he then tried a come back and tore his ankle ligaments, which ended his season. People conveniently forget that Bale's second season why after being out 9 months injured.

This is what he was doing in his first 8 games before the injuries that derailed his career for a couple of years.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Only idiots thought Bale was a flop. As if Spurs losing games was solely on him, its terrible logic. No doubt the same people who compare Sessegnon stylistically to Bale, you know the ones who never actually watch any games but love to spout shite.

Nick7

Bale wasn't ever going to be a flop but saying he had a flying start at left back for Spurs is HILARIOUS.

redmeister

Bale wasn't ever going to be a flop but saying he had a flying start at left back for Spurs is HILARIOUS.
He hardly played LB. Before his injury he made 6 Prem starts and 5 were on the wing. Him starting his Spurs career at LB is another myth. Jol gave him his debut away at Old Trafford on the left wing. There is a 2 month period at the start of Bale's Spurs career which seems to have been written out of the history books.

Nick7

He hardly played LB. Before his injury he made 6 Prem starts and 5 were on the wing. Him starting his Spurs career at LB is another myth. Jol gave him his debut away at Old Trafford on the left wing. There is a 2 month period at the start of Bale's Spurs career which seems to have been written out of the history books.
He got two goals and an assist in 2 games that season. He played like a full back pushed up. He certainly didn't get off to a flying start. He was a fullback at Southampton, he played like a fullback at Spurs even though it took him 5 games(!) to start playing there.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Bale had something about him from the moment he played for Spurs. Easy to say it now, but even in his first few games, he made marauding runs, and had a fine shot and cross on him. Very direct. It was clear he was special. Got an injury then of course which delayed his development a little..

redmeister

He got two goals and an assist in 2 games that season. He played like a full back pushed up. He certainly didn't get off to a flying start. He was a fullback at Southampton, he played like a fullback at Spurs even though it took him 5 games(!) to start playing there.
No he played as a winger. Spurs played 442. He was injured in pre season game in Ireland, so missed the first few games.

Aloysius's Back 3

Hows Ryan doing so far? Doing well or been dissapointing? Not watched him much so update would be appreciated.

Would his performances so far in the PL attribute him to play for a better team?

Classical Mechanic

Hows Ryan doing so far? Doing well or been dissapointing? Not watched him much so update would be appreciated.

Would his performances so far in the PL attribute him to play for a better team?
He’s doing OK, starting most games and has been reasonably productive when playing on the wing in a poor side with 1 goal and 3 assists. This ball last week was especially good.

He’s got better for England under 21 too after a slow start. Lovely cross for Solanke to score in their victory over Italy recently.

He doesn’t turn 19 until the end of the season so he’s right where he is. It will be interesting to see what happens when they get relegated though.

Aloysius's Back 3

He’s doing OK, starting most games and has been reasonably productive when playing on the wing in a poor side with 1 goal and 3 assists. This ball last week was especially good.

He’s got better for England under 21 too after a slow start. Lovely cross for Solanke to score in their victory over Italy recently.

Thanks Mate. Thats a nice pass.

You reckon if at anypoint we need a a LWB (not a LB) that he could be a good choice in your eyes or would he not be ready for another couple years?

Classical Mechanic

Thanks Mate. Thats a nice pass.

You reckon if at anypoint we need a a LWB (not a LB) that he could be a good choice in your eyes or would he not be ready for another couple years?
I’d let him develop for a bit. He’s not an obvious break the bank kind of signing. He doesn’t look great a lot of the time but produces end product. Hard player to categorise or to be sure on his ceiling.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Great off ball movement. Easy to see why he is a goal threath. Would probably look a lot better in a better team.

Could be an option for us this summer. Will probablybe a lot cheaper than Sancho, and I’m not sure we are in a position where we can spend a lot of money on one player.

youmeletsfly

Great off ball movement. Easy to see why he is a goal threath. Would probably look a lot better in a better team.

Could be an option for us this summer. Will probablybe a lot cheaper than Sancho, and I’m not sure we are in a position where we can spend a lot of money on one player.
He is not half the player Sancho is.

You pay half the money and you get half the player.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He is not half the player Sancho is.

You pay half the money and you get half the player.
Oh dear. Sancho has been allowed to flourish at a top German club where frankly the opposition is nothing like as competitive as the EPL.

If you’ve seen anything of Sancho you’d realise he makes mistakes all the time but that is also he’s in a good team who know they can win the league.
RS is in a poor team with a limited budget, low on confidence and facing relegation already. However his attitude is brilliant for a young player in a poor team

youmeletsfly

Oh dear. Sancho has been allowed to flourish at a top German club where frankly the opposition is nothing like as competitive as the EPL.

If you’ve seen anything of Sancho you’d realise he makes mistakes all the time but that is also he’s in a good team who know they can win the league.
RS is in a poor team with a limited budget, low on confidence and facing relegation already. However his attitude is brilliant for a young player in a poor team
That might be true, but when choosing between him and Sancho you're choosing between an almost established player at a big german team vs a kid that plays in a relegated team already.

Sancho is already a good player in a good team while RS is an average player in a poor team that might be good in a better team.

marktan

Nah, from what I've seen of Sessegnon there's huge gulf in on the ball quality between him and Sancho. Sancho has it in him to be on the top top tier alongside the Mbappe's in the next few years, Sessengon I've not seen anything close in terms of quality on the ball. He does have excellent movement though.

BaseFishing

Nah, from what I've seen of Sessegnon there's huge gulf in on the ball quality between him and Sancho. Sancho has it in him to be on the top top tier alongside the Mbappe's in the next few years, Sessengon I've not seen anything close in terms of quality on the ball. He does have excellent movement though.
Second this.

Sessegnon looks like a good prospect but I've been watching Sancho more and more since the start of the season and there's no comparison (at least at the moment). Jadon is one of those special players that will clearly become world-class (barring terrible injuries or poor attitude).

You can see it in the little things - his touch, the way he moves on and off the ball, small moments of brilliance. Yet to see that from Ryan.

Bobski

Can't see a move to a big club being the right thing for him yet, too likely to end up wasting a couple of years as back up, stalling his development, then making it very difficult to regain that momentum. Moving to a Leicester, Wolves, Bournemouth type if Fulham go down might be the best thing for him.

Ekeke

Sancho started as a backup and took his chances off the bench to outshine other in form wingers at Dortmund to earn his place.

Sessegnon was getting games at leftback despite being poor. Then he was dropped. Now he's made an impact off the bench and has won his place in attack. But yeah he's still extremely lightweight