Ryan Tunnicliffe

lysglimt

Scout
This could have happened to most of us when we were 19. Inexperienced driver.....driving a little too fast..... start to slide on a wet road...... react the wrong way....... Bang!

The issue is how much he had to drink. If he was plastered, there's no excuse.
Spot on

adamwest

Apparently he had a shedload to drink the night before. If this is true, he probably shouldn't be drinking himself into enough of a state to still be well over the limit the following day, what with being a professional footballer and all.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So yeah...not sure what the point was in bringing him on last night was, but it showed just how far away he currently is from the level some of you seem to think he's at (although where that idea comes from I'm really not sure).

Would have prefered Lingard to have come on if anyone. He's not ready for a test like that either, but he'd have at least maybe trusted his ability and shown some confidence and enthusiasm to get on the ball. Tunnicliffe looked like he'd frozen in the headlights.

Also, other players should have been there ahead of him by default due to not having been arrested for drink driving recently.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's far from ready, but it's understandable why came instead of Lingard. The idea was that he's more physical than Lingard so would provide midfield with some protection. Obviously that didn't happen.

Forevergiggs

Agree with KM on why he came on instead of Lingard. At that moment we were trying to protect the lead and close the game down. I guess we would have been Lingard if we were behind.

I am not sure of him. He looked good playing with Pogba and Morrison but based on this season looks a little away from making any impact here. Another championship loan at this moment should be good for him.

Decotron

Would have loved to see Cole given the same opportunity although I can understand Fergie's thinking last night. This lad imo simply hasnt the tools needed to play for the club (not a knee jerk either, Ive felt that way for years...).

He does however hold the record for possibly the loudest tackle ever made on a football pitch! hes good like that!

RedRover

So yeah...not sure what the point was in bringing him on last night was, but it showed just how far away he currently is from the level some of you seem to think he's at (although where that idea comes from I'm really not sure).

Would have prefered Lingard to have come on if anyone. He's not ready for a test like that either, but he'd have at least maybe trusted his ability and shown some confidence and enthusiasm to get on the ball. Tunnicliffe looked like he'd frozen in the headlights.

Also, other players should have been there ahead of him by default due to not having been arrested for drink driving recently.
Indeed - people are always pushing young players for the first team, and that's fine, but the reality of a club like United is that very few of those players will ever be good enough for regular football, let alone be good enough to be relied upon instead of seasoned campaigners. I think the standard of the PL is so high it takes an exceptional talent to get into a top 4 first team.

Tunnicliffe looks a decent prospect. Would perhaps benefit from a spell on loan in the PL like Cleverley and Welbeck to really see if he has what it takes.

lysglimt

Scout
I hope he doesn't continue to get chances ahead of the likes of Lingard & co. He's simply not good enough and it showed last night, he looked completely lost and Hazard took the piss for their goal.
if every inexperienced player who is ridiculed by Hazard isn't good enough - then the majority of players in the P.L should find another job

Count Orduck

The difference in class and ability between himself and Nick Powell was absolutely astounding, and Powell is the younger of the two!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think Tunnicliffe was overwhelmed last night. He's not as limited as he seemed in yesterday's game. It was quite clear he wasn't ready for the responsibility that was placed on him and needed more support. I'm not excusing the fact he didn't play well just giving what I think is a good explanation. Chelsea away against Champions league winners like Ramires and Mata...he got a touch of stage fright I think. That wasn't his top level.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
My main gripe with him is that he just sounds and looks like a man whom in 5 years will be referred to as "former United youth prospect Ryan Tunnicliffe".

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
In extra-time he looked lost in some moments, especially with his passing when asked to take the initiative which let him down a couple of times. This is to be expected though seeing as the other players around were also mainly youthful and lacking experience and he is a 19 year old making only his second appearance on such a huge pressure cooker situation. By far the biggest game he has played in his whole life under such intense circumstances. All of which needs t be taken into account when assessing his performance.

However there were some good points as well, especially his desire and work ethic which cant be knocked. When he was brought on with a job to see out the remainder of the game he made some fantastic blocks, interceptions and tackles that played a big part in so nearly getting us over the line. He showed enough glimpses to suggest there is the potential of a very good footballer in there, even if its one that may never have the quality to have a career at United.

Nobody should be surprised he was brought on over Lingard either. Lingard is far better on the ball but much weaker defensively and physically, which is also why Macheda was brought on instead of him later on.

