Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He’s a central midfielder and will play for Chelsea in the two. He could have done that here, probably alongside McTominay. He’s better than all of McTominay, Fred and Matic, so yes, he would have improved us.
He is better midfielder but not the player we need. Fred and Scott do the job that I don't think Saul will do. There was a stat posted in some other thread where they showed how less our wingers track back. Saul with Pogba would just not work at all. So signing another player on huge wage would just not make sense. You cant have big name everywhere, they have to fit the style you play

Kag

He is better midfielder but not the player we need. Fred and Scott does the job that I don't think Saul will do. There was a stat posted in some other thread where they showed how less our wingers track back. Saul with Pogba would just not work at all. So signing another player on huge wage would just not make sense. You cant have big name everywhere, they have to fit the style you play
I wouldn’t play Saul with Pogba. I’d play him with McTominay or Fred. Pogba isn’t a serious long term central midfielder in this United team so I don’t know why people are so keen on peddling it. He’s markedly poorer there than he is in that left space he’s occupied for most of the year.

Swedish_Plumber

Chelsea showing us how it's done, not resting on their laurels of their CL win and continuing to improve their first team and squad.
We’ve hardly rested on our laurels this summer though. I get the frustration at not improving the glaring weakness in midfield, but we’ve already addressed CB and RW weaknesses and brought back a legend (and ronaldo). We can take some solace in that!

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Everyone is saying the same. Ole wants Rice and nobody else. Not even entertaining the thought of sneaky bids or loans. He is prepared to wait.

I suppose we will just have to hope that we can get McTominay back soon and Fred/Matic/VDB can cobble some form together. (VDB could still be the CDM we need)

We really cannot complain about a transfer window that included Sancho, Varane and RONALDO.
I think Chelsea wants Declan Rice next summer too, thats why they haven't bought a DM this window.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea showing us how it's done, not resting on their laurels of their CL win and continuing to improve their first team and squad.
You’ve literally signed 3 world class players including the 2nd best ever player. :lol:

United have already “won” the transfer window.

pascell

We’ve hardly rested on our laurels this summer though. I get the frustration at not improving the glaring weakness in midfield, but we’ve already addressed CB and RW weaknesses and brought back a legend (and ronaldo). We can take some solace in that!
We should've been getting a DM, no excuses. Can't help but feel we only went for Ronaldo because City were looking at getting him and the fan backlash towards the Glazers for allowing it.

Rob Bowman

This one bothers me... we have such a need and clearly he was availiable.

Regardless what else we have done this one was not hard to see working better for us.

Swedish_Plumber

We should've been getting a DM, no excuses. Can't help but feel we only went for Ronaldo because City were looking at getting him and the fan backlash towards the Glazers for allowing it.
I don’t think you can seriously expect a team to spend over 100 mil on priority positions and then spend another 30/40 mil on the dm (in my opinion the furthest down the list behind CB and RW). This without many outgoings, if their had been more than James then we absolutely would’ve gone for a DM.
The Ronaldo move had to happen, the meltdown over him going to city would have blown the meltdown over no DM out of the water - and not just from United fans.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
There’s a reason he can’t get a kick for Atletico. Hopefully we made the right call not going for him.

sp_107

Saul is a no-8 player plays in fred's role. I think we might be looking at Hannibal in that role rather bringing in someone now

i think UTD corridors believe Hannibal is ready

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We've signed 3 players who any team in the world would gladly take in their starting 11, making previous starters into quality depth players. Chill

PoTMS

Why are we not in for him at least on a loan basis? For people saying he's shit, he's better than McTominay, Fred and Matic. That is the bar we're talking about.

