Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There have been 3 full seasons between his Bayern goal and this season (2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19). How did he play in those seasons?

Inter Yer Nan

Haven’t watched much of them this year but on reports I’ve seen Saul has supposedly been their best player this season and even who scored has him as their highest rated player.

I’d rather have Saul because generally I think he is a far better footballer and I’m not sure we really need someone like Partey. Either or I’m not really fussed and would happily take either but I think we will probably look elsewhere for a more defensively inclined midfielder.
Saul has more flair and is more of a goal threat. If he joined he'd be taking the place of Pogba or Bruno since he would not play as a deep lying midfielder. That is Partey's game. He has the engine and game to cover the whole field but his usual position would be the furthest midfielder back breaking up attacks and putting out fires. He does have a very good passing range too. He's smart so good at the short passes in tight spaces but his range can really help open the field up. Saul is probably the most talented player out of Atletico's midfield but I feel Partey fits in more of what we require. I think a midfield of Partey-Pogba-Bruno with Fred as cover/rotation would be the best in Europe. Partey's game is that he would adapt to any midfield too IMO.

Andersons Dietician

Saul has more flair and is more of a goal threat. If he joined he'd be taking the place of Pogba or Bruno since he would not play as a deep lying midfielder. That is Partey's game. He has the engine and game to cover the whole field but his usual position would be the furthest midfielder back breaking up attacks and putting out fires. He does have a very good passing range too. He's smart so good at the short passes in tight spaces but his range can really help open the field up. Saul is probably the most talented player out of Atletico's midfield but I feel Partey fits in more of what we require. I think a midfield of Partey-Pogba-Bruno with Fred as cover/rotation would be the best in Europe. Partey's game is that he would adapt to any midfield too IMO.
Saul is a deep lying midfielder who has been deployed as a CB, LB or wherever Simioni has needed him. I’d say he’s more astute in defence than what Partey is. Compairing the stats Saul has more interceptions more tackles and more aerial duels won. for me if we go 433 Someone like Saul who is positionly very good and disciplined would be more use than someone who Doesn’t read play as well.

Doubt we will get either anyway.

Inter Yer Nan

Saul is a deep lying midfielder who has been deployed as a CB, LB or wherever Simioni has needed him. I’d say he’s more astute in defence than what Partey is. Compairing the stats Saul has more interceptions more tackles and more aerial duels won. for me if we go 433 Someone like Saul who is positionly very good and disciplined would be more use than someone who Doesn’t read play as well.

Doubt we will get either anyway.
He's played LB more than he's played CB where he's barely played for Atletico. He is versatile but his game as to be a box to box. Sometimes the stats don't tell the full story. Partey is definitely a more commanding defensive midfielder and his game has often been to just sit behind the other midfielders. Saul is often always part of the attacks. It will take a lot to take Saul away from Atletico but for sure he won't sign for another team to be played out of position. That's part of his frustration at Atletico in that he's asked to cover so many different positions.

I watch every Atletico game so not to pull rank but more what I feel regarding who's attributes fit us better. Both are fantastic players I just feel Partey fits what we need more in part because his game isn't as wide as Saul's though it's excellent especially for a DM.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Saúl is simply a CM. He’s neither a forward or backward thinking midfielder. He’s best playing alongside one of each of those as he can help both with their jobs.

croadyman

So hard to read if Utd are looking more for a deep lying playmaker good on the ball or more of a natural DM.

POF

So hard to read if Utd are looking more for a deep lying playmaker good on the ball or more of a natural DM.
Neither I would say. They just want classical all round central midfielders who can do it all. Some might be stronger defensively or offensively than others but the requirement is the same.

The system is 4-2-3-1. In the 2, you can't carry a player who is defensively outstanding but can't play or a technical marvel who provides no defensive cover. Both players need to be all rounders.

I would be amazed if Ole signs a ball winner who is poor on the ball.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Sooo I have a question for you people who know about this Saul lad. What's his short and long distance passing like?. Pogba can ping balls like we know

Inter Yer Nan

Sooo I have a question for you people who know about this Saul lad. What's his short and long distance passing like?. Pogba can ping balls like we know
He's nowhere near the passer Pogba is. He's good at working in tight spaces and has good control but you won't see him dictating play, spreading passes across the park. He is not wasteful though. He does have a good cross on him.

Ekeke

His passing is a bit average for a Spanish midfielder. He's a bit of a dribbler on the ball and can score an important goal, but very unlike Pogba he's his teams best ball winner. He's a more speedy and agile, less powerful Matic that can play centrally on left midfield if we're going to make a comparison with one of our players

rotherham_red

He'd be the perfect partner for Bruno, and would slot in nicely with any one of Fred, McTominay or Matic.

Massive big game player, as well.

Genuinely surprised to read that he's only 25. Seems to have been around for an age.

It's all academic anyways, we'll be lucky if there's even a transfer window in the first place with the shitshow that's going on in Europe at the moment.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His passing is a bit average for a Spanish midfielder. He's a bit of a dribbler on the ball and can score an important goal, but very unlike Pogba he's his teams best ball winner. He's a more speedy and agile, less powerful Matic that can play centrally on left midfield if we're going to make a comparison with one of our players

huh?

