Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolf

He gives me the same feeling as Thiago. Supposed to be this 'elite midfielder' but just can't see why.

Can7onA

No signings from Oxford and MK Dons either. Must have a rivalry with them too!
Like I originally said, you don't get it.

Move on with your life.

We all live in a perfect world where there are no rivals and players will play for the fiercest rivals to increase their profile.

Jog on.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Like I originally said, you don't get it.

Move on with your life.

We all live in a perfect world where there are no rivals and players will play for the fiercest rivals to increase their profile.

Jog on.
And like I said, those real life examples kind of crap all over your point, which led you to making those convoluted excuses as to why they happened.

You continued to post about it without quoting me, hoping I wouldn't notice, and you say I should get on with my life? :lol:

'Jog on.'

Can7onA

Move.....on....with......your............life.

I forgot to quote you again, I hope you don't notice..............:nervous:

flappyjay

This guy has unwarranted hype. Decent player but won't add much more to what we have.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If Pogba goes I think Saul would be a great replacement but we still need a dm alongside

I think saul would complement bruno well and probbly better than pogba to be honest (though I think pogba is the more talented I think bruno saul and a dm would be better than bruno pogba and a dm)

He reads a game well and I think would help us manage a game better than Pogba does.

Saul as a DM i dont think would work and having him and pogba would be about as logical as having VDB and Bruno so who knows we might be stupid enough to do it

croadyman

If Pogba goes I think Saul would be a great replacement but we still need a dm alongside

I think saul would complement bruno well and probbly better than pogba to be honest (though I think pogba is the more talented I think bruno saul and a dm would be better than bruno pogba and a dm)

He reads a game well and I think would help us manage a game better than Pogba does.

Saul as a DM i dont think would work and having him and pogba would be about as logical as having VDB and Bruno so who knows we might be stupid enough to do it
Yeah I feel like we would still need a DM in that setup but obviously couldn't afford Rice

croadyman

Want to say that maybe a move to Utd could revitalise him but not sure if that's the case or not

Mr Smith

Saul really isn’t a specialized DM. Neves fits more of what we need.
Do you not think he could play there? I'll admit I haven't watched him for a full game lately, but just based on some Youtube highlights (I know), he does seem to have the attributes to play as the deepest midfielder: good positional awareness, great work rate, tackling ability, and quite decent passing range. Even if his best position has traditionally been a box to box player, he strikes me as the kind of player who could easily grow into the role of a #6.

Can anyone from Spain who watches him regularly comment on this?

FujiVice

I've seen it brought up today. Athletico are happy to let him go for £35 million. He's on a lifetime contract, so why would they sell him for that if he's still fit and in his prime? A lot of theories going around that he's crocked and Athletico are happy to let him find some mugs to pay him £200,000 a week.

I cant see why they'd sell him for that!

arthurka

I've seen it brought up today. Athletico are happy to let him go for £35 million. He's on a lifetime contract, so why would they sell him for that if he's still fit and in his prime? A lot of theories going around that he's crocked and Athletico are happy to let him find some mugs to pay him £200,000 a week.

He will probably have a medical?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

They want to reduce the wage bill and Saul hasn't been great in last 2 season. Even if AM wants more money, I doubt anyone would pay that. 35m is reasonable.

This guy played with catheter and used to bleed after match. And was fantastic at football. Wouldn't worry too much about his fitness. It's just a blip in his career and probably a change in team would do wonders for him

Andersons Dietician

Saul hasn't been great in last 2 season.
This isn’t true. Simply no longer has a place due to LLorrente and doesn’t want to play 2nd fiddle. Not this season but last he was one of their best players and playing really well. Even when he played this season he started well.

However Simione has always had an issue with him and they do have money problems as well so no point in keeping an unhappy player.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This isn’t true. Simply no longer has a place due to LLorrente and doesn’t want to play 2nd fiddle. Not this season but last he was one of their best players and playing really well. Even when he played this season he started well.
I meant by his usual standards.

Grande

However Simione has always had an issue with him and they do have money problems as well so no point in keeping an unhappy player.
Why has Simeone had problems with him? He seems like the extremely loyal players Siemone usually appreciates?

Strelok

Yeah there's a lot of noises but tbh I don't buy that.

ATM are known to be reasonable in doing transfers and to treat their players well. Imo it's simply because he's a surplus now and ATM decides to sell him a little cheap so Saul would get more money. It's a way to reward a loyal player if the club doesn't need him anymore. We used to do the same I think.

But I haven't watched him in a couple years so no idea he's still any good. Hope there'd be an ATM fan here who can help us on this. Saul for 35m is simply some crazy talk a couple years ago, he was quoted for at least 80m I think.

Threesus

All the compilations on YouTube and Twitter are from 2 or 3 years ago. I can only watch that goal against Bayern so many times. Is he declining, because 35M seems so cheap for a player with a large contract, if I am not mistaken.

Andersons Dietician

Why has Simeone had problems with him? He seems like the extremely loyal players Siemone usually appreciates?
I believe it stems from when Saul was getting used in every position possible Cb, LB RM LM CM you name it Saul has probably played there but even when he was on loan at Rayo one of the the reasoning of why he was supposedly available was because Simione doesn’t like him.