James Peril

He is better midfielder but not the player we need. Fred and Scott do the job that I don't think Saul will do. There was a stat posted in some other thread where they showed how less our wingers track back. Saul with Pogba would just not work at all. So signing another player on huge wage would just not make sense. You cant have big name everywhere, they have to fit the style you play
Pogba and Saul won’t work period, according to some bloke on the web who has never seen them play together. Then we know, great that we didn’t buy him then. Bullet dodged.

pratyush_utd

I wouldn’t play Saul with Pogba. I’d play him with McTominay or Fred. Pogba isn’t a serious long term central midfielder in this United team so I don’t know why people are so keen on peddling it. He’s markedly poorer there than he is in that left space he’s occupied for most of the year.
Why would we downgrade by dropping Paul and play Saul? I don't care about long term, Saul is signing on loan and if we are getting someone on loan then it means short term. And Saul just doesn't fit our team at all

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
This one bothers me... we have such a need and clearly he was availiable.

Regardless what else we have done this one was not hard to see working better for us.
A need for him? He doesn't play that role you're talking about.

CM

Spot on. The sooner people realise this, the better.

This mythical being who enables Pogba to play in a two man midfield after trying and failing for years just isn't going to happen. I'm not interested in anyone talking to me about Kante, either.

pratyush_utd

Pogba and Saul won’t work period, according to some bloke on the web who has never seen them play together. Then we know, great that we didn’t buy him then. Bullet dodged.
You do see the problem in that tounge in cheek comment. They work because James Peril on Redcafe says so? Quite clearly people at Manchester United agree with me rather than some guy on internet who wants shinny new player just because other team is about to sign him.

One suggestion, form your opinion on what is being discussed. This isn't twitter

Kag

Why would we downgrade by dropping Paul and play Saul? I don't care about long term, Saul is signing on loan and if we are getting someone on loan then it means short term. And Saul just doesn't fit our team at all
I wouldn’t drop Pogba. I’d play him on the left of the front three or not at all. It’s his best position.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We've signed 3 players who any team in the world would gladly take in their starting 11, making previous starters into quality depth players. Chill
They had their crazy summer last window. If we were the ones with a midfield of Jorginho Kante and Kovacic we would not even consider Saul

90 + 5min

Not sure why Chelsea need him. They have already good central players in that position and will not be upgrade to either Jorghino or Kante. I doubt he is even upgrade to underated Kovacic. But I guess it is about squad.

pratyush_utd

I wouldn’t drop Pogba. I’d play him on the left of the front three or not at all. It’s his best position.
We have 6 players in Sancho, Greenwood,Cavani, Ronaldo,Martial and Rashford to play there. Considering Ronaldo as a starter, it just leaves two place for 5 players. Adding Pogba to that list would be waste of so much talent that we have.

sp_107

Exactly how many teams chelsea want to field??
Seems they look light in centre midfield, isnt it ? Jorghino/Kante/Kovacic so Saul can be the 4th player for those 2 CM positions

As chelsea play 3-4-3, I think Pulisic/Mount/Harvertz/Werner//Lukaku/Ziyech these can play in front 3

Overall they look more balanced with good backup options all over the park, UTD backup options for defence and midfieild is not really exciting though....we need to fix that in next few windows.

lysglimt

Scout
He's the probably the best deep lying playmaker of his age in epl, anyone who can't see that does not know football.
People talk about his passing - but look at the pass (which ended up as a big chance because Fred failed to control it) - it was a pass Pogba could have done with his eyes closed - and he mishit it by 15 yards and hit it straight at Fred.

As for your statement he is the best deep lying playmaker of his age - well, in fairness how many deep lying playmakers of his age exists in the P.L ? If you consider Ndidi or Tielemans as playmakers - I would take both of those over Neves - if not, are there anyone else ? Douglas Luiz maybe

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Saul is a quality player, but the player we should have signed was Camavinga who just signed for Real Madrid.

Thanos

He's the probably the best deep lying playmaker of his age in epl, anyone who can't see that does not know football.
Bissouma might have something to say about that.
Far better imo and a shame that we weren't even linked with him.

lex talionis

Saul is a quality player, but the player we should have signed was Camavinga who just signed for Real Madrid.
By all accounts, Camavinga dreamed of playing for Real Madrid. He expressed no interest or even openness to joining United.

croadyman

Just hope he doesn't end up running the show when they come to OT or we go to Stamford Bridge because that will sting

Status
Not open for further replies.