Comsmit

So, so harsh to judge off last night even if he was poor.
I don't think it is harsh to be critical of him. Harsh to judge him maybe.

Thing is he was gash, and he was mugged on the ball at least twice because he simply doesn't have the mobility or the intuition to even shield the ball effectively when under pressure. I think the issue is he is simply a very limited player who when placed into that environment.....as a test....make no mistake it was a test....he showed he isn't nearly ready.

Powell on the other hand had confidence in his ability, which is the very least you should have when entering a big game of that nature.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Can understand why he was brought on, but still think the best thing to do aid a defence is to keep a hold on the game and of possession - something Lingard is much more likely to do that Tunnicliffe. It's looking less and less likely that Tunnicliffe will make it. He's not kicked on enough since his days in the academy. Really rated him back then to be honest but he's not taken that level of performance even into the reserves.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Powell looks one big step closer to making it. Wasn't impressed with Ryan, at least he did the very least you could expect - commited himself. His ball to Hernandez at the end which resulted in penalty was a decent one too.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Seemed fazed by the occasion, which came as a surprise, though it's probably harder for someone inexperienced to come on in the frantic circumstances he came on in than to start the game. He needs a good loan now, as do quite a few of our u21s.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
This is a kid who some thought the club wouldn't back because of his recent feck up....It would be Roy of the Rovers if he had of come in and played his usual game. It's not easy coming on as a sub. You're not in sync and Chelsea are one by one bringing on their best midfield.

Some people just want to write a player off - for whatever uninteresting reason. You get people saying ..I don't know why he was brought on...why not ask Sir Alex Ferguson you cock?

Anyone can have what we all deem a bad game...Giggs hasn't been great and then he produces that against Chelsea. People need to be Patient.

prateik

He has been promoted ahead of players like Petrucci and Lingard for a reason. Someone must rate him at the club.
Tough opposition, away at the bridge.. Not judging him on that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's far from ready, but it's understandable why came instead of Lingard. The idea was that he's more physical than Lingard so would provide midfield with some protection. Obviously that didn't happen.
He came on for Anderson though.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it was the league cup, and sometimes it's just a case of seeing whether a player will sink or swim...I just didn't get why he was head of the queue to be given that test. He's got such limited ability on the ball, isn't ready physically, and on top of that looked absolutely shit scared from the second he came on. I felt sorry for him...he'd be much better off on loan somewhere finding his feet if we wna tto give him first team football.

Though I still can't believe some people are claiming he was better than Pogba over the last year or so!

Just look at the difference between how he and someone like Nick Powell handles the simple things during a game. There's a gulf in ability there that's not small enough to just hide by tackling people and running around more.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't

Look, I'm not saying he's awful, but at the moment he's a long, long way off where a lot of people seem to think he is.

MJJ

He stood out a bit in the youth team as out of the trio of morrison/pogba and him, he was the only one with bite who tackled a lot and pushed the tempo a bit. At the highest level, dont think his other skills are good enough as you need more than just bite to make it.

Ringo 07

Fergie must rate him if he opted not to send him out on loan...maybe fergie feels he is not mentally mature enough to ignore the nightlife temptations that a young player can succumb to if they go out on loan too early
Anyways I had a vision today of a midfield pairing of tunnicliffe and ross barkley at utd some day....that would be one tough midfield pairing with the skills to go with it also with cleverley or powell a little further forward in a milfield 3!

NM

Fergie must rate him if he opted not to send him out on loan...maybe fergie feels he is not mentally mature enough to ignore the nightlife temptations that a young player can succumb to if they go out on loan too early
Anyways I had a vision today of a midfield pairing of tunnicliffe and ross barkley at utd some day....that would be one tough midfield pairing with the skills to go with it also with cleverley or powell a little further forward in a milfield 3!
Freudian slip?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Bump.

After a huge clash with reality over his actions and the driving ban are we going to see him on the tour and be introduced into some first team football? Will Ferguson bring down the axe regarding his behavior?

If Fergie has something up his sleeve regarding he or another ball winning midfielder coming into the squad then I don't see why he can't be introduced for a shot in the first team.

westlife4ever

Good loan for Tunners.

Though it looks increasingly unlikely he can make it here, I think he should be able to play in Chamoionship level.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Good stuff. The door looked to be closing a little on a United career, hopefully he can get a good season under his belt.