DSG

He's played LB more than he's played CB where he's barely played for Atletico. He is versatile but his game as to be a box to box. Sometimes the stats don't tell the full story. Partey is definitely a more commanding defensive midfielder and his game has often been to just sit behind the other midfielders. Saul is often always part of the attacks. It will take a lot to take Saul away from Atletico but for sure he won't sign for another team to be played out of position. That's part of his frustration at Atletico in that he's asked to cover so many different positions.

I watch every Atletico game so not to pull rank but more what I feel regarding who's attributes fit us better. Both are fantastic players I just feel Partey fits what we need more in part because his game isn't as wide as Saul's though it's excellent especially for a DM.
I haven’t watched many Atletico games in the last few years.... maybe 10-15 per year. I have really rated Partey and Saul over the last three years. Partey, particularly, was one I would drool over when we were in the depths of our Pogba inconsistency nightmare. But, I’ve changed my mind.... I believe Saul is a better fit for us now.

There are a few reasons for this. First, Partey had maybe some of the worst matches when playing Liverpool in the CL this year. His inaccurate passing, extra touches and sitting on the ball resulted in a lot of turnovers for Liverpool. I’m not sure he can deal with the pace of play in the PL. Or, at the very least, it will take time for him to adapt.

I have no such concerns with Saul. He is very quick, a determined defender and a talented attacker. He fits our pace of play a bit better. A rich man’s Henderson/Winaldym? Not worth 135 m though. 60-70 maybe.

I think there is a better than 50% chance that Pogba will be gone in the summer, which we should welcome as long as it means we will bring in Sancho and a midfielder.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Kind of similar to Fred the red.

Inter Yer Nan

I haven’t watched many Atletico games in the last few years.... maybe 10-15 per year. I have really rated Partey and Saul over the last three years. Partey, particularly, was one I would drool over when we were in the depths of our Pogba inconsistency nightmare. But, I’ve changed my mind.... I believe Saul is a better fit for us now.

There are a few reasons for this. First, Partey had maybe some of the worst matches when playing Liverpool in the CL this year. His inaccurate passing, extra touches and sitting on the ball resulted in a lot of turnovers for Liverpool. I’m not sure he can deal with the pace of play in the PL. Or, at the very least, it will take time for him to adapt.

I have no such concerns with Saul. He is very quick, a determined defender and a talented attacker. He fits our pace of play a bit better. A rich man’s Henderson/Winaldym? Not worth 135 m though. 60-70 maybe.

I think there is a better than 50% chance that Pogba will be gone in the summer, which we should welcome as long as it means we will bring in Sancho and a midfielder.
If Pogba goes then I would cream if we got Saul since Bruno would be the furthest up field anyway. Fred-Saul-Bruno would be awful to play against.

Andersons Dietician

The source is barely a source but the Sun is claiming we are readying a 70mil bid. Value seems about right for me. With their debt and corona fallout I imagine they will have to sell a few players this summer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The source is barely a source but the Sun is claiming we are readying a 70mil bid. Value seems about right for me. With their debt and corona fallout I imagine they will have to sell a few players this summer.
They have many assets to sell before they think of selling someone like Saul.

Deery

Dreary
Watched him against Liverpool and thought he was better than Partey, although always on the back foot he was always in the right place at the right time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s absolute quality. All round midfielder of the highest level, like a Spanish Keano! Good at both ends of the pitch, good engine, leader, can tackle, can dribble. I think he’s the perfect midfielder to sit between a 10 and a 6, helping both out with their respective duties.

croadyman

He’s absolute quality. All round midfielder of the highest level, like a Spanish Keano! Good at both ends of the pitch, good engine, leader, can tackle, can dribble. I think he’s the perfect midfielder to sit between a 10 and a 6, helping both out with their respective duties.
I genuinely believe we are interested in signing him but get the impression that they are not willing to go above around the £75-£80m mark

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I genuinely believe we are interested in signing him but get the impression that they are not willing to go above around the £75-£80m mark
From comments I often hear when we sign players, we are great believers of due diligence - and it’s a known fact that he’s been on our radar for about 6 years. I’m sure, given how they have developed, he and Upamecano are both players who are high on our lists.

You are right though in that we don’t have an unlimited budget. If we did I’d expect us to go after him, Upamecano and Sancho - but that doesn’t seem feasible.

Also, this narrative about us being the only ones left with money so can do what we like in the market is double-edged. We will struggle to get rid of players for decent money to clear space if everyone else is skint!

sp_107

In this current market, 70M would be best A-Madrid can get and I am sure they will take it based on their current need of money to balance books after spending lot on their new stadium.

We need to capitalise this years corona affected market and sign 3/4 best players we need to fix our team for years to come.

I take Saul/Sancho/Grealish/Upamecano in a heart beat (280M spending but we can get around 180M on Pogba. Lingard. Perrera, Rojo. Jones/Smalling and I wouldn't mind selling DDG for another 60M means with just 40M net we can vastly improve our team)

jamesjimmybyrondean

Partey can do all those as well as pass and long range shots. Would be cheaper too

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Positionally is he someone to rely on as a #6 or would that be a waste of his ability? Is he better without the sole defensive responsibility?

