Ryan Tunnicliffe

LR7

Ryan Tunnicliffe wants to emulate his idol Roy Keane

No-one told new boy Ryan Tunnicliffe that the name Roy Keane is generally whispered quietly around Ipswich Town.

The latter fell out spectacularly with current Blues boss Mick McCarthy at the 2002 World Cup, while his own time in the Portman Road hotseat will not be remembered fondly in Suffolk.
Manchester United loanee Tunnicliffe grew up idolising the iconic Irishman at Old Trafford though and says he will look to bring a similar bite to Town’s midfield.

The 20-year-old – who could go straight into the side for this afternoon’s season-opener at Reading – said: “I’ve taken squad number 16 because Roy Keane was my idol growing up. He was a hard-tackling midfielder which is what I like to be.

“When I was a bit younger he was doing his coaching badges and I had one session with him. I’m a Manchester United fan, I had a season ticket and I used to watch him thinking ‘I want to play like that’.

“He was a winner, he was 110% in everything he did, not just in games on a Saturday but in training as well. That was his character and I picked up on a lot of that.

“Sometimes you might not be the best footballer in the world, but if you want to win – and want to win badly – that beats someone who is more talented, but doesn’t have that same desire.”
He continued: “It’s about doing your job and playing to your strengths. Roy wasn’t the most technically gifted player at United, but his strengths were passing it simple, running about and being box-to-box. He was the captain for many years and had just as big an influence as Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes.

“I won’t sit here and say I’m the most technically gifted, but I’ll influence the game in whatever way I can. If that means running 50 yards and tackling someone then passing it to a team mate to score then I’m happy to do so.”

When asked if he hoped Tunnicliffe could go some way to emulating Keane’s career, McCarthy quipped: “What, on the pitch or off it?! I don’t care what number he wears to be honest, he’s just a good player.” http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich...wants_to_emulate_his_idol_roy_keane_1_2314215

Comsmit

He wants to emulate Roy Keane. Well we can all have dreams I suppose. Roy didn't just pass it simple, run about and tackle lots, he dictated games from midfield. I remember one match at St James Park where he was head and shoulders over everyone on the pitch, all through his passing and positioning. He didn't just pass it simple or lay it off to better players, much more than that. He was a lot better technically than people gave him credit for.

Tunnicliffe aint nowhere near Keane's level and never will be. He doesn't even play like him. A few crunching tackles and simple passing was not Keane. Ipswich should provide him with a good challenge, the Championship is of a very good standard right now. Whether he can make it as a Premier League player is debatable.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Based on comments I read on an Ipswich forum, he's doing really well.

LR7

Yeah, and its pretty much all positive judging from the comments under that article. Seems he's playing on the left wing, but a few of them want him to move central.

Decotron

Without sounding overly negative Id say thats very very unlikely.

Powell as well has a lot to do in the next year to be considered a great addition to our squad, although Im sure he has another few years to prove himself and develop before a decision has to be made.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
if the lad keeps working hard, he should be a great addition to our squad next season. I'm also really looking forward to Powell coming back.

As decotron says, I highly doubt Tunnicliffe will have a chance. He's just not good enough for us I don't think.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Tunnicliffe will very likely never play for the first team again. Solid player, could play in the Premier League if he makes the most of his talent.

mufcwarm92

He's already played for us and his Dad won crazy money on a bet. Agree he looks potentially Premier League standard.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I'd say if we're going to be looking to have a young combative midfielder getting game time we'll be using Ben Pearson who has a much higher chance of making it here.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Good solid player. Loves a tackle. I can't see him making it here but certainly will be a lower Prem/Championship player with a good career for me.