I should have said Simione supposedly has a problem with him according to news paper stories.

Andersons Dietician

Is he declining, because 35M seems so cheap for a player with a large contract, if I am not mistaken.
He did sign some sort of ridiculous 9 year contract supposedly with a 90 mil buyout but I’m pretty sure it can’t be 9 years as I think that might be illegal but the jist of it is they are also up to their eye balls in debt and tread a very thin line with their finances.

Widow

He did sign some sort of ridiculous 9 year contract supposedly with a 90 mil buyout but I’m pretty sure it can’t be 9 years as I think that might be illegal but the jist of it is they are also up to their eye balls in debt and tread a very thin line with their finances.
It was 9 years and it's not illegal

Iñaki Williams 9 years
Messi 9 years
Denilson 10 years
And of course the absolute crazy 8 year contract that Alan Pardew signed at Newcastle

Andersons Dietician

It was 9 years and it's not illegal

Iñaki Williams 9 years
Messi 9 years
Denilson 10 years
And of course the absolute crazy 8 year contract that Alan Pardew signed at Newcastle
I just seem to remember something around the time he signed this been written up that it is illegal to have a contract over 5 years, but maybe I’m wrong or by adding extensions it somehow makes it valid but also as a player it seems crazy to sign a contract for that long unless you’re near the end of your career.

Strelok

Just curious, say a 5 years contract, but it'd automatically renew for another additional year each season if by the end of the season the player is still alive. Is it illegal?

Like us, we usually have a 5 years with an option for another additional year is that illegal?

CG1010

Just curious, say a 5 years contract, but it'd automatically renew for another additional year each season if by the end of the season the player is still alive. Is it illegal?

Like us, we usually have a 5 years with an option for another additional year is that illegal?
So the player never retires and gets a salary from the club for their entire life?

Strelok

So the player never retires and gets a salary from the club for their entire life?
Well I was just curious about the part 5 years. Of course you can insert another clause like the contract renews only until the player is 28 yo for example.

Andersons Dietician

Well I was just curious about the part 5 years. Of course you can insert another clause like the contract renews only until the player is 28 yo for example.
If you sign a contract you have a duty to show up to training, promotional events and games. If you do not then that would give the team grounds to terminate your contract if they so please I would imagine.

KennyBurner

All the Youtube clips I watch of him has Griezmann in the picture. They cant even find decent clips of him after 2017 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

GBBQ

I mean its obviously not illegal as most of our signings are using this contract, but I don't think its ever in a player or a club's best interests to sign longer term contracts.

For a player it means you're stuck on the same wages with no real leverage to negotiate, especially since United would have no obvious need to sell a player with 3 years left on their contract.

For a club, you would just have issues moving players who don't perform on. You buy a player, pay them big wages, they don't live up to their billing and you're left with a financial drain with no impact on the pitch. We even have those with some of the 4 year contracts we've handed out.

The optional year is a great idea (at least in theory), it gives a little wiggle room; you try renegotiate going into their final year, if they don't want to sign then you activate the extra year and look to sell that summer while they're worth money. We don't ever specifically seem to execute these sales too much and we have the Pogba situation where no one knows whats going to happen.

Strelok

I mean its obviously not illegal as most of our signings are using this contract, but I don't think its ever in a player or a club's best interests to sign longer term contracts.

For a player it means you're stuck on the same wages with no real leverage to negotiate, especially since United would have no obvious need to sell a player with 3 years left on their contract.

For a club, you would just have issues moving players who don't perform on. You buy a player, pay them big wages, they don't live up to their billing and you're left with a financial drain with no impact on the pitch. We even have those with some of the 4 year contracts we've handed out.

The optional year is a great idea (at least in theory), it gives a little wiggle room; you try renegotiate going into their final year, if they don't want to sign then you activate the extra year and look to sell that summer while they're worth money. We don't ever specifically seem to execute these sales too much and we have the Pogba situation where no one knows whats going to happen.
Agreed with all that but my point is if such contract is not illegal then why they'd make it illegal for contract longer than 5 years :confused:

bosskeano

It would appear his reps are headed to England to discuss a deal with either United or Liverpool

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Short of competition for places, I don't see what signing him achieves. He's not a DM and he's not a creative player or a controling midfielder.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Liverpool makes a lot of sense.
To my knowledge, he isn’t the midfielder profile that we’d be looking for. If we didn’t have VDB, or two box to box in McSauce and Fred, then it would make sense.

Thiago, Saul and Fabinho unfortunately has the makings of a very solid midfield.

crossy1686

career ending
The fact Atleti are now happy to sell him due to him not really kicking on in the last few seasons speaks volumes about a player that was once quoted at over £100m

bosskeano

The fact Atleti are now happy to sell him due to him not really kicking on in the last few seasons speaks volumes about a player that was once quoted at over £100m
i don't know about that to be fair....it has to be very difficult to play as a midfielder under Simeone

Status
Not open for further replies.