What I’m essentially asking is does he fit in a midfield with Bruno and Pogba/Fred.

Ekeke

Partey can do all those as well as pass and long range shots. Would be cheaper too
Thats like saying Fred can do all those things. Sure Partey can, but Saul does these things better than Partey.

Has also scored more goals, is better in the air. He'd be cheaper because Atletico would be fine playing Hector Herrera instead of him

Rocknrolla69er

If selling Pogba meant we could buy Sancho, Saul and Upamenco id definatley be looking to manouver.

...........................De Gaea
.AwB......Upamenco.....Maguire....Williams
............Mctominay.........Saul...............
.............................Bruno..............
.Sancho..............Martial..........Rashford

Would be abit naughty. Huge question marks over what we can get for Pogba, and with Sancho around £100m, Upamenco £52m and Saul £70m it remains to be seen. Best case scenario you bank £90m-£100m for Pogba and have a net spend of £132m

Doable?

Andersons Dietician

Positionally is he someone to rely on as a #6 or would that be a waste of his ability? Is he better without the sole defensive responsibility?

What I’m essentially asking is does he fit in a midfield with Bruno and Pogba/Fred.
The problem has been he’s been played everywhere so evidence to say he is great here there or there is scarce. I think he could very easily play as a 6. He has all the qualities you’d want and more of a player there.

He‘s been their best player this season according to reports and he is currently their best ball winner. He’s positionally very good so I’d have faith he could cover Pogba/Bruno if we go 433 and he’d be just as good playing with Fred,McT, or Pogba in a 2.

Trying to think of comparisons and he has a mix of so many attributes of players hard to pin him down. He’s good on the ball, he’s aggressive, calm under pressure I know his passing stats haven’t been that great this season but I’ve seen him spray and pick out some very nice passes over the years so I’m not too worried about that.

Just think he’d be a great addition to the club. He seems like a very talented proper pro who maybe give us a bit more fight and steal in midfield. The previous 150 mil quotes no way he or any midfielder is worth that but at 70mil that probably sounds about right.

Champagne Football

Thats like saying Fred can do all those things. Sure Partey can, but Saul does these things better than Partey.

Has also scored more goals, is better in the air. He'd be cheaper because Atletico would be fine playing Hector Herrera instead of him
Every summer we expect Niguez to come but never happens. Atletico will only sell if they sign some super kid on the cheap who can replace him easily enough. Spain never seem to have a shortage of these types of midfielders.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

No. He is cheaper because of a release clause. Partey has been given the responsibility of balancing there midfield. A task he has handled very well. I guess it depends on what type of player you prefer. I would like to see Man Utd get a pure DM. Niguez might be capable of being that, but I think it would be to use him wrong. He is very good at pressing and is the type of aggressive midfielder one should not limit to pressing.

Partey is the most progressive passer of the two by quite a distant, and he still has a higher completion ratio. At first, I thought it might be due to Niguez playing with a higher risk on the last third. But Partey actually have more passes in the final third and into the penalty box per 90 min. He also has significantly more passes leading to a shot. In fact, Partey even has more dribles leading to shots than Niguez.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In this current market, 70M would be best A-Madrid can get and I am sure they will take it based on their current need of money to balance books after spending lot on their new stadium.

We need to capitalise this years corona affected market and sign 3/4 best players we need to fix our team for years to come.

I take Saul/Sancho/Grealish/Upamecano in a heart beat (280M spending but we can get around 180M on Pogba. Lingard. Perrera, Rojo. Jones/Smalling and I wouldn't mind selling DDG for another 60M means with just 40M net we can vastly improve our team)
You can’t have the market both ways. We cannot expect to go and buy all the best players for cheap because everyone has no money, and then expect other teams to buy all our unwanted players for lots of money too. If teams have no money, we won’t be selling our players for big money.

Also, I don’t see how we are not affected by this financial crisis ourselves.

Andersons Dietician

Every summer we expect Niguez to come but never happens. Atletico will only sell if they sign some super kid on the cheap who can replace him easily enough. Spain never seem to have no shortage of these types of midfielders.
I can’t see this transfer really happening. More just wishful thinking like every summer since Moyes. However I’m sure I did read elsewhere they have Marc Roca lined up as Espanyol sit bottom of the table and will likely be relegated.
I think he was supposed to move to Bayern last year but something happened and he ended up staying.

Anyway, a few the Sancho thread this is where I will be camped for the summer transfer window if it goes ahead. I might take a cheeky peak in the Sancho thread from time to time.

RUCK4444

Haven't watched much La Liga for a while but that sounds spot on. Always looked a very well rounded player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Beyond him being on our radar for a while — are there any concrete rumours actually linking him to us? Feels more like fan interest than anything else.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Beyond him being on our radar for a while — are there any concrete rumours actually linking him to us? Feels more like fan interest than anything else.
There was a Sun report today. One of those ‘preparing a bid’ ones from what I gather, I haven’t read it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.