Ben Pearson being mentioned by many...very good young player. Alot can happen though...I'd say Tunners was rated inside the club ust as highly when he was Ben Pearson's age.

sajeev

Ben Pearson being mentioned by many...very good young player. Alot can happen though...I'd say Tunners was rated inside the club ust as highly when he was Ben Pearson's age.
Pearson has shown a lot more technically though. While Tunnicliffe's determination may see him do really welll (he is obviously talented as a 20-year-old United player would be), however Pearson has something about him in the way he goes about on the ball that makes me feel he is going to make it here

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I can't believe he's only 20. If I hazarded a guess, I would have said 23. Just seems to have been around for ages.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Pearson has shown a lot more technically though. While Tunnicliffe's determination may see him do really welll (he is obviously talented as a 20-year-old United player would be), however Pearson has something about him in the way he goes about on the ball that makes me feel he is going to make it here

I'd say the biggest difference between Pearson and Tunnicliffe is the former's awareness and vision rather than his technique. No doubt Pearson's more technically gifted but the thing that really sets them apart is that Tunnicliffe plays with his head down a lot of the time whereas Pearson's got a hint of that Scholesy head swivel every few seconds. I don't actually think Tunniclife's actually that bad technically.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I can't believe he's only 20. If I hazarded a guess, I would have said 23. Just seems to have been around for ages.
This. I was having a chat with a mate the other day and when Tunnicliffe came up, I was talking about him being around for a while and never really been in contention to stake a claim but I guess there is still some time for him, a long shot, a very long shot but if he gets lucky, who knows.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
That's a good point to be sure, he has time to add more dimensions to his game. And he can play in central midfield, so we're likely to give him even more of a chance I would think.

I like the idea of him getting time in a more attacking role, I'm sure we all remember how that did a world of good for Cleverley, playing left wing during much of his loan time.

Minkaro

Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy has admitted Manchester United midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe's loan deal could be extended if it suits all parties.

The 20-year-old has impressed during his time with the Tractor Boys with the terms of his current agreement due to see him return to Old Trafford at the end of the year.

Ipswich have been beaten just once in the seven games in which Tunnicliffe has started, leading to speculation that the Championship club could look to keep him for the remainder of the season.

But McCarthy would not be drawn on the youngster's future at present, although he insists that they have enjoyed working together so far.

McCarthy told the Ipswich Star: "Talking about that is irrelevant at the moment. The deal was we'll take him to January and, if it fits, we'd go longer.

"It will come down to whether Tunners is enjoying himself - which he is, he's loving it - and whether we want him, and we're certainly loving having him here.

"If the loan can be continued then so be it, but if Man United want to bring him back and play him then so be it. If that happens then we've done a good job. We can't do anything about it until January."

LR7

I think he started off playing on the left for them but has since moved into CM.
Not sure he will make it into our first team, but it's nice to hear that his loan spell is going well. He's playing a lot and getting experience so I doubt we will bring him back.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Bit of talk that he could return in January. Sounds like Ipswich are pretty keen on keeping him til the end of the season though and he is playing regularly, so it's probably best that they do. In saying that, if we do lose Anderson in January and fail to add to the squad, I could see him possibly returning. He is one player I have always followed closely. He is never going to be a world beater but if he was to ever get a chance, I would like to see him take it.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Lot of talk on the Ipswich town forum that they wouldn't like to see him go but it wouldn't be the end of their season, they seem to think that he probably needs the rest of the season with them to get the most he can out of this season, I am inclined to agree.

They have been saying some encouraging things about his performances though.

Ringo 07

A player who is likely to extend his time away from Old Trafford is their highly-rated midfielder Ryan Tuncliffe according to the East Anglian Daily times.
The 20-year-old is enjoying his time with Ipswich, but his six month loan deal is due to run our at the end of this year.
Tractor Boys' boss Mick McCarthy has singled out Tuncliffe as one of the main reasons his side are racing towards the promotion pa es with the run of good form in recent weeks.
The clubs have held talks about extending the loan deal until the end of the season with McCarthy hoping to bring the best out of the youngster with more first team football.
McCarthy said: “Ryan has more to give. I am pleased with him but I would like to be delighted with him.
“He has slotted straight in and I really want him to stay and barring an accident, he will.”

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-rumours-2963719#ixzz2oh46mh62
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook